Type keyword(s) to search

Chicago Fire in the Media

Chas411
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I've seen a lot of of Gabby fans in comments about this Haas situation on the various sites saying they want a recast so their couple can continue. 

Cant see that happening because most Dawsey fans are also Monica Raymund fans so don't think they would ever accept a replacement Gabby! And neither would all the show fans who couldn't stand the Gabby character either so l guess it would be a risky move for the writers and might alienate more people than they would by having Gabby just leave, never to return. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I've seen a lot of of Gabby fans in comments about this Haas situation on the various sites saying they want a recast so their couple can continue. 

It's not Days of our Lives or Bold and the Beautiful where they can explain a different actor with a lame plastic surgery storyline, or dream sequence. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Guildford said:

It's not Days of our Lives or Bold and the Beautiful where they can explain a different actor with a lame plastic surgery storyline, or dream sequence. 

That's exactly what I thought each time I saw people making the comments I mentioned. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Dawson’s gone? Wow, I may have to come back this season. I gave it up mid last year because I couldn’t stand her or the show revolving around her. 

But this is great news!

Yay! It sure is but the showrunner, one Mr Derek Haas is clearly hoping she will come back to the show. We are all hoping she won't...EVER! So many of us out here can't stand the Gabby Dawson character and for many of us that character spoiled the show. Please come back to the show. It will be so amazing to see Casey without her henpecking him and generally being whiny spoiled obnoxious and rude.  Maybe now Casey can get back to how he used to be until they stuck her to him like a leech!

• Love 1

When will Chicago Fire‘s Annie IIonzeh be added to the main cast? I heard she was going to be a series regular…. –Max
IIonzeh started Season 7 as recurring, but now is a series regular. As for her character, watch for Emily Foster to make a connection with Severide.

https://analytics.twitter.com/mob_idsync_click?slug=cYcUg31mTL&idb=AAAAEIC4ESe9jbETgKKL61UwJ3DraOql5jNg5GQKaexhnziZSNKxMFBsKMNgR8Nc3oAKmpEdEXYNY0NOBDFQVWHFDKij2DeOfnq3csNr3w5Erj0fpZT-u69IwBXcmwoPN3wVkkiImqo0G34umS7h5dXejmAp4Tru&ad_tracking=true&tailored_ads=true

CarterMatt Newsletter - December 2, 2018

Chicago Fire interview: Derek Haas sets up fall finale, Casey and Naomi

CarterMatt Okay, so let’s just kick things off with this when it comes to the fall finale — how much are people going to be worked up over the ending?

Derek Haas – They’re going to be cursing the Haas name, as sometimes they do. I was telling another interviewer that I showed my boys the episode and they were like ‘how can you do this, dad?! They’re going to be so mad at you!’ I get it from inside my house — not just from Twitter. It’s going to be crazy, especially the last ten minutes of the show.

CarterMatt - I like how you’ve formed this sort of relationship with the fans on social media where you can be almost at times like a professional wrestler, in between the Gorsch campaign posters and the way that you can egg some fans on. Do you welcome this role?

After seven seasons of tweeting, I don’t mind it. I like the bad guys sometimes — if they’re well-written and acted well enough, you get the response you want. I remember Hope at the beginning of last season when everyone was cursing my name over her (laughs), and then we got the Gorsch role. I gotta give props to Neil McCormack, the writer’s assistant on the show. He’s the one who came up with all of those buttons of Gorsch that I kept putting out on Twitter.

But yea, I like to toy with the fans. It’s a part of it. You can’t open up Jurassic Park and expect all of your dinosaurs to stay in their paddocks!

CarterMatt - Before we get into the finale, let’s touch on a few important things from this season so far. What went into the choice to kill off Benny Severide?

We were looking at the first half of the season, and we typically reserve our big swings for the premiere or the finale. I remember last season, we were kind of in the middle and it felt like we weren’t turning big stories in the way that we should. So, when we got in the writers’ room this past summer, we said ‘how can we turn a big card in the first half of the season?’. We had this Gorsch story line going, so we thought about having Benny come back and having Severide go to his dad. The last time we saw them, it was super-heated; so, what if he had to go to him with a little bit of his hat in hand, saying ‘can you do this favor for me?’. Then his dad dies and Severide doesn’t know that he actually did the favor — we wanted to see how that could impact multiple characters and deliver some episodes that are dramatic and heartfelt and all of those things.

