Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Isn't it Romantic?

• Start Topic

(edited)

OMG.  I was literally checking the site every 11 minutes to see if it was up.  I loved that there were two last week as well.  This podcast is everything.  I have gotten several people hooked on it.  Please keep up the good work.  I am binge watching the show on hulu (just started season 3) and there are so many gems that we have yet to reach.  The one that sticks out in my mind is the Halloween episode in season 2 where Kelly is nearly raped and Donna wears that ridiculous mermaid costume.  Tori spelling is SOOOOOO bad in that episode.

Edited by allicatexp
  • Love 1

Yes!!!! Every new podcast is like a present and since I can't seem to get iTunes to give it to me automatically, it's an extra treat when I hit the website.

And I still have a big ol' TV that has a remote even bigger than that one!

The whole series is on Hulu now? It's been paroled? Yay!

I have yet to listen to the podcast, but I can't wait. I'll be listening on my way to work this afternoon. I too was spoiled by the two-a-week uploads and have been waiting not-so-patiently for this one.

(edited)

The whole series is on Hulu now? It's been paroled? Yay!

Sort of.  They do omit certain episodes for what I believe are licensing issues.  Most of them are available.

Edited by allicatexp

After hearing the strains of "She's like the wind," you just know the show was all proud of their DD parallels. The dad who doesn't approve of the n'er-do-well boy sniffing around his virginal daughter and all. I somehow missed Brenda's reference to it earlier. They should have just gone whole hog with it and have her declare that she would not be put into a corner

• Love 1

Guys, this is serious: I just last week was going through some old photos and found one of myself wearing the exact same outfit as Brenda in that last clip - green button shirt and cut-off jean shorts. And I don't even have "trying to fit in in Beverly Hills" as an excuse - it was just something I put on to walk around the suburbs in 1991.

• Love 1
(edited)

Kelly, I love you, but "dating" is not a "plural." I'm pretty sure it's, like, a gerund.

ETA: I always forget that my avatar is, in fact, Jennie Garth when I make such comments. Obviously I love Kelly!

Edited by JocelynCavanaugh
  • Love 2

Wait a second? Someone younger? How old is Dylan supposed to be?

When I was a kid, I loved the whole Dylan and Brenda drama in this episode, but watching it now, I'm like "Stop yelling."

But it is kind of a perfect 90210 episode and sets up one of the major relationships that defines the series.

Jim, shut up. Given how thrilled you were when Brandon had sex down the hall from you, your freak out over Brenda is especially ridiculous.

Brandon, shut up. You are totally jealous that your cool friend is paying more attention to your sister and won't make out with you. Also, you just told him your sister was a virgin- which is absolutely none of your business and is really up to Brenda to tell him that. Bleat elsewhere.

Kelly is great in this episode.

• Love 3

When Jim said Brenda deserved someone better and the first thing out of her mouth was "Like who? Someone straighter?" I cracked up. I know she meant it in another sense but still. I will say this was a good episode for Dylan/Brenda and I liked Kelly's lines this episode. It's weird Jim chose to rant about Dylan's values all episode when he's Brandon's best friend and Brandon would have even more of an opportunity to learn about Dylan's dad. It's that thing where Brandon is flawless but Brenda can get drawn into the darkness as least favorite child and a female.

• Love 2

Wait a second? Someone younger? How old is Dylan supposed to be?

Someone over on the lamented TVWOP once commented on how funny it was that they constantly wrote Dylan like a 40 year old reformed bad boy looking back on his miss spent youth when he was 16! Plus I always got the impression that he had been on the straight and narrow for a bit when the show picked up so all this wild drunk surfing, French girl impregnating, older woman sleeping, mad bad and dangerous to knowness happened when he was 13/14/15. Dylan McKay, West Beverly Middle School's very own Dos Esques man.

• Love 5

Does Kellie eventually do anything? I've been watching some season 1 episodes (my first 90210 ever) and she seems largely inessential and colorless so far.

Oh, just wait. There's at least one near rape, a gunshot wound, a tragic fire, a cult, some mild drug addiction, cheating, and probably more I'm forgetting.

