Type keyword(s) to search

Anthony Bourdain & Parts Unknown in the Media

12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I loved his show Parts Unknown.  It really opened up so much about people, no matter where they live. His appreciation, not only for different food, but, different cultures was intoxicating.  I was not that familiar with his personal life though.  I had read some basic things online.  What do you mean that you are not shocked by this?  I'm just struggling to process it.

I just mean people think depression looks a certain way or holds a certain personality. It doesn't outwardly. Many depressed people have become good at disguising it, and the rest of the world has become good at ignoring it.

• Love 13

I actually read this news with tears in my eyes, which surprised me. I've been watching Tony and reading his work for going on two decades. So sad. And so awful for Eric Ripert to have to find him. And for his daughter, to have to finish growing up without him. I found this quote this morning in and Eater piece: "On why he quit smoking: 'I mean, I’ve had more time on this Earth than I probably deserve, and I enjoy cigarettes very much, but now I feel that I owe this child who loves me to at least try to live a little longer, you know?'” No words.

• Love 18

Apparently, the show's going on and won't be cancelled. He's got about a month's worth left. It kind of reminds me of Hollywood Squares, where Wally Cox and Cliff Arquette were on the panel long after they died.

• Love 4

This news is so hard to take.

I think in many ways a suicide of a middle age/older person is the darkest. It is of course a crushing tragedy when a young person takes their own life but they also do not have the life experience, to them the depression will never get better and they can't imagine living on. 

For an older person, they've seen the highs and lows of life. Have fought through tough times and at the end they still fully cognizantly decide to end it and the darkness ultimately prevails after being held at bay for so long. 

• Love 21

I am so heartbroken.  Especially after hearing it was Eric who had found him.   For me those episodes with Eric were the best.  

Anthony had a lot of wisdom, and it is so sad to loose that wisdom.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I found this quote this morning in and Eater piece: "On why he quit smoking: 'I mean, I’ve had more time on this Earth than I probably deserve, and I enjoy cigarettes very much, but now I feel that I owe this child who loves me to at least try to live a little longer, you know?'”

This makes me so sad. I do remember a few years ago he said he had quit smoking for a few years and then started again. I don't know if that was just a temporary thing, but I appreciate the sentiment behind it.

6 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

Apparently, the show's going on and won't be cancelled. He's got about a month's worth left. It kind of reminds me of Hollywood Squares, where Wally Cox and Cliff Arquette were on the panel long after they died.

As sad as it will be to watch the remaining episodes, I think it's good that they're still going to air what they've already filmed. People would be upset if those episodes never saw the light of day since it's his last work. I do wonder if they will scrape together an episode of the footage they were shooting in France with Ripert, maybe not as an entire episode but as a farewell/homage.

• Love 9

I have been watching Anthony's various shows for many years. I always thought he had the best job in the world. Traveling to many countries & eating food while chatting with the locals was awesome. I still have so many episodes of his show on dvr. I am very sad about this news.

• Love 8

I have been so saddened by Anthony’s passing.  I feel like I grew up with him and learned so much about travel and food because of him.  My husband I have traveled to Europe many times and it’s in many ways because of Tony that I was willing to venture off the beaten path and to try street food.  I always dreamed of having a job like his and lived vicariously through him by watching his show.  I always wanted to hang out with him and thought how cool it must’ve been to be his friend.  I trusted him and valued his thoughts and opinions.  I always vigorously defended him and praised his show to anyone who doubted the quality and genius in him.  I never knew him but I felt like I did because of how open and honest he was about his flaws and history.  He made it cool to love food and to love travel and to talk about it.  He will be missed for a very long time by millions of people because he was an advocate FOR people, flaws and all.  I wish the demons had remained in the past because I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to someone I never knew but who impacted my life anyway.  I hope he’s found peace now.

