Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Digestivo

So good. I did not expect Hannibal to turn himself in but he is always so contrary. Chiyoh is okay by me for saving Jack. She might have helped out more on the farm however. I agree she was some crazy deus machina but if there ever was a show that deserved such a character, this is the show.

I loved seeing Will clear eyed and confident. I have waited for that all season. So worth the wait.

Also worth the wait...seeing Mads rise up naked, ready to kill. In the books Hannibal is aware of pain but he goes into his memory palace to quell the pain. So he doesn't react but he does feel. And man Mads committed to being trussed up. That looked painful.

Red.Dragon is coming! Six glorious hours to explore that story. Woohoo!

• Love 7

Cordell was perfect - he filled so many roles for Mason. He was his nurse/companion, valet, confidante, a gourmet cook, anesthesiologist and a cosmetic surgeon. Also, insane.

Mason was so lucky to find this rare bird to help him fulfill his dream. RIP, you two crazy kids.

Ha, can you imagine the want ad Mason must have posted to land a catch like Cordell? "Wanted: discreet sidekick with medical knowledge (but not constrained by morals or the American Medical Association). Must also be a great cook. Willingness to do experimental surgeries and cook humans a plus."

• Love 10

Ha, can you imagine the want ad Mason must have posted to land a catch like Cordell? "Wanted: discreet sidekick with medical knowledge (but not constrained by morals or the American Medical Association). Must also be a great cook. Willingness to do experimental surgeries and cook humans a plus."

Every time Cordell started telling Hannibal about a food preparation he was planning, I thought, "Bitch, please. You are embarrassing yourself."

• Love 10

God, I love Scott Thompson. "Don't talk about my mother like that!" Hee. I'm also glad to see the participants of the post mortems can enjoy a cocktail whilst discussing pig babies.

• Love 4
(edited)

I absolutely love the gallery of Hannibal photos PTV chose to use as the recap for this episode.  That was wonderful!!  :-)

I think I finally broke the code on what has been bothering me this whole season (amongst other things, I think this is the underlying "current" -- like a river current) -- that flows through my unease -- I don't understand why Will keeps returning to Hannibal.  I get Jack, he's FBI and it's his job.  (Even that is not satisfactory but it seems to be enough for me.)

Hannibal, and his orbit, does such unbelievable, cartoonish, horror-show things to Will and he keeps coming back.  That's the first thing.

The second thing is more meta -- they've given Will practically no agency in his own life during this season.  He has little to no dialogue and the first time he takes action is in an episode that is so utterly nonsensical (where we meet Chiyoh in Lithuania) that his first aggressively overt act gets lost in the bullshit of gothic castles, hermits, and snails.

So, I get no explanation for his returning to Hannibal for cartoon violence.

It's like a blood-and-guts soaked BDSM story with no safe word. 

And, casting no aspersions to anyone's lifestyle because, really, I don't care -- I personally in my life find BDSM unappealing.  So, when Will keeps going back for (over three episodes), the saw, the train, the sniper's bullet, the "chained to a chair and a dolley", and et-bloody-cetera, I find it comical and cartoonish rather than dramatic.

Edited for punctuation.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 6
(edited)

Why oh why did they waited 6 episodes to get the plot full charge ahead? Those Italy episodes could have been truncated in half.

Bad writing? Fuller distracted with his new show? Even though I didn't particularly care for this last episode the last two episodes at least had a lot of plot development that held your interest! Anyone think this show could've been saved if they would've done this a lot sooner? Probably not but it's so frustrating! This is what people were looking for this whole season and they wasted the whole first part of the season with nothing!

Looking forward to the Red Dragon a lot and getting Jack and Will back in the FBI with Hannibal doing his craziness behind bars. I'm not too worried that Hannibal will be boring behind bars because we've only got six episodes left but I hope this season ends with a great finale since we're probably not getting more. I suspect maybe we'll see Hannibal escape.

I don't understand why Will keeps returning to Hannibal.

