Type keyword(s) to search

Anthony Bourdain & Parts Unknown in the Media

(edited)

A little happiness amidst the sadness courtesy of Netflix:

Some fans have noticed that Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown was scheduled to come off Netflix US on June 16. As of today, we’ve extended our agreement that will keep Parts Unknown on the service for months to come.

Twitter

I'm very happy, as I'm currently only in Season 2.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 9
(edited)

I caught the Vienna episode of No Reservations and was reminded about Zach Zamboni, his cinematographer who was frequently featured including two episodes that were built around him and hope he is doing okay. They were funny together.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

So as Ohmo said, Netflix has reupped its deal to stream Parts Unknown.

Meanwhile, Travel Channel will re-run two hours worth of No Reservations on Tuesday nights at 10 and 11. 

I missed it last night. I checked Comcast on-demand but they didn't have it. Will have to set up a season pass. 

1 hour ago, General Days said:

So as Ohmo said, Netflix has reupped its deal to stream Parts Unknown.

Meanwhile, Travel Channel will re-run two hours worth of No Reservations on Tuesday nights at 10 and 11. 

I missed it last night. I checked Comcast on-demand but they didn't have it. Will have to set up a season pass. 

I managed to DVR it on a later broadcast in the wee hours.  I'm holding them until I can handle watching them again. 

I didn't see any listing for the series in my Comcast program guide for next Tuesday, though.  Maybe they just haven't caught up yet.

(edited)

I am so incredibly sad about his death and I don't know what to do about it. No other celebrity death has effected me as much as this one. So fucking crazy!

My husband and I are going out of town tomorrow until Tuesday. We are kayakers and I cannot wait to get on the water and feel some sense of peace. I hope the water will guide me and tell me what to do with all this sadness. It's too much!

Edited by Sharonana
  • Love 13

And...now I need more Kleenex.

Teen Cancer Survivor Mourns Loss of Anthony Bourdain After the Chef Helped Pay for His Cross-Country Trip

What's difficult for me is, as I'm watching the episodes, they're all new to me, and Anthony's personality and narration literally fill the screen and in some cases jump off of it.  Logically, intellectually I know he's dead, but it's just so difficult to believe that this vibrant guy on the screen is no longer with us AND that he took his own life.  If he had died doing something risky while filming, that would have at least made some sort of sense, as sad as it still would have been.

I hope someone is collecting all of the notes and other items that have been left at his old restaurant.  His daughter might want them one day...if not now, then maybe at some point in the future.

• Love 8
On 6/13/2018 at 11:26 PM, Ohmo said:

And...now I need more Kleenex.

Teen Cancer Survivor Mourns Loss of Anthony Bourdain After the Chef Helped Pay for His Cross-Country Trip

What's difficult for me is, as I'm watching the episodes, they're all new to me, and Anthony's personality and narration literally fill the screen and in some cases jump off of it.  Logically, intellectually I know he's dead, but it's just so difficult to believe that this vibrant guy on the screen is no longer with us AND that he took his own life.  If he had died doing something risky while filming, that would have at least made some sort of sense, as sad as it still would have been.

I hope someone is collecting all of the notes and other items that have been left at his old restaurant.  His daughter might want them one day...if not now, then maybe at some point in the future.

From Eater NYLes Halles' New Owner Is Preserving Anthony Bourdain Memorial Notes

They just moved what was there, before/when the linked article was written, inside the restaurant because of rain. They eventually intend to contact Bourdain's family "to formulate a plan" (for them).

• Love 2
(edited)
56 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

You may remember David Choe from the LA episode. He posted this a few days ago. 

I will see your David Choe mural post: TMZ: Anthony Bourdain--Artist Honors Celeb Chef with Lifelike Mural

and Raise You 2 More:

KIVI-TV Boise: Boise Man Creates Tribute to Anthony Bourdain on Local Restaurant

And... Fox 59 Indianapolis: Check Out This Incredible Chalk Art Honoring Anthony Bourdain

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove a word and a comma.
  • Love 1

The Parts Unknown website has the following locations as "coming soon" so I'm assuming that some of them were what they filmed or had planned for the next season (although obviously the list is too long to be just one season). Based on what he had posted on IG over the last few months, it looks like they had filmed in Bali, Jakarta, Asturias (Spain), New York, Marfa/west Texas, and Kenya (and we know he was filming in Alsace/Strasbourg at the time of his death). I guess we'll see what they decide to air for S12.

Africa:
Tangier
Libya
Congo
Ethiopia

Asia Pacific:
Japan
Tokyo
Shanghai
Vietnam

Europe:
Spain
Sicily
Lyon
Russia
Scotland

Middle East:
Jerusalem

North America:
New Mexico
Detroit
Massachusetts
Miami
Charleston
Houston

South America:
Peru
Paraguay

• Love 1
(edited)

Anthony Bourdain's favorite New Jersey restaurants could become a 'food trail'

On Monday, assemblyman Paul Moriarty of New Jersey’s 4th Legislative District proposed that the Division of Travel and Tourism establish an official Anthony Bourdain Food Trail, inclusive of the 10 eateries Bourdain visited during a 2015 episode of CNN’s Parts Unknown.

