Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Two

I think you guys are way too cynical about Quinn's feelings for Chet.  If her career was the primary draw in their relationship, she wouldn't have been so outraged when his wife announced she was pregnant.  Nor would she have been so upset by his wife's speech about how she will only ever be his side piece.  I think it's obvious that Quinn's in love with him.  It may be a twisted kind of love because Quinn is still Quinn, but it's love all the same.  I mean, Quinn made it clear in episode two that she imagined spending the rest of her life with him. One of her first responses to the news that there was a baby on the way was to say that Chet had just added 18 years onto her life sentence.  Meaning that if Chet ended up staying in his marriage for his kid, it'd be a least another 18 years until Chet might leave his wife for her.  Those aren't the kind of thought someone who is just sleeping her way to bigger and better things for her career has.

• Love 7

I think Quinn does love Chet but isn't blind to his faults, one of which is that he's a big old cheater, who was still sleeping with his wife enough to get her pregnant

She was most likely resigned to the idea that he would cheat later during their marriage. It's the fact that barely a day after he proposed he's on her set getting a blowjob from her PA. He couldn't even be bothered to wait a little bit or even go further away from the show. That's why she's about to go nuclear on him.

• Love 5

I think you guys are way too cynical about Quinn's feelings for Chet. If her career was the primary draw in their relationship, she wouldn't have been so outraged when his wife announced she was pregnant. Nor would she have been so upset by his wife's speech about how she will only ever be his side piece. I think it's obvious that Quinn's in love with him. It may be a twisted kind of love because Quinn is still Quinn, but it's love all the same. I mean, Quinn made it clear in episode two that she imagined spending the rest of her life with him. One of her first responses to the news that there was a baby on the way was to say that Chet had just added 18 years onto her life sentence. Meaning that if Chet ended up staying in his marriage for his kid, it'd be a least another 18 years until Chet might leave his wife for her. Those aren't the kind of thought someone who is just sleeping her way to bigger and better things for her career has.

My point was not that her connection with him was due solely to ambition. He clearly excites her because he is good at what he does; it's what she aspires to. In addition, as a powerful male, he is helpful to her in a cut throat business. One poster said that she has accepted that he is a sleaze; I was agreeing that she probably feels that his charisma, talent and power balance that out.

Could the flash file hold a copy of that showbook they were so concerned about?

(edited)

Could the flash file hold a copy of that showbook they were so concerned about?

I was thinking maybe the video of him being voyeur to Adam and investor wife sexcapades?  I sort of think it's not the showbook because she had that in hard copy and the lawyer was like 'so what?'.  

Also, I don't understand why Quinn took the ring off if she's trying to convince Chet that everything is copacetic.

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 2

I was thinking maybe the video of him being voyeur to Adam and investor wife sexcapades? I sort of think it's not the showbook because she had that in hard copy and the lawyer was like 'so what?'.

Also, I don't understand why Quinn took the ring off if she's trying to convince Chet that everything is copacetic.

Right about the showbook.

It was curious that she cached the ring. Maybe so she won't be tempted to return it.

xqueenfrostine - Thanks, I went back again to the Lifetime site and found another way to get to the episode so that it did not give me the pop-up asking me to select my provider.  

I also had to turn off ad-blocker plugins like Ghostery in order to be able to (1) fast forward and (2) stop my computer from getting hung up during of the advertising pauses that occur during the streaming video.

Topic: I realized, watching this episode, that this show officially reminds me of a book I loathed: Gone Girl. Hated the characters. I forced myself to keep reading just to see who would "win" in the end. 

Similar to GG, everyone in unReal is unlikable (even loathsome) to one degree or another, except perhaps Faith (who may end up making some unfortunate choices, I suppose, but who is still a decent and likable person.)  As with GG, I'm only watching to see what happens in the end.  

Sadly for me--assuming that the show was written with a hoped-for second season in mind (and which is now confirmed)--I doubt the ending of this season of uR will be any more satisfying than the ending of Gone Girl.  IOW, I doubt anything of any major importance will be resolved. Rather, the stage will simply be set for another 10 episodes of Dysfunctional People Behaving Badly.  

