Type keyword(s) to search

"In A World....." Movie and TV Show Trailers

• Start Topic

It really annoys me when Clark Kent gives Bruce Wayne shit about vigilante justice in the ads for the new movie. Because the last time we saw him as Superman, he was engaged in a summary execution.

• Love 1

Edwards was the first Brit to compete in Olympic® ski jumping. He was pretty crappy at the actual sport (and knew it,) but had such a great personality, people loved him.

That's how much I forgot about him. I don't remember him being a poor skier, just super near-sighted.

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 1

The ad for Sacha Baron Cohen's latest movie breathlessly proclaims it "better than Borat!" Really? In that case it might even be better than Gigli and Battlefield Earth too!

The marketing for this movie is SO BIZARRE. I mean, I'm fairly certain I won't like it (and it appears to have tanked) but every TV ad I saw for it was really hitting hard the Sascha Baron Cohen angle. IT'S HIM. THIS IS A SPY MOVIE WITH ONE OF HIS GOOFY CHARACTERS, OKAY? and the ad just coasts on making it look that stupid.

But then I went to the movies and saw the full trailer in the theater and it seemed like a totally different flick. Now, I'm no stranger to the notion that you re-edit a trailer and can make anything seem like a totally different movie, but like, doesn't the distributor have a sort of party line they're trying to use so people know what they're getting? Or trick people into thinking they're getting whatever will sell better even if that's not what it is?

Because what I saw in the theater made this just seem like a straight up action flick, and some goofy moments of silly comedy to break the tension, and PS SBC is playing one of the brothers. The TV ad makes it seem sort of Borat Plays Spy. The in-cinema trailer makes it seems more like "Kingsmen but about brothers and namedrop is in it too if that does anything for ya."

I know nothing about this movie whatsoever, but I wonder if one ad is meant to appeal to Sacha Baron Cohen fans and the other is meant to appeal to action fans. Which isn't exactly that strange.  They'll make an ad that showcases the kids in a movie and show it during Saturday morning cartoons (or whatever kids are watching these days) and then one that showcases the adults and show it in the evening, and you'd never know it was the same movie, other than the title.  Were you seeing an action movie when you saw the trailer? 

Well, yes, and I'm not unfamiliar with the concept, but usually at least in the past where I've seen the two versions there is some sort of overlap. Sure they'll be edited to emphasize different angles, but I've never before had the experience where you almost could've convinced me it was an entirely different film from one ad to the next. I do think

one ad is meant to appeal to Sacha Baron Cohen fans and the other is meant to appeal to action fans.

is exactly what they were doing. One version completely played up the SBC aspect (and pretty much only that) and the other almost seemed to be trying to glaze over it, and they suggested completely different tones for the movie.

I guess what I mean is it was the degree that threw me off, not the notion that they'd do such a thing.

Open Letter To The Programming Director At The WE Network:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Although I appreciate your efforts in bringing Law & Order into my home on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, I am beyond tired of the promo for Kendra On Top, and I long for the season premier of the show so that I will no longer be subjected to this woman saying that her mother "took the tears off my face and sold them" during every,single.commercial.break. WTF does that even mean, since I can only presume that she doesn't mean it literally? If she does mean it literally, that is another matter, and one I do not care to dwell on. Regardless, you should have gotten a better editor to work on your promotional material. I realize you are a second-tier network at best, but if you can afford to produce the show, you can certainly afford to encourage people to watch it in a more effective fashion.

Regard,

Cobalt Stargazer

• Love 4

Open Letter To The Programming Director At The WE Network:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Although I appreciate your efforts in bringing Law & Order into my home on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, I am beyond tired of the promo for Kendra On Top, and I long for the season premier of the show so that I will no longer be subjected to this woman saying that her mother "took the tears off my face and sold them" during every,single.commercial.break. WTF does that even mean, since I can only presume that she doesn't mean it literally? If she does mean it literally, that is another matter, and one I do not care to dwell on. Regardless, you should have gotten a better editor to work on your promotional material. I realize you are a second-tier network at best, but if you can afford to produce the show, you can certainly afford to encourage people to watch it in a more effective fashion.

Regard,

Cobalt Stargazer

I love this, could you write something similar to make the Duggers go away?

• Love 5

I am beyond tired of the promo for Kendra On Top, and I long for the season premier of the show so that I will no longer be subjected to this woman saying that her mother "took the tears off my face and sold them" during every,single.commercial.break. WTF does that even mean, since I can only presume that she doesn't mean it literally? If she does mean it literally, that is another matter, and one I do not care to dwell on.

I have visions of her mother opening a specialty restaurant in South Park for people like Eric Cartman who love the sweet, sweet taste of tears.

