Type keyword(s) to search

19 Kids And Counting - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I had the same thought. Josie will get two grains of rice a day, just so Michelle can have a frappchino, and Jim Bob his helmet hair.

I don't think they are aware anymore of what and how much the little ones are eating - and if they had a certain meal at all!! 

• Love 4
I don't think they are aware anymore of what and how much the little ones are eating - and if they had a certain meal at all!

We know this to be somewhat true as evidenced by the talking head given by Jenny and Jordyn WRT to Jessa's wedding.  Jenny didn't eat, and didn't even know there was pie.  She says when she later asked for food, her mother denied her request.  Bitch.

• Love 7

I'm genuinely confused at all the celebration about the show being "cancelled". They are doing "specials". That is not cancelled. That is reformatting the concept to make it look like TLC has taken action,when they have not. They are most likely filming as we speak. I am sure Anna has given birth already and the news is being withheld until a more advantageous time. TLC is in it for the money and won't give up this cash cow. I've read that the support groups that have aligned with TLC for this special were thought to be legitimate. Recovery from incest and sexual abuse is a long process. If that process could be facilitated by watching a cable entertainment program, why bother with real therapy? If these groups thought to align themselves with TLC, that tells me to walk real wide around these groups. It is about money and about nothing else but money.

• Love 5

They didnt film Jill leaving for Central America (or that wouldn't have been released, and so badly done) and we know from the last season that was part of the next season. So I'm not convinced they are filming specials. And I'm especially not at all convinced they are filming M4. I don't think they could keep Josh out of it, and I really don't see even a half million fans ready to watch Josh fawning over his new baby daughter yet.

• Love 5

As far as I know, RAINN is very serious business, and they're being given the opportunity to reach an audience in a community which minimizes or completely dismisses abuse. I'd say that's probably worth being on the same show as some Duggars for them without any ulterior motives.

Although if they do get a flood of donations, good.

• Love 9
(edited)

The Duggars have gotten the topic of sexual abuse back in the news. Maybe the groups participating in this special are figuring that any amount of attention to the issue is worth it. The Duggars do have an appeal to a conservative audience that might be very hard for those groups to reach otherwise, because that audience might be inclined to reject RAINN and such as a bunch of angry feminists or whatever. Seeing them allied with the Duggars might do lot to dispel that kind of thinking. 

Honestly, if the sexual abuse problem is really as widespread as the Duggars alluded to in those horrible interviews, RAINN and the others need to do whatever they can to reach out to that population.

Edited to say: See what Julia said above.

Edited by Anne Elk
  • Love 1

As far as I know, RAINN is very serious business, and they're being given the opportunity to reach an audience in a community which minimizes or completely dismisses abuse. I'd say that's probably worth being on the same show as some Duggars for them without any ulterior motives.

I agree the Duggar girls are popular enough I think they will improve ratings. It's worth it. Maybe they will learn something.

It's being reported that the Duggars are filming again, and the townspeople aren't happy about the cameras returning.  Good grief...

http://www.etonline.com/news/182538_the_duggars_coming_back_to_tv/

Sigh... and so it begins again. Really, even though I have always watched them in a train wreck sort of way, I was glad to see the end of their gravy train and wanted them to finally discover what it means to actually have to work for a living. That dream has died.

• Love 6

Sigh... and so it begins again. Really, even though I have always watched them in a train wreck sort of way, I was glad to see the end of their gravy train and wanted them to finally discover what it means to actually have to work for a living. That dream has died.

Shit don't they know how to do anything else?  It's so stupid at this point.  More kids are going to be 'courting', They court for a living. Oh boy. People date and court and get married all of the time, it's not unusual.  I've heard that even people who aren't Duggars get pregnant and give birth too!  Well no doubt in my mind that more scandals will be coming out  and I'm guessing and suspecting it will not be a Josh one.  Just like TLC either didn't vet the original show or actually knew about the Josh molestation but decided to go ahead with it anyway, more scandals in my opinion will be leaking through the sieve like a broken dam.

