Type keyword(s) to search

19 Kids And Counting - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's almost like these people who are willing to put their families on television have mental problems or something.

Most of them do.  It takes an extra helping or three of narcissism in the personality to put yourself and your family on TV. 

• Love 17

Just curious, is anyone here even remotely interested in watching the documentary? Even if Jessa and Jill weren't in it? Will you watch it to see how Jessa and Jill respond because they are in it? Because I have zero interest in a documentary about sexual abuse by TLC. But I'm betting that because Jill and Jessa are in it, it gets decent ratings. Otherwise, nothing. And not just people watching because they love the Duggars. Plenty of haters will watch too.

I'm neither, but I'm not watching.

• Love 10

TLC has partnered with RAINN and D2L for a documentary on sex abuse and two of the participants are Jill and Jessa.

TLC still trying to figure out how to make money from their cash cow, I see.  Give them a few years and they'll figure out a way to bring them back somehow i.e. Kate Plus 8.

• Love 5

I wonder if all the recent stuff about Jill and Derecks "ministry" was the final nail in the coffin for tlc?

You just know the Duggars will go on a instagram photo spree now,lots of happy family pictures with forced smiles that say "we dont care look at us"(exept we really do care)

• Love 4

I wonder if all the recent stuff about Jill and Derecks "ministry" was the final nail in the coffin for tlc?

You just know the Duggars will go on a instagram photo spree now,lots of happy family pictures with forced smiles that say "we dont care look at us"(exept we really do care)

Ha, kind of like the way people get dumped and then start posting pictures of themselves in bikinis to show their ex that they're sooooo happy - wooooooo!

• Love 9

I think the final nail is the results of the DHS investigation are in and there's a lot of "sinning in the camp".

• Love 10

YAY!!!!! They are gone!!!!

I can see the network wanting to do something about the evils of child molestation, even if for NO reason other than to CYA, which I believe is all they care about....but....the bit I saw about a couple of the duggar girls being part of a show on molestation showed me just how fame/money/whorish they all are....I saw the segment with Jessa and Jill and thought at the time how VERY fake it seemed of the one (can't recall which one as they/their ideology/smiling platitudes are completely interchangeable to me) who made the teary statement that digging it all up was like making them go through it all again....well then, maybe daddy dickwad and mummy memememememememe should have taken care of ALL of their children properly the first time around!!!!!

I never did watch the show as its basic depiction of and attitude toward women/females sickens me, so I would never be a candidate to watch any future travesty they try to perpetrate/perpetuate on the rest of society....whom I still think are better than to fall for duggar crap in any event. If they had seemed at all sincere in the first place, it might feel differently, but after all I have read and, of late, seen, not so much.

• Love 10

This is the best thing that could have happened to all of the kids remaining at home. Hopefully a few of them will make their way away from it and build their own lives. It's possible the littlest ones may not have much in the way of memories about the show as the years go by and so hopefully they won't be affected very much from its demise. It might be tougher on the middle aged kids, but I'm sure Jana and John David are breathing huge sighs of relief.

• Love 3

Wow - I'm shocked. I never thought it would happen. There goes the gravy train. Now go get some real jobs.

What are the Duggars going to teach about molestation - how to cover it up, protect the guilty child  and hide a person from the law? The people at TLC need their heads examined.

Yes! The cancellation news is music, but the documenatary featuring two of Josh's apologists -- funded in partnership with TLC! -- makes me stabby. TLC is truly amoral; it's all about the revenue...keep it moving, shaking, swelling the coffers.
  • Love 4

I could NOT be happier for our 19K mods! They (and I) have been praying for this day since the scandal broke.

I hope the 19KAC mods have been partaking from the PTV Official Moderators' Liquor Cabinet and enjoying the Official Moderators' Hot Tub. ;-)

• Love 10

I think it's admirable that TLC has decided to do a documentary about child abuse in order to raise public awareness and to bring help to victims, but I'm suspicious as to the motives of TLC at the decision to have both Jessa and Jill contribute to this documentary. For reasons only known to TLC, there are most likely an ulterior motive for including Jessa and Jill. It's possible that TLC still wants to introduce a reality show based on Jessa, Ben, Jill and Derick.