I get that he wants to capture him and he was his psychiatrist once whom he trusted but why did it become an obsession that took our real Will away and made him for about four crucial episodes act like a zombie doesn't make sense at all. Another lack of cohesiveness to this season.

Edited by kmm49
  • Love 1

Wonder if Bedelia will ever show up again.  And with the cancellation, we'll never get the back story on the guy that attacked her earlier in the season.  Crap.

She will be back and the story with her patient will be shown. 

• Love 2

So good. I did not expect Hannibal to turn himself in but he is always so contrary. Chiyoh is okay by me for saving Jack. She might have helped out more on the farm however. I agree she was some crazy deus machina but if there ever was a show that deserved such a character, this is the show.

I loved seeing Will clear eyed and confident. I have waited for that all season. So worth the wait.

Also worth the wait...seeing Mads rise up naked, ready to kill. In the books Hannibal is aware of pain but he goes into his memory palace to quell the pain. So he doesn't react but he does feel. And man Mads committed to being trussed up. That looked painful.

Red.Dragon is coming! Six glorious hours to explore that story. Woohoo!

Mads is quite the wonderful actor.  You KNOW he was uncomfortable at the very least while restrained, but it truly DID look painful.  Also I agree about the upcoming six glorious hours of Red Dragon! 

(edited)

Bad writing? Fuller distracted with his new show? Even though I didn't particularly care for this last episode the last two episodes at least had a lot of plot development that held your interest! Anyone think this show could've been saved if they would've done this a lot sooner? Probably not but it's so frustrating! This is what people were looking for this whole season and they wasted the whole first part of the season with nothing!

I'm probably one of the few viewers who love the way this season was planned. Those early episodes were pretty much perfect character studies. I loved the painful contrast between Hannibal the Funnibal and his opulent lifestyle in the premiere and the second episode in which his victims are trying to pick up the pieces. I loved how the always controlling Hannibal is inviting us in that first episode to watch a fairy tale because we can see cracks in that fairy tale very quickly: Hannibal's obsession with Will (which he, being a vile cannibal, takes for love) is what will take this control from him and give a painful end to that fairy tale. Having rewatched season 1 very recently, I find numerous intriguing parallels with the currently airing season and thus it irritates me when people repeat "bad writing" like a mantra. This is Fuller's design and he knows what he is doing all the time: the meticulousness of this design is almost scary. And no, the show wouldn't have been saved because even if the first three episodes had been action-packed, it wouldn't have increased the viewing numbers enough to consider season 4. "Hannibal" was an anomaly: a network show which should never been sold to a network.    

Edited by Finis Terre
  • Love 15

They showed Bedelia in a trailer. I concede the season has had a slow pace. So did season one. Will going back for more...He wanted to kill Hannibal. And it had to be up close. All of his fantasies about killing him in season two were personal. This is a man Hannibal tried to break down piece by piece. So if it takes four eps to get him clear eyed again, to get Alana clear eyed, then okay. There was payoff to the nuttiness.

Chiyoh never came together as a character. The actress is 30, so 10 years younger than Hugh and almost 20 to Mads. Maybe an older person would have had more weight. It does seem odd for Hannibal to have a sniper guardian angel. She is hunting for Misha. That's what she said. Maybe hunting for Hannibal' s humanity? Or the idea of Misha since she never met her? Had she known Misha this would have held together better. So a case of bad casting. Although I like the actress.

Mason opens the episode making a comment about salvation. Jack, Will, Alana, and Margot were saved. Not a bad day after all.

• Love 3

Chiyoh never came together as a character. The actress is 30, so 10 years younger than Hugh and almost 20 to Mads. Maybe an older person would have had more weight. It does seem odd for Hannibal to have a sniper guardian angel. She is hunting for Misha. That's what she said. Maybe hunting for Hannibal' s humanity? Or the idea of Misha since she never met her? Had she known Misha this would have held together better. So a case of bad casting. Although I like the actress.

