Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Two

Haven't read all of the comments so sorry if any of this is repetitive. With as awful as almost everyone on this show is, my biggest take away from this episode is that Rachel slept with Adam as something to use as leverage over him to get him to agree to the proposal. I may be proven wrong next week, but that's the feeling I got. I don't doubt for one second that Rachel is attracted to Adam but at the end of the day, as much as she pretends to have a conscience sometimes and like she hates the things she has to do, Quinn is right in that they are no different.

I don't think that's the case. Adam and Rachel are both aware that there are cameras in the guest rooms He even told one of the contestants (I think it was Anna) that he knows how to disable the cameras.

Adam had already pretty much agreed to do Royal Love at that point so there was no need for Rachel to sleep with him to convince him to do it. Rachel and Adam have also formed a friendship. He sees her as a friend now and trusts her. If her sleeping with him was just another manipulation scheme to get him to do the spin-off show and he found out about it any chance of him trusting her about anything ever again would be completely destroyed. Heck, he'd probably even refuse to do Royal Love. I don't think she slept with him to gain any kind of leverage or power over him. When Rachel manipulates people she's usuall much smarter and smoother than that. 

Someone else here suggested the idea that Adam and Rachel are in cahoots together and wanted Quinn to find their sex tape. I find that more likely than Rachel playing Adam since he had already more or less said yes to the Royal Love idea after she told him her idea about the vineyard.  

• Love 6

I am always surprised when characters who were the "other woman" finally get the guy are shocked that he cheats on her. The look on the PA's face when she was talking to Chet was so very "All About Eve", there is always someone younger,smarter and hotter nipping at your heels Quinn.

What is on the hard drive. Obviously something to destroy Chet, I am sure she wants to get married in a hurry because as Chet reminded us in this episode, it's a 50/50 state. ( Anvil). I guess Craig Bierko wont be back for S2. Perhaps the flash drive will induce another heart attack, cue Chet grabbing chest in finale.

"Flipper baby" line of the night

I think Royal Renovation is a great idea for season 2, and Faith would be way better than Anna.

Rachel is a shark, she proved that tonight, she slept with Adam, got her show and will get her bonus. She will EP, Quinn will step into Chet's role after the flash drive kills him or sends him to prison.

• Love 3

I'm not sure why it's assumed that it's a Rachel/Adam sex tape on Quinn's thumb drive-- unless we think Rachel and Adam have hooked up previously and we just haven't been shown it? Because she took the drive out of the safe earlier in the episode, and the ep ended on the hookup.

I think the thumb drive is something nuclear she has on Chet. One thing the show hasn't really explored well is Quinn & Chet (and god knows I don't want them to belabor it). We've had hints here and there: 8 years, wife knows, Quinn didn't know wife knows, blah blah. But we've also been shown that Quinn is fully aware of what a shitbag Chet can be and is. So I'm left wondering not so much why she loves him, because I accept she does, but what were the implicit or explicit rules of their affair all this time? Did she never ask him to leave his wife? Did he promise for years that he would? And I love the way CZ has been playing her, looking at him as if she's waiting for the other shoe to drop. My guess is part of her anger right now is that she feels she should have known Chet would do something like this -- and maybe on some level she's not surprised-- but for him to do it yards away from her is beyond unforgivable. Quinn's revenge will be, I'm sure, an epic production.

Finally Rachel realizes she doesn't really want Jeremy. Smell ya later!

I love watching this show and knowing I don't have any idea where it's going. There are pros and cons for Adam choosing any of the women. To me Faith would be a great choice because there's no pressure there, and they have good friend chemistry-- I loved the mud bath scene. But I don't really see an upside for Faith in agreeing to it.

For me the title "Royal Love" would be enough of a dealbreaker. Gag.

• Love 7

I've been thinking about something else...I feel like we're supposed to feel like the Adam/Rachel relationship is the love connection, or something.  But I find it odd then that we didn't get any of the prelude to the sex.  We've still never seen them kiss and I didn't think there was really any romantic moment in them hooking up.  There was that 'look' when she was on top of him and so I think both of these guys are, sort of disposable to her.  Which is sad...especially when there's so much pretty.

• Love 1

I thought we saw Quinn pop in the thumb drive and she'd recorded all the deeply scummy ass-covering, spinny, callous conversations with the network and with Chet about Mary's suicide.

It's hard to imagine how she could use that to hurt them without also hurting herself -- strategic editing and leaking to the right media outlets maybe? She's certainly skilled with that.

Someone else here suggested the idea that Adam and Rachel are in cahoots together and wanted Quinn to find their sex tape. I find that more likely than Rachel playing Adam since he had already more or less said yes to the Royal Love idea after she told him her idea about the vineyard.