I think Quinn realized that while she has moved into the "wife" role, that means that someone is automatically going to show up in the "mistress" role.  It might be in her best interest to produce Chet into getting back with his wife, so that she can be the forbidden fruit that he craves.

It reminds me of an old boss I had once.  He cheated on his mistress and she freaked out.  Because it was fine for him to cheat on his wife with her, but it wasn't fine if he slept with anyone BUT the wife and the mistress.  The "logic" was mind boogling.

I don't like Quinn.  I want to like her, but I don't. 

• Love 2

I'm not sure what's up with Anna.  She might think she's entitled to win because she wanted to leave after her father's death and they convinced her that Adam really liked her and that she had a shot.  But Anna also reminds me of girls I knew in college, who thought they were entitled to the best of everything because they were white.  

I find the racism in this show interesting and very realistic when I think about shows like The Bachelor.  The producers say that it's the public who wouldn't accept it if "The Suitor" picked a black woman, but I kind of feel it's their own racism talking, I mean goodness, what would happen if a black woman were actually desired, OMG, alert the media, and naturally the black woman gets cut, so it proved my point.  The media in America wants to make sure that black women are totally on the bottom, dating wise.  Sure some folks would balk if a white "suitor" chose a black woman, but they'd watch next season and from what I've seen, if you see something enough times, you get used to it.

I think Anna really does think she and Adam have some sort of connection because of what happened when he consoled her and convinced her to stay after her dad died.    I don't get the whole - it's because she thinks she's entitled to the best of everything - thing.  Because she's white.  Isn't that racist, to just assume she thinks she's entitled because she's white?

There are plenty of girls, of all racial backgrounds, who grow up very self-possessed and with high self-esteem and a high sense of self-worth.   In fact, unless it's changed in recent years, I think girls in the US of African decent have a much more positive body image compared to white girls... so at least there's that.

But I totally feel you on Everlasting's production staff ridiculous attitudes toward Shamiqua.  (I'm too lazy to look of the spelling, sorry.)   But... although they have tried to encourage him to keep a certain person that they want for drama, Adam is still free to keep whichever women he chooses.  Isn't he?  

It didn't seem like they had any kind of a connection honestly.  Is that just because production kept them apart?   If Adam was interested, I'm sure he would have made an effort to get to know her more.  She never seemed like she was particularly interested in him either, really.

Are people not allowed to have "a type" any more?  I think on The Bachelor/Bachelorette shows, they do a lot of interviews to heavily stack the cast with people that are the "suitor's" type.   But then you also have to have diversity, even if the suitor has a clear preference.   Personally I find a lot of contrast in features very attractive.   I've just never been attracted to blond men for instance, or men with dark or tanned skin and dark hair and eyes.   My own contrast is pretty low unfortunately, but I think it is so stunning for a women to have black hair and light skin, especially with blue eyes.  I really like similar high contrast in men.  What can I say... I like what I like.   And of course it's the inside that is most important, but it's difficult if you just don't feel that physical attraction.  And with this type of show, it's all superficial. 

Also, if Adam was attracted to Shamiqua and chose her over everyone else (and was sincere about pursuing a relationship) do you think the production staff would prevent him from choosing her at the end?   Because the public "wouldn't accept it"?    Personally, I really don't think that's how this show operates.   Maybe I'm wrong and the contract they sign stipulates that the show chooses who stays.  But if that is the case, why did they let him cut that character in the pilot that they were counting on to play the bitch role?

It kind of sucks that they will both be gone from the show now.  Unless they have some other reason for Jay to stick around for the last couple episodes.  I like his character and what he adds to the show.   At least Jay and Shamiqua got to share the frustration of being a black contestant on this type of show, once again in this episode, so there's that at least.

I was finally starting to warm up to Chet a bit, in the first half of the episode, but then after what he did to Rachel and with the PA that looks like she's 14... he is just as disgusting as ever.  What a scumbag.   I agree that Quinn should not be surprised, but that is like a sucker-punch so soon after the romantic proposal.   Never trust a guy who cheats on his wife.   They never really change.

And Jeremy.  Ugh.  If it weren't for Chet and Quinn, he would be the worst!  But on this show, he has to get in line.  I hated how he was just so assuming that Rachel would be so grateful he broke up with his fiance, and waiting for him in the truck.    I loved him finding that she wasn't there.  You dodged a bullet Lizzie!