• Love 22

So sad to read about this morning.  I yelled "NO!" then when I read that it was Eric Ripert who found him, I yelled no again but even louder.  So freaking sad.  I'm shocked but not surprised.  His poor daughter... 

I hope that he is at peace now.   RIP, Tony.  

• Love 8

Very rarely do I cry at the loss of a well-known figure. Anthony is part of a small group that includes, but not limited to, John Lennon, Princess Diana, and Lucille Ball.

Peace Mr. Bourdain. I miss you already. I know you are with your friend, Carlos. ❤

• Love 8
(edited)

I rarely cry when a celebrity dies, but this hit hard this morning, and to think that Eric found him. I hope Eric seeks some counseling to help him get through this terrible experience. Everyone always says  " I hope so and so is finally at peace now..." when they this happens, but I wonder if there is ever peace for someone so tormented by their demons. I think we all have demons of some sort, but it's how we handle them that makes the difference. Our mental health system is so broken right now, when we need it the most. This morning my husband and I were talking about this news and we told each other if we ever even start going down a depression road that dark, we promise to tell the other right away. I think the one positive thing from this past week, is that maybe if we all can have that conversation with a loved one, be it partner, family, friend, co worker, it's a step in the right direction...

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 12

I've been clinging to all your thoughtful, heartfelt messages here.

How do I process such a devastating event from a man I never knew? But, who meant so much to me?

I have struggled with chronic, mostly low-grade depression for 30 years & a bit of anxiety. At times, I have had really dark, horrible thoughts. I've tried to mostly keep them to myself, I think. Tried some therapy & some meds & I think I put on a pretty good happy face.

But, when I see the aftermath.... it is only too clear to me that that is not the way... How can you claim peace, for yourself, when you leave utter destruction & eternal pain in your wake?

His daughter.... His best friend... His girl...

Smh. I will always honor his memory & the gifts he gave, but this is so wrong!

• Love 16
(edited)

I  was shocked and effected by his death. I started watching him when he was on the travel channel. I was like 12 or so. I kept watching his shows from that point on. I haven't seen all the episodes and actually just recently discovered that a CNN app that had the last few seasons of Parts unknown, most of which I haven't seen.  I was going to watch it on Thursday but didn't :(.  Side note, I noticed Netflix is planning on taking the 8 seasons they have down next week. I wonder if they are still doing this?

Anyhow, this was a really hard loss.  I really looked up to him and saw how many people he impacted by not only his show but those who knew him personally.   My heart goes out to his family and friends. I feel really bad for Eric as he was the one who found him :(.  I feel like he will never get over it, hopefully someone is getting him help.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 8
(edited)
16 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Thank you for posting. I am setting up my DVR.  I have recorded on discs his No Reservations show and many episodes of Parts Unknown. I want to record more episodes of Parts Unknown that previously aired.

If you come across any specials, can you post here? Thank you. 

Edited by Kazu
  • Love 2

So shocking and so sad.. It's terrible to think about the effect on his daughter, at ll. His mother said he was the last person she would have thought would do this, although he's talked about feeling depressed before--engaging in reckless, semi-suicidal behavior when his first marriage ended.  CNN had an excellent evening on Friday with Don Lemon (who had his own memories of Bourdain and at times was near tears). He talked with some close friends of Bourdain's and said several times he wanted to keep everything honest and real because that was how Tony was, on and off camera.

Today I read that Rippert did not actually find him. They were meeting every night for dinner and morning for breakfast in the hotel that week. Bourdain disn't show for dinner Wednesday, but --while unusual-- Rippert didn't think anything much about it.  But on Friday, he didn't come down to breakfast either, or answer his phone. That was when Rippert contacted the front desk.  It was the receptionist who went up to the room and found him (in the bathroom. He used the belt from the hotel robe which the police said made them feel it hadn't been preceded by planning, was more of an impulse. Rippert told Bourdain's mother that he'd been down all week after filming.  I'm sure he knows much more than he's saying but Bourdain was his best friend and I doubt he'll share much more than he already has.  He certainly affected a lot of different people's lives--from that 92 year old ND reviewer of the Olive Garden whom he encouraged, to a c cooking project in DC where ex-cons were being trained as chefs.  The 92 year old said she didn't understand "what he did and wanted to do" but found him, in their hours-long talk--"a very, very warm person" who was more interested in asking about her life and experiences than in talking about himself.)

