Type keyword(s) to search

Vera - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/29/2021 at 7:47 AM, laredhead said:

Msani19, the following link is to the article where where I read that Seasons 1 & 6 are leaving Acorn.  Probably Britbox will carry them later.  https://www.iheartbritishtv.com/british-tv-shows-leaving-acorn-tv-in-december-2021/

Well, following my comment a few weeks ago, ALL of the Vera episodes are now on Britbox.  I ended up subscribing so that I could watch all of them in chronological order.  I'm on Season 4 now, and enjoying them immensely.  I do find though, that for me, it's not a series that I can binge watch because the stories are more realistic than other series like Midsomer Murders where even the scenery is lovely and makes up for a sometimes gruesome case.  I'm glad that Vera exposes viewers to another part of Great Britain other than the Cotswalds and London. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't see why not. Look at Murder She Wrote, The Equalizer and SVU. They manage or in the case of MSW, managed to get decent ratings with older, female leads. Plus the internet loves Kathy Bates, the same way they loved Betty White. I think it could work.

I agree wholeheartedly. But apparently the local PBS thinks otherwise. In fact, it’s surprising how many BBC productions never show up, (when I know other stations regularly show them every season), yet they offer repeat showings of “soapy” drivel. I think they’re selling themselves short. Plenty of folks in their viewing area would give them their requested donations if they would only update the programming. I suppose now they’re just relying on Passport subscribers. 

• Love 3

I love this show and character so much.  Brenda Blethyn is a miracle.  The location and scenery is like another character for me and adds so much to the atmosphere.

I wouldn't want to see an American copy of Vera, but to see an older woman, such as Kathy Bates as a character in law enforcement or investigation would be refreshing.   Women do not need to be young and glamourous to be worth watching.

I am a big fan of Ann Cleeves, the source of Vera, the Shetland series and the new one, Two Rivers (or something close). 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 1/12/2022 at 7:02 AM, laredhead said:

I'm glad that Vera exposes viewers to another part of Great Britain other than the Cotswalds and London. 

Me too. The one we watched last night was the one that starts with young trendy beautiful affluent people drinking and dancing on a party boat. This is not a cohort I've seen in other episodes of Vera! I had begun to think of Northumberland as a bit of a backwater. But apparently not. There were also scenes that took place in rather upscale and developed parts of a city, including a posh shopping arcade of the sort I've seen in upmarket parts of London. I have no idea what city in Northumberland that would be! (Maybe Newcastle upon Tyne? I just looked at a map and it's the only place that seems plausible.) I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Northumberland contains some slice of modern civilization, since Newcastle upon Tyne looks to be only about 100 miles down the road from Edinburgh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Me too. The one we watched last night was the one that starts with young trendy beautiful affluent people drinking and dancing on a party boat. This is not a cohort I've seen in other episodes of Vera! I had begun to think of Northumberland as a bit of a backwater. But apparently not. There were also scenes that took place in rather upscale and developed parts of a city, including a posh shopping arcade of the sort I've seen in upmarket parts of London. I have no idea what city in Northumberland that would be! (Maybe Newcastle upon Tyne? I just looked at a map and it's the only place that seems plausible.) I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Northumberland contains some slice of modern civilization, since Newcastle upon Tyne looks to be only about 100 miles down the road from Edinburgh.

I remember one (can't think of the episode) where the crime occurred in the forest. It was ll really green and lush. Nothing like the usual windswept grey environment we usually see. And speaking of shows that give another look at GB without it being London or the Cotswalds, All Creatures Great and Small. Beautiful shots of the Yorkshire Dales.

• Love 5

Just started S11,E4. Laughed at the beginning because I imagined the sheep saying, “There’s the blue rover, it’s not safe to cross until she’s gone by!” 
Tells the second, “Go after him, you like runnin’!”

And, we see Val’s (late) Gran, working on the farm!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Daff said:

Just started S11,E4. Laughed at the beginning because I imagined the sheep saying, “There’s the blue rover, it’s not safe to cross until she’s gone by!” 
Tells the second, “Go after him, you like runnin’!”

And, we see Val’s (late) Gran, working on the farm!

Thanks!  I knew she was familiar.

