Type keyword(s) to search

See You in the Funny Pages: The Comic Books

I'm going to pick up Origins as soon as I can, and Providence when it comes out next month.  This will be the place to discuss them.

I'm not sure what a "spoiler" would be in this context, so I'm leaving the "prefix" as "None".

(edited)

I haven't read the comics, but read some screen shots and some synopsis and they sound really good. Like, they sound like exactly what I wanted to see on the show, which makes me sad. This is never a knock at comics, because they can present rich fully developed stories, but when the comics are slamming it out of the park, and the show isn't...I don't know man. Can the comic writers write for the show??

Edited by OnceSane
  • Love 4

Double-posting to add this:

BOOM! Studios: Sleepy Hollow writer previews new 'deeply weird' four-issue miniseries.

jhlipton, you are required to report back here and report what's in the comics for this reason:

Carrasco also assured fans that the story will sync with Sleepy’s upcoming season. “It is totally linked to what’s happening in season 3,” he said. “And we worked with the writers on the show to make sure it jived with their plans for upcoming story lines. It’s actually set just a month after season two ends. The show has this time jump that we’re doing as we go into season 3, so there’s this nice little pocket that we get to fill with this kind of story and expand the universe.”

Must....know.....what....is....in....comic......

Thanks for the link. I am waiting to see if ComiXology will be carrying them.

I haven't read the comics, but read some screen shots and some synopsis and they sound really good.

I've read them and they're really good. Well worth if if you have the funds: They all went for about $2 a pop at ComiXology if you want digital downloads. The comics were about the only thing with the exception of a few episodes here and there from last season that brought me back to the greatness of season one.

Edited by Happytobehere

I received the first issues of Origins and Providence.  Let's review...

The first issue of Origins is mostly old ground for viewers of the first two seasons.  We meet Ichabod as he glimpses the demons in the British Army, and turns to the Colonials (and StruggleWitch is at the campsite he comes to).  We meet Jenny in the asylum as she tells us what she can't tell her counselor: She saw the devil that day in the woods.  We meet Abraham as he becomes the Horseman (but not yet Headless).  We meet Henry as he becomes War.  And we meet Abbie as she joins the Sleepy Hollow Police Department.

The art is decent, very much in the style of today's comics:

Small%20Orig.jpg

Not a bad way to introduce someone to the show or to add to your Sleepy Hollow memorabilia, but not a truly great comic.

==================================================================

In Providence, Ichabod, Abbie and Jenny encounter a group of demon bikers.  The enemy seems a little "been there, done that" and I don't care for the art style:

Small%20Prov.jpg

but at least it's the core 3, with the aid of an Amish girl named Emily (way to young to be a romantic interest, YAY!).The dialog is snappy and the story moves briskly.  I wish they had a less "modern" artist (my favorite comics are from the 90's), but this is well worth the few bucks per issue.

• Love 1

I received the second issue, and if this is where they're going for S3, I approve.  Very well-done and a magnificent cameo appearance.  (Wanna know? Buy the comic!  Heh.)

12011156_867966349919084_905764269027560

Armed and ready for action!  (Emily is Amish and so gets no offensive weapons.) Off to fight the demon bikers Fae!

[Dear HalcyoinDays:  Please resize if possible.  Thanks and LOVE YA!]

What bothered me more was this panel:

11169249_868378199877899_315011914276196

which was really not necessary to provide characterization, motivation or plot.

Victor Santos seems to have more trouble with Jenny than any other character:
11986948_868378193211233_752526099746788

On the other hand, here is Jorge Coelho, who draws Origins:

11140241_868377839877935_811159411507674

Here are the first 2 covers by Joe Quinones:

11990518_868377969877922_66428935866844611950181_868378179877901_302481422298177

And here, just for... ahem... reference (and definitely NOT for any salacious or lascivious reason!),,. is Ms Greenwood herself:

lyndie-greenwood-at-sleepy-hollow-screen

• Love 2

It's that time of month again, folks -- time for the next issue of Sleepy Hollow -- Providence.

If this wasn't SH, there's no way I would buy this comic -- he has a REAL problem with faces:

SH%20Prov%2003-01.jpg

And a problem with story flow:

SH%20Prov%2003-02.jpg

There's not much here:  A wasted page with a dead WigStand that adds nothing, an Abbie / Jennie chat that feels contrived and another chat which, if the last page is  not misleading, is a complete waste as well.

What story there is is OK, but not great.  A few pages of "fox hunting is bad, yo!", Ich Among the Amish, and the Return of the Big Bad... Dun dun DUN!!