I realize that Chiyoh does real things (shooting, kicking unstable men off trains), but to me Chiyoh is first and foremost part of Hannibal's mind palace and, by extension, part of his slightly delusional fairy tale. Delicious irony: even a fallen angel needs a guardian angel? Going by that logic, even Hannibal's psychiatrist needs a psychiatrist. If season 4 happens, after all, I'm reserving that spot for Angela Lansbury. 

• Love 4
Every time Cordell started telling Hannibal about a food preparation he was planning, I thought, "Bitch, please. You are embarrassing yourself."

I loved Hannibal's smirk every time Cordell spoke and tried to be all "Woooooo-oooooo, we're gonna cooooooook you!" It was the equivalent of a parent looking at their child's kindergarten handprint trace turkey--oh, honey, did you do that all by yourself?

• Love 13
(edited)

Well, damn!  Talk about a mid-season finale!  Of course this ends up being the episode that NBC decides to start it's Saturday evening burn-offs.  Lame, but at least we'll get them all eventually.

Totally figured this was going to be the end of Mason Verger, but talk about an awesomely, brutal way to go.  Alana and Margot drowning him in that pool (can't remember: is that regular water or full of those tears he always boasts about?), and then even the freaking eel decides to get in on the action, and shoves itself down his fucking throat!  No one was giving him any quarter!  And he went to his grave knowing that they stole his sperm, so Margot would be probably getting a heir and all of his money.  Ha!  Suck on that, asshole!  He was fun, but I'm glad his reign of terror has finally come to an end.

So, it was the corrupt Italian cops that busted in before Hannibal to cut open Will.  They took them and attended to kill Jack to make it look like Hannibal got him.  Thankfully for Jack, Chiyo saved him in order to find out where they had been taken.  Not sure how he got out of Italy (it sounded like Mason had plans to keep him stuck there for a bit), but I'm glad he's OK.

Hannibal and Will do get tortured a bit and poor Will almost has his face sliced off, but Hannibal saves him at the end.  And then? Will breaks up with him!  Ha, I don't care how silly it was, I loved it.  Will really was like "Sorry, Hannibal.  I can get past you being a cannibal, framing me for your murders, and I can even forgive you for stabbing me that one time.  No one is perfect!  But trying to slice my head open?  This isn't working for me, man.  We just aren't working!"  And, now Hannibal pretty much just let himself get captured so he can be close to Will.  Oh, Hannibal, you hopelessly romantic cannibal serial killer!

I will continue to sing the praise of Glen Fleshler as Cordell.  He really did leave a major impression with the screen time that he was given.  And all his food talk scenes with Hannibal slayed me.

I know I should really be wondering what will happened to Hannibal next, but honestly, the first questions that are popping into my head are 1) when is Will going to get his dogs back and 2) was Alana and Margot just a nice fling, or are they actually going to make a go at a relationship?

Next week: The Red Dragon is entering the building!  Oh, and Dr. Chilton's returning too!  But, yeah, as much as I love Chilton, I'm really curious to see what The Red Dragon will bring to the table.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 6

Before Alana and Margo killed him, they "milked" him. Verger Sperm! Now all they need is a uterus.

That's still not an heir. Sperm cannot inherit although...cue "Every Sperm is Sacred!" ;-)

• Love 2

That's still not an heir. Sperm cannot inherit although...cue "Every Sperm is Sacred!" ;-)

No but Sperm + egg (All Margo needs is a viable uterus) = baby and if baby is a male the male will inherit the kingdom. Margot being the last serviving Verger will of course raise her brothers child and the child's inheritance. The child is in essence her key to the kingdom.