• Love 11
9 hours ago, ratSenoL said:

This was an older article, updated and reposted: 

Longform

Fiction Confidential

Is the real Anthony Bourdain lurking in his early novels?

https://www.eater.com/2017/1/25/14376996/anthony-bourdain-novels-fiction

In one of his books before Kitchen Confidential he wrote a very detailed few pages on one of the characters, sick of heroin and the dangers involved in buying it, applying for a Methadone program and crying outside when he learned he would have to wait weeks to get in. I always thought he was describing his own experience.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think what's saddest is that Anthony Bourdain might not have known how his death has affected people like me who AREN'T into food.  Food does not rule my life.  I hate three-hour dinners because they take too long.  I eat when I get around to it, but there are plenty of times that skipping eating is just fine by me.  I didn't watch Parts Unknown until yesterday (when I started binging on Netflix, which I will continue to do until Netflix takes the show down later this week.)  I had seen earlier TV featuring Bourdain, but stuff like tripe, brains, and hearts was so not for me.  Yet, I knew who Anthony Bourdain was.  He was the first celebrity chef that I really was aware of since Julia Child.  He was before Bobby Flay and all of the other names we know now, and to watch Parts Unknown now is to see just what we all have lost.  Compounded by the fact that he was in a mental sp.ace of such crises where he made the decision to take his life.  The whole situation is just so profoundly sad...mostly for his daughter, family, and friends of course, but also for the world at large

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2

I hate to bring this up so soon while everyone is grieving (me included), but I can't help but think there was something major that pushed Tony over the edge.  The Daily Mail photos of Asia in what were unmistakably romantic poses with Hugo Clement in Rome only a few days before Tony's death make me wonder, as does her reported Instagram post of a photo of her in a "Fuck you all" tee shirt with the caption "You know who you are" only 3 hours before his death was announced (which she later pulled just before or after the announcement) seem too suspicious to not have something to do with Tony's decision to end his life.  I am sure we could speculate forever on how these things could have had a hand in it and still not come to an answer.  I also wonder if Asia's public statement to "respect her and his family's privacy" at this time came out of some of that.  The tabloids may know more than they are letting on for now.  

Note that even if there was a situational component to his suicide I am sure that his chronic fatigue plus depression also contributed.  It's just that when someone is already in that kind of mental/emotional/physical state, something heartbreaking could send them over the edge to wanting to end it all.  It looks to me like all was not happy between them just before his death.  He may have seen the photos and they may have had a fight.  Eric Ripert and Tony's mom both said he was in a dark mood in the few days before his death.  

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but there is enough out there to make me wonder about this.  I am sorry if this offends anyone who is still grappling with grief to want to entertain such thoughts.

More photos:

http://www.dagospia.com/rubrica-2/media_e_tv/rino-barillari-quegli-scatti-asia-argento-hugo-clement-175850.htm

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I hate to bring this up so soon while everyone is grieving (me included), but I can't help but think there was something major that pushed Tony over the edge.  The Daily Mail photos of Asia in what were unmistakably romantic poses with Hugo Clement in Rome only a few days before Tony's death make me wonder, as does her reported Instagram post of a photo of her in a "Fuck you all" tee shirt with the caption "You know who you are" only 3 hours before his death was announced (which she later pulled just before or after the announcement) seem too suspicious to not have something to do with Tony's decision to end his life.  I am sure we could speculate forever on how these things could have had a hand in it and still not come to an answer.  I also wonder if Asia's public statement to "respect her and his family's privacy" at this time came out of some of that.  The tabloids may know more than they are letting on for now.  