Agreed. Rachel may be a terrible person, but blackmail isn't a part of her M.O. Her skill as a producer all lies in her ability to get her subjects to trust her and like her, even when they probably know deep down that they shouldn't. That's a fine art, too fine for a blunt instrument like blackmail. We have to remember that if Rachel is going to be the show runner for Royal Love, she doesn't just need Adam to agree to do the show. She also needs to maintain a good working relationship with him if she's going to keep producing him next season. For that reason, it'd make a lot more sense for Rachel to work with Adam than against him.

• Love 5
(edited)
Adam had already pretty much agreed to do Royal Love at that point so there was no need for Rachel to sleep with him to convince him to do it. Rachel and Adam have also formed a friendship. He sees her as a friend now and trusts her. If her sleeping with him was just another manipulation scheme to get him to do the spin-off show and he found out about it any chance of him trusting her about anything ever again would be completely destroyed. Heck, he'd probably even refuse to do Royal Love. I don't think she slept with him to gain any kind of leverage or power over him. When Rachel manipulates people she's usuall much smarter and smoother than that.

Again, I may be proven wrong but it's just how I felt watching the episode. Yes Rachel supposedly got Adam to agree to some semblance of the deal but I don't think any contracts were signed already. And this so called agreement she put to him had a whole bunch of stipulations and benefits Adam got, on top of his not even having to marry the woman at all. Do we really think Chet and the network guy would have so easily agreed to all of that? But even saying they would and Rachel's intentions at that point were pure, for all we know she went to Quinn and company with that offer and was told no, they want Adam agreeing to the marriage, period and point blank. 

And Rachel would not be the one doing the blackmailing if it is made to look like Quinn caught them and it's Quinn doing the blackmailing and manipulating. Yes, Adam trusts and sees Rachel as a friend which is EXACTLY the point with her and EXACTLY the ammo she has to completely manipulate him without him even realizing it. Not to mention the added fact of his boner for her. As for his not trusting her again if he found out, well of course, because how else would the writers create tension in that relationship? With this show, I can't imagine anyone thinks things will be so hunky dory for those two. 

Again, this is just my observation and I get that some clearly ship Adam and Rachel and I don't deny the two actors have great chemistry. I just think this whole season we've been shown repeatedly that for as much as Rachel may want to believe she still has a conscience and she's not so bad, at the end of the day she is and is just as willing to play as dirty as Quinn. She is a viper herself. 

I mean anyone really think Rachel bought Quinn's bullshit reasoning about bringing Mary's abusive husband on the show - of course not. But she tried to pretend she was talking herself into doing something she knew was awful. And then even in the midst of her grief and guilt over Mary, she thought to pull the fake suicide note plan. Something that we incidentally didn't see her write nor was it hinted at until after it happened which may be the same case with her sleeping with Adam. All I'm saying is that it wouldn't surprise me in the least if at the end of the season, viewers discover that Rachel's biggest manipulative job of the season was Adam. 

No, it doesn't mean she's not attracted to Adam. Hell it doesn't even mean that she does not likely have legitimate romantic feelings for him. But much like Chet, this is who she is and it is in her nature. When it comes down to it, manipulating people for that show is what she does so well and make no mistake, on a dark, twisted level, she is proud of that fact and in the end Adam would be the ultimate sucker for the season, not the women. Adam is no saint without question, and he has his own sneaky ways yes, but I feel like he's a light weight among Rachel, Quinn and Chet. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5
(edited)

I've been thinking about something else...I feel like we're supposed to feel like the Adam/Rachel relationship is the love connection, or something.  But I find it odd then that we didn't get any of the prelude to the sex.  We've still never seen them kiss and I didn't think there was really any romantic moment in them hooking up.  There was that 'look' when she was on top of him and so I think both of these guys are, sort of disposable to her.  Which is sad...especially when there's so much pretty.

Maybe we'll get a flashback next episode?

I do wonder at Quinn's motivations at trying to blackmail Adam & Rachel with the sextape. I mean, that's some pretty weak blackmail there. He already has sextapes out, and really all Adam & Rachel would need to do is hit the talk show circuit and spin some bullshit about how they really fell in love over the course of the show. Talk about fairytale endings the public would eat up in a heartbeat. Leaking the tape would only mean problems for the show and Quinn (what? she can't keep the reigns on her own producers?). Doubly so, if then Rachel decided to counter by leaking the truth about Shia's involvement in Mary's death. There has to be more going on here, because I can't believe Quinn would be so shortsighted. I would say that maybe the flashdrive has more dirt on Rachel, if it wasn't for the whole switching it out with her ring, leading me to believe it has to do with Chet.

