Type keyword(s) to search

Earworms: Music in Commercials

• Start Topic

On 12/17/2018 at 7:15 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

And while I'm bitching, when did this stupid "heart hands" gesture start becoming a thing? It's styoopid. 

Several years ago I kept seeing this commercial from some special Taylor Swift concert that was going to air, and she did the heart hands in it.  My dislike for Taylor Swift + the frequency with which I saw that commercial + the general douchiness of heart hands = I hate heart hands forever.

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, Aryanna said:

The Amazon Echo ad about daddy's favorite song. The dad shows his daughter his favorite song and she listens to it through the years and then in her college dorm room tells Alexa to play it. Girl, your dad's favorite song sucks. He has no musical taste.

I like the Faces song "Oh La La" but I wonder if the girl ever listened to the misogynistic lyrics:

They'll trap you, then they use you
Before you even know
For love is blind and you're far too kind
Don't ever let it show...

They come on strong and it ain't too long
Before they make you feel a man
But love is blind and you soon will find
You're just a boy again...

When you want her lips, you get a cheek
Makes you wonder where you are
If you want some more and she's fast asleep
Then she's twinkling with the stars...

I'm so glad that we've probably heard the last of the Target 'Round and Round' song. I am old and have fond memories as a child in the 50's of hearing this sung by Perry Como! 

The Target version sounds like it's being sung by a yowling cat; I was stunned to find out that it's SIA, who has an awesome voice on everything else I've heard from her.

• Love 1

This is an older ad, but: Peloton- a bunch of rich people in awesome houses/apartments on their exercise machines. The 'music' is a bunch of chanting with some guy mumble-boasting about 'I got a million of 'em-double ya money and make a stack'. This is probably some famous rapper, but I fail to see the connection, unless it's to remind the masses that these things are really, really expensive.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, sempervivum said:

This is an older ad, but: Peloton- a bunch of rich people in awesome houses/apartments on their exercise machines. The 'music' is a bunch of chanting with some guy mumble-boasting about 'I got a million of 'em-double ya money and make a stack'. This is probably some famous rapper, but I fail to see the connection, unless it's to remind the masses that these things are really, really expensive.

I posted about this very ad in the Commercials You Hate Forum! YA YA YA YA YA YA!  I hate this ad to infinity and beyond.  It is inexcusable that the shrieking begins at the first moment of the commercial!  I never can mute it in time. :(

I think the use of that song in that commercial is mainly just to go along with the shots of people getting all pumped up while using the machines-it's an energetic, fast-paced, aggressive song, perfect for somebody who wants to exercise.. I don't think the lyrics really matter one way or another. 

The one local news channel uses the most obnoxious song in their promos.

They show people working at local businesses, etc, waving at the camera, and they play this annoying blurb repeatedly behind it.  If I've capitalized a word, it's sung very loudly.  The lyrics are just awkward and annoying to me.

"You're everywhere.  Got you.  Everywhere.  Everywhere I roam.  You're everywhere.  Got you.  Everywhere.  Everywhere I....GO!!! Oh oh oh oh oh.  Everywhere I GO!!!!".

• Love 2
8 hours ago, funky-rat said:

The one local news channel uses the most obnoxious song in their promos.

They show people working at local businesses, etc, waving at the camera, and they play this annoying blurb repeatedly behind it.  If I've capitalized a word, it's sung very loudly.  The lyrics are just awkward and annoying to me.

"You're everywhere.  Got you.  Everywhere.  Everywhere I roam.  You're everywhere.  Got you.  Everywhere.  Everywhere I....GO!!! Oh oh oh oh oh.  Everywhere I GO!!!!".

Ooh, yes, I see that one a lot, too. 

8 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Me too, but I don't mind it.  I love that song.

Yeah, I don't mind either, really. It's just amazingly persistent.

I wonder if the download rate for this song on iTunes suddenly spiked up recently.

• Love 1

There's a commercial that is advertising evening (or online) college classes. But it plays "you got what you give" in a slow version. Anyhow, I like this version as well as the original song.

The music from the Modelo beer commercials (which the internet tells me is a remix of music from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly) has leaked over into a LL Bean commercial.  What I want is for it to go away, not be overplayed even more than it already is!

• Love 1

Everybody and their cousin seems to be using The Score's song "Legend." I've heard it in beer commercials, car commercials, trucks, etc. Stop it! I like the song.... it's part of my workout playlist... but I get really stabby when I hear it three times per hour. 

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, EighteenTwelve said:

The music from the Modelo beer commercials (which the internet tells me is a remix of music from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly) has leaked over into a LL Bean commercial.

I can listen to "Ecstasy of Gold" (yes, it's Ennio Morricone music from "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly") all day.  More Morricone, please!

• Love 1

I'm so over the "Welcome to my house......we don't have to goooooooo ouuuuuuttttt" song.  Unfortunately, my husband watches WWE, and they used that song for one of their PPV's, and I was over it before the commercial it's currently in aired.