Is it my imagination, or are Vera’s typically teasing jabs becoming more mean-spirited snarky? And, seems to me she got over her Kenny disgust/abuse several seasons ago, but now she’s back to berating him again. I suppose we could blame the coroner, he hates everyone. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Suzn said:

Thanks!  I knew she was familiar.

I knew the face and voice right away, but paused it to look at her hair. Never gave it a thought while watching CtM, but seeing the contrast, so evident Gran was sporting a wig. 

• Love 1

Just finished watching Ep 4 of this marvelous season and it features a guy who is the whole "its that guy!" trope all by himself - the actor who plays the father was in so many other things I've seen including "Prey" (very good if you haven't seen the first season - I watch anything John Simms is in and its never steered me wrong), and as the infamous Cottan in "Line of Duty" which I love although I have not seen the most recent season (not out on Hulu yet and I'm cheap....I can wait). Craig Parkinson is the actor's name...apparently he was also on Doctor Who this last year but I gave that show up after decades of loyal watching...its like an AfterSchool Special nowadays.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Daff said:

Is it my imagination, or are Vera’s typically teasing jabs becoming more mean-spirited snarky? And, seems to me she got over her Kenny disgust/abuse several seasons ago, but now she’s back to berating him again. I suppose we could blame the coroner, he hates everyone. 

I have to think about that.  Vera has never suffered fools gladly and has a total lack of patience, but I hope it's not really mean.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, isalicat said:

Just finished watching Ep 4 of this marvelous season and it features a guy who is the whole "its that guy!" trope all by himself...the infamous Cottan in "Line of Duty"...

We instantly exclaimed "Dot Cottan!" I believe we are physically incapable of seeing him and not exclaiming that.

• Love 2

I keep getting confused since the actor who plays Aiden is named Kenny...

I don't recall Vera being particularly mean to Kenny this season but it's been a while since I saw S11E1 or E2. In E3, Kenny specifically stands up for Vera, saying if she's off the case then he is also. In E4, they didn't have a lot of interaction but it was fine. 

I guess I've watched too much Vera because I knew instantly who would be sitting in the police car at the end.

Way to go, Kenny, that cake looked good.  I guess his good work and professionalism have finally overcome his early season expense fiddling.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2022 at 10:32 PM, LisaM said:

Just watched the latest episode. It was good but this was the first time in awhile that I guessed the killer ahead of time. Loved Kenny baking! 

And Vera’s awestruck surprise, as she gobbled the goods!

• Love 1
On 1/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, Suzn said:

You're right.  I guess I give her a lot of leeway, but she does take things out on her people.

Frequently and pointedly. Overall, I want to believe it’s because she feels thwarted in making progress in the cases. She throws out the snarky comments to her underlings so they can share in her feelings of frustration? Does it spur them on to become better detectives? And where does her constant use of “love” and “pet” fit with that? I do laugh when she turns back and says “Oh, one more thing…”. I say to myself, “Ok, Columbo!” 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I do laugh when she turns back and says “Oh, one more thing…”. I say to myself, “Ok, Columbo!” 

Vincent D'Onofrio as Det. Robert Goren on Law and Order Criminal Intent does it too. For a while there I was keeping track and I swear, he does it in every episode.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, Daff said:

I do laugh when she turns back and says “Oh, one more thing…”. I say to myself, “Ok, Columbo!” 

I said it along with her in this episode! I was very much waiting for it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Suzn said:

I think Vera has earned the right to be curmudgeonly.  I don't think her staff is feeling wounded very often.

I loved Kenny baking a cake!

You’re right, and she’s the character we like to watch because of it. New people tend to show how wounded they are at her comments, but then I think they just get used to it and accept it. I remember one of the past seasons characters yelling at her saying “Would it kill you to say ‘Good Job’?” I’ve gone back to watch seasons that were unavailable to me (sometimes it was Acorn, some weren’t on Britbox, or maybe they were, but I only had Prime). Last night I watched the one where her second female officer was killed. Very sad. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Daff said:

You’re right, and she’s the character we like to watch because of it. New people tend to show how wounded they are at her comments, but then I think they just get used to it and accept it. I remember one of the past seasons characters yelling at her saying “Would it kill you to say ‘Good Job’?” I’ve gone back to watch seasons that were unavailable to me (sometimes it was Acorn, some weren’t on Britbox, or maybe they were, but I only had Prime). Last night I watched the one where her second female officer was killed. Very sad. 