I think there's more than meets the eye to the whole thing, possibly Rachel & Adam's boning included. I do think there were genuine feelings involved though, based if nothing more than on Rachel's face when Adam was kissing Anna.

Edited by emmapants
  • Love 4
(edited)
I do think there were genuine feelings involved though, based if nothing more than on Rachel's face when Adam was kissing Anna.

That's the thing, I think it's been established and made pretty clear since the second or so episode that Adam and Rachel are attracted to each other and I think most viewers have just been expecting the inevitable hook up. So there is no question she is attracted to him and wanted to have sex with him.

It just a case of that dichotomy of Rachel's character we've seen since the pilot. She says and does things that make you think she genuinely wants to be a better person but when it comes down to it, she does the job and that includes manipulating these people and no matter how much she wants to pretend, there is a part of her that clearly enjoys and is proud of it. That's why this show is so twisted.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Did anyone else's DVR cut off the end?  No big deal, I DVR'd it again and extended the recording, but I was initially pissed.

I loved that scene between Faith and Adam, I root for them as friends.

Chet and the PA, gross.  She looks likes she is 13 and he looks likes my great uncle who wears track suits, all the time.

• Love 3

Again, I may be proven wrong but it's just how I felt watching the episode. Yes Rachel supposedly got Adam to agree to some semblance of the deal but I don't think any contracts were signed already. And this so called agreement she put to him had a whole bunch of stipulations and benefits Adam got, on top of his not even having to marry the woman at all. Do we really think Chet and the network guy would have so easily agreed to all of that? But even saying they would and Rachel's intentions at that point were pure, for all we know she went to Quinn and company with that offer and was told no, they want Adam agreeing to the marriage, period and point blank. 

And Rachel would not be the one doing the blackmailing if it is made to look like Quinn caught them and it's Quinn doing the blackmailing and manipulating. Yes, Adam trusts and sees Rachel as a friend which is EXACTLY the point with her and EXACTLY the ammo she has to completely manipulate him without him even realizing it. Not to mention the added fact of his boner for her. As for his not trusting her again if he found out, well of course, because how else would the writers create tension in that relationship? With this show, I can't imagine anyone thinks things will be so hunky dory for those two. 

Again, this is just my observation and I get that some clearly ship Adam and Rachel and I don't deny the two actors have great chemistry. I just think this whole season we've been shown repeatedly that for as much as Rachel may want to believe she still has a conscience and she's not so bad, at the end of the day she is and is just as willing to play as dirty as Quinn. She is a viper herself. 

I mean anyone really think Rachel bought Quinn's bullshit reasoning about bringing Mary's abusive husband on the show - of course not. But she tried to pretend she was talking herself into doing something she knew was awful. And then even in the midst of her grief and guilt over Mary, she thought to pull the fake suicide note plan. Something that we incidentally didn't see her write nor was it hinted at until after it happened which may be the same case with her sleeping with Adam. All I'm saying is that it wouldn't surprise me in the least if at the end of the season, viewers discover that Rachel's biggest manipulative job of the season was Adam. 

No, it doesn't mean she's not attracted to Adam. Hell it doesn't even mean that she does not likely have legitimate romantic feelings for him. But much like Chet, this is who she is and it is in her nature. When it comes down to it, manipulating people for that show is what she does so well and make no mistake, on a dark, twisted level, she is proud of that fact and in the end Adam would be the ultimate sucker for the season, not the women. Adam is no saint without question, and he has his own sneaky ways yes, but I feel like he's a light weight among Rachel, Quinn and Chet. 

I agree with a lot of your points. I think my issue is that if this is all about Royal Renovation v. Royal Love, the stakes weren't really high enough for me. After all, Chet/Quinn switched from Grace to Anna easily enough. Loads of financial reasons to do this at the vineyard, particularly given convincing Adam's family to participate might be a challenge.The only real hang up would be the wedding. If this were Adam completely opposed to a new show and she thought this was the only way to convince him, that would make sense. That's why given the Adam/Anna conversation last week, I'm thinking this is a larger plot.

Also, I'm not sure how much of a "twist" it is that Rachel's manipulating Adam. Of course, she is. And presumably she and Quinn manipulated all the Suitors that came before him. And no matter what happens from here on out no one will have paid as much as Mary.

• Love 1
The look on the PA's face when she was talking to Chet was so very "All About Eve"

I'm glad they didn't make her completely stupid, but I hate that she's blowing Chet. Ew.

For me the title "Royal Love" would be enough of a dealbreaker. Gag.

It cracks me up. Of course dumbass Americans would think that English accent = royalty. It's kind of genius in its terrible way.