The suggested tour would stop at Kubel’s in Barnegat Light, Hiram’s Roadstand in Fort Lee, Knife and Fork, Dock’s Oyster House, Tony’s Baltimore Grill, and James’ Salt Water Taffy in Atlantic City, Tony and Ruth Steaks and Donkey’s Place in Camden, Lucille’s Country Cooking in Barnegat, and Frank’s Deli in Asbury Park.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I thought the Kenya episode was supposed to air this season but maybe it wasn’t finished. I was looking forward to it because I love W. Kamau Bell.

The CNN press release for S11 didn’t include Kenya so I think it was always intended for S12. Per Bourdain’s IG, they were still filming in Kenya in March so it would have been a very short turnaround if they wanted to include it in S11 (the last thing they shot for S11 was this week’s Mardi Gras episode which they wrapped around Valentine’s Day).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I wonder if they'll ever show footage from the show he and Eric were filming in France right before he died.  So heartbreaking.

It might depend on how long, in minutes, the completed footage is. I mean, they could fill the remaining time with tributes & reminiscences, but they already did that type of show the weekend he died & I dunno if they'd wanna do that again. Plus, it would probably depend on the wishes of Tony's daughter & her mother, Ottavia, who was apparently still his legal wife & next of kin when Tony died. They might also have to/feel they have to consult with Tony's mom.

David Cassidy is another example of someone who left possibly incomplete work at the time of his unexpected death. He was recording a number of songs his father taught him; I don't know the length the album was expected to be, but in May, there was a 5-song EP David recorded, that was released to legal download sites online titled Songs My Father Taught Me. The 5 songs released may have been the only/best songs completed & releaseable when David died.

• Love 2

I realize people don't know what to do when there is an unexpected death (Tony's, Parkland, Princess Diana), but I do wish we mourners could dispense with leaving flowers, candles & notes. I know I'm dreaming, but I want everyone to go donate blood instead.

• Love 4

After 19 years Kitchen Confidential is back on the New York Times Best Seller List. Although the reason is sad I'm happy that millions more will be exposed to his incredible writing style and storytelling. The kind of writing that made you back up and  reread a paragraph just to enjoy how it was constructed.  I can't think of a more entertaining book.

The man could write.

• Love 6
On 6/20/2018 at 3:39 AM, Kenzie said:

The man could write.

I got the book when it first came out.

A very good writer indeed.

I will never look at Hollandaise sauce in the same light again.

Ariane will receive the bulk of his estate

Celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain has left most of his estate, which is worth up to $1.21 million, to his 11-year-old daughter new court papers reveal.

According to Manhattan Surrogate’s Court documents filed Thursday, the “Parts Unknown” star’s property includes $425,000 in savings and cash, $35,000 in brokerage money, $250,000 in personal property and $500,000 in “intangible property including royalties and residuals.”

Ottavia Busia-Bourdain, the famed foodie’s estranged wife, is listed as the executor of his estate.

In his will, Bourdain, 61, left Busia-Bourdain all his “personal and household effects,” such as cars and frequent flier miles, “to dispose of in accordance with what (she) believes to have been my wishes.”

A guardian will be picked by the court for Bourdain’s daughter, Ariane, to “safeguard” the handling of her inheritance, since she is still a minor.

If Ariane had died before Bourdain, her nanny, Myra Quizon, would have received that money, his will indicates.

Paperwork also indicates that Bourdain has a mortgage worth $1.1 million, though the property is not specified.

• Love 1
On 7/6/2018 at 4:42 AM, biakbiak said:

I wonder what his interest in ZPZ production company was, sort of shocked by how “small” the worth of his estate.

I read that while his estate was small, he also left his daughter a sizable trust fund, the amount of which is not included in the estate and not required to be public knowledge.  I had read before he died that he was worth several million, so I'm sure he was worth much more than the 1 million reported in the estate.  Unfortunately the news and tabloids ran in haste to print that he was relatively "broke" before he died without doing the fact checking to mention the trust fund.   Setting one up was the best thing he could have done for his daughter according to some sources in the know about these things.  I hate how the "news" these days twists everything around without first getting the full story, but don't get me started!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

read that while his estate was small, he also left his daughter a sizable trust fund,

Yes it was reported after my response. It wasn’t a trust fund for his daughter but rather a trust he set up for the large part of his assets for tax purposes. His daughter is the beneficiary of the trust so she will get the money part at 25 the rest at 30.

50 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Yes it was reported after my response. It wasn’t a trust fund for his daughter but rather a trust he set up for the large part of his assets for tax purposes. His daughter is the beneficiary of the trust so she will get the money part at 25 the rest at 30.

This from the Daily Mail article on Tony:

It is a common practice among the wealthy to create trusts because it allows their beneficiaries to pay less in estate taxes and avoid the publicity of the probate court.

(edited)

Right she is the beneficiary of it but it wasn’t a trust fund in her name that she would have gotten if he had lived, it was in his and he had access to it.

its not only for tax purposes in probate it can also protect assets from other liabilities.