Yep. She may take the piss but she cares deeply about her team and would do anything for them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

“Would it kill you to say ‘Good Job’?”

In some parts of the USA, the phrase "Good job" is used to reward the less-than-full-speed folks who barely and seldom complete a task, but tried.  As in started putting silverware away but got distracted.  Used for folks for whom a partial accomplishment is all that they can do, and for them it's a "good job". 

3 hours ago, Daff said:

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep. She may take the piss but she cares deeply about her team and would do anything for them.

I think they all come to realize how much she cares for her people.  She was absolutely gutted over the loss of the female officer (I can't remember her name).  Matter of fact, I was gutted over that happening too.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I think they all come to realize how much she cares for her people.  She was absolutely gutted over the loss of the female officer (I can't remember her name).  Matter of fact, I was gutted over that happening too.

Bethany, seared into my mind because I have a daughter named Bethany.

Yes, I remember when she realized Kenny was missing and might have been shot, she was very agitated until they found him.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Daff said:

Last night I watched the one where her second female officer was killed.

Please remind me--I thought only 1 female officer was killed (I think her name was Bethany, played by Cush Jumbo). Who was the 2nd female officer killed? 

Also, for all Vera's picking on Kenny, there was an early epidose (I can't rember which series or episode) where Kenny was injured and she was quite worried trying to find him. If anyone remembers that one, please let me know so I can go watch it again (I'm still paying for Britbox although I don't watch as much new content as I did when I first got the service--might as well get my money's worth with re-watches!).

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, kimaken said:
4 hours ago, Daff said:

Last night I watched the one where her second female officer was killed.

Please remind me--I thought only 1 female officer was killed (I think her name was Bethany, played by Cush Jumbo). Who was the 2nd female officer killed? 

I think Daff meant that Bethany was Vera's 2nd female officer on the show (after Holly) and that Bethany was killed. Not that 2 female officers were killed.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, kimaken said:

Also, for all Vera's picking on Kenny, there was an early epidose (I can't rember which series or episode) where Kenny was injured and she was quite worried trying to find him. If anyone remembers that one, please let me know so I can go watch it again (I'm still paying for Britbox although I don't watch as much new content as I did when I first got the service--might as well get my money's worth with re-watches!).

Season 4, Episode 1, On Harbour Street

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I think Daff meant that Bethany was Vera's 2nd female officer on the show (after Holly) and that Bethany was killed. Not that 2 female officers were killed.

Thanks for the clarification--and thanks for the episode reminder about Kenny getting injured!

Edited by kimaken
Add additional reply to same poster.
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Bethany, seared into my mind because I have a daughter named Bethany.

Yes, I remember when she realized Kenny was missing and might have been shot, she was very agitated until they found him.

Also when Joe was injured in like a tunnel (I think) she was begging him to be okay. Calling him "son" over and over.

• Love 1

Back when she first assembled her team, she and Kenny were not pals at all. He undermined her a few times but now he is quite loyal.

I really like how Jack has just fit right in, even though she's newer than Mark. Vera is gentler to those two (although not by much), but I like how unfazed Jack is when Vera is prickly. Mark is a little more fazed as he appears a bit more keen to please.

• Love 3
On 1/28/2022 at 10:26 PM, Maren said:

Hey, we get 6 episodes this season!! Woot woot!!

Is E6 up yet? AppleTV only had up through E5 as of last night. (Unless a glitch happened on our end.)

As a result we went way back to S1 to see an ep we hadn't yet--the one involving a quarry on the lookout for more land. I noticed something about S1 Vera I hadn't before. This Vera was more vulnerable, more sensitive, than I've grown accustomed to seeing her. I hate vulnerable and sensitive! (Channeling my inner Lou Grant.) I like my Vera crusty and hard-bitten!

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

No, I don't think episode 6 is out yet. I was just surprised to see an episode 5 up, since last time I has looked I had only seen 4 episodes listed. It was a happy surprise for me! Their other seasons were only 4!