I kind of wish Rachel and Adam hadn't gotten together yet.  For one thing, I wanted to see more of the lead up.    And while I think she genuinely likes him, she may have lost some of her leverage by giving in already.   She still wants to be able to get him to sign up for the show, I think.   His interest in her, before they hooked up, may have motivated him to sign up.   He seems like he is very much into the chase and the conquest, so he may have lost a bit of his interest and motivation.  I hope that's not the case, but IRL it probably would be.

Rachel's strategy of pitching him Royal Renovations was pretty inspired.   She is so great at what she does.  Royal Renovations really could ultimately get him everything he wants.   The sexy times at the end of this episode could complicate things going forward, especially if Rachel ends up being the showrunner.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't think it's about the sex tape, per se, but rather the mere fact that Rachel had sex with the bachelor undermining the whole show.  It'd imagine it's a fireable offense.  So I don't think threatening to expose Rachel in a sex tape would be bothersome but her job?  I do think Rachel would worry about that.

IIRC something similar happened with a producer (? cameraman?) on Survivor (? the Bachelor? sorry this is so vague but I think was last decade), and a female contestant.  I also don't think it was even sex, I think it was just flirting or kissing or giving signs they intended to date after the series finished spooling out.  I'm also pretty sure he did wind up getting fired.

They had me fooled with Chet honestly - like the Mommy and Daddy of Everlasting - except I knew there was a reason Quinn twigged to Chet only ever paying cash for everything when they were cheating together, and never using his cards.  That takes forethought and a certain degree of criminality. 

This is great risky writing and I love it, but I don’t understand how the entire Rachel/Jeremy storyline could have been crafted without my caring for a second whether Jeremy lives or dies.  It was almost hilarious to me from a meta standpoint, that I watched Jeremy lay one on Rachel and simultaneously think "oh geez, I'm supposed to be thinking this is some Scarlett/Rhett at the burning of Atlanta moment, aren't I?  Yet here I am, feeling like I'm watching wallpaper plant a kiss on Rachel."

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2

I think Quinn realized that while she has moved into the "wife" role, that means that someone is automatically going to show up in the "mistress" role.  It might be in her best interest to produce Chet into getting back with his wife, so that she can be the forbidden fruit that he craves.

There's a saying that a man who marries his mistress leaves a job opening. Life is complicated and that's not universally true, but with Chet, I think it is. No matter how gross I find Chet (and I do), there are always going to be young, hungry PAs or aspiring starlets who are willing to trade sex with a powerful guy who can help them in the business.

IIRC something similar happened with a producer (? cameraman?) on Survivor (? the Bachelor? sorry this is so vague but I think was last decade), and a female contestant.  I also don't think it was even sex, I think it was just flirting or kissing or giving signs they intended to date after the series finished spooling out.  I'm also pretty sure he did wind up getting fired.

On The Real World Seattle season, David, one of the cast members on the show, was in a relationship with one of the producers. She was fired for it (although I assume if they had waited a few months until he was no longer on the show, it would have been OK). She appeared on the show as his girlfriend and talked about how their relationship had cost her everything. I'd guess Rachel sleeping with Adam is a fireable offense.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe it's because of the Miranda Lambert/Blake Shelton news...but I figure Quinn was shocked in part because--by her logic--sure Chet cheated on his wife with her, but that's only because she (Quinn) was "Ms. Right" and the wife was not. So now that Chet was engaged to Quinn, he would not need to cheat anymore right?  

Also, I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm okay with the Jeremy character. We just know so little about him (unless I missed something), it's hard for me to just assume he's a total asshat.  He comes off to me as having been confused about, and wrestling with, his feelings for Rachel.  And that internal ambivalence has made him do/say some crappy things. But I just cannot dislike him. And I think Jeremy and Rachel do have chemistry.

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 2

I'm okay with Jeremy, too. If Rachel had said to him, "Leave me alone. I don't want anything to do with you," that would be one thing. But she hasn't, and it's clear she still hasn't worked through her feelings for him. They're both acting badly with each other. The person I think Jeremy is being terrible to is his fiancée, but she's there solely as a plot point. She's also annoying, so that makes me less sympathetic toward her. Heh. (Now I'm the terrible one!)