Edited by biakbiak

Well, the point of it is that should he die she reaps the benefits of the way it's structured.  I don't think he set it up that way only for his benefit while he was alive.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Well, the point of it is that should he die she reaps the benefits of the way it's structured.  I don't think he set it up that way only for his benefit while he was alive.

Which is why I said she was the beneficiary of it in my initial post but it’s different that a trust fund for her.

14 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Which is why I said she was the beneficiary of it in my initial post but it’s different that a trust fund for her.

OK, but I didn't say it was a trust fund set up for her, but that he left one to her.  My best friend is the beneficiary of just this kind of fund, lucky her.

Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Writing For A Nonfiction Program - Southern Italy
Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction Or Reality Series
Outstanding Informational Series Or Special
Outstanding Cinematography For A Nonfiction Program - Lagos
Outstanding Picture Editing For A Nonfiction Program - Lagos
Outstanding Sound Editing For A Nonfiction Program (Single Or MultiCamera) -Seattle
Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Nonfiction Program (Single or Multi-Camera) - Lagos

• Love 2

His girlfriend posted a photo of the two them taken shortly before his death.  It still hurts my heart to remember that he's not with us.   So vital too, just before the end.  My goodness, I think I will feel this way for a long time, though, I try to think positive when I watch his work. 

http://www.tmz.com/2018/07/19/asia-argento-shares-anthony-bourdain-photo-grieving/

Ref. Asia.  I wasn't very familiar with her, but, checked into some bio information and discovered that the woman is actually 42 years old.  However, in most of the photographs that I have seen of her, she appears to pose or demonstrate behavior more in line with a 22 year old.  Maybe, that's what Anthony found endearing about her. 

• Love 1

CNN has announced its plans for the 12th and final season yesterday.

Anthony Bourdain’s award-winning CNN series “Parts Unknown” is set to return for a final season on the network this fall, the Los Angeles Times reports. CNN and Bourdain were in production on the show’s 12th season in France when the host took his own life in June. Only one episode of the final season was finished with Bourdain’s complete involvement. The episode, which will be the last to feature Bourdain’s narration, is set in Kenya and guest stars “United Shades of America” host W. Kamau Bell.

Read More:Anthony Bourdain Was a Brilliant Filmmaker in Disguise

The final season of “Parts Unknown” will reportedly run seven episodes. The uncompleted six episodes will be finished by the directors who filmed them and Bourdain’s production company, Zero Point Zero. The episodes are expected to feature audio of Bourdain that was gathered during on-location shoots. Locations for the final episodes include Manhattan’s Lower East Side, the U.S.-Mexico border, the Big Ben area of Texas, and the Asturias region of Spain and Indonesia.

The Los Angeles Times reports the show’s penultimate episode will feature “Parts Unknown” cast and crew discussing the making of the series and behind-the-scenes outtakes and footage. The “Parts Unknown” series finale is being designed as a tribute to Bourdain’s impact on the world and will include reflections from fans, friends, and people who appeared on the series during its run.

“Each one will feel slightly different depending on what’s gathered in the field,” Amy Entelis, the executive vice president of talent and content at CNN, said about the final season. “They will have the full presence of Tony because you’ll see him, you’ll hear him, you’ll watch him. That layer of his narration will be missing, but it will be replaced by other voices of people who are in the episodes.”

“Parts Unknown” premiered April 14, 2013 on CNN. The series has won five Emmy Awards and the 2013 Peabody Award.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-final-144754498.html

• Love 3

I'm sorry but even before I saw this article I thought Asia Argento was an unscrupulous lowlife masquerading as a champion of women's rights and morality.  She was able to schmooze Bourdain into believing her and the poor guy was so blinded and over the moon about her that he actually paid off this young man to keep his mouth shut.  I don't doubt that Bourdain's death and the the probable lack of any more hush money has something to do with this story coming out now.   I am also still suspicious about how much of a part Argento played in Tony's death, if only indirectly, Rose McGowan's open letter notwithstanding.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

She was able to schmooze Bourdain into believing her and the poor guy was so blinded and over the moon about her that he actually paid off this young man to keep his mouth shut.

Tony was friendly with and defended Ted Nugent fucking underage female groupies long before he met Asia, so I legit think he didn’t think there was anything wrong with it.

7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Tony was friendly with and defended Ted Nugent fucking underage female groupies long before he met Asia, so I legit think he didn’t think there was anything wrong with it.

I was aware that Tony knew Nugent, and saw that episode of "No Reservations" with Nugent in it.  So I know Tony defended gun ownership, but I wasn't aware that he ever defended Nugent's past with underage girls.  I had read about Nugent's sordid past with girls previously, but couldn't find anything on Tony defending that.  Can you tell me where you heard that and/or provide a link?

• Love 2

He made several off hand comments about it i. Describing his friendship and made a joke about it on one of the eps that Nugent was on.

The leaked texts also indicate that he wasn’t hoodwinked by Asia about the situation and viewed it as if she didn’t do anything wrong.

• Love 2