Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: By Any Means

(edited)

I am really enjoying this season so far. OMG, Palmer really is a sociopath. I swear, he was channeling Donald Trump in that speech. Talk about television unintentionally imitating life. I look forward to Abraham taking off Palmer's head.

I love Abraham. He is such a tough old man. He really has gone through hell pursuing the Master and Eichhorst. I love Fet's devotion to Abraham. He is his natural successor. Fet and Dutch are sweet.

Poor Nora and Eph. What they are doing is so horrible, but at least they got informed consent at the beginning. The poor couple. I actually think that they were very courageous agreeing to be part of the experiment. It was heartbreaking when the husband asked to be moved next to his wife.

The writers have clearly forgotten that all communication was down in NY last season. They have gone from no television to regular press conferences. The city is insanely normal. Where are the police patrols and the National Guard? Where are all the public health officials? It is so wacky.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11
(edited)

Not to excuse the writers, but surely if a small group of hackers broke the internet in NYC, a larger group of professionals could restore it... No? But then, why hasn't it been mentioned. I recall nothing of television (cable and satellite) or radio being down. *shrug*

Edited by PrincessEnnui

Long time no see Nigel Bennett, he played La Croix on Forever Knight.

Yes, it was good to see LaCroix. The actor has aged very well. I loved Forever Knight before they dumped Janette.

• Love 4
(edited)

Not to excuse the writers, but surely if a small group of hackers broke the internet in NYC, a larger group of professionals could restore it... No? But then, why hasn't it been mentioned. I recall nothing of television (cable and satellite) or radio being down. *shrug*

I missed chunks of the latter of last season so I got the communication situation wrong.

Also, I don't get how the CDC is representing the federal government in NY. Where is the Surgeon General, the head of the Homeland Security, and the FBI? This is the problem of trying to show the government in action in an apocalyptic scenario. It would have been better to focus on the Abraham's group and this would have given more airtime to the interesting Augustin and Quinlan team.

Edited by SimoneS

I am in the same boat. But I assume the comm blackout is only in NYC (and the nearby areas) and I am really not sure if television or radio was affected. The show is inconsistent in regard to whether NYC is martial and evacuating or not. [/not sure what's going on with comm at the moment]

• Love 2

Why hello Fet's ass! Nice to see you!

Zack2.0 seems like a Disney Channel Acting Academy graduate. Actually, let me be fair -- it's probably poor direction and not the kid's fault, but damn, that was bad.

• Love 11

I am now firmly of the opinion that Zach1 was better than Zach2. Oh, Zach1 wasn't good.But at least he was boring enough that if you weren't carefully watching him, you could just shrug, say "Well, I didn't tune in for divorce drama anyway; I tuned in for monsters," and go microwave a burrito without particularly noticing him. Zach2 is like if Season 2 Carl, at his absolute worst, decided he wasn't quite annoying enough yet... and hired Dawn Summers to give him tantrum lessons.

• Love 11
(edited)

I am giving Fet's ass an 8.5 out of 10 because it was firm and was accompanied by a nice body.

I liked how Abraham told Palmer that God did answer and the answer was "no." Palmer's shocked reaction to Abraham wounding the Master was telling. It apparently never occurred to Palmer that the Master was vulnerable and could be killed.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
(edited)

I cannot stand new Zach. He's just obnoxious and vaguely evil looking. I want to feel for him but I'm just hoping he gets turned. Kelly, this way, he's over here!

I'm finding Fet and Dutch more appealing than I would have thought last season. And it's nice to have the guy (especially when it's Kevin Durand) be the one to show a little skin for once.

That poor couple.

Count me in on wanting to see Abraham take out Palmer. And love the actor playing young and middle age Abe.

And the councilwoman needs to be a regular. She was awesome.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 8

I can't believe how normal everyone is acting. People are just going about their daily routines, for the most part. I know New Yorkers tend to be an unflappable bunch, but this is just too much. 

Fet and Dutch's swim was sweet. Very cute. Hello, Kevin Durand's backside, nice to make your acquaintance. But I would not expose my assorted orifices to a body of water in the middle of a vampire nest. What if there were worms in there? Ye gods!

Zack is the worst. I hope Kelly's new vampire crab children find him and take him far away from the show.

• Love 3
(edited)

Everytime Eph takes a swig, this loops in my head....

Pour Up, DRANK!

Head shot, DRANK!

Sit Down, DRANK!