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't hate Jeremy, I just find him kind of pointless. I am glad he and his fiancee are over because I found her even more pointless. I mean I get they were there to serve some sort of "triangle" with Rachel but it's a triangle I just really didn't care about. The fiancee was a non-factor in my opinion and they haven't really done enough to truly show the connection and history between Rachel and Jeremy for me to actively root for them. So the whole thing just felt like filler and a time waster.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

I wouldn't mind, I like the actress best of the three. Still not sure what the upside for Faith is, realistically. But I didn't think Rachel would be able to convince Adam about a spinoff but bless her she came up with a palatable alternative. Kudos to Rachel's spinning skills.

The advantages for Faith would be money and it would make her grandmother happy, which is paramount to her.  And I trust they will come up with more reason's, as well!  An attractive lesbian on the staff of the spin off, perhaps. 

I'm okay with Jeremy, too. If Rachel had said to him, "Leave me alone. I don't want anything to do with you," that would be one thing. But she hasn't, and it's clear she still hasn't worked through her feelings for him. They're both acting badly with each other.

And for me, there's still the issue of her being able to orgasm to a happy video of her and Jeremy together but not by watching actual sex.  So I feel like I'm supposed to believe she has unresolved feelings for him.  I guess it will depend on how the next couple of episodes play out.  Is she now just done with him?

Also, the Bachelor did have a sex scandal with a producer.  It was Jake's season (seriously could easily play the pompous ass on any show ever, without effort) and a contestant was maybe or maybe not seen getting cozy with a producer.  THe producer also had a girlfriend who worked on set but he was also fired.  The drama!

I do actually hate Jeremy. Not because I think he's somehow more morally bankrupt than the rest of the characters, because clearly he isn't. I don't even hate him for cheating on his fiancée and stringing her along. He's just so boring that I resent his presence whenever he's onscreen because that's screen time that could have gone to literally anyone else and have been more interesting. I think Josh Kelly is certainly easy on the eyes, but he just can't make me care about his story. I can't even find Rachel's feelings for him interesting. He's cardboard cut-out of a character.

The advantages for Faith would be money and it would make her grandmother happy, which is paramount to her. And I trust they will come up with more reason's, as well! An attractive lesbian on the staff of the spin off, perhaps.

I can't see Faith marrying for money, no matter what the circumstances. If Adams talks Chet and Quinn down from marriage to engagement, then maybe, but Faith's extremely religious so I have no doubt that she sees marriage as a sacred institution. It would be completely out of character for her to enter a sham marriage for money. Even faking an engagement seems like something Faith would have a hard time justifying to herself.

I do actually hate Jeremy. Not because I think he's somehow more morally bankrupt than the rest of the characters, because clearly he isn't. I don't even hate him for cheating on his fiancée and stringing her along. He's just so boring that I resent his presence whenever he's onscreen because that's screen time that could have gone to literally anyone else and have been more interesting. I think Josh Kelly is certainly easy on the eyes, but he just can't make me care about his story.

Funny, because suddenly--just these last couple of episodes--I really want to know just what happened between Jeremy and Rachel, and why their dynamic has been so push/pull. They were in Mexico, right? Was it during filming, and that's when she had her melt down? And then Jeremy didn't stop by, or else she refused to see him, or what, exactly?  The show spends so little time on their back story, I'm not quite remembering it all. But I feel like there was supposed to be more to it and somehow as the episodes were being written, maybe the writers chose not to pursue the whole R/J thing in favor of more provocative story lines. Personally, I'd rather watch the Jeremy/Rachel story line than see yet another scene of Chet getting his jollies.

I can't see Faith marrying for money, no matter what the circumstances. If Adams talks Chet and Quinn down from marriage to engagement, then maybe, but Faith's extremely religious so I have no doubt that she sees marriage as a sacred institution. It would be completely out of character for her to enter a sham marriage for money. Even faking an engagement seems like something Faith would have a hard time justifying to herself.

