Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Just now, SnoGirl said:

In between places! I love it! And if you think about it, Rey's been stuck in the between. Not moving backwards or forwards, just stuck until her family comes and rescues her from Jakku.

Well, until she rescued herself.

Limbo, she is in Limbo. 

Right now I am picturing  worlds with Irish accents, German accents, etc...

• Love 1
1 minute ago, TVSpectator said:

Limbo, she is in Limbo. 

Right now I am picturing  worlds with Irish accents, German accents, etc...

I love a good Star Wars chat! I always wished there were more different accents and alien main characters in Star Wars. This movie helped diversify, but I'm hoping the next couple have more. You would think in out massive galaxy, we'd hear more. Especially since we have characters like C3PO who are programed to understand other languages.

Just now, SnoGirl said:

I love a good Star Wars chat! I always wished there were more different accents and alien main characters in Star Wars. This movie helped diversify, but I'm hoping the next couple have more. You would think in out massive galaxy, we'd hear more. Especially since we have characters like C3PO who are programed to understand other languages.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see what they will do with the accents and hope it will not boil down to stereotypes (cough, Jar Jar, cough). 

Here is a massive Star Wars brain teaser that is totally off the topic:

If Little Anakin built C3P0, for his slave mother, then why program him to speak many languages in the first place?

1 hour ago, TVSpectator said:

Yeah, it would be interesting to see what they will do with the accents and hope it will not boil down to stereotypes (cough, Jar Jar, cough). 

Here is a massive Star Wars brain teaser that is totally off the topic:

If Little Anakin built C3P0, for his slave mother, then why program him to speak many languages in the first place?

I assume that Anakin built 3PO in much the same way that I could build a computer. IE, it's actually pretty easy to get a Processor, motherboard, RAM, GPU, Hard drive, and case and put them together and then install Windows. I wouldn't have the first idea of how to build my own processor or write my own Operating System though.

Anakin probably found protocol droid parts in a junk pile and put them together, replacing the ones that were missing or didn't work as he went.

2 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I assume that Anakin built 3PO in much the same way that I could build a computer. IE, it's actually pretty easy to get a Processor, motherboard, RAM, GPU, Hard drive, and case and put them together and then install Windows. I wouldn't have the first idea of how to build my own processor or write my own Operating System though.

Anakin probably found protocol droid parts in a junk pile and put them together, replacing the ones that were missing or didn't work as he went.

Yes, that's his backstory in both Legends and canon.

Now, accents. The fanon I remember is that the English accent is used for more formal situations, like the ones encountered by Leia and Amidala. However, they lapse into their native American in everyday situations.

Finally, the galaxy is divided into several rings. The core worlds are close to the centre, and often more important. Couruscant and Alderaan are among these. The outer rim is at the galaxy's outer edge, you have worlds like Tatooine and Geonosis. Generally regarded as backwaters. Naboo was at the outer edge of the mid-rim, right next to outer rim. There are several other rings in between, all with planets of varying importance. Also, the deep core and a couple of other misc areas. More info here, if you're interested. Me, I love fictional geography/astrography. I knew most of this without looking, though I looked to be sure. I always thought Naboo was in the outer rim.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:55 PM, SnoGirl said:

I always wished there were more different accents and alien main characters in Star Wars.

I was pretty annoyed by the lack of significant alien characters in the Star Wars movies. I don't necessarily expect the leads to be alien, but what was stopping them, say, from making Poe an alien? The Star Wars extended and canon universe has a wealth of interesting alien races to draw on. Not to mention, some of the most popular SW characters outside of the movies have been aliens (Hera from Rebels, Thrawn from the books). It's not like Disney doesn't have the money to spend on the make-up, costumes, and special effects to make it happen.

• Love 1
On 9/12/2016 at 0:51 PM, Kromm said:

Boyega was good too, but the problem with his role is that it seemed like an awkward insertion--his character was actually something that doesn't really parallel anything in the original, but because so much else in the film was stuck in that mode, it wound up feeling like his role was just to give Rey someone to play her scenes off of. I mean the idea that the Stormtroopers under those helmets had lives and identities is a good one, but also a wasted one if it isn't central to why things are happening in the movie. The Imperials by and large were faceless (and mostly voiceless) in the originals for good reason. They were standins for Nazis (even the name "Stormtrooper" was all about that). If you dig into that an explore it, then it can't simply be a side-story which just supplies character moments. It's got to feed into the main plot too, and I don't think it did.

I agree and I think that's an excellent point.  Finn's story was so rushed that you probably could have dropped it from the movie.  But a lot of the movie felt rushed, such as just-add-water-and-stir Rey as insta-Jedi or the destruction of the StarKiller Base.

For that matter, given the relative ease with which the StarKiller Base was destroyed  -- as compared to the Death Star in Star Wars -- I'm not even sure why they need Luke, other than they're getting the band back together.  Perhaps he'll help Rey acquire the self-discipline she'll need to stop herself from laughing to death the next time she faces Darth Mope.

• Love 1

I made this point in the Rogue One thread comparing the two films, but I think J.J. Abrams pretty much had the same role with the new Star Wars trilogy that he had with Lost, and The Force Awakens served the same function as the pilot of that show. Introduce the characters and set them up, then turn it over to someone else to take the characters on their journey. This for me makes it a somewhat uninteresting rewatch, something that could change as the new films come out.

It will be interesting to see how much of the story that Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow are finishing has been mapped out and if there were any clues dropped in TFA. I'd imagine some things like Snoke's identity and Rey's parentage are at least roughly mapped out, but it sounds like the bulk of the rest of the story is Rian Johnson's work.