Type keyword(s) to search

Vera - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/24/2016 at 10:16 PM, Captanne said:

Her tics are wonderful

Is there a specific name for the short bursts of nervous laughter?  Often inappropriate. 

Vera does them more subtly, but we heard the same from the character Delores Umbridge in  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.  And they get old quickly.

I'm still interested in Vera and I slogged through the book that started this.  It extremely long for a first novel in a series (500+ pages) and didn't introduce Vera as a character until half way through.  Not much of a history on her, more on the two women intro'ed before her. 

Book two is coming up this week so my search for her personal history will continue.

Book Number 2 was a smoother read and I recognized the plot from the TV show.  Vera gets a bit more play and she starts to come forward as a detective who can put together minutia ignored by other police officers.  Much of the "Vera" comes out as she interacts with others and I'm beginning to prefer the rich tapestry of the books to the abbreviated cloth of the series. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've just watched the first 3 episodes of season 9 and hope they keep Paul Kaye as the pathologist, though it would be nice to learn a little bit more about his history with Vera. They seem to have dropped a lot of the non-crime stuff going on with the regular cast. Didn't Vera discover she had a long-last half-sister or something at some point? Nothing came of that if I remember right. They'll throw in a mention of Aiden's new baby now and then, but I enjoyed how they used to talk about personal matters so we could get to know the characters better. I don't know anything about Mark except that he never seems to leave the office, poor guy, and he's been on the show since season 3.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2019 at 9:15 AM, Notwisconsin said:

She's Colombo with tits. Not bad at all.

I continue to read the books (after having watched all the videos that our library has.)

The books continue to be much longer reads than most 'crime' novels.  And I'm finding that I enjoy them a lot more than, say, the Agatha Raisin books which are short and less by comparison.  

I'm on my fourth Vera book. Her assistant gets a lot more written about him and the female assistant is becoming an interesting character.  Vera knows she's manipulating both of them and tries to cut back so they can have something resembling a normal life.  Vera's history is not /hasn't been fleshed out very much.  Her relationship with her Father and his treatment of her is growing.  As is her waistline.  She's not presented as at all being attractive and re "Columbo" there was the comment that she's the maiden aunt who appears to be not very bright so no one is very careful what they say to her.

I can hear the actress' voice in Vera in the books. I've almost always read the books and then 'seen the movie'  This time, with these books, I feel as if I'm building a more complex picture and that is so memorable that it's starting to block out the TV version. 

• Love 1

Just started watching Vera on AcornTV. Finished S1, Episode 3. Reminds me a bit of Broadchurch.

Very interesting so far. Each episode seems to have a twist at the very end. 

Love Vera and Joe's relationship.

• Love 3

I finished watching the latest season and it was as enjoyable as ever. I'm glad they brought back PC George, the basement-dwelling missing persons officer.

I just found out that Sonya Cassidy, who played Joe's wife Celine in the early seasons, is now on Lodge 49 as Wyatt Russell's sister. I watched the pilot a few months ago and never recognized her. She does an impressive American accent.

We are watching Season 8 from our local library.  I really like Vera in the third episode and.... OK, here's an admission of snobbery. 

I would have told you that I like British Mysteries for the story lines, the character development, and ,oh yes, the scenery is nice, too.   I lied to myself.  

The scenery matters a lot to me.  Season 8 episode 2 left me blah.  I hated the scenery. It could have been from anywhere in Europe, boring and almost no greenery in many, many minutes of it.  Surprised me how much I disliked that episode.  You could substitute hate for dislike, even.

Now, chastened, I admit that character development and scenery matter most to me, and the story lines- heck show me sea coast, interesting old buildings, places I can look up on Google Earth....story lines a really distant third.  

I enjoyed wandering around the waterfront in Newcastle several seasons ago.  Now if they would only have Vera attached to her old sandals that she wears in the Vera books I've read. 

Have binge watched all of the episodes in a row up through the end of Season 5. Definite change in the tone when Joe left and Aiden replaced him. With Joe, we saw glimpses of Vera's family history - issues with her father, his mistress, a sister - but now with Aiden, no mention at all. So far, I definitely miss Joe's presence and mostly how he allowed us to learn more about Vera. 

Continue to crack up as to the ever-changing support cast. Various police staff come and go without any mention of their absence (except for Joe). At least we still have the ever-present Kenny. Whatever happened to Billy, the original pathologist? Just disappeared. 

Terrific series. Looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes. 

• Love 1
On 3/27/2019 at 7:26 AM, LisaM said:

Have binge watched all of the episodes in a row up through the end of Season 5. Definite change in the tone when Joe left and Aiden replaced him. With Joe, we saw glimpses of Vera's family history - issues with her father, his mistress, a sister - but now with Aiden, no mention at all. So far, I definitely miss Joe's presence and mostly how he allowed us to learn more about Vera. 

Continue to crack up as to the ever-changing support cast. Various police staff come and go without any mention of their absence (except for Joe). At least we still have the ever-present Kenny. Whatever happened to Billy, the original pathologist? Just disappeared. 