We were looking for bigger swings earlier in the season. We did it in the third episode where we had Herrmann move to engine — that was a big move that was a long time coming. Then, with Benny dying, it was about delivering a big thing that people wouldn’t see coming.

CarterMatt - How is what happened with Benny going to continue to factor into what’s happening with Severide?

He’s not in a good place. He’s definitely reacting to his dad dying in a self-destructive way, as Severide has done in the past when faced with tragedy. He has this moment where he reflects with Casey that he’s in a state of mind where he wants to wreck things, so when Tyler, who is Stella’s old friend from high school, shows back up at the firehouse, let’s just say that it does not go well.

CarterMatt - It’s out there in the promo for the fall finale that Naomi and Casey share a kiss. We’ve already seen that Casey sees some of the same passion in her that he saw in Dawson, but in introducing that character now, is that meant to send his brain and his mindset in a number of different directions as he’s wrestling through everything with Gabby?

Yeah. To me, he’s having a reaction that is human. He’s hurt. She left — it wasn’t him leaving — and even though he kept up a brave face for her and kept his chin up, he’s angry and he’s hurt. When you’re faced with those emotions and you feel in a way rejected and your marriage is crumbling, you want to show yourself and the world that you’re attractive and you still got it. Here comes a woman who is smart, aggressive, and good at her job in the way that Gabby is. They get swept up in the moment of excitement while investigating these pretty bad people who are making these fire-trap trailers. One thing leads to another. I’m not saying that it’s the best decision Casey’s made, but that’s what’s happening.

CarterMatt - Beyond the fall finale, is there anything else coming up that you’re excited about?

I can tease a few things! In Chicago, they do the Polar Plunge for charity — the Special Olympics. I participated in it and a lot of our actors are as well. It’s where you’re crazy enough at 10:00 in the morning in the winter to run into Lake Michigan. We’re going to do a Polar Plunge episode at the firehouse. We’re going to do an episode the same week as Valentine’s Day and we’re calling it the Galentine’s episode. Our leading ladies are going to go on a road trip to Indiana to see Brett’s hometown. We’re also going to have Gary Cole back as Commissioner Grissom and he’s going to be back in the second half of the season.

CarterMatt - Are you hoping for another big crossover?

Yes! At least for now, we’re in the early planning stages of doing one with PD, so it will be a two-hour thing with PD. It’ll be centered around a crime happening in a firehouse that is close to ours, and we’re going to get involved.

CarterMatt - Are you already starting to think about the future beyond this season? The ratings for this One Chicago lineup have been really impressive.

I’m loving the audience response to One Chicago all being on one night. I can’t believe how much they’ve embraced it … but I never count my chickens before they hatch. There have been times when it comes down to May and we’re still waiting. I’m feeling great, but that’s somebody else’s job to worry about.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1

Ugh. 

Her interview makes it sound like they have a kid... "Love seeped in a new light"? Did he get her pregnant in 7x1 and they have a 6 month old?

Spoiler

Kinda worried Casey leaves with Dawson, Jesse's contract be damned, and that's how Severide gets back to 51 from OFI. 

Why would they bother with the Sylvie/Casey stuff though if Dawson was just going return. Or will it be just to beat us over the head with how perfect Dawson in comparison to all other potential love interests. 

• Love 1

They've completely cooled off Brett/Casey since the premiere, though. They've talked to each other one time, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder when production knew Monica was going to come back for an episode? 

What kinda concerns me is that Monica or her rep was gushing about being a family in that interview. Sounds like she perhaps didn't know how good she had it and could want to actually come back? If so, put her on Med as a student, please. 

I'd be fine with a one off thing if it gives Casey closure, like the Lockdown episode on House with Chase and Cameron screaming/talking out their divorce and ending it amicably. But I don't think Derek Haas is capable of letting Dawsey go. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

Nope. I won't do it but I'd like to tease him about Dawson being his girlfriend. I don't want some fan to get the wrong idea. lol

Oh you know they will, those fans take things way too seriously. It's been an absolute shitfest on Twitter this week with the pro & anti Dawson fans going at each other like rabid dogs.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:01 PM, cbsspecialreport said:

Ugh. 

Her interview makes it sound like they have a kid... "Love seeped in a new light"? Did he get her pregnant in 7x1 and they have a 6 month old?

