Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

A bit of (well, lets be honest, mostly lame...) comedy from our British friends, with some guests Americans won't know, but a few we definitely will.

My bit of wonder here is that after the fuss he's caused that they got Anthony Daniels to play nice for this. I mean it's always possible to sub in someone doing an impression (and I'm sure he's been made aware of that), but I'm 99.9% sure that's actually his voice.

Edited by Kromm

The most touching story connected to this film so far is the story of the late Daniel Fleetwood, the Star Wars fan who was dying of cancer who wanted to see TFA before he died, which he did because of a massive internet campaign, convincing J.J. Abrams to let Fleetwood and his wife see it in their home before he died and apparently they both loved it.

ETA re Ken Jennings so-called "joke," it's a case of both bad timing and worse taste.  Asshole much, Kenny?

Edited by DollEyes

The most touching story connected to this film so far is the story of the late Daniel Fleetwood, the Star Wars fan who was dying of cancer who wanted to see TFA before he died, which he did because of a massive internet campaign, convincing J.J. Abrams to let Fleetwood and his wife see it in their home before he died and apparently they both loved it.

Well the downside of that is that someone (Jeopardy's Ken Jennings, in a stupid stupid Tweet) immediately turned around and made a bad joke about how every fan who'd seen the film early died.

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS TV Spot #6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1QK_usL0Rs&feature=iv&annotation_id=56409e66-0000-2d97-a0bc-94eb2c08b5b2&src_vid=Sw2EAyjkNqo

sounds like this spot has the updated star wars theme - lot more persuasions and kind of more upbeat. but maybe it's just for this spot and not in the movie.

I'd guess that was music arranged by one of those trailer music folks: http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-music/ Where as the one that had the original theme was probably from the movie or composed by Williams at least... the folks making trailer music would likely be tasked with reworking old themes.

Discover the secrets of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in a new behind-the-scenes video featurette

This was on Disney XD... which means it's pretty official. The show host/narrator flat out describes things that have only been alluded to before.

I AM confused a bit though, because the headline of the article which embeds this video uses the term "featurette". Does 61 seconds really count as a featurette?  it's new stuff though--especially the overt descriptions of who and what Rey and Finn are.

The show host/narrator flat out describes things that have only been alluded to before.

In that case, I won't watch it. I'm happy to spin a few theories based on the trailers, but other than that, I'm determined to remain unspoiled about this movie. I know a guy who has claimed to have read the leaked script online, and smugly says he knows everything that's going to happen. My question is, why is that something to be happy about? Why would you want to ruin the experience by reading the script ahead of time?

• Love 2

It's funny: I barely know anything about Finn and Rey as characters and I'm already shipping them.

One of the main reasons I'm hoping that Poe is Rey's brother/cousin is because I really don't want this movie to go down the love triangle route. It's not that I'm shipping Finn and Rey, but I would rather see them get together than see Rey torn between two guys. The original trilogy kept that very low key, and the jealousy was only ever played for laughs, but I feel like modern sensibilities to that trope would require a more angsty, dramatic take.

Honestly, calling Rey "a scavenger looking for answers" and Finn a "rouge storm-trooper who is looking for something to fight for or nothing to fight for" isn't revealing anything new. You get all that from the official trailer where Rey is clearly scavenging that old star-destroyer and Finn is in a storm-trooper outfit saying he was raised to do one thing and  ....

As for the potential love triangle, who knows. Until we know all the familial bonds among the new cast anything is possible. After all, the original trilogy did flirt with incest for a bit. So ANYTHING is possible.

Edited by tanita
  • Love 1

In that case, I won't watch it. I'm happy to spin a few theories based on the trailers, but other than that, I'm determined to remain unspoiled about this movie. I know a guy who has claimed to have read the leaked script online, and smugly says he knows everything that's going to happen. My question is, why is that something to be happy about? Why would you want to ruin the experience by reading the script ahead of time?

There wasn't much on this video but I am in complete agreement... or complete befuddlement, if you will... about fans who want to get spoilers. And this is become a rather common trait within modern fandom. So-called "fans" of Twin Peaks and The Walking Dead have even taken to spying on sets and taking iPhone videos of scenes that will happen, and other fans are clamoring over it because apparently it's better to experience those moments now through Wally Rodgers' Vine video than it would be to wait it out and experience it watching the show as the creators intended. I don't get it. The worst part about it is it forces us fans who don't want to view spoilers to avoid populated social areas of the internet of people with common interests because most of them do not care about spoiling it for people who don't want to be spoiled. I don't get it...