• Love 1
(edited)

Suffering from indigestivo.  I HATED this epi.  First, I'm not a horror lover. Most horror bores me or just seems laughably ridiculous--and this epi went there. What happened to my beautiful, moving and intellectually demanding show?  The one thing that has always made this show a masterpiece is it that the horror and violence always had a point and were artfully done, and it had layers upon layers of symbolism and meaning, and it was Fuller's vision--not Thomas Harris's. "Hannibal" was a shitty book, and when the show tries to be faithful to it, we get crap. Phallic-eel swallowing and inseminating pigs--really? Cartoon characters where the formerly sympathetic and real Alana is now a cross between Jessica Rabbit and Cruella DeVille?  And apparently, somebody shot way too much b-roll of skin-suturing, since they use it in every goddamned episode now. "Hannibal" used to make sense within its own surreal universe, and its attention to detail was exquisite. Now, it feels like Fuller is equating being as gross and violent as possible with "cutting edge."  It feels like he's saying, "Hey, let's just get this over with so I can go work on 'American Gods'' (which he started developing in 2014).  

HOWEVER,  the last ten minutes brought me back.  We were privileged to see one of the greatest actors in the world doing what he does best. Mikkelsen managed to transform Hannibal from an unforgivable monster to a tragic hero, just with a look in his eyes. When Will said "I'll miss my dogs--I won't miss you" and they cut to Mads, I started to cry. Anthony Hopkins couldn't even accomplish what MM has. He goes from last week's unredeemable monster sawing Will's head open, to a lonely, broken creature we want to protect. Brilliant acting by Mads, and also by Hugh Dancy. I am relieved this whole Verger clusterfuck is over. Since we are getting into "Red Dragon" territory, which was a MUCH better book, I am hopeful the show it will go back to being its usual masterpiece self in the little time it has left. 

Edited by venezia54
  • Love 2

Aw, show.  I can't stay mad at you.  Finally you delivered the effed up story I was looking for.  Pig Babies, fellating eels, face biting, Mads branding, cattle prod harvesting,  Bromance break up... sigh.   i loved it.  (magically appearing sniper girl not withstanding.   Love the pea coat though. )

For the first time I am sad they cancelled this show. 

• Love 6
(edited)

FINALLY.  I really had hoped that getting gutted would have made Will break up with Hannibal --- and really, wouldn't that do it for most of us? -- but no.  He had to get thrown off a train to get a clue and even then, he let Hannibal get the better of him.  It was only when Mason mentioned he was going to CUT OFF HIS FACE that he thought, "Yeah, ok, that's enough.  This is an abusive relationship.  I'm done."

If you look up depravity in the dictionary, is reads "see: Muskrat Farms and anything going on there."

I haven't read the books (other than SotL) so I don't know how Will is when he's called back to the FBI for Dolarhyde in print -- but in both movies, he was reluctant due to trauma.  In both films, however, I thought they didn't make enough of why Will would be so resistant.  Now?  It makes complete sense.  In fact, it will be hard to imagine how Jack ever convinces him to go down that deranged psycho rabbit hole again.

And yes, BF: having Hannibal choose to be captured, just to have the chance to see Will again?  Brilliant.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh
  • Love 2

How cute was Will when he woke up in bed.

So glad the show is back in Baltimore. It seems things are finally starting to happen.

My belief is the early episodes suffered due to the switch from Abigail to Bedelia. So much urgency was lost because of that. I'd be interested to read the Abigail version of the script to see how much changed. I have a suspicion that some of Chiyoh's scenes were originally Abigail's.

What was the switch? Why did they switch?

For the science minded folks, what was the significance of Hannibal saying to Chiyoh that she is between Iron and Silver?

(edited)

What happened to my beautiful, moving and intellectually demanding show?

It definitely left the ball park this season especially the first four episodes. I'm okay with most of the plotholes and extreme horror movie elements but what doomed the first half of the season for me was the gullibility/stupidity of the FBI and Will. I mean come on...Mason's goons can capture Hannibal but Jack and Will couldn't. The writing made them look like fools. I believe Hannibal turned himself in because he knows Jack and Will are just too stupid to keep him caged. It's just another challenge for him to see how far he can continue to manipulate them before he manages a fairly easy escape.