Terrific series. Looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes. 

Keep watching! There is more about Vera's background in later series.

I prefer Aiden to Joe although I think I'm probably in the minority. They do get closer as time goes by.

Billy was mentioned in passing in one of the episodes. I can't remember the exact line but sounded to me as if he'd died.

• Love 1

If anyone watched season 9 episode 3 Cold River.... at the end Vera comes out of a business, Aiden is waiting outside. She’s asks

if he likes it what he sees. He’s says he doesn’t know what he’s looking at. She says perfect. What was that? What business was she in?

Later, alone, she pulled a card ofsome type out of her bra? What was that?

My streaming subscription expired so I can't go back to check, but I think Vera had messed up her clothes somehow, went into a shop to get some new ones, and then was pleased that the replacements fit her style well enough that Aiden didn't notice the difference. Maybe the card was her removing a tag of some sort? That's from my dim memory of the scene, though, so I could be completely off.

• Love 1
On 6/23/2019 at 8:55 PM, novhappy said:

If anyone watched season 9 episode 3 Cold River.... at the end Vera comes out of a business, Aiden is waiting outside. She’s asks

if he likes it what he sees. He’s says he doesn’t know what he’s looking at. She says perfect. What was that? What business was she in?

Later, alone, she pulled a card ofsome type out of her bra? What was that?

She bought herself a "new" raincoat that was identical to her old one at what looks like an Oxfam store (goodwill).  Aiden not noticing any difference obviously made her happy.  Later on, she reaches around inside the back collar to remove the label.

• Love 5
On 6/26/2019 at 10:42 AM, DHDancer said:

She bought herself a "new" raincoat that was identical to her old one at what looks like an Oxfam store (goodwill).

My PBS showed this episode last week.  I just recently found this show and am so loving it!  So, of course, we're starting another begging month.

(I could easily be tempted to pledge between any of my Thursday, Saturday or Sunday murder mysteries.   No temptation at all during endless infomercials for crappy books.)

They certainly are feeding info about Vera's background one tiny spoon at a time!  Clearly, something haunts her to the point of sitting alone drinking at night.

I hadn't seen Brenda in much until this, except "Little Voice" (three or four times) many years ago.  Wow.  That was a knock out performance! 

I've always preferred and respected actresses that embrace roles that are not flattering to them at all.  Vera is not exactly your typical lovable curmudgeonly detective, so I'm really invested in this program.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

My PBS showed this episode last week.  I just recently found this show and am so loving it!  So, of course, we're starting another begging month.

Can I ask what part of the country you are in - I love Vera and don't see it here in Atlanta.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Can I ask what part of the country you are in - I love Vera and don't see it here in Atlanta.

Sure.  I'm in the Dallas area.  They just started showing Vera on Thursday nights about a month ago.  KERA PBS

Just watched the first episode of Series 10 - the one with the taxi driver and the pub. So nice to see Vera and her motley crew again - especially Kenny. I still miss the original pathologist (who later starred on No Offence) and Joe. The character of Vera - and the actress - are both wonderful. 

• Love 2

I just watched "Dirty", the third episode of the season and thought it was the strongest so far. Nice to see the entire team - including Mark - out in the field together. Good twists and an ending which was not predictable from the start. 

• Love 3

I love this show so much that I want to buy a bucket hat.

Vera is a wonderful character. I love it when she gets all snappy at the team and I love that she is not constantly dealing with office politics or pressure from her superiors. I despise it when a crime procedural falls back on that as a through line of a series. 

• Love 5

Excellent final episode of the season. Vera standing on a boat talking down a murderer with a loaded gun while a team of armed cops stand by and watch. She is fearless. It's hard to wait a whole year for 4 more episodes. 

• Love 2
On 2/16/2020 at 10:00 PM, novhappy said:

I must say tho I wouldn’t mind one episode where the killer is a villain instead of some heartbreaking mistake or tragic accident. 

Yes, this is sticking in my mind right now.

I'm currently watching Seasons 8 and 9 on Britbox and it's reached the point where - not to give too much away - the reveal of the killer is getting not very credible in most of the episodes I've seen lately.   Not to get too specific, but I think the pattern is too obvious at this point.  I don't mind mysteries or detective shows that have a certain structure, whether it's Perry Mason or Law and Order, but when I keep thinking "not that person"...I think the writers are trying too hard to be clever with the final twist. 

That said, I have been watching various episodes of the show on Acorn and Britbox the last several weeks and overall really enjoy it.  Brenda B. is a wonderful actress - I first saw her years ago in the film Secrets and Lies where she was great as well - and I enjoy the rest of the cast.   I also really love the landscape, the music and the overall feeling of almost existential sadness of the northern rural setting, and Vera's rather solitary life.   I just wish the "reveal" would be a little more believable in these Season 8 - 9 eps so far (I am halfway through 9).    I guess I should see what follows these, though.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, novhappy said:

I thought season 10 was good, definitely Vera, but I enjoyed it. Especially ep 3. 

