Type keyword(s) to search

Earworms: Music in Commercials

• Start Topic

(edited)

No, they're too cheap to hire a struggling songwriter to write something new and original. I always thought it was odd that on 'Two and Half Men'', Charlie's lucrative job was writing jingles. Who uses jingles anymore, especially ones that would pay so well?

I was reading back over this thread just now and this reminded me of a stupid hipster kid I saw at Panera this morning. He was wearing skinny jeans (which I *loathe* on men) with a saggy ass, fucking tweed brogues or something similar, and a t-shirt with Charlie Sheen's face and the word "Winning" underneath it. I wanted to punch the guy in his deliberately patchy-bearded face. On one hand, I'm old, because that stupid shit annoys me, but not old enough to not give a damn.

This commercial borrows songs from 3 decades. Hang in there, it's worth the inevitable earworm:

I was really terrified for that little mousie! We used to get field mice in our house when I was growing up, and I thought they were so cute. I know they are disgusting, but I don't care. Our cat was a good mouser for a while. I hated when Mom put out traps after the cat was no longer interested in catching mice. Seeing a mouse dead on a trap is so sad.

An oldie that used to drive me nuts: "Looks like a pump; feels like a sneaker."

I'd go to bed with that in my head and be awake half the night. Damn - tonight's not looking good now...

I remember the inane commercial featuring a bunch of women in sensible low-heeled pumps playing basketball. Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thank you Lola 16. That song intrigues me. I must Google and listen to the whole thing. Thanks again!

ETA:  Another thank you Lola 16 for not pointing out I am a dumbass! lol I just listened to the song..and it is NOT Bon Jour...Shut the door....it IS Bon Jour...Je T'adore....lol I"m so embarrassed..lol

Edited by Happy Belly
  • Love 1

What's up with chicks who sing in that deliberately twee, affected "quirky" hipster-style voice on commercial jingles now?

It's like nails on chalkboard to me!!!

And now I'm starting to wonder if it's one particular female jingle-singer singing on a variety of commercials just terrorizing my eardrums.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I don't even remember the name/product of the recent commercial, but it's some chick singing to the tune of "Twinkle-Twinkle-Little-Star" using that annoying "sparkle-jazz" hipster vocal style. It still haunts me, obviously.

Oh good lord yes.  The two that immediately come to mind are the insipid, breathy twerp "singing" about the Prius automobile, and that obnoxious chick singing about her dog, her car ticket, making fun of her client, etc., in the Belvita ad.  When that one comes on, I have an overwhelming urge to smack that bitch with a frying pan.  Let her write about THAT in her blog.  HAAAATE. 

(edited)

I do not understand why there's a woman singing about whenever she wears a certain dress she wants to spend the whole night dancing with "you" in an ad for Purina cat food.  Am I stupid? I don't see the connection.

I say this one grudgingly: I think Microsoft has done a decent job on some (emphasis on some) of its music, especially with the use of "Too Close."  Would anyone even know about Alex Clare without that commercial?

Blackberry picked another song that earwormed me, but in a good way, Elephant by Tame Impala.  Though it still freaks me out a bit how much Kevin Parker sounds like John Lennon

As far as hate, hate and lots more hate - the Coca Cola commercials that seem every where right now.  I only know the first few words, "there's nowhere I'd rather be" because that how long it takes me to hit Skip Ad or, with regular TV, hit mute.  Hate.

I also despise the use of cheesy 80's songs, especially when accompanied by total stupidity in the ad itself.  See the aforementioned Total Eclipse of the Heart, but over the last couple of years there have been numerous offenses.  (I blame American Idol.)

Another edit to actually embed the videos, now that I have found out how. Edited by amaranta
  • Love 1

"Go you chicken fat, go"?

I've been cracking up over this ad.  Because I am as old as dirt, I remember when each elementary school classroom had a copy of this record.  During inclement weather, the teacher would play it and the class would follow the instructions and exercise instead of going out for recess.

Chicken Fat, it was a thing.

Aaaaaaaarrrrrgh!  I hated this song as a child.  I would rather bang my head into a wall than have to listen to it.  They keep playing this commercial during The Daily Show and Colbert.  I can't get to the remote fast enough, so I have this monstrosity in my head all night.  Die, chicken fat song, die!  (I may feel more strongly about this than I realized.)

S-apostrophe-m-o-r-e, there's s'more for you and there's s'more for me, S-apostrophe-m-o-r-e, grab a red spoon most definitely.

Gah.  It's taken over my brain.

It's so damn catchy! And hipstery, with the beard and the vest and the strummy guitar and the questionable grammar ... I'm generally not a hipster hater, but this ad is making me reconsider that.