Note that even if there was a situational component to his suicide I am sure that his chronic fatigue plus depression also contributed.  It's just that when someone is already in that kind of mental/emotional/physical state, something heartbreaking could send them over the edge to wanting to end it all.  It looks to me like all was not happy between them just before his death.  He may have seen the photos and they may have had a fight.  Eric Ripert and Tony's mom both said he was in a dark mood in the few days before his death.  

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but there is enough out there to make me wonder about this.  I am sorry if this offends anyone who is still grappling with grief to want to entertain such thoughts.

More photos:

http://www.dagospia.com/rubrica-2/media_e_tv/rino-barillari-quegli-scatti-asia-argento-hugo-clement-175850.htm

Oh, wow.........  I thought the photo of them with her in the red shirt could go just friendship or more but some of these are so clearly beyond friendship.  It is one thing for someone to end a relationship then get with someone else so soon and keep it in private but then to end a relationship then flaunt the new person so soon and in the media is too much, way too much.  Since it was flaunted where she knew they were getting pics taken, I do not think she was cheating but must've ended it then was showing off her new man.  Everyone knows that is a shitty thing to do and now she is reaping what she sowed.              

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 4
On 6/9/2018 at 10:46 PM, Padma said:

So shocking and so sad.. It's terrible to think about the effect on his daughter, at ll. His mother said he was the last person she would have thought would do this, although he's talked about feeling depressed before--engaging in reckless, semi-suicidal behavior when his first marriage ended.  CNN had an excellent evening on Friday with Don Lemon (who had his own memories of Bourdain and at times was near tears). He talked with some close friends of Bourdain's and said several times he wanted to keep everything honest and real because that was how Tony was, on and off camera.

Today I read that Rippert did not actually find him. They were meeting every night for dinner and morning for breakfast in the hotel that week. Bourdain disn't show for dinner Wednesday, but --while unusual-- Rippert didn't think anything much about it.  But on Friday, he didn't come down to breakfast either, or answer his phone. That was when Rippert contacted the front desk.  It was the receptionist who went up to the room and found him (in the bathroom. He used the belt from the hotel robe which the police said made them feel it hadn't been preceded by planning, was more of an impulse. Rippert told Bourdain's mother that he'd been down all week after filming.  I'm sure he knows much more than he's saying but Bourdain was his best friend and I doubt he'll share much more than he already has.  He certainly affected a lot of different people's lives--from that 92 year old ND reviewer of the Olive Garden whom he encouraged, to a c cooking project in DC where ex-cons were being trained as chefs.  The 92 year old said she didn't understand "what he did and wanted to do" but found him, in their hours-long talk--"a very, very warm person" who was more interested in asking about her life and experiences than in talking about himself.)

So Mr. Bourdain may have committed suicide on Wednesday evening?

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

More photos:

Rose McGowan has inserted herself in this and made a point to say Bourdain and Argento had an open relationship.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/rose-mcgowan-anthony-bourdain-suicide-statement-depression-1202407718/

Regardless of whether that's true. Anthony Bourdain was a 61 year old man, who previously lived through his divorce from his high school sweetheart, Nancy Putkowski, after 20 years of marriage. He also survived the breakup of his marriage with Ottavia Busia, the mother of his only child.

It's depression at work here, depression and whatever other illnesses may have again reared their ugly heads.

I adored Bourdain and didn't know who Argento was until the Weinstein scandal hit and news broke that Bourdain was dating her. Please keep that in mind when I say I find it disgusting that the tabloids are laying any blame at Argento's feet, either outright or implied. It is absolutely revolting. 

People breakup and makeup all the time -- without a death toll.

It is not a woman's fault when a man reacts badly, whether he does so by shooting up a school or hanging himself in his hotel shower.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Kazu said:

So Mr. Bourdain may have committed suicide on Wednesday evening?