Considering the fact that during the Meghan Kelly and Jessa/Jill interview that it was presented in a way that both girls demonstrated that they had forgiven their brother and moved on. After all, "he was a kid" and they "didn't even know what had happened until their mother told them what had happened".  Will they do a turn-around and about-face in a TLC documentary? They downplayed it then, will they emphasize it now just for ratings and a chance for their own shows?  Will they claim that they were traumatized and victimized and suffered emotional distress? It will be interesting as to how they'll present the facts now, after the Meghan Kelly interview and their attempts at defending Josh and their parents.

If Jessa and Jill appear in this documentary and change anything from their "it wasn't a big deal" story, wouldn't that be evidence for the lawsuit that the 5th victim is (reported to be in the process of) filing?

I hope the 19KAC mods have been partaking from the PTV Official Moderators' Liquor Cabinet and enjoying the Official Moderators' Hot Tub. ;-)

I'm not 100% sure of the logistics, but since few if any of the mods are in the same location, I think it would have to be a virtual liquor cabinet (BYOB) and a virtual hot tub (Bring Your Own Rubber Duckie).

• Love 4

Yes! The cancellation news is music, but the documenatary featuring two of Josh's apologists -- funded in partnership with TLC! -- makes me stabby. TLC is truly amoral; it's all about the revenue...keep it moving, shaking, swelling the coffers.

The organizations partnering with TLC give me hope that the Duggar girls may be used as a What Not To Do example regarding abuse. Hopefully, they can spin it to show that denial leads to more problems down the road. Especially given that these two claimed that they knew nothing and that they were only victims of the ebil librul media's exploitation of them. 

• Love 10
(edited)

Huzzah! Pass the champagne, lock the grape juice in the prayer closet, and purpose to burn the fundy-English dictionary!

I know I sound insensitive, but I think this is a good thing in the long run. We've been watching for years, waiting for more freedom for the kids and we haven't seen it. All of the "free Jinger! Free Jana! Free Josiah!" campaigns have amounted to absolutely nothing. Our high courtship hopes have ended with preachy Ben, "so I married a guy who assaulted his sisters!" Anna and the 4Ms, and a guy who would leave a good job to take his wife and baby to spread the good news of Gothard in El Salvador. With no cameras, no family image to uphold and no internet critics to appease, someone has to be able to break free (seriously, Meechelle and the Boob won't even notice if a Howler vanishes one dark and stormy night). 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 15
(edited)

This is the best thing that could have happened to all of the kids remaining at home. Hopefully a few of them will make their way away from it and build their own lives. It's possible the littlest ones may not have much in the way of memories about the show as the years go by and so hopefully they won't be affected very much from its demise. It might be tougher on the middle aged kids, but I'm sure Jana and John David are breathing huge sighs of relief.

They don't have to put on the fundie/conservative  act (and I do believe most of it was a put-on) for the cameras any longer. I mean appearing to strictly adhere to their chosen beliefs.

Edited by xls
  • Love 4

I don't think Jim Bob will go quietly into that dark, TV-showless night. I think there'll be plenty of tweeting, Instagraming and YouTubing going on in the future. Because they have to get their message out to the world, y'know.

• Love 10

Do you think he was huffing the hair spray?    I'm walkin on sunshine !

He better get used to Suave hairspray and say goodbye of whatever is left of his Sebastian Shaper.

Is there such a thing as used hairspray?

hairspray_hates-250x250.gif

The organizations partnering with TLC give me hope that the Duggar girls may be used as a What Not To Do example regarding abuse. Hopefully, they can spin it to show that denial leads to more problems down the road. Especially given that these two claimed that they knew nothing and that they were only victims of the ebil librul media's exploitation of them. 

