Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Aftermath

Wait. The Mayor(?) is Brooke's father?!? Did we know this? And he's a creeper. Awesome.

No deaths this week, which gives the show some much needed p acing, but there was a lot of nice development between the cast, especially with the immediate reactions to Riley's death.

• Love 1

I think this was my favorite episode! I was enjoying this show even though it's not that great, if that makes sense, but this was the first episode where most of the characters actually seemed like real people. Seems like it's gonna start heating up soon, too.

I have no idea who I think the killer is. I'm just gonna say the sheriff and his son for the hell of it though.

• Love 1

Forgot to mention this in my first comment on this episode, but I would so watch Bi-Curious & The Virgin.

I think this was my favorite episode! I was enjoying this show even though it's not that great, if that makes sense, but this was the first episode where most of the characters actually seemed like real people. Seems like it's gonna start heating up soon, too.

I have no idea who I think the killer is. I'm just gonna say the sheriff and his son for the hell of it though.

Kieren was conspicuously absent, this episode.

(edited)

?

What does this mean? Did I miss a scene?

Nina, Tyler, Will, and Jake were blackmailing someone with the Nina bikini videos. Jake talked Will into continuing the blackmail because he got into Duke, but was not offered a basketball scholarship, so he could make the tuition money.

Later in the episode, when Brooke's father was giving her the gift her mother sent her, he got a text, saying that it wasn't over, so he was the one they were blackmailing, and are now continuing to do so.

Got to be honest, I'm getting the vibe that Brooke's mother is no longer alive.

Edited by Last Time Lord
  • Love 3

More characters are interacting which is nice.  I had to wonder about Audrey accidentally evening the field between her and Emma.  Like 'sorry that I accidentally outed you.'  Well, 'sorry for accidentally releasing your sex tape.'  I don't know how much I trust Piper but at least she is willing to investigate things.

• Love 2

Forgot to mention this in my first comment on this episode, but I would so watch Bi-Curious & The Virgin.

Kieren was conspicuously absent, this episode.

Coupled with the fact he looks creepy next week.

(edited)

I don't know how much I trust Piper but at least she is willing to investigate things.

Piper's my number one suspect, she falls into the possible age span of Brandon James and Daisy's daughter, if they had a daughter.  Emma's pristine reputation was savagely murdered this week!  Seriously Emma, Tyler got his head cut off, let's have some perspective here.

Edited by sugarbaker design

Guys, I'm really loving this show. I know it had some weak points but I'm a sucker for this 'whodunit' formula.

That scene at the hospital got me. We all know it's gonna be Noah but they built the suspense really well. Also the exchange when Audrey suggested splitting up but Emma shut her down quickly, that cracked me up.

Wait. The Mayor(?) is Brooke's father?!? Did we know this? And he's a creeper. Awesome.

That caught me by surprise too. So does this mean the Mayor is in the same age-group with Brandon James and Emma's Mom? Which means more suspects and back-stories coming soon. And I think there's something definitely fishy with Brooke's Mom. Her absence was mentioned like two episodes in a row now.

Piper's my number one suspect, she falls into the possible age span of Brandon James and Daisy's daughter, if they had a daughter.  Emma's pristine reputation was savagely murdered this week!  Seriously Emma, Tyler got his head cut off, let's have some perspective here.

I don't know. Something about Piper just screams "murder victim" to me. I can already imagine her being killed off right after finding out something significant about the case or the identity of Ghostface.

• Love 1

I thought it was decent. I didn't really feel any suspense when Noah showed up at the hospital nor did I feel any suspense when the three of them heard somebody approaching. It's obviously too soon to lose any of those three characters. 

Oh, and that place would have reeked hardcore, they definitely didn't emphasize that enough. 

Brooke is kind of on my radar right now when I'd initially counted her out. It might just be the actress but I wasn't buying her tears over Riley. Then I think of her using Nina's lipgloss and it almost seemed souvenir like. Then again, she does seem to care about being hated and her reaction to the poll seemed fairly genuine.  

Brooke's mother is definitely dead. Either that or she's apart of the overall plot in a way that Sidney's dad sort of was in the first movie. Maybe the killers are keeping her around to pin some stuff on her.

The main reason I'm not suspicious of Brooke's dad is that he gave in to the blackmail in the first place. He seems like he just wants to lie low and keep his job. I'm not saying it's impossible just that I get the impression he's more of a sexual creep as opposed to a murderous psychopath. I get the same vibe with the teacher. 