I'm amending my speculation into the following wishful thinking (100% non-spoiled): Gabby came to Chicago for Otis' funeral in May 2019. She and Matt hooked up. She's 7 months pregnant with his kid. In 8x9, she comes back for whatever reason, the aneurysm bursts, Gabby dies, and Matt ends up a single parent to a premie Dawsey baby. Enter Brett...

Haas loves Dawson, but he may love his "be careful what you wish for" fan trolling more. And, if I was Monica, I'd be begging for the character to be KO'd, so the rabid Queen Monica Come Back fans would leave me the hell alone. I don't see her coming back just because she's bored; she didn't want to come back for a two-minute cameo in 7x1. Something's up. And I'll be over here in wishful thinking land until November 20. 🙂 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

All Dick Wolf shows - and tons more - are halting production; while some are slated to resume once this virus passes, apparently, SpoilerTV has all Wolf TV shows ending for the season.

I wonder why they are not going to resume after the virus passes... 

16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

All Dick Wolf shows - and tons more - are halting production; while some are slated to resume once this virus passes, apparently, SpoilerTV has all Wolf TV shows ending for the season.

Derek Haas recently tweeted that they've wrapped season 8 and managed to film 20 out of 23 episodes. It sounds like they did not rewrite to have a cliffhanger finale and will continue the last three eps in season 9.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, dovegrey said:

This news broke in April 2020 but I don't think it's been mentioned on these boards: Annie Ilonzeh (Foster) isn't returning for season 9. 

Also, sometime earlier this month, Derek Haas (Fire's showrunner) deleted all of his social media accounts. He was quite active and involved on both Twitter and Instagram (@derekhaaswriter). Super, super weird.

Probably because of the vitriol and abuse he no doubt received from the pathetic childish little trolls on twitter. Their latest is wanting Kara (Brett) fired because she didn't say enough or what they wanted her to say about BLM and started a petition on Change.org. They also targeted Brian Luce (PD) &Started a petition to fire Jesse Lee Soffer as well because he had a photo taken 5 years ago with a Blue lives matter hat so I guess they more than likely harrassed Derek as well. 

23 minutes ago, Guildford said:

Probably because of the vitriol and abuse he no doubt received from the pathetic childish little trolls on twitter. Their latest is wanting Kara (Brett) fired because she didn't say enough or what they wanted her to say about BLM and started a petition on Change.org. They also targeted Brian Luce (PD) &Started a petition to fire Jesse Lee Soffer as well because he had a photo taken 5 years ago with a Blue lives matter hat so I guess they more than likely harrassed Derek as well. 

Holy crap! I had no idea. That's insane. I only tried to check in a few days ago to see if he was writing/planning to film in July and missed all that.

(And I'd kinda hoped it meant he was being replaced. I wish him all the best as a person but think he'd be better at running a show built like Bones rather than a show built like ER.)

(Picks up phone, checks twitter then searches for Derek Hass) 😲

Aww.... I liked him.. I had no idea what issues he was having. He didn't deserve the crap he got but I liked him and thought it was cool to talk to a show-runner of a TV show.  I do think they need a new show-runner and I do wish Derek well. 

On 8/4/2020 at 1:34 PM, Waterston Fan said:

Those jerks who scared Hass away, I hope they are happy. It feels like the show isn't coming back and I realize there is a virus going on but still. 

Has anyone heard anything at all? 

I've seen this recently: https://reelchicago.com/article/chicago-p-d-fire-and-med-return-to-production-in-september/

If true, it won't be back on air until November at the earliest, I would think. They usually come back to production in early July and start airing new episodes in late September, then break in November/December before coming back from January through April to film the last half of the season. Essentially, it takes 8-9 months to film a season. Given that, I don't really expect new episodes for One Chicago until January, to be honest. I also expect a shorter season...or else the cast/crew will likely have no break between seasons 9 and 10. 

I do suspect Haas was quietly let go for something during the early days of BLM, but that's purely me surmising based on his social media accounts permanently going away (super, super weird), a report that he bought a shiny new mansion in LA, and no details about Fire season 9 being released (that I've seen) despite details coming out about PD season 8 storylines. Fire would definitely survive Haas leaving, so I'm not worried if he really did leave. Dick Wolf doesn't need Haas.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, dovegrey said:

I've seen this recently: https://reelchicago.com/article/chicago-p-d-fire-and-med-return-to-production-in-september/

If true, it won't be back on air until November at the earliest, I would think. They usually come back to production in early July and start airing new episodes in late September, then break in November/December before coming back from January through April to film the last half of the season. Essentially, it takes 8-9 months to film a season. Given that, I don't really expect new episodes for One Chicago until January, to be honest. I also expect a shorter season...or else the cast/crew will likely have no break between seasons 9 and 10. 