Stand Up, DRANK!

Pass out, DRANK!

Wake up, DRANK!

Faded, DRANK!

Faded, DRANK!

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba

I can't believe how normal everyone is acting. People are just going about their daily routines, for the most part. I know New Yorkers tend to be an unflappable bunch, but this is just too much. 

Fet and Dutch's swim was sweet. Very cute. Hello, Kevin Durand's backside, nice to make your acquaintance. But I would not expose my assorted orifices to a body of water in the middle of a vampire nest. What if there were worms in there? Ye gods!

Zack is the worst. I hope Kelly's new vampire crab children find him and take him far away from the show.

Amen to your entire post. Look how the authorities locked down Boston during the search for the bombers—if they knew there were monsters attacking people with tongue tentacles at night, Manhattan would have been evacuated by day and the armed forces would be combing the city. As for the vampire nest skinny dip, yes, I was torn between watching Durand's butt, thinking Hell would freeze over before I'd take my clothes off in a place squirming with dozens of dead vampires, and wondering who turned on the steamy hot tub feature for that swimming pool after it was closed to the public and the building was abandoned. And I'm hoping Zack gets turned so the actor can enjoy a couple of episodes doing a silent crab walk in tons of prosthetics and contacts as punishment for the horrible acting he's inflicted on viewers.

• Love 2
(edited)

Why can't Ephraim just explain things to his son?  He knows his son is a little asshole who will throw temper tantrums that will endanger everyone, so just explain.  Tell him, "Look, little asshole, I'm not a god, I can't create a cure that will dramatically alter the human body, at least not in the time we have.  We just don't have the knowledge or the tech to do this.  First we need to give ourselves some time and stop the spread of the infection.  That's what you want, right, for other people to not get sick?  Right?  Little Asshole."  

Most of Zach's problems  seems to be that no one tells him anything.  If Dutch would have just first told him that soda would be warm, Zach would have been cool.

I was glad to see Nora's hair tied back.  Too bad Dutch's was flying loose while vamp worms were flying everywhere.  If you're going to be blowing up vamps, take precautions, especially with your hair.  

I continue to be amazed that NYC is still mostly acting like business as usual.  There should be more than a handful of people freaking out, even if Palmer has paid off many high ranking officials.  It's absurd.

So that man in the wheelchair that met with young Abraham, that was Palmer, right?  I didn't catch the name so I was confused until Abe went to speak with Palmer at the warehouse.  

Finally, that crab walk seems terribly inefficient.  Kelly needs to teach her vampies to walk.  

Edited by Human
  • Love 5
(edited)

MrsRafealBarba: Hee!

Re Zach being a snot and possibly lead his mother to undermine them by merely existing: Kids really do ruin everything (kidding, sort of).

I missed a Fet nekkid buttshot? Crap.

I love the virus solution they are working on though. Nerds unite!

Edited by Monty9
  • Love 2

So that man in the wheelchair that met with young Abraham, that was Palmer, right?  I didn't catch the name so I was confused until Abe went to speak with Palmer at the warehouse.  

Yes, that was Palmer in the flashbacks.

I missed a Fet nekkid buttshot? Crap.

I love the virus solution they are working on though. Nerds unite!

1. Thankfully no crap was involved.

2. I do wish they had Cosima, Scott, and Delphine helping them.

She's in next week's episode and looks to be a major figure on the show (unless they kill her off; I have no idea what's in store for that character).

I was so disappointed we didn't see more of her. That was a hell of an exit! Hands down, the best minute of the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

That video is GOLD. The disgust at the churro is particularly hilarious.

I was also thinking there was NO WAY ON EARTH I'd be climbing into a possibly worm-infested pool and exposing my nether regions to their infection. NO. EW.

Then Fet started into the water, and I got distracted.

The councilwoman was the best. It's about time someone with some power actually said something that makes sense for once.

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 3
(edited)

Eph should stay drunk.  He's tolerable, and his hair isn't trying to crawl away from him. 

Eph's idiot kid was better in S1.  The kid saw how dangerous the vamps were in the S1 finale.  It's not the time to be an insufferable little ass when the world is going to hell.  Bring it, Kelly,  Take your little snot back to your nest.  Nobody's going to take a moment to shed a tear.

Staten Island Councilwoman is there to kick ass.  I hope that she survives the vampire apocalypse. 