This makes sense,of course.  I don't see this show taking a logical path, however.  :>)

Funny, because suddenly--just these last couple of episodes--I really want to know just what happened between Jeremy and Rachel, and why their dynamic has been so push/pull. They were in Mexico, right? Was it during filming, and that's when she had her melt down? And then Jeremy didn't stop by, or else she refused to see him, or what, exactly?  The show spends so little time on their back story, I'm not quite remembering it all. But I feel like there was supposed to be more to it and somehow as the episodes were being written, maybe the writers chose not to pursue the whole R/J thing in favor of more provocative story lines. Personally, I'd rather watch the Jeremy/Rachel story line than see yet another scene of Chet getting his jollies.

I'm sure there's an interesting story in there somewhere but at this point I think it's too late for me to get too invested in it.  They've put it off for so long, that whatever happened is bound to feel anti-climatic if we ever even get there. My boredom with Jeremy as a character has left me skeptical that Kelly could sell whatever whatever story the writers cooked up, because up until now he's existed more as a poorly used plot device than as a fully realized character.

• Love 2

I think Quinn realized that while she has moved into the "wife" role, that means that someone is automatically going to show up in the "mistress" role. It might be in her best interest to produce Chet into getting back with his wife, so that she can be the forbidden fruit that he craves.

It reminds me of an old boss I had once. He cheated on his mistress and she freaked out. Because it was fine for him to cheat on his wife with her, but it wasn't fine if he slept with anyone BUT the wife and the mistress. The "logic" was mind boogling.

I don't like Quinn. I want to like her, but I don't.

That's the #1 rule in adultery--never cheat on the mistress!

• Love 1

I wish we had more background on both Shamiqua and Grace... well, even a bit of Anna, too. Shamiqua's an interesting collection of traits, and Christie Laing did a good job with what she had to work with, but the best character moments for Shamiqua were in those early episodes. I know the show didn't want to put a lot of time into developing the contestants, but for someone who was final 4, I feel cheated that I didn't even know why Shamiqua would be upset (or surprised) at getting sent home. It didn't seem like she liked Adam or would respect him given how everyone seemed to know he was hooking up with Grace. I wish we'd gotten one scene--maybe between her and Anna--where she talked about what the show meant to her.

Grace walks the edge between being a bundle of stereotypes of the spicy Latina. Is Brazil really a place where people are buried alive? The actress is fine and ridiculously beautiful, but like with Shamiqua, she just hasn't been given much to do.

Even Anna, who was developed the most, is still a little mysterious. Anna seems to have become the bitch that Rachel originally only edited her into. Is that really the show crazy environment warping her, or is it that Anna really does have that self-centered, nasty mean girl side. Why would a seemingly successful lawyer even want to pledge a year of her life to someone she barely knows? Especially given that she's responsible for her younger brother! Who is he going to stay with while she does Royal Renovations with Adam?

I hope next season does end up being Royal Renovations, so we can have a slightly tighter cast list. The core characters are so well done. Also, it seems like such an elegant solution to the problem of seeing Rachel just do more the same manipulations. She'll be in a new role with new problems if she's the showrunner. I have to admit, though, that I have not been disappointed with the show's creativity of finding new depths for Rachel, Quinn, and Chet to sink to.

• Love 2

I can't even find Rachel's feelings for him interesting. He's cardboard cut-out of a character.

I think I could have found Jeremy/Rachel interesting, the first 3 eps I was intrigued. But they just spent so much time having Jeremy angry with Rachel and then no time showing a genuine connection or friendship or anything before having them jump eachother in the barn only to go back to Jeremy brooding, then jumping her again. I didn't see attraction build. I didn't get a chance to fall for their chemistry like I did with Rachel and Adam. I feel like they wanted to do more with Jeremy than they had time for - if they had been given more than 10 eps I think they could have done a much better job developing his character and relationship with Rachel. To me that's the weak part of the show - they just felt so incredibly rushed and out of place. I do like Josh Kelly, but I can't get behind Jeremy. Adam eclipsed him completely.

• Love 5

I think I could have found Jeremy/Rachel interesting, the first 3 eps I was intrigued. But they just spent so much time having Jeremy angry with Rachel and then no time showing a genuine connection or friendship or anything before having them jump eachother in the barn only to go back to Jeremy brooding, then jumping her again. I didn't see attraction build. I didn't get a chance to fall for their chemistry like I did with Rachel and Adam. I feel like they wanted to do more with Jeremy than they had time for - if they had been given more than 10 eps I think they could have done a much better job developing his character and relationship with Rachel. To me that's the weak part of the show - they just felt so incredibly rushed and out of place. I do like Josh Kelly, but I can't get behind Jeremy. Adam eclipsed him completely.