Thanks @novhappy.   I just watched ep 3 of Season 9 - the one that begins with the young woman found in the water alongside a yacht (and ends with that scene of Vera having bought the "new old" outfit and removing the tag) and I thought that one was excellent.  Nice changeup in subject matter as well.

• Love 1

I just discovered Vera back in February and finally finished S10 this weekend.  I love, love, love this show!  Brenda Blethyn is absolutely incredible - it's amazing how much she can convey with just a chuckle or a well-placed, "Hmm..."

I didn't think I'd be able to get over Joe leaving after S4, but Aiden definitely grew on me.  I love when we get to see the little personal moments between he and Vera, even if it's him putting her booties on at a crime scene or her ragging on him about keeping the peas away from her fish and chips lol.  

And I love Kenny!  I like that even that even though Vera gives him (and the rest of the team) a hard time, she's also the first one to tell them good job when they've dug up some new piece of info.  But I definitely missed Marcus, the medical examiner, the last few seasons.  The actor was gorgeous and I loved his back and forth with Vera.  There's obviously some history between Vera and the latest ME, Malcolm, but I guess it'll be a while before we know what that is.  Heck, it's been 10 seasons and we still don't know much about Vera herself.

• Love 2
On 8/10/2020 at 3:36 PM, Bunnyette said:

I love watching a show where the main character  is a woman well past 50!

The Brits are really good about having the characters look like Real People.

The human face shows such much more expression when it's not distorted with fillers & frozen with botox!

I suspect Hollywood would have laughed at and kicked Nicola Walker to the curb.  A UK treasure!   If she's on the screen, my butt is on the couch!

• Love 7
On 9/23/2020 at 3:39 AM, zillabreeze said:

The Brits are really good about having the characters look like Real People.

The human face shows such much more expression when it's not distorted with fillers & frozen with botox!

I suspect Hollywood would have laughed at and kicked Nicola Walker to the curb.  A UK treasure!   If she's on the screen, my butt is on the couch!

Nicola Walker? Do you mean Brenda Blethyn?

• Love 1

The British actresses don't have nearly as much (if they have any at all) plastic surgery as American actresses do.  I think maybe roles are more favorable towards more mature women than they are in the States.  Not criticizing American actresses....they feel they need to do it to continue to work; won't judge anyone who wants to "freshen up" ... except for most of the Real Housewives over all of the franchises.

• Love 1
On 10/9/2020 at 10:17 AM, welnoc said:

Nicola Walker? Do you mean Brenda Blethyn?

I love em both!  I was adding Nicola in the mix as another example of a "real" looking very talented actor that prob wouldn't be appreciated in US showbiz.

• Love 2

I'm a local to the 'Vera' area and just thought you would like to know I saw her the other day in a place called Amble which is in Northumberland while she was filming for the new series - something to look forward too.

• Love 12

If you need a bit of Vera to tide you  through till there are more TV episodes, I'll recommend the new Vera Stanhope mystery "The Darkest Evening". (The title is from that Robert Frost poem "Whose woods are these......"

Vera is vibrantly alive in this book and it fills some Stanhope family lore. 

Mine came by e-book so I can't say "I couldn't put it down", but for me it was an addictive read, and I never closed that window. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I just finished The Darkest Evening and second the recommendation. In addition to learning a bit more about Vera's extended family, I really enjoyed reading about some of the characters (Joe and Holly) who are no longer on the show. It's also a nicely atmospheric winter read since the story opens on a snowy night at a country house and much of it plays out in a small community where everyone seems to know one another but secrets still abound.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I was a bit confused when I started watching season 5 because I was all where's Joe. However, I think it worked ok for the audience not to see Joe leave. And I think it was time for him to move on and be promoted.  

I was actually excited to have a new guy and see the new dynamic between Vera & Aidan. Aidan seemed like he had some issues to work through, needed to learn the ropes, and I thought it would be fun to have a single guy.  

However, saying all that I just started watching season 6, and I feel the writers have decided to turn Aidan into Joe 2.0. The first episode of the season we learn Aidan is getting married and his fiancé is pregnant. I am annoyed if the writers wanted to have a Sargent that was married with kids they should have kept Joe!   I feel like making Aidan married with a kid is boring. We already did that story for 4 seasons with Joe. 

Also I am sad  the Bethany was killed off! Also I am a bit confused. Vera was pissed off at the end of the episode asking who had messed up the background checks and some other check they said Bethany had. I didn't understand that part. Did Bethany not run the background checks or did she misread them?

Also I really don't want spoilers so if you reply to me please try and remember I'm only on season 6 episode 1. Thank you 🙂

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Fireball said:

Also I really don't want spoilers so if you reply to me please try and remember I'm only on season 6 episode 1. Thank you 🙂

I'm sorry, I think it's a bit hypocritical of you to ask not to have spoilers while spoiling some of the MAJOR plot points in your own post. All of the current Vera episodes have aired so nothing is considered a spoiler, if you don't want spoilers don't read the thread until you are done.

• Love 4