I didn't realize that Nigel Bennet was Dremerhaven.  I want the flashback where Abraham dispatches his head into the North Sea. 

Yes, it was good to see LaCroix. The actor has aged very well. I loved Forever Knight before they dumped Janette.

He really has aged very well.  He was so good in Forever Knight, esp. the series finale twist.  I love the chemistry he had with Janette.

I love how knowledgeable Abraham is about the vamps.  And he's prepared.  He had tons of weapons in that storage facility. 

The best relationship in this show is between Abraham and Fet.  I loved when Abraham walked away from Palmer at the food dipository.  He's badass and would have been prepared for whatever Palmer did.  Yet Fet made sure that Abraham didn't get hurt and intervened between them. 

Love Fet, the best character on this show.  What's the fun in opening the door when you can break the glass?  Awww. he was really modest around Dutch (I can't with that name.).  I wish that the show would hold off on any romance, which is distracting.  I am more interested in seeing how everybody struggles to survive.

In The Walking Dead, Daryl et al. went to get baby formula at a daycare.  If baby walkers atttacked them, it would have been ridiculous.  Yep, the baby vamps here look ridiculous. 

I wonder why it was necessary to use baby vamps.  Kelly could have used blind adults who have been turned.  Did she kill one of the baby vamps by twisting its neck?  I thought the head had to be separated from its body.

ETA: Eichhorst's video = luv! 

Can't hate on him.  His mean guests leave disgusting churros and draw cat/penises in his guestbook.  Now, I want him to win.

Edited by spaulding
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think they used blind children instead of blind adults because if you want to find a large number of blind people in one easy-to-control place, a school for blind kids controlled by Stoneheart Industries seems like the obvious place to go shopping. Plus, maybe there'll be a scene later on where some tall man in a hat and overcoat turns out to be three lil vamps in disguise. Maybe they could open the coat up like a flasher and have three giant tentacles shoot out.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

Zack 2.0 has only one expression, a scowl. Abraham is still my favorite, young, middle aged, or old. I always love background stories. Fet was awesome in the warehouse. Creepy blind minions... not going to end well.

• Love 3
Fet was awesome in the warehouse.

I kept watching for something labeled 'Kirkland Signature' along the aisles of that warehouse.

I still don't get how the city was falling apart so much at the end of last season, but now it's only a minor inconvenience.  Nobody seems to encounter any problems getting around from Manhattan to Brooklyn and back.  There was a news report on the TV about a couple in trouble -- that was news when vamps are running in packs in the streets.

And the councilwoman posed a good question -- where are all the National Guardsmen ?  They should be on every street major corner.

I have a very tangentially relevant Nigel Bennett story. Years ago, we were both guests at a convention. (I'm a writer. I think he was there was a writer more than an actor because he'd co-written a vampire book or something like that.) The convention had taken a few of us to a fancy restaurant, him included, and afterwards my friends couldn't find me. They asked him if he'd seen me and he said he'd eaten me for dinner. "She tasted like chicken," I'm told he said. I swear we only shook hands. So there you go. In some alternate timeline, Dremerhaven worm-vamped me.

• Love 6

I somehow missed Fet's butt, but I thought the same thing about the water. 

I also really don't like the kid. I'm usually easier on them because they are children, but it's like they read everything about him being annoying last year, and amplified it, like we're supposed to loathe him.

This is AWESOME!

He reminded me a bit of Michel, in the Gilmore Girls. :)

Christ, Zach 2.0. needs to go.  He is such a little shit.  Even if I want to agree with him (I do think Eph should just tell him what the hell is going on), the actor delivers his lines in a way that is so annoying, that instead I was laughing when Eph was all "Don't got time for your shit, kid!"  Really, Eph came off almost like he wasn't a son, but just some kind of stranger they picked up on the street, and he hated him.  Maybe Corey Stoll dislikes the recast too and isn't very good at hiding it...

I'm usually not wild about flashbacks, but seeing Abe meet Palmer for the first time and he got the cane was cool, and the actors playing their younger selves, were well-cast.

Vasiliy and Dutch bond over killing vamps and skinny-dipping.  That was a bit risky: not only about the possibility of worms in the water (if that's even possible), but if any vamps did rush in (the door was open after-all), they would have to take them on naked, which would be a dangerous endeavor.

Abe confronting Palmer and then him and Vasiliy fucking over his big moment, was awesome.  Abe/Vasiliy continue to be one of the best pairings on this show.