• Love 3
I do wonder at Quinn's motivations at trying to blackmail Adam & Rachel with the sextape. I mean, that's some pretty weak blackmail there. He already has sextapes out, and really all Adam & Rachel would need to do is hit the talk show circuit and spin some bullshit about how they really fell in love over the course of the show. Talk about fairytale endings the public would eat up in a heartbeat. Leaking the tape would only mean problems for the show and Quinn (what? she can't keep the reigns on her own producers?). Doubly so, if then Rachel decided to counter by leaking the truth about Shia's involvement in Mary's death. There has to be more going on here, because I can't believe Quinn would be so shortsighted. I would say that maybe the flashdrive has more dirt on Rachel, if it wasn't for the whole switching it out with her ring, leading me to believe it has to do with Chet.

Those are all really good reasons for Quinn to not be planning on using what's on the flashdrive against Rachel.  I don't think Quinn would get anything out of all that.

I don't think it would be too hard for Rachel to talk Faith into doing the show, especially since she already talked her into doing it once.  She would have a year to think about things, instead of having to go home soon and face everyone when the show is hugely popular and newsworthy.  Since Adam's family probably wouldn't want to participate, Rachel would have a reason to fly in Grams and Amy for her.  If she doesn't want to come out to the entire world, she just has to go home and lay low for a bit.  The network will release plenty of fake new items about her heartache until people don't care any more.  If she doesn't want to come out at all, she'll have the excuse of having been used by a guy that was just looking for fame.

• Love 2
(edited)

That's the thing, I think it's been established and made pretty clear since the second or so episode that Adam and Rachel are attracted to each other and I think most viewers have just been expecting the inevitable hook up. So there is no question she is attracted to him and wanted to have sex with him.

It has to be more than attraction at this point though right? Her reaction watching Adam schmooze Anna doesn't make much sense if she only has a minor crush on him. I mean, Adam was kissing a girl of her choosing essentially on her orders, and it still looked like watching him with Anna made her feel a little sick. That kind of reaction is not generally spawned over a guy you only consider to be supremely bang-worthy.

I think my issue is that if this is all about Royal Renovation v. Royal Love, the stakes weren't really high enough for me. After all, Chet/Quinn switched from Grace to Anna easily enough. Loads of financial reasons to do this at the vineyard, particularly given convincing Adam's family to participate might be a challenge.The only real hang up would be the wedding. If this were Adam completely opposed to a new show and she thought this was the only way to convince him, that would make sense. That's why given the Adam/Anna conversation last week, I'm thinking this is a larger plot.

Agreed. Royal Love isn't a make or break series for anyone involved. Not for Chet, not for Quinn, not for the network and not even for Rachel. So the idea of anyone trying to blackmail Adam into marrying the winner on the finale, feels like a bridge too far in terms of its ridiculousness. No one needs this that bad to justify them being that desperate. If the show were still in trouble over what happened with Mary and they needed a big exciting finale to save the show from cancellation, I could see people going to these lengths to force Adam into marrying someone. But not for a spinoff. Especially since that spinoff is not off to the table. Adam may not be willing to actually marry a contestant, but he's clearly willing to negotiate. Surely a compromise can be found without resorting a harebrained scheme to blackmail Adam that could end up back firing in a big way. I mean, it's not like Adam isn't privy to a lot of embarrassing and damaging shit about the show. Alienating him could leave the show both without a spinoff AND with a huge potential PR problem. I mean who knows if Adam ever even signed a no disclosure agreement since it was established in the pilot that they started shooting the first episode without Adam ever actually signing a contract. Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Love 2

Was it just my imagination, or in order to view the latest episode online (starting with this one), do you now have to have a cable or satellite or similar provider? Like, if you only have Broadcast TV, you can no longer view the episode?  I tried to view Two, and I was asked to sign in by picking my provider. Which I don't have. 

Any other ways to view the episodes online?

It has to be more than attraction at this point though right? Her reaction watching Adam schmooze Anna doesn't make much sense if she only has a minor crush on him. I mean, Adam was kissing a girl of her choosing essentially on her orders, and it still looked like watching him with Anna made her feel a little sick. That kind of reaction is not generally spawned over a guy you only consider to be supremely bang-worthy.

Don't forget that scene from a few episodes back where Adam kissed Rachel on the cheek and she actually SWOONED. She did not look happy to see her reaction when watching the footage and promptly deleted the video.

• Love 4

Beirko is doing a great job as Chet.  But now I hate both Chet AND Berko.  I'm not sure I'll ever be able to separate the actor from the character now  I hope Chet gets some serious comeuppance.  

Adam seems bitter that his winery is being turned into a Spa but isn't that what he wanted?  Funding for his hotel/winery?  He was willing to have sex with the guy's wife to do it.