I think I read the same article, but I don't think it was Wednesday.  I think speculation is that Anthony might have taken his life some time Thursday night because he missed dinner, which was odd because he knew the chef.  Eric then became concerned when Anthony didn't arrive for breakfast Friday morning.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, General Days said:

Rose McGowan has inserted herself in this and made a point to say Bourdain and Argento had an open relationship.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/rose-mcgowan-anthony-bourdain-suicide-statement-depression-1202407718/

Regardless of whether that's true. Anthony Bourdain was a 61 year old man, who previously lived through his divorce from his high school sweetheart, Nancy Putkowski, after 20 years of marriage. He also survived the breakup of his marriage with Ottavia Busia, the mother of his only child.

It's depression at work here, depression and whatever other illnesses may have again reared their ugly heads.

I adored Bourdain and didn't know who Argento was until the Weinstein scandal hit and news broke that Bourdain was dating her. Please keep that in mind when I say I find it disgusting that the tabloids are laying any blame at Argento's feet, either outright or implied. It is absolutely revolting. 

It is not a woman's fault when a man reacts badly, whether he does so by shooting up a school or hanging himself in his hotel shower.

Exactly.

I watched the video that was posted showing him discussing in detail how insignificant things triggered him into a depressed mode:

When asked what brought him into the office, Bourdain says ... "I will find myself in an airport, for instance, and I'll order an airport hamburger. It's an insignificant thing, it's a small thing, it's a hamburger, but it's not a good one. Suddenly I look at the hamburger and I find myself in a spiral of depression that can last for days."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, crgirl412 said:

Oh, wow.........  I thought the photo of them with her in the red shirt could go just friendship or more but some of these are so clearly beyond friendship.  It is one thing for someone to end a relationship then get with someone else so soon and keep it in private but then to end a relationship then flaunt the new person so soon and in the media is too much, way too much.  Since it was flaunted where she knew they were getting pics taken, I do not think she was cheating but must've ended it then was showing off her new man.  Everyone knows that is a shitty thing to do and now she is reaping what she sowed.              

59 minutes ago, General Days said:

Reap what she sowed is perhaps too harsh.  I agree that she didn't cause it or make him do it but she knew that he was sensitive, fragile, prone to depression and would not react well.  We all have a friend, acquaintance or relative who has to be treated with a little more care for different reasons.  Surely she knew about a bad hamburger so what did she think this would do?  I do not believe that she thought it would be suicide, but maybe she should have?      

(edited)
40 minutes ago, Kazu said:

When asked what brought him into the office, Bourdain says ... "I will find myself in an airport, for instance, and I'll order an airport hamburger. It's an insignificant thing, it's a small thing, it's a hamburger, but it's not a good one. Suddenly I look at the hamburger and I find myself in a spiral of depression that can last for days."

Several members of my family are dealing with mental illness, and I'll tell you, sleep is very important.  Based on my experiences with my own family members and what I've read about Anthony's grueling schedule, if he wasn't sleeping, he was in trouble.  Lack of sleep coupled with depression or bipolar disorder places a person on edge.  Add any negative stimuli (even a small one), and things can shift in a frighteningly fast period of time....resulting in potentially dangerous and impulsive behavior.  Unfortunately, I can see a scenario where he encountered a stimuli that he perceived as negative when he was alone, thus setting off the chain of events that the authorities believe was impulse-driven, and no one was with him to stop him.

I bet that "dark mood for days" was the depression creeping in due to lack of sleep, but no one around Anthony might have realized he was heading toward trouble from a mental health standpoint.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 4

I'm curious what will show up in the toxicology report - like if he were taking any medications. 

Anyway, I echo the sentiments already expressed here - it's so incredibly sad. He seemed cooler than the other side of the pillow; the kind of guy you'd want to enjoy a beer and a burger with. I just wish he were able to conquer whatever demons he faced before they took him away from us forever.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Kazu said:

Exactly.

