Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Chas411

Chicago PD in the Media

This isn’t specific to PD but Sophia Bush’s new series Good Sam has been picked up to series by CBS.

Details here

Good Sam stars One Tree Hill and Chicago P.D.star Bush as a talented yet stifled surgeon, who embraces her leadership role after her renowned and pompous boss falls into a coma. When he awakens and wants to resume surgery, however, it falls to her to supervise this overbearing blowhard who never acknowledged her talents – and also happens to be her father.

• Like 1

Chicago PD production assistants were making $500 a week, Sophia Bush claims

If they worked 40 hours, that breaks down to $12.50/hr. I really have no idea what the job involves, so I did a quick Google - seems that a PA is an entry-level job in the industry and requires no specific skills. Apparently PAs can be asked to do anything that needs doing, from running errands to helping set up a scene. 

Further Googling shows minimum wage in Illinois went up quite a bit during Bush's time on PD, from $8.25 in 2014 to $11 in 2017, so I guess this depends on which year they were earning the $500 in?

Apparently Bush thinks $500 a week was equal to dire poverty, because she's quoted in this article as saying the PAs "can't afford warm coats". 

I dunno, the article just struck me as kind of hilarious, with Bush painting herself as some kind of protector of the poor, telling off this man in his "$4 million house" as being greedy for wanting payment, yet she herself made hundreds of thousands per week. Maybe the show's budget could be more generous to the PAs if people such as herself were willing to work for less? 

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Apparently Bush thinks $500 a week was equal to dire poverty, because she's quoted in this article as saying the PAs "can't afford warm coats".

After taxes, health insurance, rent and other cost of living expenses, I can easily believe that. $500 a week does not go a long way in Chicago.

• Like 4

I think in a lot of her podcasts Bush tends to go on rants about “what she said” to whoever was doing wrong at the time. I get the impression that there’s always a bit of exaggeration although I don’t agree she should be taking a paycut to ensure assistants are paid fairly. I’d say there’s a fat executive in an office somewhere doing a lot less than her who could take that paycut. 

She can be eye rolling to listen to and definetly exaggerates and changes facts to make whatever her point is for that story.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Like 1

I did NOT love Bunny as a character, but Markie did play her well.  I recently saw (again) the episode where Erin found out she lied about who her father was (Jimmy Sanguinetti).  The hurt and pain she put that poor girl/woman through.  😢. Why Erin and Voight saved her in the last episode of season 4 will forever be a mystery to me.  Her ass should have gone to jail!!!  IMO

• Like 6

On 7/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, SnarkySheep said:

But... it nearly is.  If the PA worked all 52 weeks of the year for $500 per week, he or she earned $26,000 per year.  The federal poverty level for a family of 4 is $26,200 per year.  So that PA couldn't be married with 2 kids without their spouse also working.  Then add in childcare costs because both parents are working, and you could be back to practically poverty level.  AND, this is assuming that PAs work all 52 weeks of a year - I doubt that they do.  The show isn't in production for at least 4-5 months in the late spring and summer. 

It doesn't sound like a glamorous job that's meant for the average middle aged person trying to support a family.  Maybe it's good for a college kid though.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:33 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

It doesn't sound like a glamorous job that's meant for the average middle aged person trying to support a family.  Maybe it's good for a college kid though.

Doesn't seem like it's really intended for any adult supporting a family - Bush herself referred to "kids" doing it. It's a go-fer type thing that doesn't require any skills. Probably some do it for college credit or just a foot into the TV world more than anything. 

• Like 1

Companies using the high school/college thing to try and excuse themselves from paying a living wage makes me angry. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Rick Eid stepping down as showrunner but will remain EP. Gwen Sigan promoted to showrunner.

Have the Chicago franchises had a female showrunner yet? 

Yay!!!!! So excited. Hopefully that's the end of the never-ending miserable doom & gloom Eid bought to this show & the obsession with his fave character. We might get some balance back.

I think one of the showrunners on Med is a female.

56 minutes ago, Guildford said:

Yay!!!!! So excited. Hopefully that's the end of the never-ending miserable doom & gloom Eid bought to this show & the obsession with his fave character. We might get some balance back.

I think one of the showrunners on Med is a female.

Hopefully things changes , but I think she is just as much obsessed with Upton and Upstead since she wrote the upstead centric episodes . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jaelyn96 said:

Hopefully things changes , but I think she is just as much obsessed with Upton and Upstead since she wrote the upstead centric episodes . 

I am hoping that she was just writing what she was told to write & now she's in charge we might move away from these centric episodes for starters. She's also written good episodes for other characters so there is hope.

Or I am being completely delusional

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Guildford said:

I am hoping that she was just writing what she was told to write & now she's in charge we might move away from these centric episodes for starters. She's also written good episodes for other characters so there is hope.

Or I am being completely delusional

Well hope there is a change in the centric episodes. But yeah lol that is all I see on Twitter is the upstead folks lol happy that the showrunner is an Upstead lover 

• Like 2

‘Chicago PD’: How Tracy Spiridakos Had to Prove Herself to Become a Series Regular

But surprisingly, when Tracy Spiridakos scored her part on the One Chicago franchise, she was only promised three episodes.

She had to work hard to win the hearts of Chicago PD fans before becoming a series regular.

“[The part] came through as an audition that my agents got for me,” she said. “I put myself on tape for the part. And it came through as a three-episode arc with the potential to stay. At the end of season four, as we were heading into five, they let me know that I’d be coming back.”

• Like 2