Eph and Nora certainly had a tough road in this one, but I'm glad they are sucking it up and going through with it.  It sucks for the older couple, but the human race does need this.  And they do seem to be getting somewhere.  Really, Eph needs to drink more often, because that seems to be making much more competent (and tolerable.)

Eichorst is still delightfully evil in his few scenes.

So, these new zombie children of Kelly's are here to try and hunt down Zach.  At this rate, I would cheer if Eph just lets them have Zach.

Councilwoman was awesome.  Certainly a better gig for Samantha Mathis, compared to the last thing I saw her in (which was none other then Under the Dome.)

• Love 5

Like others, I'm confused to the state of the city.  I'm assuming the city is under quarantine.  If so, then I would expect the place to look like a disaster zone.  The normal humans would've torn that place apart if they couldn't leave and no evidence that the federal government was doing anything to help them.  The promos for the show did a better job of showing how bleak the city would be under these circumstance than the actual show.

But I would not expose my assorted orifices to a body of water in the middle of a vampire nest. What if there were worms in there? Ye gods!

Thank you!  That had to be one of the stupidest things anyone has done on this show.

Zack is a mixture of bad acting and whiny personality.  Not much to like there.  

I do find Kelly's new brood to be creepy yet endearing.  Any particular reason she killed one of them?

Interesting observation regarding Palmer.  Is it me or does he have some sort of fetish for black manservants?  

Why did Kelly kill the one vampire child? What was that all about? I was surprised the rock star vamp could still talk. And I agree with everyone else on why is the city acting like nothing has happened. Last season everyone seemed headed for the hills and everything was going to ruin...and speaking of this, why are the lights still on in abandoned buildings? Who is paying for the electricity?

(edited)

It wasnt explained, but I think Kelly with her newly enhanced powers could evaluate each child and whether they would be good trackers. That one apparently failed Kelly's test.

Edited by lulee
(edited)

I thought Dutch was supposed to be a lesbian? (But I guess hot TV lesbians are always bisexual?)

I'm finding the "blind from birth makes you an inhuman bloodhound when turned" thing to be a really distasteful idea.

Do we really need another "kid thinks the monsters are people too" plot line? Walking Dead did that to death (pun intended) very recently.

The pathogen search was ridiculously sped up, but I'll accept it because it's TV and because Eph really needs to do something useful soon.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2
(edited)

Why did Kelly kill the one vampire child? What was that all about? 

She failed quality assurance, to be blunt. As Kelly bonds with the first child, her eyes glow red and the child's eyes glow red in return. The second one's eyes don't light up, she seems to not have fully formed eyes at all. So, whatever Kelly needs them for won't work with her, apparently. Why she has to kill her instead of just putting her back in the general vampire pool is probably due to the fact that killing her is a nice cheap shock 

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

She failed quality assurance, to be blunt. As Kelly bonds with the first child, her eyes glow red and the child's eyes glow red in return. The second one's eyes don't light up, she seems to not have fully formed eyes at all. So, whatever Kelly needs them for won't work with her, apparently. Why she has to kill her instead of just putting her back in the general vampire pool is probably due to the fact that killing her is a nice cheap shock

the Master and Eichorst do seem to have a notion of "worthiness." So thy might have rubbed that off on Kelly and so she eliminated a junior vamp she thought was underdeveloped and unworthy.

That reminds me. Didn't we hear about the Master wanting to regenerate or whatever toward the end of last season? And now it's mentioned again? What's the hold up?

• Love 1
That reminds me. Didn't we hear about the Master wanting to regenerate or whatever toward the end of last season? And now it's mentioned again? What's the hold up?

After Eichhorst's conversation with Bolivar, I think the Master is going to transfer into Bolivar's body.

• Love 2

I guess we're supposed to be in tingling suspense about who the candidates are?

I guess the leading candidates would be Rock Star guy, Palmer, or for some inexplicable reason, Eph?

My guess is based on who the Master seems to be treating differently than other folks, in terms of resources etc.

I suppose Setrakian could be in the running too, for the vengeance factor, but he's kind of old. Of course the giant guy wasn't super healthy either.

• Love 2

I'm ready for them to tie up that horrible kid and leave him outside with an "EAT ME" sign stuck on his back.  Let snaked tongue Mommy deal with the little shit.

I don't know why the replaced the kid they had last year, but if they hired this one because he aced the annoying test, then I guess they made the right decision.

• Love 3