I watched the video that was posted showing him discussing in detail how insignificant things triggered him into a depressed mode:

Thank you.

1 minute ago, crgirl412 said:

Reap what she sowed is perhaps too harsh.  I agree that she didn't cause it or make him do it but she knew that he was sensitive, fragile, prone to depression and would not react well.  We all have a friend, acquaintance or relative who has to be treated with a little more care for different reasons.  Surely she knew about a bad hamburger so what did she think this would do?  I do not believe that she thought it would be suicide, but maybe she should have?      

No. This whole angle, whether the harsh version or the "less harsh" one seems to be an exercise in assigning blame for a situation no one will ever know about, except the two people involved, and one of them is dead at his own hand. Unfortunately, he's also the only one would could have chosen help, but the very illness itself makes that seem like it's not a choice, when it is a necessity.

To me, this all infantilizes Bourdain and trivializes the import of his other relationships (particularly that with his daughter) as well as his illness(es). 

4 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

Several members of my family are dealing with mental illness, and I'll tell you, sleep is very important.  Based on my experiences with my own family members and what I've read about Anthony's grueling schedule, if he wasn't sleeping, he was in trouble.  Lack of sleep coupled with depression or bipolar disorder places a person on edge.  Add any negative stimuli (even a small one), and things can shift in a frighteningly fast period of time....resulting in potentially dangerous and impulsive behavior.  Unfortunately, I can see a scenario where he encountered a stimuli that he perceived as negative when he was alone, thus setting off the chain of events that the authorities believe was impulse-driven, and no one was with him to stop him.

I bet that "dark mood for days" was the depression creeping in due to lack of sleep, but no one around Anthony might have realized he was heading toward trouble from a mental health standpoint.

Yes this. Alcohol is also a depressant. People self-medicate with it all the time, but it makes depression worse over time, by its very nature. It also clouds judgment. 

In the Deadline article I linked above, McGowan alleges Bourdain had sought medical care, but didn't follow doctor's advice (whatever that may have been). For all anyone knows, Argento could have been practicing self care by giving him a wide berth. 

Here's some more media regarding McGowan's input:

• Love 3
1 hour ago, General Days said:

^^This^^ I wish this aspect was never introduced into this thread because it takes the spotlight away from what happened. I have had countless break ups over the years, I'm still here. That is not the 'reason' in this case, it's just one of many pieces of tinder added to an already smoldering mental health situation. I'm still so sad about this...

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I'm curious what will show up in the toxicology report - like if he were taking any medications. 

My first thought was "I wonder if he was on Ambien," which my family members have been prescribed by their doctors in order to maintain good-quality sleep.  However, Anthony was also a recovering addict, so (if he was in treatment) doctors might not have wanted to prescribe Ambien.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

Lack of sleep is not healthy for any of us but sleep is supremely important when dealing with mental illness.  I am a Psychiatric RN on an acute inpatient unit and the docs watch the sleep hours very carefully.  99% of my patients take sleep aids so they can get the sleep they need.  In Bipolar and Schizophrenia, lack of sleep can make things much worse even while on meds.

Anthony was dealing with lack of sleep and jet lag which must be horrible.         

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

My first thought was "I wonder if he was on Ambien," which my family members have been prescribed by their doctors in order to maintain good-quality sleep.  However, Anthony was also a recovering addict, so (if he was in treatment) doctors might not have wanted to prescribe Ambien.

Ambien can especially be addictive when the person has a paradoxical reaction, instead of being sleepy they are very alert and instead of feeling relaxed they can have a feeling of being powerful.  Yes, if someone is an addict even risking it might not be worth it.  

• Love 3

Ottavia posted about Ariane performing a concert over the weekend, wearing the very-Tony-looking boots her dad gave her. Maybe it's just the camera angle, but she looks here like she's going to be tall, like her father.