That's what I'm thinking might happen. It would be the network's way of washing their hands of the Duggars and redeeming themselves for not canning them sooner. Also, the "what not to do" angle gives the opportunity to call them out for all the things said in that BS interview without looking like they are attacking the victims.

• Love 6

One of two things will happen now...either some of the kids will tell their parents to f-off or the parents will double down on the Gothard bullshit...The younger ones have not been raised as strictly as the older ones were and doubling down on them is going to cause all sorts of turmoil...life inside the TTH should be really interesting right about now...

• Love 8

With regards to the documentary, I think Jill and Jessa should be involved if they want to be. My problem is. I am not entirely comfortable telling victims how they should feel. If they feel it was no big deal, so be it. I may be remembering incorrectly but I don't recall them speaking for anyone else except their sisters. Did they include the fifth victim when they said it wasn't a big deal for their family? I don't think Jill and Jessa were trying to speak for all victims of abuse, just themselves and their feelings. I also believe documentaries should show different points of view.

(edited)

Don't forget 4. Josh balloons up and looses limbs to type II diabetes.

I say he eats himself into a food coma, then briefly resurfaces to do a commercial with Wilford Brimley, and finally has something amputated.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 8

With regards to the documentary, I think Jill and Jessa should be involved if they want to be. My problem is. I am not entirely comfortable telling victims how they should feel. If they feel it was no big deal, so be it. I may be remembering incorrectly but I don't recall them speaking for anyone else except their sisters. Did they include the fifth victim when they said it wasn't a big deal for their family? I don't think Jill and Jessa were trying to speak for all victims of abuse, just themselves and their feelings. I also believe documentaries should show different points of view.

Yes, Jessa also spoke for the fifth victim, saying that they had talked recently and that she was "cool with it" or somesuch. So no, they're not beyond putting their words in other peoples' mouths. If they play the victim card in this documentary, my guess is that they start parsing Jesus as the "cure." Sorry, but sometimes real interventions are needed beyond religion. Yes, I am ever the pragmatist which makes for a shitty Person of Faith. :D

• Love 12

It’s a small group creating this fuss. All it has done is give us more exposure. We’ve gained 50,000 Facebook fans last week. God is expanding our borders through the national media.

This quote from Jim Bob, upthread, is nauseating. I grew up "in church" (Baptist), and it's this kind of thought that scared me far away from religion. It's cultlike--any challenge or questioning is taken as a direct threat.
  • Love 9

TLC may be done with 19 Kids and Counting, but the special tells me they aren't done with the Duggars and that Boob has carved out some kind of deal to keep the gravy train slogging along. He currently has 29 mouths including his own to feed. His huge brood depends on him for pretty much everything. He has to look out for his 19 kids -none of whom currently holds down a fulltime job and includes one, Josh, who would have a hell of a time finding work anywhere. Then there's Michelle, his mother, unemployed son-in-law Ben, recently unemployed and sometime missionary son-in-law Derick, grandchild Izzy, daughter-in-law Anna, grandchildren Mackynzie, Michael, and Marcus, plus two more babies due very soon. The show provided a steady income and lots of perks. Guaranteed Boob is not going to pack it in and fade into the sunset. He can't afford to. It's telling that TLC did not close the door on the Duggars. I think the special will be followed by an announcement that Jill and Jessa will be getting their own show. That will placate the leghumpers and allow Boob to remain involved behind the scenes as some sort of consultant. There's also the possibility that the Duggars will eventually be picked up by another network or will launch their own YouTube show. Guaranteed, however, that in one form or another, the Duggars will find a way to stay in the public eye. Fame is a strong narcotic and Boob and Co. are addicts.

• Love 15

Well this was nice to wake up to.

Makes me wonder though. 

1.Was the amount of time it took TLC to make what seemed to logically be the only decision based on letting certain contractual details be "clocked" out?   I have to believe that even with the help of the likes of Huckabee, TLC has much better legal than Hair and the Womb do. 

2.Whether 1 is remotely true or not, I also think that TLC was determined that not a penny more went the Duggars way than TLC wanted.  So lawsuits, no backlash.  No nothing. 