HOWEVER,  the last ten minutes brought me back.

Totally agree! Every scene between Hannibal and Will's been extremely well done. The strongest part of the first half of the season. Their chemistry's amazing!

Chiyoh never came together as a character.

Very badly underwritten but then again Bedelia became a mess in the writing too. Her and Chiyoh were just there to support Hannibal. I think Fuller should just stick to writing male characters because he can't seem to flesh out any of the females on this show.

Edited by kmm49
  • Love 3
(edited)

kkm49  YES, to all of the above.  I wrote earlier why I think this season has so far been a failure for me.  

I feel like the show suddenly decided to throw a BDSM party, didn't include the safe word on the invitation, and never bothered asking me if I like BDSM.

What does one do when a super fun, challenging, and enjoyable party turns banal, bloody, and boring?  One leaves and curses that the invitation cost $25 for a seat at the table.  (Would have been more if I'd bought each season.  Fortunately, I came late and only bought this season.  Lucky for me, the really good seasons were already free.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

I think ultimately Bedelia was written rather well.  I love Anderson, but based on The Fall, if the material isn't there for her, she goes flat.  Her character did have a plan.  An awesome plan ultimately if she survived Hannibal.   Just like Alana did.  I'm not sure Alana had a good plan.  In some ways she was doing what Will did.  Getting close to the monster.  And I still don't know why Alana implied she motivated Will to hunt Hannibal to Jack (when she steps out onto the porch at Will's house).  Alana woke up in this ep too.  All of her backstory with Hannibal and their intense love scenes paid off when she stared him down and made a decision.  I also love that she added "please".  She knew exactly what button to push there.  She wasn't saving him, he was doing her a favor. 

And certain moments from earlier in the season are falling into place.  The gory scene of seeing Mason get a face transplant makes sense now.  We needed to know that in this world, it was possible to do that.  I closed my eyes (gore!), but now it makes sense.

I'm not surprised Mason beat the FBI.  He had unlimited resources.  The FBI had limited resources and some motivation just to let this case fade away.  One of their consultants is a cannibalistic serial killer?  Ouch.   Jack is "retired" or on leave.  Will is "retired" I suppose.  They don't have the full power of the FBI at their beck and call. 

I'm also not sure what "identically opposite" means.  Jack's comment to Chiyoh.    I know what Will meant by that he "tolerates" the violence, but doesn't have the appetite. 

But I sort of love that I'm not sure.  I don't need to be sure.  I am glad that some of the fever dream vibe died down in this ep.  They used  a new director for this ep and I think it showed in a good way.  Clean, clear action, mostly.  I feel cheated not seeing Hannibal take down Cordell, but I get how that wouldn't work time wise. 

• Love 2

Very badly underwritten but then again Bedelia became a mess in the writing too. Her and Chiyoh were just there to support Hannibal. I think Fuller should just stick to writing male characters because he can't seem to flesh out any of the females on this show.

I still think Chiyoh is a phantom from Hannibal's family past and thus deliberately not fleshed out in full. As to Bedelia, hers is the most consistent arc throughout the series. Knowledge is what drives her, because knowledge is power, while it is only in Florence that she gets to practice her manipulation skills in a "free range" environment. With Hannibal, it is the other way round. He thrives on manipulation and making people codependent ("I will help you because you asked me to"), but he doesn't seem to know people enough. Bedelia will probably never be as good at manipulation as Hannibal, but he still needs to learn to read people and will get to use his potential in "The Red Dragon" part of the series. Of course, episode 10 might change my assumptions completely. 

• Love 1

I kind of chuckled that Mason could have used all of Hannibal's body parts but he passed his face and chose Will's instead. Even for a serial killer, that had to hurt a little bit no?

• Love 5
(edited)

By the time the baby is conceived and born the inheritance will have already gone to the Southern Baptist Church.