• Love 1

He's been trying to stretch his acting range.

So he'll be doing something other than saying "woah", screaming, walking dramatically, staring off into the distance, and standing in front of explosions? Woah.

• Love 1

So he'll be doing something other than saying "woah", screaming, walking dramatically, staring off into the distance, and standing in front of explosions? Woah.

Probably not - this is a cat, after all.

• Love 4

Probably not - this is a cat, after all.

A cat in a movie that is supposedly a parody of a Keanu Reeves movie that Reeves has reportedly done voice work for.  So I'm thinking the cat might actually say "whoa".

• Love 4

Hey, CW-watchers! Have you heard? There's a limited series called Contagion and it's going to be aired on the CW. This Tuesday. In case you have missed all versions of the ads played almost on a loop during every break.

I understand the need to promote the series, but once an ad break is fine.  Like the weirdly placed promos for iZombie's finale  being aired during the finale and encouraging us to watch a show we were already watching.

• Love 2

Like the weirdly placed promos for iZombie's finale  being aired during the finale and encouraging us to watch a show we were already watching.

They were trying to catch channel flippers, but yeah, if they did their job right, anyone interested in the show would have already known that it was going to be a two-hour finale that started an hour earlier than usual.

• Love 1

A cat in a movie that is supposedly a parody of a Keanu Reeves movie that Reeves has reportedly done voice work for.  So I'm thinking the cat might actually say "whoa".

I expect that the cat will be jumping on a couch at some point.

• Love 1

The trailer is a little confusing, since I'm not sure if it's a Veronica Mars type thing or if it chronicles the main character's rise and eventual fall, but it should at least be unintentionally amusing since Alice Braga is like thisbig.

The most anticipated question to be raised by So You Think You Can Dance promos this season.  If you are a little kid and you throw up on Paula Abdul, are you more or less likely to make the show.  Ah, the drama.  The puke.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Did I imagine seeing a trailer for yet another Purge movie?

Nope, it's real.  It's about a (young, beautiful) Senator running for President on a platform of ending the Purge, who gets caught up in it.

On 6/6/2016 at 3:25 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

Nope, it's real.  It's about a (young, beautiful) Senator running for President on a platform of ending the Purge, who gets caught up in it.

Elizabeth Mitchell is undeniably gorgeous, but she's 46. Not all that young.

So a critical blurb on an ad for The Conjuring 2 stated that the movie is, "The best sequel ever." Unless we've suddenly shifted to an alternate universe where The Godfather II doesn't exist, I don't think so. (Not to mention The Road Warrior, The Empire Strikes Back, T2, Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan or The Dark Knight)

• Love 2

As I see the commercials for Animal Kingdom eleventy seven times a day, all I can think is that it looks like a low rent Sons of Anarchy.  Which I only watched if I were passing through while my husband was watching Netflix.  But that's just the vibe I get from their interminable ads.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

As I see the commercials for Animal Kingdom eleventy seven times a day, all I can think is that it looks like a low rent Sons of Anarchy.  Which I only watched if I were passing through while my husband was watching Netflix.  But that's just the vibe I get from their interminable ads.

OMG yes! Every time Ellen Barkin speaks, it reeks of Gemma Teller 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

It's based on an Australian movie, starring Jacki Weaver, who got an Oscar nomination for it.

(edited)
8 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

So a critical blurb on an ad for The Conjuring 2 stated that the movie is, "The best sequel ever." Unless we've suddenly shifted to an alternate universe where The Godfather II doesn't exist, I don't think so. (Not to mention The Road Warrior, The Empire Strikes Back, T2, Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan or The Dark Knight)

I'm pretty sure they say "best horror sequel." 

Edited by janie jones
17 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

(Not to mention The Road Warrior, The Empire Strikes Back, T2, Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan or The Dark Knight)

Empire Strikes Back and Wrath of Khan suffer from their continued-in-next-movie story aspects. In the horror category, I'd suggest American Psycho 2.

13 hours ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

The sequel to Independence Day looks like hot garbage...

Funny, you know what annoys me most about that movie? They recast Mae Whitman as Whitmore's daughter. That's pretty much Hollywood in a nutshell.

On 6/10/2016 at 9:43 PM, spaceytraci1208 said:

The sequel to Independence Day looks like hot garbage...

Yep.  So was the original and I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm thinking we could have a thread just for inappropriate song choices in commercials by now. Last night when I was watching TV, a commercial for PetSmart came on, and it involved some tie-in to a new animated movie. The animated dog walked through PetSmart to the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil". Sigh.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AGrz/petsmart-the-secret-life-of-pets

bilgistic, here is one of the trailers for that movie, The Secret Life Of Pets