• Love 6

Shit don't they know how to do anything else?  It's so stupid at this point.  More kids are going to be 'courting', They court for a living. Oh boy. People date and court and get married all of the time, it's not unusual.  I've heard that even people who aren't Duggars get pregnant and give birth too!  Well no doubt in my mind that more scandals will be coming out  and I'm guessing and suspecting it will not be a Josh one.  Just like TLC either didn't vet the original show or actually knew about the Josh molestation but decided to go ahead with it anyway, more scandals in my opinion will be leaking through the sieve like a broken dam.

I remain skeptical about the presence of any actual big scandals -- other than the oh-so-godly-and-utterly-pure-and-ideal-as-a-family Duggars being hypocrites about absolutely everything. But I'm absolutely sure that what will be leaking through the sieve at Niagara-like volume is more excruciatingly boring shit. .....

More girls courting! How many times to people want do hear that young people in their 20s aren't allowed to hold hands? And that this is something that everyone would aspire to, if we were only as good as the Duggars? Mindblowing, to me.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

IMO the courting, engagement, marriage episodes were the most repetitive and boring of all. Big fucking deal.

I remain skeptical about the presence of any actual big scandals -- other than the oh-so-godly-and-utterly-pure-and-ideal-as-a-family Duggars being hypocrites about absolutely everything. But I'm absolutely sure that what will be leaking through the sieve at Niagara-like volume is more excruciatingly boring shit. .....

More girls courting! How many times to people want do hear that young people in their 20s aren't allowed to hold hands? And that this is something that everyone would aspire to, if we were only as good as the Duggars? Mindblowing, to me.

But but but - didn't they tell us (ad nauseum) that all the kids are allowed to determine their own physical boundaries, such as hand holding? It might be interesting to see one kid kiss while "courting."

• Love 6

IMO the courting, engagement, marriage episodes were the most repetitive and boring of all. Big fucking deal.

But but but - didn't they tell us (ad nauseum) that all the kids are allowed to determine their own physical boundaries, such as hand holding? It might be interesting to see one kid kiss while "courting."

Now it'll come with added desperation to please the TLC gods. Those Counting On specials were full of it.
  • Love 5

Now Marjorie's going to be sorry if it's indeed true that part of the end of the courtship ending was because of the show going off the air. Then again, maybe there were other factors. I know her family is fundie but they do at least wear pants. Maybe they came to a realization of just how bad the Duggars's beliefs are.

• Love 1

Whats to film

I think that's where TLC and others mess up. Most of theses shows, including the Duggars and Kate Plus 8, showed 'a day in the life of'. Then it was all about events and trips and such. The ho-humness of the original episodes, combined with all the "are you effing kidding me" moments is what I found appealing about these particular shows.

Maybe it's akin to what race car fans find appealing; lap after lap, and then bang, an accident.

• Love 5

I think that's where TLC and others mess up. Most of theses shows, including the Duggars and Kate Plus 8, showed 'a day in the life of'. Then it was all about events and trips and such. The ho-humness of the original episodes, combined with all the "are you effing kidding me" moments is what I found appealing about these particular shows.

Maybe it's akin to what race car fans find appealing; lap after lap, and then bang, an accident.

Exactly. When you take a truly off-beat situation: 19 kids, polygamists trying to live as though their lives are just like mine, etc. I tune in to have a gander at The Thing that makes them odd, and see how they manage everyday life with whatever weird tangent their life has. How DOES a mother handle double digit kids? How do the plygs handle trading off their man for anniversaries. But TLC forever reverts to trips that don't jive with reality, massive parties, and spending whole episodes shoveling out cooked-up plots with scripted lines that don't ring with any truth at all. The only time the show is genuinely entertaining is when somebody goes "off book"--like having a kid fall into an orchestra pit, or when you gather the young'uns to announce mama's 19 pregnancy, and the only kid smart enough to understand what a shitty idea that is reacts with distress, and is promptly hustled off-camera by Big Daddy Vice Grip.

• Love 6