Margot definitely would have known the wording in the will. So I'll fanwank that there was a loophole in the wording that Margot could exploit (e.g., maybe there was wiggle room with the timing -- I could see Mason thinking so highly of himself and *carrying on the Verger line* that if an heir had not been identifed by 1 or 2 years later - such as in the case that a former girlfriend came forth with a child, then it would go to the church.) and get the $$$.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

I kind of chuckled that Mason could have used all of Hannibal's body parts but he passed his face and chose Will's instead. Even for a serial killer, that had to hurt a little bit no?

Mason and Hannibal both knew he didn't have the underlying bone structure to make good use of those cheeks.

• Love 7

I doubt they'll report his death right away--get those eggs fertilized and implanted in a very compliant surrogate first! Once a male's conceived the money goes to that kid. 

• Love 3

Mason and Hannibal both knew he didn't have the underlying bone structure to make good use of those cheeks.

I actually thought Mason's reason for taking Will's face was far more sinister. He was taking Will's face so that it was *Will* eating all the Hannibal stew.

I scare myself sometimes.

• Love 4

I'm probably one of the few viewers who love the way this season was planned. Those early episodes were pretty much perfect character studies. I loved the painful contrast between Hannibal the Funnibal and his opulent lifestyle in the premiere and the second episode in which his victims are trying to pick up the pieces.

Finis Terre, I like your write up.  I feel like the first part of this season makes more sense if the episodes are continuous, and not broken down by season.  After the utter blood bath of the last season finale, character studies were warranted.  These episodes have resolved the emotional cliffhangers that were left over from that nightmare.  Will has come to terms with Abigail's death and his own role in her death and the injuries of Jack and Alana.  He has at last learned where his own boundaries are, and can bare to stand where he is and pick up his own life again.  Jack aided Bella on her way, and came to terms with her passing.  He realized he is still interested in fighting the good fight.  Alana was naive, used and broken, and she's remade herself into her own creature.  She isn't looking to anyone else for authority, for good or ill, and she's prepared to use what she knows to achieve her own ends.  This makes her more like Hannibal than she might like to admit.  Hannibal is Hannibal, still seeking, still hunting, still toying with his prey, but he has decided he wants to be known, whatever pretense he initially made to hide under a person suit or an alias.  It is something that matters to him, which is saying something given his disregard for so many things.  Mason is dead, Margot has plans, Bedelia bested the monster, and Chilton continues to seek validation.

If this series does/were to continue, this would be both a wrap up to the first half and a transition from Hannibal in hiding to Hannibal on display.  I do like the show better when it is a contemplative thriller rather than straight horror, but oh well.

Bring on Price and Zeller.  Imagine that, I even miss Freddie.

• Love 8
(edited)

I very much enjoyed the ending, seeing Will in his own home, asking about his dogs and in seeing Hannibal being arrested. I am also looking forward to the Red Dragon episodes. I very much doubt however, that WIll would be ok without extensive medical treatment. He was after all pushed from a train, shot, had his head sawed into and was physically abused by Mason's people and brought back to the US in some sort of animal hold with a bag over his head. 

I also guessed the surrogate would be a pig, but that entire part is so absurd it made me laugh. First off, I'm assuming the dead baby was supposed to be Margot and Will's (Mason said the heir was "much more you than me"}. Are we supposed to believe the fetus was removed from Margot, implanted into a pig and would continue to grow into a full term baby? And then Alana who is a doctor, would just randomly cut the full term baby out of the pig and make no  attempt to resuscitate it? The whole story is beyond crazy. And since the supposed baby was dead anyway, why did they need this absurdity?

Alanna no longer looks or acts like Alanna, and the fact that she even sat in a room with a bound and bleeding Will makes me hate her. I was also quite terrified that Will's face would be removed (Although they didn't show how quickly Hannibal was able to sneak in and kill Cordell). 

I don't believe anything about Chiyou and like others have mentioned, how would she have a passport, get her gun on the airplane, where does she eat and sleep, etc. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 4

I don't believe anything about Chiyou and like others have mentioned, how would she have a passport, get her gun on the airplane, where does she eat and sleep, etc.

