Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Surthrive

Surama river area is the location. There is a nurse and a green beret.  That fish trap looked pretty awesome. ALso, they had a mosquito/slash/fish net.... finally.

• Love 1

I don't know.  The nurse seemed to be along for the ride while the green beret seemed to do all the heavy lifting.  Maybe she learned some things about surviving from him because he was a great partner.  Too bad he caught a disease from one of those nasty sand flies.  Yuck.

And hooray for a multi-purpose mosquito net.  Smart.

• Love 4
(edited)

..The nurse seemed to be along for the ride while the green beret seemed to do all the heavy lifting...

Totally agree, but she sure wanted her opinions to be heard.

I am wondering about these people who apply to be on Naked and Afraid, and then decide they are not 'comfortable' naked.

Glad to see them successful, and interesting to watch the emotional ups and downs they went through.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2

I was surprised to see a new episode pop up on my DVR, I thought this season ended in time for the XL season to start.  I didn't realize there would be an overlap.  This couple seemed very uneven in terms of skill - the green beret did it all! He was a great partner and they seemed to get along quite well.  Quite a drama-free episode.

• Love 3

Green Beret needs to be on the next season of XL,  they both surprised me, I thought that she would miss her kids and tap out.

Same. As soon as the intro said she'd never been away from her 3 kids for more than a day or whatever, I immediately said she'd tap out early. I was pleasantly surprised, even though the Green Beret did a lot of the work.

The team was significantly unbalanced, skill-wise, and in spite of her early insistence on being heard/consulted, Nurse Mom seemed pretty content to let Green Beret take the alpha lead across the board. Including assembling her damn bra. 

I appreciated GB's hunting skills but he took a little too much glee in killing both the caiman and the snake. I guess a handful of grubs, a baby reptile, a catfish, and a single snake isn't very much sustenance for two adults over 21 days but I dunno. I might have let the baby caiman go and held out for another fish, seemed like there was plenty to eat along the riverbed without "going there." There was  something so unsettling to me in the way he was whooping it up about being a bona-fide "snake eater" or whatever. 

This was perhaps the first Naked and Afraid episode I have truly enjoyed watching.  Simply because they actually did something.  Their camp looked like freaking Gilligan's Island!  The shelter was sturdy and roomy.  They even built a covering to protect the fire during the rain.  The bench.  The tool rack.  All that was missing was a coconut phone.  I loved that they actively searched for food and seemed to be quite successful at it. 

It's unfair to compare the Green Beret's skill set to that of the Nurse Mom, so I don't fault her for "tagging along".  What better guy to do this challenge than a Green Beret?  The two of them really worked well together once Deb said she wanted to be heard and have input in decisions.  And he really kept his cool the entire time.  Even when Deb lost the fish in the trap the first time, he didn't berate her and instead suggested how to pick it up the next time.

I really do hope he makes the next All Stars edition.  He's perhaps the best competitor they've ever had.

• Love 6

Agree that this was a very enjoyable episode. It's nice to occasionally have episodes where the contestants are doing extremely well (see: EJ and Laura and their handmade yacht in the Amazon). They seemed to work together very well and found their roles. I didn't mind that Debbie didn't contribute as much since it didn't seem like Bo had a problem with it. Interesting that they got a bow drill as their 3rd item instead of a fire starter, though.

That postscript was terrifying--hope they both got better.

Edit: Saw Bo's post on FB and he said they're all healed up!

Edited by niklj
  • Love 2

They did really well, it seemed like they were catching a meal every day. And it rained for a while before their fire went out, they built a little canopy over it. I have to say, I was impressed.

When she mentioned they had "snuggled up for warmth" and he ended up making her a little bikini top was immediately followed with them waking up to go check their trap and he wrapped an arm around her. My Mom had a funny theory, she thinks they were more intimate than they let on. "They were fuckin'," were her exact words, haha, and while i really doubt it, they do seem closer than most. Both attractive, they got along exceptionally well, he didn't berate her for losing the fish, he ecouraged her to take a part the caiman, they we all cuddled up moreso than we've seen any other pair at night. By the end he was even slapping flies off her. Plus she really seemed to thrive under his leadership. They made a little house. If you watched that behind the scenes thing, she was the girl who put most emphasis on how she bathed every day to keep clean, had a little makeshift hairbrush and charcoal teeth brushing process. They seemed like they had the most fun, too, they put together those cute little informercials in their downtime. Could be because they had so much energy, but, funny to think about. My Mom was certainly convinced.

• Love 3