I do suspect Haas was quietly let go for something during the early days of BLM, but that's purely me surmising based on his social media accounts permanently going away (super, super weird), a report that he bought a shiny new mansion in LA, and no details about Fire season 9 being released (that I've seen) despite details coming out about PD season 8 storylines. Fire would definitely survive Haas leaving, so I'm not worried if he really did leave. Dick Wolf doesn't need Haas.

Hopefully, if that is the case Wolf moves Eid over to Fire and PD can get someone decent with half a clue and without the weird obsession with one character.

• Love 1

Looking at the fall schedule the Chicago shows are back in November so I assume they’ll be back filming next season as per above article suggests.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/nbc-premiere-dates-tweaked-fall-schedule-this-is-us-chicago-superstore-new-amsterdam-brooklyn-nine-nine-manifest-law-order-organized-crime-held-2021-1203025100/

I haven’t followed Haas in years and don’t even know which Chicago show he’s currently doing but remember back in the One Chicago prime when he used to come on once a week and answer the first five tweets he’d get regarding the show. They were always about Dawsey and Lindstead.

Edited by Avabelle

Yeah according to that site, they all premier in November:

Wed 11th November 2020 Chicago Med - Season 6 
Wed 11th November 2020 Chicago Fire - Season 9 
Wed 11th November 2020 Chicago PD - Season 8 

let’s hope all goes well!

• Useful 1

I just realized something and don't know if it has been explained before. But, I think they work in 24x48 working/rest shifts as is used for firefighters. So, what happens with Molly's when they are on Duty? Is it closed? That's weird for a bar.

https://tvline.com/2020/09/14/chicago-fire-adriyan-rae-cast-new-paramedic-season-9/

No idea who she is but they have named Foster's replacement.

Hopefully the angry Gabby/Monica fans are a little more welcoming to this new cast member than they were to Annie.

On 9/9/2020 at 5:49 AM, jcgm82 said:

I just realized something and don't know if it has been explained before. But, I think they work in 24x48 working/rest shifts as is used for firefighters. So, what happens with Molly's when they are on Duty? Is it closed? That's weird for a bar.

I think you are not supposed to think about it too deeply. Like you weren't supposed to think about how Gabby could foster a special needs child, work as a paramedic and work at the bar at the same time.

Suspend reality.

• Love 2

The description of the new character -- "a loveable troublemaker with a twinkle in her eye.” Coming from a working-class family, she is welcoming to all, but don’t mistake her for a pushover. “She’s tough and quick to defend the defenseless… and rolls with the punches while approaching everything with a bit of wry humor..." -- sounds exactly like (early seasons) Gabby.

I'm sorry, but this show doesn't need more characters. The writers have barely given screentime or proper attempts at continuous development to more than 3-4 of the 11 main characters it's had in the past few seasons. One of Haas' last tweets was rebuking a fan who asked for a storyline about Kidd's past addiction, which has never been covered but his response was basically "we mentioned it once; what more do you want?" 🤨 Now they'll have 12 main characters, since Ritter got bumped up to a main character and Gabby 2.0 just got added. It seems silly. 

It looks like Derek is still on the show. I am going to miss his tweets and I sure hope the rapid fans didn't scare him off. I know some got tired of him but it was fun to follow him and if you find him, let us know here. 😞

There is a link from the One Chicago page on FB that mentions Derek and what is going to happen this season. This all 3 Chicago shows are on that one page that used to be Chicago Fire. Not sure I like that. 

https://tvline.com/2020/11/09/chicago-fire-spoilers-season-9-casey-brett-covid/?fbclid=IwAR1y-BAfUhWj5cTCMjzTeGrsq-t-N-fWU9mbSl1qNAtW3Hh374sxcMm_-M0

16 hours ago, Nessa said:

Is CF still on Hulu? It’s no longer showing up on my list.  CPD is still there though.

They could be on Peacock now?  Since they are NBC shows...

But if you're looking for last night's new episodes, they weren't aired.  They'll be back next week instead.