She's like Jack Bauer. She doesn't need to sleep, eat, shower, or pee!

Technically you can check guns on international flights. There are still rules and regulations but it's legally possible.

• Love 6

Alana saying, "Buona sera" before she shot the guard was a nice little callback to the first episode when Hannibal greeted his victims with a "Bonsoir" in Paris.

So... is Hannibal's promise to Alana to save Will continuous? Will Hannibal always save Will or is this a one-time-use-only sort of thing? I'm just curious if Hannibal still has plans to eat Will.

I like how in that last scene in Will's house, Will is on the bed and Hannibal is sitting on a chair with a notebook on his lap. It's like the early days of their relationship in Hannibal's office. Was Hannibal trying to recreate the magic? Poor Hannibal. Will's break-up speech was definitive. Sawing open your objection of affection's head with the intent of eating his brain tends to be a deal-breaker.

• Love 5

I like how in that last scene in Will's house, Will is on the bed and Hannibal is sitting on a chair with a notebook on his lap. It's like the early days of their relationship in Hannibal's office. Was Hannibal trying to recreate the magic? Poor Hannibal. Will's break-up speech was definitive. Sawing open your objection of affection's head with the intent of eating his brain tends to be a deal-breaker.

When Will sat up I wondered if Hannibal was going to offer him some chicken soup.  Poor Hannibal...Will broke up with him for good and he still didn't get the message.  He let himself be caught just so Will would always know where he is.  He really loves his little Will (not that Will wants him to anymore).

• Love 3

HOWEVER,  the last ten minutes brought me back.  We were privileged to see one of the greatest actors in the world doing what he does best.

Sing it. Mads really brought it. I will miss him as this character when the show is over.

This latest episode made me hope that someone will pick up the series. I had been willing to let it go.

Random puzzlement: why was Will on a foldout bed? I thought we'd seen him in his own bed in earlier episodes.

Guess the writers knew a legion of dog-loving viewers would be wondering about the dogs and threw us a bone. Will: "I miss my dogs."

• Love 3
(edited)

Post Mortem interview with Bryan Fuller, as it is mostly about this episode and him answering questions about this episode like Will/Hannibal break-up, Chiyoh and her purpose in all this (her character continue to grate me even in interviews, she thinks way too highly of herself apparently), the pig surrogate mother etc. felt it best to post here. Also addresses questions regarding the tone of first half of the season, the reason for it, and how second half will be different (might be good news for those who have been complaining about it). His discussion on Will/Hannibal kind of give an idea on what is to come too, so if you would rather be completely spoiler free, might want to be skip it (I personally don't consider it spoilers, but some might).

Eta: hopefully link is fixed now. Thanks Captanne for bringing it over from the other thread.

Edited by DeadlyEuphoric

Post Mortem interview with Bryan Fuller, as it is mostly about this episode and him answering questions about this episode like Will/Hannibal break-up, Chiyoh and her purpose in all this (her character continue to grate me even in interviews, she thinks way too highly of herself apparently), the pig surrogate mother etc. felt it best to post here. Also addresses questions regarding the tone of first half of the season, the reason for it, and how second half will be different (might be good news for those who have been complaining about it). His discussion on Will/Hannibal kind of give an idea on what is to come too, so if you would rather be completely spoiler free, might want to be skip it (I personally don't consider it spoilers, but some might). 

Your link takes me to page 1 of this episode forum.

(edited)

This might be it:  http://www.tvguide.com/news/hannibal-postmortem-digestivo-bryan-fuller-season-3/

I got it from another thread here, http://forums.previously.tv/topic/28547-hannibal-wont-move-to-amazon-or-netflix/#entry1340930

One thing he says in the interview:

So much of the first arc was all about the grieving process and also the trauma of what these people had experienced. I didn't want to skip over what these characters were feeling, and that's why so much of the first part of the season was contemplative and brooding and surreal. Everyone was in shock.