• Love 2

I think a certain amount of spoilers can be really fun because the speculation becomes a game, which can be super fun in its own right. It can also heighten your anticipation for what you DON'T know. But it is a fine line, and while a certain amount of spoilers is fun, I agree that too much makes it less interesting.

There wasn't much on this video but I am in complete agreement... or complete befuddlement, if you will... about fans who want to get spoilers. And this is become a rather common trait within modern fandom. So-called "fans" of Twin Peaks and The Walking Dead have even taken to spying on sets and taking iPhone videos of scenes that will happen, and other fans are clamoring over it because apparently it's better to experience those moments now through Wally Rodgers' Vine video than it would be to wait it out and experience it watching the show as the creators intended. I don't get it. The worst part about it is it forces us fans who don't want to view spoilers to avoid populated social areas of the internet of people with common interests because most of them do not care about spoiling it for people who don't want to be spoiled. I don't get it...

I don't mind a certain amount of spoilers, dependent on the circumstances and on how I feel about the show or movie. If, for example, I'm dreading something that looks like it's going to happen, I want to be spoilered about it so I know whether to bother watching or not. Season 5 of Game of Thrones was a prime example (and in fact, learning certain spoilers helped me decide not to watch). But if I'm absolutely looking forward to something, and genuinely excited about it, I want to go in blind. I want to watch it and experience it all without having a clue about what's going to happen.

With this movie, I do believe it's going to be good. It might not end up being a great piece of cinema, objectively speaking, but it will be a thoroughly enjoyable one for me. I'm sure of that, and so I want that enjoyment to be as fresh as possible on the 21st of December, when I go to see it.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

I don't mind a certain amount of spoilers, dependent on the circumstances and on how I feel about the show or movie. If, for example, I'm dreading something that looks like it's going to happen, I want to be spoilered about it so I know whether to bother watching or not. Season 5 of Game of Thrones was a prime example (and in fact, learning certain spoilers helped me decide not to watch). But if I'm absolutely looking forward to something, and genuinely excited about it, I want to go in blind. I want to watch it and experience it all without having a clue about what's going to happen.

With this movie, I do believe it's going to be good. It might not end up being a great piece of cinema, objectively speaking, but it will be a thoroughly enjoyable one for me. I'm sure of that, and so I want that enjoyment to be as fresh as possible on the 21st of December, when I go to see it.

I can understand that a bit. I've avoided spoilers for Game of Thrones which is hard since it the books are out there, but about last season I started to get annoyed with how manipulative the story can be in trying to shock people. I've actually looked at Walking Dead spoilers, but I've already read the comic and also, I'm not really a huge fan even though I still watch. I looked at Sons of Anarchy spoilers but only after I decided to stop watching. So for me, looking at spoilers is more of an indictment... a sign that I'm NOT a fan...

I want no part of spoilers for Twin Peaks, or any other show that I'm really into. And none for Star Wars too. I'm also trying to temper my excitement... there's something that still feels off about Disney running the show and there being no real creative head for the new direction of the franchise. I still don't feel it's a problem that Lucas had too much control... I want creative people to have total control Gary Kurtz said Lucas got too interested in selling toys and Lucas said he wanted to make the films for kids. I can find fault with Lucas if selling toys was driving his creative decision making, but chances are not good that a headless Disney corp. operation will be beyond that! The fix definitely is not taking the franchise out of the hands of creative people! But yet, I can't wait to see Han, Luke and Leia again and I'm intrigued by the new characters and the what we've seen from the trailers looks like a lot of fun. It'll be a few years before we can see how the headlessness of the franchise now plays out. 

• Love 2

I was born in the early 80s. By the time I saw the Star Wars trilogy, I was in middle school so I already knew Luke and Leia were twins, Vader was their father, etc. It was enjoyable but it wasn't really suspenseful. Even though I wasn't spoiled for the Prequels, I still didn't feel like I was completely spoiler free- we know Anakin turns into Vader, Obiwan lives till he confronts Vader many years later, and Padme dies. The details were missing, but I still knew the big picture outcome.

This is the first Star Wars movie where I have no idea what's going to happen or who most of these characters are, and I'm really excited to have that experience! I'm staying spoiler free. I should probably stop lurking in this thread so often, but I do love the speculation and discussion here.

• Love 5

New TV spot focusing on Finn and all I have to say it looks TIGHT:

Wow, Finn looks pretty good wielding

Luke's

lightsaber. I mostly don't want him to turn out of be a secret Jedi but seeing him swinging that saber makes me waver my stance a bit. Also, does he say "hell no" or "I don't know" in response to Han's question? If it's 'hell no' that seems out of place in the SW universe.