I like Jeremy, but I know it's partly (mostly?) because I think the actor is cute. So poor Jeremy.  I hope the actor is around next season. Why does Rachel have to choose either Adam or Jeremy.  Why choose?

This episode was great and awful at the same time.  I wonder if Madison (the PA) is either the child of someone super rich/famous, or if she works for the media somehow.  She definitely has an agenda.

I can't wait for next week to see how the Adam/Rachel hook-up plays out.  Who's using whom?

Agree that Bierko is killing it as Chet...though this show has an embarrassment of good acting. Yes, he is amoral, sleazy, utterly dishonest, successful, madly rich and mean as a snake (firing the 4 year veteran on the spot, for example). Never worked for or with a true Chet, but with some wannabes...guys who aspire to be Chet in their fondest dreams. Even they are nightmares to be around. Yeah, Rachel is damaged, but how do you describe Quinn, who has spent 8 years with this creature?

• Love 5
This came up on another website, it's been pretty sidelined, but they did mention at one point that Adam is an earl.

I didn't realize that! You'd think the show would be pushing that constantly to the women. "You'll be a countess! You might meet Kate Middleton!" Adam being an earl would also help explain why he's against marrying someone just for show.

(Nerd nitpick: If Adam is an earl and his father is still alive, Adam's title is a courtesy title only, and he stands to inherit a bigger one—marquess or duke—when his father dies. Aristocracy still doesn't equal royalty, though.)

• Love 6

I guess we'll have to disagree on this because I can't buy that Rachel would go along with blackmailing Adam with a sex tape involving herself. She knows Adam well enough to realize he would never cooperate with her if he were to find out she was involved in a scheme to blackmail him. Adam also said to Anna in a previous episode that he knows there are cameras in their rooms. If he didn't want their hook up filmed, he would have made sure they were disabled first since he stated himself that he knows how to do that. 

And I disagree that Rachel is like Chet. Unlike most of her co-workers, she actually does feel guilty when she has to hurt someone in favor of the show. Chet and Quinn don't care period. Rachel has had moments where she has chosen the high road (like when she chose to protect Faith's sexuality. She even stood up to Chet when he wanted to us the footage). Quinn and and Chet would have never done that. They would have outed Faith on the show and wouldn't have felt the least bit sorry about it. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Adam seems bitter that his winery is being turned into a Spa but isn't that what he wanted?  Funding for his hotel/winery?  He was willing to have sex with the guy's wife to do it.

I don't think it's what he wanted so much as what he felt he had to settle for.  His first investors made it very clear that no investor was going to come near him unless he brought his father along, which he's not willing to do.  Chet and his friend were his only offer, so while he probably has never loved the idea of using the Everlasting brand name on his winery, he was desperate enough to take thatdeal.

Adam also said to Anna in a previous episode that he knows there are cameras in their rooms. If he didn't want their hook up filmed, he would have made sure they were disabled first since he stated himself that he knows how to do that. 

I just remembered too that we also saw Adam throw a piece of clothing over the camera in his room at the end of the pilot before his first hook up with Grace, so it was established in the very beginning that the contestants were aware that they were being monitored in their rooms and where the cameras were located.

Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Love 2

I feel dirty after I watch an episode of this show. It's rather thrilling to get these kind of feelings from a show.

In the scene where Adam and Rachel are in bed talking and he's holding her socked foot, I was hoping that:

1. Rachel had been taking regular showers in his bathroom or somewhere else on set and
  2. Rachel was doing laundry.

I feel more clinical with this show than I do when watching actual medical procedurals.

• Love 6

Was it just my imagination, or in order to view the latest episode online (starting with this one), do you now have to have a cable or satellite or similar provider? Like, if you only have Broadcast TV, you can no longer view the episode?  I tried to view Two, and I was asked to sign in by picking my provider. Which I don't have. 

I think you can still view the latest episode, but not the entire series without signing in.  I do have cable, but my cable provider (AT&T) doesn't have a deal with Lifetime and other A&E owned channels so I can't sign into their website using my cable subscription but I can still watch UnReal online.

This just doesn't seem likely to me.  Not because I don't think Rachel could be that manipulative with Adam or that she'd be above using her body to make a deal, but because I can't see how having a sex tape with Adam would serve as leverage.  Adam's already voluntarily released one sex tape this year.  He might not be thrilled to let another one leak, but it's doubtful that that would be enough to make him sign up for the spin off that he didn't want to be on.  Plus, Rachel has to know that Adam's affection toward her is one of her strongest tools in her kit to get him to do what she wants.  Using sex between them as a means to trap him would likely kill that. Rachel's a smooth operator, and part of what makes her so good is she knows just how far to push her subjects.  She never makes the mistake that Shia always used to where she pushed so hard she ended up insulting the people she needed to help her.