I think that was an artistic mistake.  I agree with not wanting to skip over their feelings -- but he wasted so much time on blood droplets defying gravity and other what-the-fuckery that some viewers (ahem) despaired of the "Look, ma!  I went to film-school!" navel-gazing.

Some people's "complaining" is other's "critical reviews and opinions". 

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 4

I know I'm seriously annoyed that Will and Jack didn't get their moment as law enforcement officers in that they actually didn't catch Dr. Lecter because he simply turned himself in.  DAMN!!  I was kind of looking forward to a good old fashioned show down of good vs. evil but instead Hannibal walked out of the shadows and surrendered.

I did like that Dr. Lecter got Will away from Mason's evil clutches and that Margot--with an assist from Alana--was able to get her revenge on her psycho brother--good times :)

• Love 1

Hannibal looked like a proud papa during the dinner scene when Will bit Cordell's cheek. Hell he looked entertained throughout the night like he was talking about normal recipes instead of discussing how the guy was going to cook him.

I think he was just appreciative of being at a dinner party with people who share his tastes for once.

Hannibal strikes me as having no illusions about himself, and having eyes he's certainly able to see which of them is prettier.

I think the pig incubator thing is just so out in left field it doesn't even bother me, because one of my main qualms is convicted child molester Mason thinking his punitive will would hold up against legal challenges if he's not around anymore to bribe court officials. With him out of the picture, suddenly everyone has zero inducement to continue indulging his sadistic whims and overlook all the laws he's broken, and Margo is a lot more likely to grease people's palms in gratitude than the Southern Baptist Church would be.

• Love 4
(edited)
I know I'm seriously annoyed that Will and Jack didn't get their moment as law enforcement officers in that they actually didn't catch Dr. Lecter because he simply turned himself in.  DAMN!!  I was kind of looking forward to a good old fashioned show down of good vs. evil but instead Hannibal walked out of the shadows and surrendered.

Well, that's the devil for you--as he said of Mason to Margot, he will always deny you. It's his nature

ETA: Just read the interview and have to agree with Fuller on the rancid adorableness of the piggy mobile above the crib! I'd forgotten how shocked and delighted I was at that detail--it's stuff like that that makes me love this show.

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 4
It definitely left the ball park this season especially the first four episodes. I'm okay with most of the plotholes and extreme horror movie elements but what doomed the first half of the season for me was the gullibility/stupidity of the FBI and Will. I mean come on...Mason's goons can capture Hannibal but Jack and Will couldn't. The writing made them look like fools. I believe Hannibal turned himself in because he knows Jack and Will are just too stupid to keep him caged. It's just another challenge for him to see how far he can continue to manipulate them before he manages a fairly easy escape.

Actually that's pretty much cannon.  In the book Mason does catch Hannibal before the FBI, mainly because Mason had a lot of corrupt government types on his payroll.

• Love 5

No but Sperm + egg (All Margo needs is a viable uterus) = baby and if baby is a male the male will inherit the kingdom. Margot being the last serviving Verger will of course raise her brothers child and the child's inheritance. The child is in essence her key to the kingdom.

The last time I took Wills and Estates, A male can have a posthumous heir only if his wife is pregnant (the heir is in utero) at the time of his death. The offspring will inherit after he/she is born. So the only way Margo can get anything through a child is if they keep Mason's death a secret for the time being.

I think he was just appreciative of being at a dinner party with people who share his tastes for once.

Hannibal strikes me as having no illusions about himself, and having eyes he's certainly able to see which of them is prettier.

Ugh, I'd take Mads over Hugh any day of the year.

• Love 1

The last time I took Wills and Estates, A male can have a posthumous heir only if his wife is pregnant (the heir is in utero) at the time of his death. The offspring will inherit after he/she is born. So the only way Margo can get anything through a child is if they keep Mason's death a secret for the time being.

For us non-lawyers, is it possible to write a will to specifically go beyond that standard?