If Noah and Audrey are the killers would they have had that reaction to what was in the files? Why would they be so excited to find out? 

• Love 1

I forgot to add--I think that Emma needs to see if she can find an intact version of the yearbook or see if she can look one up. The pictures being cut out makes me think that one of the adults is for sure involved and that's a convenient way of the kids not realizing it. Emma only mentioned the yearbook to her mother and the sheriff, right? 

As for the journalist, I think she would be an interesting choice considering how she's established a seemingly innocent connection to Emma. On the other hand the movies have already gone the seemingly innocent journalist route before so I think I prefer the idea of the son/sheriff combo since that hasn't been done yet.

I can't decide if Kiernan not being in the episode makes him more or less suspicious. 

(edited)

If Noah and Audrey are the killers would they have had that reaction to what was in the files? Why would they be so excited to find out?

That's exactly why they can't be working together, there was no reason to fake that, no one was watching.  However, that doesn't mean Noah and/or Audrey can't be one of the killers and pretended to Noah/Audrey.  Audrey is just too damn likable!  I'm still pulling for Noah/Piper killer combo!

I'll be very happy as long as Brooke, Professor Horny, blonde jock, brunette jock and Sheriff's son Haircut all meet gruesome deaths.

(edited)

I can't decide if Kiernan not being in the episode makes him more or less suspicious.

I think it's more because he is completely unaccounted for while this all went down. From a strictly audience perspective, he has no alibi.

I wonder if the headless, heartless pig was used by the killer for practice on people. Tyler had no head, and neither did that.

Unless you can buy butchered pigs that are headless. All I know is at my aunt's yearly pig roast, she buys one with the head intact.

Edited by Last Time Lord
(edited)

So, an entire show worth of people worthy of being killed and we get an episode where no-one bites it. If Will and Jack don't both die in a way that is similar to how the Wayans brother and his random co-conspirator bit it in Scary Movie, no part of watching this show will be worth it.

At this point, the only characters I like are Audrey and Noah (meaning either they both will die, be revealed to be the killers, or some combo of both). Although her white privilege was on full display when she spoke to the Sheriff the way she did. Speaking of the Sheriff, I find his appearance more than a little convenient.

Emma truly is a self-absorbed little witch who makes everything about her. No sympathy coming from me for her little sex tape being uploaded. Now she can truly empathize with Audrey instead of the BS "See how bad I feel, now don't you want to console me and tell me how nothing is my fault?" crap we usually get from her.

Glad we now have Tyler's head and it is clear he was a victim because that mess was dragging down the show. If they wanted real drama and scares, we should not have known that character was really dead until tonight. Keeping him as a viable suspect would have been far more interesting that the we know but the characters don't mess that we got.

Podcast fake Gail Weathers is beyond boring. I mean that dreck that she was spewing about the pain and hurt of the kids. No-one cared about Nina dying and she did t see any reaction to Riley's death, so what is she talking Bput. Hopefully she can be the kill cause the actress sucks.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 3

That's exactly why they can't be working together, there was no reason to fake that, no one was watching.  However, that doesn't mean Noah and/or Audrey can't be one of the killers and pretended to Noah/Audrey.  Audrey is just too damn likable!  I'm still pulling for Noah/Piper killer combo!

I'll be very happy as long as Brooke, Professor Horny, blonde jock, brunette jock and Sheriff's son Haircut all meet gruesome deaths.

I've felt from the start that it's Audrey. I can see MTV going down the well worn path of the lesbian (sorry, bi-curious) girl being the big bad, probably because she's had a life long crush on Emma and felt rejected. That and she's probably related to Brandon James in some way (why did she have his pic up on her wall at the end of the pilot?) and is repeating his craziness around a crush. 

When Rachel was being stalked prior to her death, it was actually Audrey's voice broken with static, or so it seemed. Yet in all other cases the killer has used the standard voice morph. And she's been absent at all the right moments. And dammit she just looks like an actor cast to be multifaceted.

This episode was okay, plenty of tension despite the lack of deaths. Brooke did actually grow on me in this episode, as was intended.

Is this show meant to be a multi-series thing? Because unless it starts drawing things out really drastically we are going to run out of characters pretty quickly. 

• Love 2

Is this show meant to be a multi-series thing? Because unless it starts drawing things out really drastically we are going to run out of characters pretty quickly.