Edited by Maren
Misunderstood a comment lol
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Maren said:

I won't be able to watch it for a bit but do they leave it on a good ender? I'm hoping for more seasons!

I enjoyed getting 6 episodes this series! Of course, that's probably due to COVID since last 2020/2021 had to be combined as one series to accommodate filming as best as they could around the pandemic and health/safety measures.

One thing I noticed, particularly in this last episode (and it's probably again due to the COVID pandemic contraints on filming) is that there are fewer scenes of actual investigating in the field and more scenes of Jac, Mark, Kenny coming in to impart crucial information (ie, into Vera's office, or into the interrogation room --"Marm, this report just came in..."; "Marm, so-and-so just called this in...").  It doesn't really hurt the flow of the show, but it is more noticeable now...or maybe it's been the norm all along and this series I finally took notice of it!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kimaken said:

I enjoyed getting 6 episodes this series! Of course, that's probably due to COVID since last 2020/2021 had to be combined as one series to accommodate filming as best as they could around the pandemic and health/safety measures.

One thing I noticed, particularly in this last episode (and it's probably again due to the COVID pandemic contraints on filming) is that there are fewer scenes of actual investigating in the field and more scenes of Jac, Mark, Kenny coming in to impart crucial information (ie, into Vera's office, or into the interrogation room --"Marm, this report just came in..."; "Marm, so-and-so just called this in...").  It doesn't really hurt the flow of the show, but it is more noticeable now...or maybe it's been the norm all along and this series I finally took notice of it!

That's probably why this season felt different is some way I couldn't really describe.  I'm just grateful to have new episodes.  Now, I'll go back and re-watch the season.  This has to be exhausting for Brenda Blethyn - I'm very aware of her age and I hope she can keep going a while.

• Love 3
On 1/30/2022 at 7:40 PM, Maren said:

I won't be able to watch it for a bit but do they leave it on a good ender? I'm hoping for more seasons!

Yes! Not to worry...and I'm hoping for more seasons too. Especially as I understand this next season of Shetlander is the last one...:(

• Love 2
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

Yes! Not to worry...and I'm hoping for more seasons too. Especially as I understand this next season of Shetlander is the last one...:(

Thank you!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed tight!!

Oh wow, I had no idea this is the last season of Shetland! :-( At least we should get that one soon...

9 hours ago, isalicat said:

NO--Say it isn't so! I love Shetlander! Now I worry that Vera's days may be numbered, too! I only got Acorn and Britbox so I could watch these shows (and Death in Paradise, Father Brown, and Midsomer Murders, which I can now find on other streaming free channels in my Roku).

Edited by kimaken
adding to my list of must watch shows
  • Love 2

I love Shetland too!  If it is going to end, I hope it can end on an up note.  It has been so melancholy and the last season ended on a cliff-hanger.

Part of what I love about Vera and Shetland is the locations.  I feel very drawn to both and I'm unlikely to see either one.  In the opening credits for Vera, we can see the Angel of the North - I would really love to see it.

• Love 3
On 2/1/2022 at 1:17 PM, Suzn said:

Part of what I love about Vera and Shetland is the locations. 

Have you fallen into the Google earth rabbit hole?  

For Shetland and also for Vera it's so easy to go to Google maps and enter the name of an island, or a part of Northumberland.  Then go for a walk/drive with the little yellow-orange man who shows where the camera has driven the roads or even walked the trails. (Also really cool for some of the Game of Thrones shots on the north coast of Spain). 

I have enjoyed the Shetland drives around their islands, then seen some of the archaeology sites on the map, and read up on those sites.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Have you fallen into the Google earth rabbit hole?  

For Shetland and also for Vera it's so easy to go to Google maps and enter the name of an island, or a part of Northumberland.  Then go for a walk/drive with the little yellow-orange man who shows where the camera has driven the roads or even walked the trails. (Also really cool for some of the Game of Thrones shots on the north coast of Spain). 

I have enjoyed the Shetland drives around their islands, then seen some of the archaeology sites on the map, and read up on those sites.  

Why didn't I think of that?!  I've looked at Paris, but had not thought of the Shetland and Vera locations.  Thanks for the suggestion!

• Love 1