This 100%. I just can't get on board with the Jeremy character period because they've failed to explain his point of view. It's hard to like to like somebody when you don't fully understand the reasons for their behavior. I get that Jeremy was supposedly "hurt" by Rachel because she appears to have commitment issues, but all I've seen of their relationship so far suggests to me that Jeremy is more concerned about his wants and needs over Rachel's. For the most part he acts completely disinterested in Rachel's life and what she's going through. She had a mental breakdown on the set of their show. He witnessed it himself yet he didn't even bother to go check up on her when she was away hiding from everybody. She was and still is dealing with some very heavy emotional and mental stuff in relation to her job, but does he act like he cares? No, in almost every interaction with her he's making it about himself. 

This is probably sounds a little weird, but Jeremy is the least likeable character to me. I think the show is trying to sell him as the "nice and dependable" ex-boyfriend and it's not working for me. He's more like that ex you dump for being a self-involved jerk. Yes, most of the other characters have technically done worse things than Jeremy, but they're at least self-aware of who they are. With Jeremy I feel like he thinks he's the nice supportive boyfriend. He's not. 

• Love 7

This is probably sounds a little weird, but Jeremy is the least likeable character to me.

I agree. Rachel & Adam do terrible things, but they're self-aware and aspire to be better people. Jeremy has shown zero remorse for how he's treated Lizzie. Jeremy's no better than Chet.

• Love 3
This is probably sounds a little weird, but Jeremy is the least likeable character to me.

That's not weird to me. With the other characters who have done worse things, we've also seen them in moments of kindness or vulnerability. With Jeremy, we know very little about him, but what little we know is mostly negative. He lied to Lizzie about the extent of his relationship with Rachel and the depth of his feelings. He witnessed Rachel's breakdown but didn't do anything beyond call her. He cheated on Lizzie with no apparent sense of remorse. He knows that there's some strange dance going on between Rachel and Adam and that Rachel's under a lot of pressure from Quinn to give into her worst tendencies, but he expects that all he has to do to get back together with Rachel is tell Rachel he wants her. The nicest things we've seen him do are protect Rachel from getting in trouble for flirting with Adam.

I'm not sure if the show is trying to sell him as the nice, dependable boyfriend or not, though. He was written a fiancee, which made him seem fickle. It was established that he concealed things about his feelings for Rachel from Lizzie, and then he had the weird hot/cold thing in the barn with Rachel. In another show, I would dismiss it as bad writing but the character work on this show has been so tight that I think its possible Jeremy is intended to be yet another flavor of jerk on the set of Unreal. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Does anyone else love the dynamic between Chet, Quinn, and Rachel? If Quinn is Rachel's work mom then Chet has sort of become Rachel's weird work Step Dad. I really enjoy watching them interact with each other, so that little scene at the start of the episode with Rachel telling them to keep it real was fun. It's moments like this when I feel like I know why Rachel stays. This feels like home and kind of like family to her. Dysfunctional all the way, but still better than she's known.

I also liked The scene at the end with Jay and Rachel. They had their issue, but You could tell there is a friendship there that seems more real than his "we're good" speech with Shia, and the hug I think was Rachel reluctantly forgiving him.

Freddie Stroma really deserves more attention because he's been doing great work all season. He really sells his character and I can't say enough how much I enjoy him. For all the sleaziness of his character in the beginning he is the one who is most self aware on the show and I think he actually grew from this experience.

I would have said the same for Chet (showing growth) but as much as he went forward I guess some things never change - the cheating was to be expected but really that fast? I think that's probably what hurt Quinn the most. And I agree with the poster who said that it could have been a case of "well he cheated WITH me, but he wouldn't cheat ON me" thinking. She's cynical, but at the end of the day she's human and love is blinding sometimes no matter how tough you are.

Cannot wait to see Quinn really come out and play now! Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.....