San Francisco chef Richie Nakana wrote a Bourdain tribute, "A Cooks Farewell," on Chef's Feed

The New Yorker's Anthony Bourdain tag is worth exploring. 

Here's an audio interview of Bourdain on The New Yorker Radio Hour, by publisher David Remnick

Here's a video interview with Bourdain at the 2017 New Yorker Festival, with Patrick Radden Keefe. It's billed as Bourdain addressing going from Obama to Trump, but it's not really political, because Bourdain's point is that he tries to be open to people as people, no matter where he goes.

<script async src="//player-backend.cnevids.com/script/video/59ce9ce32d1ca03cdb000014.js?iu=/3379/newyorker.dart/share"></script>

I'm not sure the embed code will work here, but you can find the video embedded within Keefe's "Post Script" farewell to Bourdain

• Love 3

Evwn if Bourdain flat out told Asia “I WILL KILL MUSELF IF YOU <LEAVE/BREAK UP WITH ME/SLEEP WITH SOMEONE ELSE/ARE SEEN IN PUBLIC WITH SOMEONE ELSE>,” she is not to blame for his suicide.

Yes, we should all have compassion for others and try to do what we can to have empathy, but it is NEVER someone’s responsibility to stay in a relationship because the other person might harm himself or anyone else. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, General Days said:

I agree completely.  When I thought I saw some kind of crisis that put him over the edge, I never meant to blame Asia for it, regardless of what the tabloids might have implied.  I thought that perhaps things might have gone south in their relationship and he took it badly because he was already depressed.  Not her fault, those things happen in relationships all the time.  If I had a fight with my husband and the next day he killed himself I still wouldn't be to blame.  Couples have fights all the time without killing themselves.

Knowing they had an open relationship doesn't really change anything as far as my speculation goes.  Even in open relationships jealousy can fester, in fact, especially in open relationships.  Precisely because of the openness there are more reasons to get jealous.  Human nature doesn't change just because of a couple's agreement.  But I don't really want to push that kind of speculation too much because we really don't know.

I will say this, though - I always saw Tony's preference for much younger women as his attempt to stay young and cool in his own mind.  I think the older he got the less that worked for him. 

4 hours ago, crgirl412 said:

Lack of sleep is not healthy for any of us but sleep is supremely important when dealing with mental illness.  I am a Psychiatric RN on an acute inpatient unit and the docs watch the sleep hours very carefully.  99% of my patients take sleep aids so they can get the sleep they need.  In Bipolar and Schizophrenia, lack of sleep can make things much worse even while on meds.

Anthony was dealing with lack of sleep and jet lag which must be horrible.         

Yes, I addressed this in my first post - I also thought that his age was a factor in his fatigue and depression because most people I've known of that kept grueling travel schedules had to stop by mid 50s even if they were super human until that time.  A boss I worked for was a case in point.  He spent more time traveling the world than he did at home and even though he was over 50 he made younger people's heads spin with his incredible endurance.  He never even suffered jet lag.  But once he hit mid 50s he had to slow it way down, which was not easy for a very driven executive.  Tony refused to slow down, and there's some evidence coming out to suggest that doctors and maybe even friends had urged him to do so.  There's a quote of his where he said he'd rather "die in the saddle" than on a beach or whatever retirement symbol he used.  I personally think Tony was always running away from his demons rather than deal with them.  People that are that driven are often doing it to run away from themselves in one way or another.  

Rose McGowan (I think it was her) suggested that Tony never sought the help he needed for his suicidal tendencies because he came from an "older" generation in which men had to act like "he men" and not show vulnerability or accept that they need help.  I say BS to that.  Perhaps that's true of my Dad's WWII generation but not mine.   My generation popularized psychotherapy and flocked to it in record numbers, so BS to that.  That was squarely a Tony thing through and through if you ask me.  I hate it when younger people blame people's problems on being an "older generation" thing when they're not.   Rose asked people to keep their minds open and not be sexist, well she should try not being age-ist in the process.  Sorry, I had to say that!