Edited by bunnyblue

Uncle Owen: "Well, he'd better have those units in the South Ridge repaired by midday, or there'll be hell to pay."

Han(going off to find Luke in a snowstorm): "Then I'll see you in hell!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Got my ticket for Saturday the 19th.  It's 3-D, unfortunately, which I usually don't care for, but it fit my schedule better.

You could always get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/View2D-Glasses-Movies-RealD-Bundle/dp/B0051IL8SE

Yeah, it seems silly to pay money for glasses to use higher priced 3D ticket when you can just get a 2D ticket... but it could be handy for those who would rather not see 3D but are going with friends or some other reason. I've thought about since it appears there isn't going to be a 2D IMAX presentation... so all the IMAX footage shot for the film will only be available in post converted 3D, which seems like a huge waste.  It would require different glasses for Real3D or IMAX 3D presentations.

More TV spots. TV Spots #10 & #13 are really just footage we've seen before in a new order.

But spot #12 is a bit different, with a bit more of BB8 in it--at least two unique shots of BB8 we haven't seen before I reckon.

Edited by Kromm

That annoying guy Disney Channel sent to the set (who we've seen in other clips) in an interview with Daisy. Again (in the clips packaged with it) we do once more see a tiny bit more of BB8 again.

And... annoying Disney Guy with John... the one new bit of info I got from this one is confirmation that the figure in goggles from the opening of the trailer definitely IS Rey (there's a candid on-set shot hidden away in this of her fooling around on set dressed up in the whole outfit complete, but you can tell it's her--whereas when the trailer came out despite it looking like some of her, with the same arm wrappings and such, there was at least a smidgen of doubt). Actually even the still shot from the PREVIOUS spot (scroll up) answered this too, since that still also shows her in the full outfit (but with the goggles off).

Edited by Kromm

Bumping it up with a couple of excerpts about/from the Force Awakens D23 Expo:

First is an interview with some of the stars of the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uruVZxy11FQ

Next is a clip from the conference, featuring director J.J. Abrams &  some of the stars, including Harrison Ford:

http://10starmovie.me/watch-star-wars-the-force-awakens-2015-online.html

Last night watched the trailer of this movie and read users review and i'm very excited to watch the movie.

Edited by beetnemesis

With all the clips and footage being show, I feel like I've seen the movie already.

That's a false impression being created, I think. It's the same footage recycled. At most we get a few new frames per new commercial. All told I doubt we've seen 5 minutes of the film (and that's probably being generous).
  • Love 1

Whoa, JJ Abrams on Fallon revealed that besides John Williams he got Lin-Manuel Miranda, creator and star of the smash Broadway musical HAMILTON to do music for what's basically the new cantina-type scene. Williams told Abrams he would rather do the score but for the incidental alien music he should get someone else.

That's a false impression being created, I think. It's the same footage recycled. At most we get a few new frames per new commercial. All told I doubt we've seen 5 minutes of the film (and that's probably being generous).

Whether that's true or not, I feel like I am seeing big chunks of the film and that really doesn't make me want to pluck down my hard earned cash to see the film (that and the fact that I find the trailers/footage lacking).

I'm already shipping Rey and Finn. Yes, I'm aware that I haven't seen them have a whole scene together yet. Yes, I'm aware of how premature shipping worked out for people who shipped Luke/Leia after Episode IV. Yes, I'm aware that they could be related. Yes, I'm aware that JJ Abrams has said that their last names are secret "for a reason." Yes, I'm aware that the casting people have been

doing chemistry tests with John Boyega and a number of young actresses up for a big part in Episode VIII.

Don't care. I ship it. Haters to the left, etc. etc.

• Love 5

Whether that's true or not, I feel like I am seeing big chunks of the film and that really doesn't make me want to pluck down my hard earned cash to see the film (that and the fact that I find the trailers/footage lacking).

All I've watched is the trailers, specifically because I don't want to know much going in. I'm happy to ignore all the extra footage and behind the scenes stuff that's been released. I'm happy to avoid frame by frame breakdowns of it all. This movie is a huge mystery to me still, and I'm really enjoying that feeling.

So who else thinks/hopes that Rey/Finn will be the romantic couple of this trilogy? John and Daisy have amazing chemistry from the clips and behind the scenes stuff I'm seeing and since they're not likely to be long-lost twins (LOL), I feel like we have permission to ship Rey and Finn?

I kind of hope so, but given that they already know it's a trilogy, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a long time coming. Cinema has changed since 1977, so they may feel pressured to amp up the romance and the drama from the off, but I hope not. Let them just be friends in the first movie, and start discovering it's more than that in the second and third. It worked pretty well for Han and Leia.