That little intern seemed so sweet with those braids, I should've known! The way she said "for now"! Though I can't for the life of me figure out why reality tv is where she dreamed of working her whole life. Dream bigger kid. She's probably been waiting and observing so much since she's been there, probably has a lot of dirt, and now she's got a thing going with Chet. She definitely positioning herself for something in the future and has more power than anyone at this point thinks.

Edited by basically
  • Love 6

I've enjoyed UnReal for it's cole black heart, and when everything seemed to be coming up Millhouse for all the leads, I had to remind myself in the moment that they are all terrible people and narratively do not deserve a happy ending.

I found the Chet and Madison development very disturbing, and my mind wandering trying to fill in the gap between heartfelt "This is my dream!" to what Quinn witnessed. I can't help but to feel that this may have come out of Chet not wanting someone to be genuinely happy around him, so in his f'd up way wanting to destroying it. The culture of the show is on his head as the "creator"/boss, Quinn is just having to do it backwards and in heals.

The fact that this has bothered me so much (and I watch Hannibal feed people to people without much concern) is why I have to say Chet is the worst of the worst.

• Love 2
(edited)

Chet is a true glutton. Food, booze, sex, cars @ 100mph......whatever he can overindulge in, he will. (Stuffing those coldcuts in his mouth at the foodtruck was gross.)

His rendezvous with Madison didn't surprise me at all, and Quinn's "shock" was unbelievably naive to me. Did she expect fidelity? Why? Because he did the "romantic" candlelit proposal and gave her a beautiful diamond? Because he accelerated his divorce by offering his wife a huge settlement?

Quinn's surprise over the BJ made little sense to me because Quinn is supersmart and intuitive. She knows exactly who Chet is.

In fact, after she ditched her ring and removed the flashdrive from her safe, then embraced Chet as if everything were OK, I recognized the TRUE Quinn. Chick is large and in charge, and she WILL make Chet pay, on HER terms. Can't wait to see what Quinn is cooking up.

Meanwhile, Rachel is truly making my skin crawl. Don't trust her. I think her sexing of Adam is calculated. I hope not, but yeah I think so. Plus, now that Jeremy has broken his engagement for Rachel, she's flying high. And she WILL make Jeremy suffer.

I love love love Rachel the character, but she is genuinely warped and disturbed. Must be legacy of mama the super-warped shrink.

Edited by sleekandchic

I almost wonder if Quinn was less pissed about what he was doing and more about who it was with. That could have brought out insecurity about her age and the whole All About Eve thing. Because I also can't imagine she really thought this guy was going to be faithful to her, or even that he has been (aside from the wife) the entire time they've been having this affair. She knows him very well, and just because he wants to marry her (which I think he really does) and is willing to toss his money aside for her, doesn't mean he's not going to be the cheater that he's always been (or even that he doesn't love her, at least as much as a guy that self-absorbed can love somebody).

• Love 1

I almost wonder if Quinn was less pissed about what he was doing and more about who it was with. That could have brought out insecurity about her age and the whole All About Eve thing. Because I also can't imagine she really thought this guy was going to be faithful to her, or even that he has been (aside from the wife) the entire time they've been having this affair. She knows him very well, and just because he wants to marry her (which I think he really does) and is willing to toss his money aside for her, doesn't mean he's not going to be the cheater that he's always been (or even that he doesn't love her, at least as much as a guy that self-absorbed can love somebody).

I think that while Quinn understands/knows on one level that Chet is unlikely to be faithful, I think that for a brief period of time she was caught in the happily ever after mindset and the reality came crashing that to a halt super super quick.   Quinn is wired for hardball - she may have kept the cast out of sentimentality, but she used it in her business negotiations anyway.  Whatever is on that jump drive she swapped out for the engagement ring was already in the safe as a "just in case".

I did feel bad for her though when she came across the PA and Chet though.  She's tough, but she hurts.

• Love 2
(edited)

One last thought about this episode and the final scene.  We see from the preview that

the camera is directed straight at the bed.  Is it possible that Quinn could ultimately say it was Grace in bed with Adam?  Depending how she chooses to spin it?

Edited by stacey
Spoiler Tag Preview information

This was another kind of boring week. I wish Rachel had been playing Anna. All this has served to do is make me not like Grace or Anna and hope that Faith decides she wants to stay in the closet for a year so I don't have to deal with either of them.

Shamiqua, you had so much promise but you were so useless. 