• Love 8
8 hours ago, General Days said:

I really feel for Asia. She was already run out of her country (and called a lying slut for revealing that Weinstein had raped her) and immediately after Anthony's death, her social media feeds were filled with so many hateful and accusatory comments, as if this is all her fault (I'm assuming this is why Rose McGowan posted the above for her - and I don't blame Asia for taking a break from the vitriol). Love isn't enough to stop depression and suicidal thoughts. If it were, his love for his daughter would have saved him. It makes me so angry that instead of trying to destigmatize depression, people are blaming Asia. Regardless of what happened in their relationship, she is not responsible for his depression.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Rose McGowan (I think it was her) suggested that Tony never sought the help he needed for his suicidal tendencies because he came from an "older" generation in which men had to act like "he men" and not show vulnerability or accept that they need help.  I say BS to that.  

Rose McGowan knows shit. Tony walked several people through depression and also saw a therapist.

24 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She was already run out of her country (and called a lying slut for revealing that Weinstein had raped her)

She threatened to leave but never left Rome which makes sense because that is where her youngest child’s father lives and they share custody.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She threatened to leave but never left Rome which makes sense because that is where her youngest child’s father lives and they share custody.

According to several articles from last October, Asia fled to Germany (ha, that's a weird sentence if you don't know the context!) so I had assumed she was still there (or at least not back in Italy). To be honest, I don't follow her career (or follow her on social media) so I had no idea what she's been up to since the story broke last year. At this point I'm glad she's back in Italy, if only to be surrounded by family while she deals with Anthony's death.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

According to several articles from last October, Asia fled to Germany (ha, that's a weird sentence if you don't know the context!) so I had assumed she was still there (or at least not back in Italy). To be honest, I don't follow her career (or follow her on social media) so I had no idea what she's been up to since the story broke last year. At this point I'm glad she's back in Italy, if only to be surrounded by family while she deals with Anthony's death.

She never moved. I don’t follow her either but I follow Tony and he was frequently in Rome with her. It’s also where the last pics of them were taken together and the other photos of her were taken last week.

Edited by biakbiak

A post from Xi’an Famous Foods (No Reservations filmed a segment there over ten years ago - there’s a picture of Bourdain and the guy who wrote this at the source):

Today's a day of extreme sadness for us here at Xi'an Famous Foods. I've lost a dear friend today, and we mourn with the rest of the world. I remember the time in 2007 when Tony first visited our basement food stall in Flushing for Travel Channel's No Reservations while I was still in college (even though I didn't know who he was at the time). I remember my father preparing interesting off-menu dishes to get his opinion on when he visited our store. I remember years later in 2015 after interviewing together for an article, I approached Tony and told him, while he may have no idea what he has done for our family and business by simply saying he enjoyed the food, I wanted him to know it helped bring our family out from living in one room in Flushing to living the American dream. We were able to grow our business and provide great food for our guests, and opportunities for our employees. I looked at him in the eyes and said, this is something we will always be thankful for, Tony. And he simply replied, "I'm just calling out good food like it is, that's all." In honor of his memory and all of those dear people who left us all too early, and in taking whatever action we can to prevent suicide in the US, Xi'an Famous Foods will be donating 100% of our net sales on today, Friday, June 8, 2018, from all of our stores, to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline '1-800-273-TALK (8255)'. Please cherish all of our lives and help those who may be struggling. Rest in peace, Tony, and the most sincere condolences to Tony's beloved family. 
~Jason Wang, CEO

[UPDATE 6/11/18: With your heartfelt support, along with the hard work of our store staff, we were able to serve almost double the amount of dishes as usual at dinner on Friday 6/8/18, with some stores selling out of items towards the end of the night. We were able to raise $73,509.76 (net sales) to donate to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline '1-800-273-TALK (8255)' to help their work in suicide prevention. Thank you for helping us with this tribute to our friend.]

• Love 9