Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E09: A Decade of Dance Special Edition

• Start Topic

I  know nothing about obtaining rights to music for broadcast, but I wonder if the rights for season one were different that later seasons, and that is why we never see anything from season one.  I started watching this show right before season 4 started.  MTV ran a marathon of seasons 2 and 3 that got me watching.  They did not show season 1.  Even if Nigel is bitter, I can't imagine he would have the power to block the revenue that the production team (and FOX?) could have received for rebroadcasting season 1 when they were doing the marathons. 

Finally got around to watching this! I think I held off because I didn't want to be disappointed.

Unpopular opinion, but I just want to mention that Alison bugs so much. She so over the top and it's so annoying and cheesy. I hate anything she's in.

Thoughts on the dances:

The bench - Heidi was missing for me. Her vulnerability and rawness made that dance special.

The hummingbird - better than I remember it.

(Why did they waste time on the bad dancers? Ugh)

K-pop - still weird and fun.

National dance day - can't lie, I find it inspiring. What a beautiful goal, to have at least one day where the world (and it truly has become global ) dances together. It's really kind of touching. It's a day to remember we are all one heart beat and filled with joy. We can dance to express and remember that fact. You can do one of the routines...or do your own thing. Every soul invited. I like to think of it that way.

Ugh, fucking Alison. Talking about pulling faces. Gtfo. Next.

Everyone's all time fav - ha, I do love this. I'm not upset this is considered the all time favorite dance. Who didn't fall out of their chair when Alex rocked the shit out of this hop hop routine?!

Sigh. I was disappointed overall. I miss when sytycd was good.

Edited by lightbeam

So, Cat tells us that 2 weeks before, Christina Perri was a waitress and then Stacey Tookey did a routine with Billy Bell and Kathryn to her Jar of Hearts (cut to Allison and Neil doing the dance albeit with Christina playing the song and a string trio on stage as well). Couldn't get the rights to the original with Billy and Kathryn? *eye roll*

Perri wasn't there for Billy and Kathryn, though.  The show wanted to show her first tv performance.  

If you watch this on Hulu, there is no Ryan Seacrest stuff.  It was commercials.  

I didn't know this was coming in the lineup so I enjoyed it.  I could've done without hummingbird, kpop, joke auditions and Travis but I didn't mind the rest. 

When Travis was dancing in the opening number my teen looked up and said, "Nice muffin top."  

National dance day - can't lie, I find it inspiring. What a beautiful goal, to have at least one day where the world (and it truly has become global ) dances together. It's really kind of touching. It's a day to remember we are all one heart beat and filled with joy. We can dance to express and remember that fact. You can do one of the routines...or do your own thing. Every soul invited. I like to think of it that way.

Not sure if you kidding, but just in case you aren't - there actually is a 'World Dance Day' that existed before Nigel came up with this this. It's on April 29. 

Not sure if you kidding, but just in case you aren't - there actually is a 'World Dance Day' that existed before Nigel came up with this this. It's on April 29. 

Oh, I wasn't kidding! I was really having a cheesy moment about it. Didn't know about World Dance Day!