Chet's motivational driving exercise? So dumb. Lovey-dovey with Quinn? Don't care. Getting blown in a storage room? This was the drama with the PA? UGH. Unless she writes an expose next week that was a complete waste of time.

I'm happy the show now seems to find Jeremy as bland as I do.

Adam's ethics were kind of hilarious considering what he was willing to do to get Everlasting.  He should have thought of things to get in order to do the show.

I thought the emphasis was not really his ethics but the fact that it was a year. We've gone through so much on this show it's hard to remember it's just three weeks. Signing on for three weeks is very different from getting married for a year. Sleeping with someone's wife one time is very different from getting married for a year. And I think Adam is probably keeping himself going with the promise of a reprieve and now that's potentially been taken away. Plus, we've seen he doesn't like to feel like he doesn't have options. Part of the reason Rachel's producering was so effective was because it was a way to give him back control and give him the illusion of bargaining power.

• Love 1

I still think it was a mistake to make this a week to week show. It amps up the drama but ultimately doesn't make much sense. Also, while they would downsize over time it still feels weird for people to just leave as their contestants are eliminated. Um, Jay did other things on the show as a producer aside from just talking to Shamiqua. 

I don't think that's the case. Adam and Rachel are both aware that there are cameras in the guest rooms He even told one of the contestants (I think it was Anna) that he knows how to disable the cameras.

I agree that if Adam and/or Rachel didn't know that the cameras would catch them that would be a big oversight on the part of the writers.

What is on the hard drive. Obviously something to destroy Chet, I am sure she wants to get married in a hurry because as Chet reminded us in this episode, it's a 50/50 state. ( Anvil). I guess Craig Bierko wont be back for S2. Perhaps the flash drive will induce another heart attack, cue Chet grabbing chest in finale.

Oh, I forgot to say that watching that proposal scene, I was sure he'd be dying. Especially with all that 'let's get married immediately, I'm tired of waiting' stuff. How many times have you heard that on a soap before something goes horribly wrong?

I can't believe they haven't been bashing us over the head with the earl thing. For chrissakes, these people are supposed to be professionals?

I think it was a combination of those two things. She might have known, intellectually, that Chet was a cheater, but seeing it in person hit it home. There is also the All About Eve feelings of being replaced by a younger version of herself. I think it was both things that set her off.

The thing about the PA... Madison, I think... is that she's not Eve. Rachel is Eve. Madison is like the butler. Madison is worse than the butler. She's the dog. The dog did it. 

It didn't seem like they had any kind of a connection honestly.  Is that just because production kept them apart?   If Adam was interested, I'm sure he would have made an effort to get to know her more.  She never seemed like she was particularly interested in him either, really.

True. I have no idea what her game plan was. Why did she want to be on the show? It didn't seem like she wanted fame. But she also wanted to make it far. That was established a few times. But why? To win? Did she even like Adam? 

Grace walks the edge between being a bundle of stereotypes of the spicy Latina. Is Brazil really a place where people are buried alive? The actress is fine and ridiculously beautiful, but like with Shamiqua, she just hasn't been given much to do.

I don't think it's something cultural but something to do with what she hinted at (last week?) about having lost a lot of people in her life and having found a way to cope. I don't think it's exactly the claustrophobia of small spaces (she didn't seem bothered by the tight quarters of that van when she was... entertaining Adam) but the idea of being buried wasn't comfortable for her. I think that quick sentence was supposed to reflect that she just couldn't be casual about it, not that there's a tradition of burying people alive in Brazil.

Brazil has a pretty high murder rate (#18 globally) and there's a fairly high presence of drug cartel activity there. Maybe there's a history of cartel victims being buried alive or dying (but not quite dead) victims being tossed into shallow graves?  

• Love 1

For eight years Quinn has been the mistress, the other woman. Realistic person that she is, she accepted the fact that she had no exclusivity rights and got on with it. But once Chet left his wife, and she became his fiancee, she expects fidelity and commitment. Now, she may have been silly and short sighted in expecting them, but she did. She was hurt and humiliated, and Quinn is the very wrongest person on earth to get on the bad side of. Chet is pretty secure in his sleazy charms, but he's in for a rude awakening! hee hee.

• Love 1