• Love 1

I don't mind the ad itself because I'm a sucker for displays of bright, vivid, saturated colors, but the music in the Go Daddy commercial drives me up a wall. Starting with the screaming fake violins at the start, followed by the rapid fire "da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da DA DA!" vocals, I hate this ad so much that I've gotten really good at fast forwarding through the commercial breaks on StartTV's midday Medium mini-marathon. Ugh. Just go, Daddy. Far away, out of earshot.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:11 AM, funky-rat said:

I'm so over the "Welcome to my house......we don't have to goooooooo ouuuuuuttttt" song.  Unfortunately, my husband watches WWE, and they used that song for one of their PPV's, and I was over it before the commercial it's currently in aired.

Oh lord yes. Last summer it seemed like every fecking company used it, with the accompanying cookout scene. 

"Easy" by Lionel Richie & The Commodores is playing on Pandora. That song will forever remind me of the NFL commercial with Eddie George and the football dad. One of my favorite football commercials ever.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, topanga said:

"Easy" by Lionel Richie & The Commodores is playing on Pandora. That song will forever remind me of the NFL commercial with Eddie George and the football dad. One of my favorite football commercials ever.

I feel the same way about Minnie Riperton's "Lovin' You" and this commercial. YouTube won't allow the video to embed 🙁.

I hate the music in the newest Target ads- 'Baby Watch Me Work it Now' and the other screamy one that I can't understand any words of. Ugh, I thought 'Meet Me in the Middle' and 'All the Ways' were insufferable, but these are far worse.

• Love 2
On 4/19/2019 at 9:04 AM, topanga said:

The NFL briefly used "Every Day Is Like Sunday" by Morrissey in an ad campaign long ago.  I adore the song, but my husband was unaware.  They only used that one phrase from the song.  I said to my husband "Just what I'd want my brand to be related to - a song about how much life sucks".  He looked at me and I said "The next line in the song is 'Everyday is silent, and gray' ".

On 12/7/2018 at 3:15 PM, funky-rat said:

Yeah, it's Michael and his brothers, as adults (as opposed to Jackson 5).  The "Triumph" album was pre-thriller, but not sure by how much.  

Triumph was released in September 1980. Thriller was released in November 1982.

21 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I remember it eons ago in a commercial for the iMac computer (and all of it's pretty colors).  I haven't seen those two ads (but my husband tends to DVR a lot of stuff).

That's all I ever think of when I hear that song.

But they're pronouncing it wrong. Lee-moo Ee-moo is OK as a rhyme, but if LiMu is supposed to be a shortened version of Liberty Mutual, it ought to be Lih-Myoo Emu, which destroys all reason for there to be an emu.

Likewise, the aforementioned WaMu bank in some other thread. I had a boss that banked there and she always referred to it as Wah-Myoo, whereas, I had too much fun saying Wah-MOOOOOoooooo. I was so disappointed when Chase bought 'em out. But Boss was right in her pronunciation; I was wrong.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/24/2019 at 7:00 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

But they're pronouncing it wrong. Lee-moo Ee-moo is OK as a rhyme, but if LiMu is supposed to be a shortened version of Liberty Mutual, it ought to be Lih-Myoo Emu, which destroys all reason for there to be an emu.

Likewise, the aforementioned WaMu bank in some other thread. I had a boss that banked there and she always referred to it as Wah-Myoo, whereas, I had too much fun saying Wah-MOOOOOoooooo. I was so disappointed when Chase bought 'em out. But Boss was right in her pronunciation; I was wrong.

Now that I think about it, I realize I've always pronounced the bird as "Ee-Myoo", so the rhyme works in my world. Am I pronouncing it wrong, or is it an alternate? 

Aargh...nevermind. I just realized you were talking about the first syllable of the "Lee/Lih" rather than the emu bit. All those phonetic pronunciations threw me off 😄

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Now that I think about it, I realize I've always pronounced the bird as "Ee-Myoo", so the rhyme works in my world. Am I pronouncing it wrong, or is it an alternate? 

Aargh...nevermind. I just realized you were talking about the first syllable of the "Lee/Lih" rather than the emu bit. All those phonetic pronunciations threw me off 😄

For me, it's both.  I have a different vowel in the "lib" of "liberty" and the "e" of "emu," and I don't have a "y" in the "mu" in "emu."  And based on @Prevailing Wind's spellings, I think that's how it is for them, too.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

So you're saying "Leeberty" ?  Women's Leeb?

No.  That's my point.  As I said, my vowel in my first syllable of "liberty" is NOT the same as my vowel in the first syllable of "emu."

• Love 1

I've heard "Emu" pronounced both E-MOO and E-MEW.  I know people who had Emu on their farm, and they pronounced it "E-MOO".  Might be regional, because most people I know use E-MOO.  Kind of like "Puma".  I have heard both "POO-MUH" and "PEW-MUH".  Most people I know use "POO-MUH", but I've heard both.

• Love 2