• Love 2

I kind of hope so, but given that they already know it's a trilogy, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a long time coming. Cinema has changed since 1977, so they may feel pressured to amp up the romance and the drama from the off, but I hope not. Let them just be friends in the first movie, and start discovering it's more than that in the second and third. It worked pretty well for Han and Leia.

I'm all about the slow burn, but I'd rather they do the "sweet, emotionally-charged friendship that turns into something deeper" than the "they bicker to conceal their sexual tension." I hate the latter trope so, so, so much. The only reason it worked with Han and Leia was the chemistry between the actors. Sweet people being sweet to each other for the win!

Rey and Finn holding hands in that one shot from the trailer was a promising beginning. We'll see how things stand at the end of Episode VII.

• Love 2

I am completely here for the "sweet, emotionally-charged friendship that turns into something deeper". If Rey ends up being a Skywalker (and the odds are about 99.999% that she will be)

Do you count Leia's (likely) kid as a Skywalker (rather than as a Solo or even an Organa)? I mean biologically she'd be as much Skywalker as Solo (and Organa wasn't REALLY Leia's "born" last name), but assuming Rey doesn't simply have a fictional last name to help her hide, then the last name "Solo" is probably what's been hung on her.

Clearly this could be a big fakeout and she could be Luke's kid instead, but it really does seem to signify that she looks so much like Carrie Fisher (although I suppose it could also be pointed out that they cast so that she looks a bit like Natalie Portman too, since all three woman are vaguely in the same ballpark appearancewise). 

I don

Oh yeah, that's what I meant... Anakin Skywalker's grandchild from either of his and Padmé's twins - be it Luke or Leia. I've seen someone comment that Daisy Ridley looks very much like Keira Knightley, especially when they smile and since then I haven't been able to un-see it. And since Keira and Natalie have this strong resemblance... I don't think it's a coincidence at all that she resembles all these women strongly.

But she could still have a strong resemblance to Leia as her father's sister, too. 

So the current protagonist looks like the DECOY?  Why would someone take special note of that? Really it's just the same thing as saying she looks like Padme, isn't it (although outside of the Queen makeup, do Portman and Knightley really look THAT alike other than broad strokes?--for one thing they're like 5 inches different in height)

Keira Knightley and Natalie Portman looked more alike when they were younger. Plastic surgery and age have changed their appearances a fair bit (although there's still a height difference, obviously). Daisy Ridley looks a lot like a young Keira Knightley pre-lip injections circa Bend It Like Beckham when she smiles, though.

Edited by Eyes High

Keira Knightley and Natalie Portman looked more alike when they were younger. Plastic surgery and age have changed their appearances a fair bit (although there's still a height difference, obviously). Daisy Ridley looks a lot like a young Keira Knightley pre-lip injections circa Bend It Like Beckham when she smiles, though.

I can well believe it of Knightly, but I doubt Portman has had plastic surgery outside of the cliche of the young jewish girl getting an early nose job (the bridge of her nose seems a little narrower now than her earliest films). 

Look. She's 34 and actually has age lines around her eyes (as she should). 

E1jWFUT.jpg

• Love 1

Jimmy Fallon was, as always, an annoying twit, but this is worth a watch just for Daisy Ridley.

Actually it really looked like he was TRYING to let her win through most of it but I think just gave up and.. won.

And here's her actual interview with him. He's one of the world's worst interviewers but she's gotten good enough at this through recent practice it's still interesting.

Edited by Kromm
I can well believe it of Knightly, but I doubt Portman has had plastic surgery outside of the cliche of the young jewish girl getting an early nose job (the bridge of her nose seems a little narrower now than her earliest films).

Look. She's 34 and actually has age lines around her eyes (as she should).

I meant beyond the nose job, which is obvious. Her face looks different. Sharper. Waxy. I don't think it's just age or weight loss. Mileage may vary on this one, of course. Keira Knightley has definitely had more done, though, don't get me wrong.

Her face looks different. Sharper. Waxy.

That's just how thin people's faces age, when I dropped a bunch of weight I lost it in my face first and looked sharper/waxy. It's why Courtney Cox talked about how actresses had to decide if they wanted a good ass or a good face, 

I have seen this commercial twice.  What product has Disney allowed part of the movie (Chewie and the new robot) to use in their commercial?

How low can Disney go?  I think we are about to see.

Although the commercial is better than the 1978?  Star Wars Christmas special.  I was around for that.  Even the Brady Bunch had a variety show.  We watched just about anything when I was growing up.

Edited by Macbeth