(edited)

I guess I'm extraordinarily fortunate, because I never had the "chicken fat" song inflicted on me.

You're lucky -- in elementary school, Chicken Fat was used as part of our PE regimen, especially prior to the Presidential Fitness tests.  When I first heard that commercial, I had some serious flashbacks and one seriously nightmare from those days.

Edited by OriginalCyn

My husband and I saw the S'more commercial (him for the first time) on Saturday morning, and all weekend long he tortured me with it- as soon as I banished it from my head, he'd pass by and sing it to me. Part of what annoys me is the mushing together of the M-O into one note. It's like Billy Mack having to get that extra syllable into the first verse of "Christmas is All Around Us."

• Love 2

I don't know; maybe gravity just set in after a while and relaxed his face. I have a soft spot for the ol' Gambler; my Mom loved him back in the day, and my stepdad looks very much like him.

I *might* be known to sing that song around the apartment to the cats. I just can't hate on that commercial.

I hadn't seen that one.  LOL.  Back when that song came out, I was working at data processing in a roomful of ±30 women.  Somebody had a radio on and when that song came on, everyone would sing along, very softly, each thinking she was singing "to herself," not realizing everyone else was singing, too.  So I, too, have a soft spot for The Gambler.  hahahaha.

• Love 2

Did Kenny have that horrendous face-lift fixed a bit? He doesn't look quite as scary as usual here.

Who knows? At least he looks better there. And he has a really good sense of humor to poke a little bit of fun at one of his own songs.

I love a number of Kenny Rogers songs (and just recently discovered Dolly Parton's latest album contains the most recent of their fabulous duets, You Can't Make Old Friends), and The Gambler is probably the one most likely to get randomly stuck in my head, so I love that commercial.  And he does look less freakish than he has in years.

• Love 1

There's a Gwen Stefani sound-a-like for a gold samsung galaxy. "I'm so fanc-ay, you already kno-ow, I'm in the fast lane, blah blah STFU!!!" I can't take it anymore!!!!

Also: I didn't recognize Kenny Rodgers in that ad. I just thought it was some random guy annoying his fellow card players!

There's a Gwen Stefani sound-a-like for a gold samsung galaxy. "I'm so fanc-ay, you already kno-ow, I'm in the fast lane, blah blah STFU!!!" I can't take it anymore!!!!

Every time I hear this song, I too think she sounds exactly like Gwen Stefani. It's actually a song by Iggy Azalea and the Stefani sound alike is a singer called Charlie XCX.

Well I am typing on my computer wtih the TV in the background. When I hear an old favorite song by the Scorpions, "Rock you like a Hurricane". As I look up to watch the commercial I kept trying to figure out what they were selling, given the way the women were acting. Say what "Fiber One". What has come of 80's heavy metal hair bands from Gemany.

The most egregious use of "Rock You Like a Hurricane" was for saltine crackers a few years back. Firstly, saltines do not amp up the "rock and roll" quotient of soup. Secondly, saltines as a general rule are as far as you can get from edgy or exciting.

(edited)

It's the expression on his face when he looks up and sees the way the other players are looking at him. Cracks me up every time.

Also, The Gambler is a great shower song.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 4
(edited)

This Verizon commercial made me buy the song. Blue Eyes by Ladyhawke. The song is a total earworm.

Also, this Dodge Ram commercial, the song is California Soul by Marlena Shaw

Edited by GaT

I hate the song in the Verizon commercial, but it's probably just because the commercial is played ad nauseum.

What is it about advertising now, that companies--or their ad firms--think that we consumers are going to buy something if we are "familiar" with it to the point of complete auditory, visual and mental saturation? That makes me hate the product and company and NOT buy the product on purpose. Just because I'm talking about it isn't a win for them. They aren't getting my money.

• Love 1

What is that horrific song that is playing while the girl leaps from car to car on the freeway, Magnum ice cream bar?  I can understand about two words of it, caterwauling.  Also, that is the brand name of a condom, and the visual while she eats the ice cream...

• Love 2

I hate that California Soul song, because "from sundown to sunset" makes no sense.

And it's such an instant earworm, I've never managed to hit the mute before she's got through "It's the sound you hear that lingers in your ear"

Yes. Yes it is. Dammit.

• Love 2

The music I currently find more annoying than nails on a chalkboard isn't even really a song, more like really obnoxious organized noise: that commercial for pork with the rhythmic pots/pans/cooking sounds in the background and woman humming. The emphatic, almost sassy "mmm. mmm. MMM." refrain makes me want to throw things at the TV.

• Love 1