3.I wonder if the inclusion of the two girls was a sop thrown Hair and Womb's way to make them hurry up and sign their severance papers.  I don't see it so much as a way to keep them viable.  I think this way they include the very people who could make this documentary uncomfortable for TLC.  That way when it doesn't paint the Hair and Womb's parenting as Child Services' bestest parents ever in regards to molestation, they only have themselves to blame since they could not avoid the tiny little carrot TLC waves these attention trollope mules way.

4.I cannot believe that TLC hasn't had some idea of a documentary in the works.  Maybe even before all this and to repair any Honey BooBoo damage.    So it makes that luncheon between the Huckabee advisor who is helping the Duggars and that Dept employee.  It might be nothing.  But if this documentaray was in the works and it was dangled as some kind of exit interview that let the victims of this situation give the Duggars a final wave goodbye in a way that would be hard to criticize (for the record I don't like the idea of the girls being punished or grilled in any way -- I just wish any documentary used the Fox News interview and then had real experts explain why such words are themselves part of the abuse and never an "excuse".).  Makes me wonder if there was some interest in what the Gov't level heads were thinking in regards to the documentary.  Again, from TLC's end I don't think this documentary was sudden or very recent as a means to shore up their reputation (though airing something like Paralyzed and Pregnant makes the idea of TLC having some kind of rehab in the public's eye is rather silly).

5.I have to imagine before the decision was made there were some interesting calls between the sponsors and TLC's marketing and legal dept.  I do think TLC explored every option of keeping the show in some way.   Its all about the money.  And maybe it was a matter of days or maybe it took weeks, but I think before that tipping point where profitable became financially liable, the show's future was considered just on hold.   I doubt that the show, no matter how more reasonable to the Duggars due to ratings in terms of contractual benefits, didn't have an self destruct button the same as the Boo Boo show did.  So the fact that it was kept in stasis so long suggests to me that some people high up at TLC did not see it as "bad".  Which makes me shake my head.

6.I do wonder about Fox News.  I was shocked that the interviews went the way they did.  I know that the saying is in crises, Conservatives fall in line, liberals fall apart (not saying it is true just saying).  I did think, a small part of me, that in a Presidential Campaign cycle already in gear, they were setting the Duggars up for a fall,  Kelley would let them hang themselves in the interview while all smiles and nods and then inviscerate them in the followup a few nights later.  Instead it was the same old wagons drawn in a circle and no matter what no admission of wrong doing.   I was kind of shocked.  But shortly after the news about Murdoch made me wonder if Ablow had gotten the okay from the Murdoch fils to air his outrage.   On the very network that worked so hard to prop the Duggars up.

Right now I'm betting if Hair and Womb are checking the web to see if it is possible to place a new born infant inside Womb and pretend she gave birth to the holy twenty?  Because I can see them desperately trying to insert themselves back into the public any which way they can.

• Love 6
(edited)

I honestly think the documentary is gonna be some sort of attempt to transition 19 kids to something else, maybe something with Jessa and Jill, with the others (not Josh and Anna) as guest stars. They are saving face, but if it took so long to cancel the show it is because they were trying to figure out how to keep the train going, imo. I don’t trust TLC or The Duggars, tbh.

Edited by natyxg
  • Love 7

Call me a cynic (OK. You're a cynic), but I can see this turning into a "Breaking Duggar" spin-off. The two sisters who are in the doc will come clean about their creepy brother and admit that their parents put them up to this. Jim-Bob will exec produce, of course. The fame whoredom is strong with this one.

• Love 1

Call me a cynic (OK. You're a cynic), but I can see this turning into a "Breaking Duggar" spin-off. The two sisters who are in the doc will come clean about their creepy brother and admit that their parents put them up to this. Jim-Bob will exec produce, of course. The fame whoredom is strong with this one.

Part of me sees this as likely, but another part thinks that it couldn't possibly work this way.