And I just don't buy the idea that this video could inspire Adam to feel protective of Rachel if Rachel's plan is for Quinn to be the one doing the blackmail.  Rachel hasn't laid the seeds with Adam that she's the sort of person who needs someone to stick up for her, or that she's the sort of person who would be devastated by a sex tape getting out.

I can buy it.  We've already seen how far he's willing to go when he wants to protect someone.  He has done it with Faith.  He even did it with Mary.  I don't know that Rachel went to Adam for blackmail sex. I don't think that was the case.  But I can believe that Quinn could come up with some reason for Adam to feel protective enough that he'd relent a little in his demands.  I don't think it's about the sex tape, per se, but rather the mere fact that Rachel had sex with the bachelor undermining the whole show.  It'd imagine it's a fireable offense.  So I don't think threatening to expose Rachel in a sex tape would be bothersome but her job?  I do think Rachel would worry about that.

(edited)
And I disagree that Rachel is like Chet. Unlike most of her co-workers, she actually does feel guilty when she has to hurt someone in favor of the show.

My comparison to Chet was based on the fact that he was already getting head from some young PA barely a day after proposing to Quinn because it is simply in his nature and who he is. With Rachel, yes, every once in awhile her conscience comes out and she shows signs of feeling guilty and hating what she has to do but at the end of the day she does it and whether she likes to admit it or not, she does take some pride in how good she is at that job. So while she may have some feelings of guilt, that natural instinct and ability to manipulate others will often win out. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

My comparison to Chet was based on the fact that he was already getting head from some young PA barely a day after proposing to Quinn because it is simply in his nature and who he is. With Rachel, yes, every once in awhile her conscience comes out and she shows signs of feeling guilty and hating what she has to do but at the end of the day she does it and whether she likes to admit it or not, she does take some pride in how good she is at that job. So while she may have some feelings of guilt, that natural instinct and ability to manipulate others will often win out. 

That's another thing we'll have to choose to agree disagree one because I don't agree with that comparison either. Chet was cheating on his new fiance of a day with a co-worker because he is and will always be a cheating sleazebag.. Rachel isn't in a relationship with anybody. Sure, sleeping with Adam (regardless of what her motivation was) is a bad idea that will probably lead to some consequences for herself if the network bosses or Chet find out, but she wasn't committing a personal betrayal to anyone by hooking up with him. 

• Love 4

I'm not on board with all the Faith and Adam TV-shipping. Everlasting is already reaching "Joe Millionaire" levels of unsustainability. I know UnReal is about behind the scenes manipulation, but the show within a show is starting to look unwatchable. How would they do a spin-off with a closeted love interest?

• Love 1
(edited)

That's another thing we'll have to choose to agree disagree one because I don't agree with that comparison either. Chet was cheating on his new fiance of a day with a co-worker because he is and will always be a cheating sleazebag.. Rachel isn't in a relationship with anybody. Sure, sleeping with Adam (regardless of what her motivation was) is a bad idea that will probably lead to some consequences for herself if the network bosses or Chet find out, but she wasn't committing a personal betrayal to anyone by hooking up with him. 

Once again I think you're misunderstanding me. My point is Chet will always cheat and be sleazy because it's who he is, it is in his nature no matter even if he might want to be better and really does love Quinn. By that token, Rachel may genuinely care for  Adam and others like Faith for example and she really did feel bad about Mary but her natural instinct and nature is to manipulate people and do whatever it takes for that show. It's her nature. 

For the record,  I don't dislike Rachel. All I've said is exactly the reason I find her so fascinating and the show so compelling. And it's also why again I just don't feel it was as simple as her and Adam having sex because she just suddenly decided to give into her attraction and his advances. No, with everything else that was happening this episode, something about that smells fishy to me. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

IMO there are a lot of layers going on with Rachel and Adam, some of which they're aware, and some possibly not. They are using each other, and they're pretty upfront about it. However they do recognize - and don't judge - each other's ambition, and they both are willing to go to some pretty extraordinary and even shitty lengths to get what they want. But they do have a limit, and it usually revolves around not hurting other people. Like not outing of Faith, and doing whatever damage control they can for Lily Belle (and the show, yeah) after failing Mary.

Chet has no limit. Chet is about Chet, he is all id and unfortunately he's got the money to indulge that id indefinitely. Quinn outright referred to Adam as a "prop" -- that was chilling to me, she's disassociated herself so much with her own humanity that she can't see Adam as a human being anymore.

My second favorite line, other than the "flipper baby" one: Adam calling Rachel a gollum.

• Love 6

To those with the DVR having cut out:  I watched the program on my iPad last night through the DirecTV website and I lost the last couple of minutes too.