According to imdb, Scream is a ten episode series with no commitment (as of yet) to a season 2.  Episode 4 just aired so we still have six episodes to go.  Characters remaining:

1. Emma
  2. Audrey
  3. Noah
  4. Brooke
  5. Blonde jock
  6. Brunette jock
  7. Sheriff's son
  8. Emma's mom
  9. Sheriff
  10. Teacher
  11. Mr Mayor
  12. Piper

12 characters.  Let's say two are the killers, and I'll surmise there will be 2-3 survivors, that leaves 7 characters to be off'd in six episodes.  One per episode til the last one where two will be dispatched!

• Love 3
(edited)

Actually, it was announced at Comic Con the other week that they're already renewed for a season 2, though they haven't decided 100% what the formula will be. They said they've considered anthology ala Ameircan Horror Story, but it's not likely they'd do that. They also said they want to keep as much of the cast on for the next season as possible, so I'm not sure how many of these people will end up dead by season's end. It also makes me feel like it's less likely the killer is one of the mains (Emma, Audrey, Noah), since I would think they'd want to keep them around for a second season.

Anyway, I enjoyed this episode and seeing some focus on different characters and relationships. The complete lack of any romantic subplot really helped as well. I noticed that not only was Kieran missing, but Mr. Branson was as well. Which might make sense, given the lack of school scenes, but with such a large Brooke focus in the episode, kind of weird he didn't show up. Especially since I thought it was weird that the killer knew about Brooke's habit of staying in the hotel room (when he faked the text to lure her there and away from Riley) that she had just explained to him earlier in the episode on webcam. Which could point to him or Will or Jake and their webcam business.

Edited by colorbars
  • Love 1
(edited)

They also said they want to keep as much of the cast on for the next season as possible, so I'm not sure how many of these people will end up dead by season's end. It also makes me feel like it's less likely the killer is one of the mains (Emma, Audrey, Noah), since I would think they'd want to keep them around for a second season.

Sorry to hear that, I was hoping for a one season-length convoluted mystery like Harper's Island.  The title Scream itself invokes a bloodbath like the movies, if they're keeping the body count to a minimum, making the killer(s) a supporting character and bringing the same cast back for a second season I'm out.

• Love 6

I think Brookes Dad was involved with Nina. I noticed Kieran was absent and he looks like a creeper next week. Slamming Emma against the wall, Put a gun against her chest. But Yet they try to teach us that's a turn on since we seen in the season preview that she's ready to Fuck him in the middle of an open field

(edited)

Maybe it's just me, but when he put his hand on Brooke's, it was right over his daughter's breast...

ETA: Not just me:

Mayor Maddox is pretty handsy with his bikini-clad daughter.

They said they've considered anthology ala Ameircan Horror Story, but it's not likely they'd do that. They also said they want to keep as much of the cast on for the next season as possible,

I'm sorry to hear that.  A show like this only works with a high body count, and only 3 survivors (at most) for the next sequel.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 3

Am I alone in my hatred of ALL of these characters? The focus on appropriate funeral nail color? Worrying about your social status/college situation the very day after your friend was murdered? The love interest moping around for 5 minutes before getting super psyched about possibly being in the lair of a serial killer! Who murdered his girlfriend! I know that people suffering from trauma need a little levity, but these scenes just made them look vapid and awful.

• Love 3

Am I alone in my hatred of ALL of these characters? The focus on appropriate funeral nail color? Worrying about your social status/college situation the very day after your friend was murdered? The love interest moping around for 5 minutes before getting super psyched about possibly being in the lair of a serial killer! Who murdered his girlfriend! I know that people suffering from trauma need a little levity, but these scenes just made them look vapid and awful.

The nail color stuff was what made it tough for me to buy Brooke's cryfest about Riley. There isn't anything wrong with getting nail polish for a funeral but to ask somebody for their input as though it's something important when two of their friends have been murdered makes her seem ridiculously cold and it's what sort of made me start to give her the side eye as possibly being involved somehow. Not sure yet but I don't think it's impossible even with the killer making it seem as though they were choosing between her and Riley. 

With Noah, for me it came across more like 'let's try and find out more about Riley's killer' and I assume that they're doing that because they ultimately want to be able to try and stop the killer/s. 

Guys, I'm really loving this show. I know it had some weak points but I'm a sucker for this 'whodunit' formula.