I don't see how Jessa and Jill could really tell any form of the truth about what happened without completely alienating Boob and setting up a completely messed-up premise for any show that he'd helm. And if they did do it, it would require messing with the family dynamics in ways that I really don't think J and J are willing or able to do. For one thing, I see Jessa as very much a double-downer on every statement she makes. I can't really see her having any attitude but this one -- I told you that this was no big deal and thus it is no big deal in any way, shape or form, you heathens.  

Plus, I think the backlash against TLC would be horrible if they did this, particularly from the survivor groups and so on but also among the many who have wanted them off the air and are now super pleased that they are. I think a lot of people would see this kind of two-faced return as a stab in the back. With RAINN in the mix for the documentary, if TLC actually used that program to launch an additional platform for the basically still molestation-denying Duggars, the outcry would be huge, it seems to me, and sponsors would run again since a lot a lot a lot of women would be part of the backlash.

I would think TLC would anticipate this backlash and really not do this. ... Which is not to say that they aren't mulling a "Duggar Brides and Grooms" show down the line, say next year when J and J are both pregnant with their seconds and (Josiah and) Marjorie is pregnant with their first, or something. But I would think they'd have the sense to try to unhook any such show from the molestation issues as much as they could, so having it as a quick follow-on to the molestation special would be out, seems to me.

• Love 3

Okay, I'm heinously sleep-deprived (new puppy), but the fact that the ad that appears on this page is entitled "birth control alternative" made me laugh for an inappropriate length of time.

I do have one thing to thank the Duggars for...I finally got disgusted enough with television that I cut off my service. So DISH, if you're listening and you probably are, you can thank TLC for at least one 15-year customer giving up television.

• Love 10

But shortly after the news about Murdoch made me wonder if Ablow had gotten the okay from the Murdoch fils to air his outrage.   On the very network that worked so hard to prop the Duggars up.

I wondered about that too. Nobody else was lining to up to defend them (and it's not that often that their hosts break ranks on this kind of scandal), and Kelly's 'defense' of them was, essentially, what Josh did was terrible and they handled it wrong, but the liberal media wouldn't care about the terrible thing Josh did if a liberal did it. They had the girls repeating a talking point about being "revictimized" in the midst of trying to say they didn't feel like victims. 

I don't think Fox gives a damn about the Duggars. I think they wanted people who saw the pictures of Josh at CPAC with essentially the entire Republican presidential field to vaguely remember that there was some predatory liberal media component to the scandal and dismiss it.

• Love 10

I don't think Jim Bob will go quietly into that dark, TV-showless night. I think there'll be plenty of tweeting, Instagraming and YouTubing going on in the future. Because they have to get their message out to the world, y'know.

Aren't computers evil? Like books and schools and pants?

• Love 5

It depends.  Sending out via the internet?  Fine.  Pics of baby bumps which show how perfect they are because they can emulate even the most basic mammal and simply breed?  Good.  Looking up the advantages of pro-creating in ways that lead to happy and healthy families?  Bad bad bad.  Sending out videos about how piously noble you are for simply throwing yourself into some mission without considering that maybe an infant demands more from the mission than what you in turn are giving it?  Damn fine skippy.  Using the web to eplore areas that can use extra hands but aren't high risk or just strained in a way that another infant added to the mix makes it a demand?  Well that is just Satan dancing his waltz of evil!

Good?  Anything that imposes the notion that not only are Hair and the Womb good?  But better than you and I are or ever will be (but they do want us to try,  or at least try by simply admiring them); well that makes the computer the messaging harp of an angel. 

But taking anything in that might show they aren't all that?  Even if it is a recipe that doesn't use a can?  Well you might as well weave a tapestry of demonic prophecy in the Devil's pubes than open that laptop (free through promotional deals dontcha know).

• Love 8

I agree,having the two daughters appear in something is tlcs way of keeping their foot in the door.

Except that Jilly Muff and Jessa plus their husbands are the most boring people ever and have nothing interesting to say or do.

• Love 18