Fortunately, I DVR'd it at home.  I will have to watch the last two minutes when I get home on Friday.  But that's annoying:  sitting through the whole program and missing the cliffhanger.

(edited)

I'm not sure what's up with Anna.  She might think she's entitled to win because she wanted to leave after her father's death and they convinced her that Adam really liked her and that she had a shot.  But Anna also reminds me of girls I knew in college, who thought they were entitled to the best of everything because they were white.  

I find the racism in this show interesting and very realistic when I think about shows like The Bachelor.  The producers say that it's the public who wouldn't accept it if "The Suitor" picked a black woman, but I kind of feel it's their own racism talking, I mean goodness, what would happen if a black woman were actually desired, OMG, alert the media, and naturally the black woman gets cut, so it proved my point.  The media in America wants to make sure that black women are totally on the bottom, dating wise.  Sure some folks would balk if a white "suitor" chose a black woman, but they'd watch next season and from what I've seen, if you see something enough times, you get used to it.

Oh, and the reason the network wanted Grace to win, to get those Telemundo viewers, of course.  Goodness.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

I think Quinn is aware that Chet is a cheater but what really freaked her out was that he was doing it at the workplace and with a younger version of Quinn.  It's one thing, in her mind, for him to buy hookers.  It's totally another for him to sh*t where they eat--especially with someone who reports to both Quinn and Chet.  That set was their place--away from his wife and all the outside world. Chet destroyed that.

• Love 5

I think it was a combination of those two things. She might have known, intellectually, that Chet was a cheater, but seeing it in person hit it home. There is also the All About Eve feelings of being replaced by a younger version of herself. I think it was both things that set her off. 

I can buy that the audience would like Adam and Faith. America loves a cutie almost as much as they love a mean girl. Plus, they do actually have chemistry, even if its not romantic, but I can see people reading it as romantic if they didn't know the truth. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I think it was a combination of those two things. She might have known, intellectually, that Chet was a cheater, but seeing it in person hit it home. There is also the All About Eve feelings of being replaced by a younger version of herself. I think it was both things that set her off.

I think it also stung because of *when* it was happening. This wasn't Chet acting out when things were on the rocks between them, or something that happened well into their marriage when they might have grown apart (which is I'm sure how she has explained to herself how she supplanted his first wife). It happened right after he proposed and right when he started showing her the level of affection she's always craved from him. I don't know that Quinn has any expectations that Chet will be able to be completely monogamous towards her, but what he did was on par with cheating during your honeymoon. Even when you're marrying someone who you know is a cheater, that's gotta burn.

Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Love 9
(edited)

I think it also stung because of *when* it was happening. This wasn't Chet acting out when things were on the rocks between them, or something that happened well into their marriage when they might have grown apart (which is I'm sure how she has explained to herself how she supplanted his first wife). It happened right after he proposed and right when he started showing her the level of affection she's always craved from him. I don't know that Quinn has any expectations that Chet will be able to be completely monogamous towards her, but what he did was on par with cheating during your honeymoon. Even when you're marrying someone who you know is a cheater, that's gotta burn.

I could also see him explicitly telling her this - "we've grown apart, we live separate lives, we're married in name only, there's no intimacy, we haven't had sex in years," etc. And she'd believe it because she wanted to. That's why the pregnancy had to sting too, because clearly there is SOME level of intimacy there.

(My old coworker's friends split after he cheated on their honeymoon. He didn't have a history of cheating; he stayed at the bar without her one night - which struck me as odd, why drink alone on your honeymoon? - got wasted, and slept with some random woman. Didn't come back to their hotel that night. She confronted him the next morning, he admitted it, they spent the rest of the trip fighting, came home and tried to work through it, and split like six weeks later. I was like "Wait, weren't you just in that wedding?" when my coworker told me.)

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 2

And why is Quinn okay with a Latina being Adam's bride but not a black woman?

The unfortunate truth about racism is that it's not a binary system where you're either white and thus accepted, or a person of colour and excluded. There's always been a hierarchy, even within in racial groups, where people with lighter skin and whiter features are privileged over their more "ethnic" looking peers. Grace is the "right" kind of exotic (exoticism itself being a pretty racist concept, mind you) and is therefore exceptable to some like Quinn, while Shamiqua is not.

• Love 2

The unfortunate truth about racism is that it's not a binary system where you're either white and thus accepted, or a person of colour and excluded. There's always been a hierarchy, even within in racial groups, where people with lighter skin and whiter features are privileged over their more "ethnic" looking peers. Grace is the "right" kind of exotic (exoticism itself being a pretty racist concept, mind you) and is therefore exceptable to some like Quinn, while Shamiqua is not.