Me too. It's not as gloriously over-the-top as Harper's Island but I'm the target audience for this. I was expecting Noah to show up at the hospital but not expecting it to be as fun as it was.

The one I really don't get is the teacher. Not just for his icky behavior with Brooke, but he flat-out seems to have no sense of self-preservation, at all. Sexy times with the student is bad enough, but he's webcamming it. At a school where Audrey's kissing video went viral within the last week, not to mention all the other social media outlets that his own stuff could be posted to. I mean, it's one thing to be an uncontrollable perv, but here he's not even tweeting his own dick pics but giving Brooke, of all people, footage of him to post. If he's not violating consent laws, does he not actually care about or need this job, or a teaching job anywhere else?  Is he independently wealthy? Does he know a good forger? Is he a secret hacker that can try to miminize the fallout from a Google search? I don't get it.

• Love 2

I'm sorry to hear that.  A show like this only works with a high body count, and only 3 survivors (at most) for the next sequel.

Yeah I'm disappointed to hear that too. This show would work best as a once off TV event, like Harper's Island. Or at least as an anthology. If they are trying to turn this into a long term series it's going to get very Pretty Little Liars very soon. If a show is going to be this trashy I don't want to be kept on the hook. 

Maybe it's just me, but when he put his hand on Brooke's, it was right over his daughter's breast...

I was creeped out by that too. I wasn't sure if they were trying to key us into some inappropriateness there or if it was just poor direction. 

• Love 4

You're supposed to hate them, that's traditional slasher formula, and Scream is best known for deconstructing slasher tropes, so hang in there for a minute and wait. Wes Craven isn't an idiot.

Besides, clearly the killer is A. ^^

The structure of the original Scream trilogy would easily allow for a multi season format with a few tweaks.

So far I'm having fun.

• Love 2

Mmm so the jocks maybe not the killers, they have a different agenda and starts with $$$... if one of them is rich why not sponsor the other for college? instead of doing illegal activities..

I suggest the following suspects:

- Sheriff and/or son

- Emma's dad

- The original Brandon James (never found his body did they?)

- Brandon James' son/sibling

Well, I get why there couldn't be any deaths this episode. Fauxface planted the murder all on Tyler, who is now confirmed dead by the cops. The killer has to lay low for an episode for people to believe it. What I don't get is how the killer is going to get away with presumably several more murders while they believe Tyler is it. It's just gonna turn into a few more episodes of 'oops this person isn't the killer. But this person could be!' Also, why didn't Fauxface leave the head with Tyler's body? So ultimately, I don't get why this all had to happen.

It was a better episode because there was slightly more character progression. Piper seems like someone who could either be the killer, or could bring up important information just as she is killed. It could go either way. I like Noah and Audrey wanting to get the killer. Both are trying to live in denial of their grief by throwing themselves into this. It's just odd because both of them seemed to barely know their love interests for a couple of episodes before both girls got killed off. But oh well, this is a fast-moving series, clearly.

Also, yes Emma. There's a psycho killer on the loose, and you get a package with no return address so you....decide to open it. And then you take it to your friends. Ok, that actually makes sense, seeing as there were absolutely no cops around when Riley was killed. IN A POLICE STATION. 

I think this show could have been great, but it's filled with bad writing, mediocre acting and horrible character progression. It doesn't seem like this show knows exactly where it's going and it feels made up. Things that should be spread out or explained more are wrapped up, and aspects that should be taken out sooner rather than later are dragged out.

Also...I meant to mention it twenty minutes ago in the previous episode thread, but Ezra 2.0? You think webcamming your relationship with Brooke is better and safer? You can save stuff on the Internet. You doing that is pretty much the equivalent of meeting in person. Once you're a suspect, the police will search your computer. They'll find all of this stuff with Brooke. It's actually less stupid to meet with her than to keep communicating online with her. Dumbass.

Got bored, watching this on Netflix. When the sheriff was all 'I am confident we got our man' any other Sherlock fans waiting for all the cell phones to light up saying 'Wrong!'?
'The blood trail keeps going.' 'He's been here.' STOP. STATING. THE OBVIOUS. PLEASE.

I was all set to be irritable about the hospital still having any power until a friend of mine reminded me they would have their own power supply that may not have totally degraded. As he said, 'Yeah it'd have electricity, they have their own and like a thousand generators. Because you know, it'd be a shame if life support went down because a drunk guy hit an electric pole.'

Still don't like Brooke, and the jock boys have zero redeeming qualities.