What exactly was the budget for wardrobe, that Brenda and Brandon keep sharing that green shirt? Of course, in high school I wore my friend's dad's Huxtable sweaters so...

• Love 1
(edited)

Does Kellie eventually do anything?

Summer of Love.  SUMMER OF LOVE!!! (beginning of season 3). I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you with a cheesy French accent.

Edited by vendredi3
  • Love 1

Brenda should have run the other way outside the Bel Age. I realize what they were going for, but it's kind of a bad message to send young female viewers; "who cares if a boy screams in your face, grabs you roughly and smashes planters, he's so dreamy!".

I could respect Jim's concerns for Brenda if the show had made any effort to avoid the tired old double standard of, "it's different with daughters". If the over protectiveness had been more equal regarding Brandon and Brenda, I would have liked it a lot better. And if you absolutely have to do the overprotective dad of a daughter, at least balance it out and have Cindy raise more of a stink about her son busting his nut down the hall.

This was the first episode when I started seeing some layers to Steve. Yeah, he started out the episode a bit of a lech, but at the end, there was a sweetness that made me go, "oh, he's not a one-dimensional douche canoe."

• Love 3

What is Jim worried about, that Dylan is going to commit securities fraud? I mean, Jack McKay is not exactly Tony Marchette. (Spoiler.)<br /><br />Brenda is the most likable and teenage girl-ish throughout this whole episode. She really seems to have actual teenage girl feelings and confusions. <br /><br />I'm not a crackpot, but enough with a love of old movies signifying depth? interestingness? erudition?

• Love 2
(edited)

The biggest laugh this episode gives me is still Dylan's "so, you like videotape?" line. Like Brenda just likes the machinery rather than the movies.

This. What? I mean, no one talked like this,ever. The line, "so, you like movies?" would have made sense..'you like videotape'..what..no one today goes around saying "so, you like dvds?" or..do they?

I love the Dylan yells at Brenda, throws a plant, Brenda gets scared and runs away and then Dylan then runs after her and hugs her from behind and.. they kiss.. what?

B plot of this episode.. all I can say is fail Tara and Sarah the MVP should have been Steves eyebrows, for their AWESOME eyebrow rise.

Edited by WhosThatGirl

My method for these podcasts is  that I see the post for the next episode, complete with title, then I watch the show and then listen to the podcast. Every time I see the post title, I can't wait to watch the episode to hear the title in context. It's always a fun surprise. For this particular week, I nearly died laughing at "You're so warm!" Good christ, how much coke was on the table in this writer's room when they came up with that line? ROFL! Between that and "So, you like videotape?" (A WTF moment, for sure!) those writers were bonkers!

When I was a kid, I loved the whole Dylan and Brenda drama in this episode, but watching it now, I'm like "Stop yelling."

But it is kind of a perfect 90210 episode and sets up one of the major relationships that defines the series.

This was the episode where I got completely and utterly smitten with Dylan. The driveway scene, the shower scene.... hell I even forgave the stupid flower pot scene lmao. My mom taped it for me (I like videotapes, Dylan *wink wink*), and I begged her to let me keep it, as in not tape over it with other shows.... so I could watch it over and over during school breaks.

Pretty sure I memorized the entire dialog of this episode back then. Ahhh, to be young and dumb again.

• Love 4

OH god I had a crushed velvet bodysuit in the 90s. I'm getting a rash just thinking about it.

Same. I was in an American Apparel with a friend yesterday, and saw a bunch of bodysuits. I had a sickening flashback to when my jeans would slip down far enough that a sliver of flesh would peep out because the bodysuits were really high-cut in the legs. I'm sure it was about as attractive as it sounds, which is to say ZERO amount of attractive. 

• Love 4

Same. I was in an American Apparel with a friend yesterday, and saw a bunch of bodysuits. I had a sickening flashback to when my jeans would slip down far enough that a sliver of flesh would peep out because the bodysuits were really high-cut in the legs. I'm sure it was about as attractive as it sounds, which is to say ZERO amount of attractive. 

OMG bodysuit plus late 80s/early 90s jeans that were SO BAGGY = so not good. Add in my high heel cowboy boots and I am SO GLAD Instagram was not a thing when I was a highschool student! 

• Love 3