Brad pushed for Grace because he's a racist ass that wants the "telemundo" audience. Grace is Brazilian so she may not even be Spanish speaking, but he was generalizing her South American roots ergo we'll get some more minority viewers. Ugh.

I will agree with you that there is a lot of racism on reality shows which this scripted show is highlighting.

• Love 1

Brad pushed for Grace because he's a racist ass that wants the "telemundo" audience. Grace is Brazilian so she may not even be Spanish speaking, but he was generalizing her South American roots ergo we'll get some more minority viewers. Ugh.

I will agree with you that there is a lot of racism on reality shows which this scripted show is highlighting.

Also to the poster who spoke about the "beauty" hierarchy re: paleness of skin. "Shamiqua" looked as white as the South American to me. Only the name is "black," and unlikely in a girl as clearly middle class as she was.

It always killed me years ago watching All My Children where a gorgeous black guy and a gorgeous white girl remained "friends" despite their chemistry, while "Family Feud" followed with one interracial family after another. There's never any rational sense to this stuff.

• Love 3
(edited)

We're straying from the topic - discussing how the show compares to real life and reality shows should please happen in the UnReality vs. Reality topic. Let's please stick to the episode in here. Thanks!

ETA: Posts have now been moved before and after this note, since the conversation did not move. Sorry if there's some choppiness, but if most of your post was not specifically about this episode, it was moved.

Thanks! And enjoy these kittens!

QgDNItg.gif

Edited by stacey
  • Love 5

I don't think Faith's girlfriend would appreciate it if Faith spent a year married (or even faux-married) to Adam.

Doesn't matter; she doesn't want to come out.  Faith is going to be number one. I can see this from a mile away.  

• Love 1

My DVR also cut off because stupid Lifetime has to stagger its schedule. I have it programmed to extend for next week, but now I have to wait until Monday to catch the rerun and see the actual ending. If I on demand it, I cannot fastforward. Just air shows on time dammit.

• Love 3
I don't think Faith's girlfriend would appreciate it if Faith spent a year married (or even faux-married) to Adam.

Doesn't matter; she doesn't want to come out.  Faith is going to be number one. I can see this from a mile away.

I wouldn't mind, I like the actress best of the three. Still not sure what the upside for Faith is, realistically. But I didn't think Rachel would be able to convince Adam about a spinoff but bless her she came up with a palatable alternative. Kudos to Rachel's spinning skills.

• Love 2

My DVR also cut off because stupid Lifetime has to stagger its schedule. I have it programmed to extend for next week, but now I have to wait until Monday to catch the rerun and see the actual ending. If I on demand it, I cannot fastforward. Just air shows on time dammit.

Thankfully I'm able to do a single fast forward (slowest FFWD) with Comcast OnDemand for this show, so I could do that right after mine cut off when Adam said something like "what if I can't have what I want".  How about turning it on while you're making dinner, taking a shower, or doing laundry and just let it run without you watching it and then run in for the end?  Annoying but it will get you the last few minutes without having to rewatch.

• Love 1

Quinn can't really be THAT shocked by what Chet did. I mean she's been with this guy for 8 years, she knows he's a scumbag and a sleaze and a drug addict- she can't really think he hasn't been with other women, right?

It's funny, even though he's totally gross, I kinda do believe that he loves Quinn and really does want to marry her. It seems like a Bill Clinton thing to me- he's just a guy who's always going to be scummy and self-absorbed, and you can't change it.

• Love 4

Quinn can't really be THAT shocked by what Chet did. I mean she's been with this guy for 8 years, she knows he's a scumbag and a sleaze and a drug addict- she can't really think he hasn't been with other women, right?

It's funny, even though he's totally gross, I kinda do believe that he loves Quinn and really does want to marry her. It seems like a Bill Clinton thing to me- he's just a guy who's always going to be scummy and self-absorbed, and you can't change it.

Because he has some qualities that she admires and she needs his sponsorship to advance.

"Because he has some qualities that she admires and she needs his sponsorship to advance."

But that's the thing with this kind of calculation...Quinn can see the upside in having an intimate relationship with Chet...and let us add, that presumably one of the items on that list is that she has his sole sponsorship on the job front. By  hooking up with PA with braids, he made clear that she doesn't have even that. I suspect that that is what enraged her...she has hollowed herself out to get ahead, and put up with all that Chet has dished out, and i think her goal is to be Chet, or at least achieve his professional level of success. Marriage to Chet...yeah the ring is nice, and the marriage thing is ok in a vague way, but the real deal is getting to be a player.

And now, she's older than the recently departed Mary, whom Chet described as old and desperate, and she's looking at a very young version of herself on the make with Chet. Now wonder she has gone nuclear.

• Love 2