Type keyword(s) to search

"In A World....." Movie and TV Show Trailers

• Start Topic

Television is inundated with trailers for the latest Hollywood-Hyped blockbuster hopeful and/or "New Hit Show!" bullshit to the point that one of two things usually happens - either a seething hatred develops for them prior to the release date or premiere, or they develop an Über-Brigade of Fandom that can drive non-fans to the brink of insanity.

Bitch or Rave about them here!!

The commercial for Resurrection - the music is haunting so you know something bad will happen.  Even though I've seen the commercial 1,000 times, I'm still leery that the next time it airs, something horrific will show up on screen.  I'm a sissy.

(edited)

I'm glad that there is a newer Guardians of the Galaxy trailer; it shows Glen Close as the leader of the "cops" who captured Our Heroes in the first trailer(Nova Prime of the Nova Corps). It's just a quick cut, but I'm glad it was added!

I hope this counts, but when I saw the new X-Men movie, there was a trailer of a new movie starring Damon Wayans, Jr. and Jake Johnson called Let's Be Cops. It looks like a stupid-funny movie (which there's room for in the grand Cineplex of life), but no. At least, not until the dollar movie run. So, hardcore New Girl fans can look forward to that coming soon to a theater near them.

I will be glad when Groundhog Day with weapons, aka Edge of Tomorrow is finally released. So over the ads. (DH asked me when they decided to make a movie of that soap opera. I had to correct him that that was The Edge of Night. Love that guy!)

Edited by Actionmage

When I watch tv at night, I don't expect to have the bejeebers scared out of me during commercial breaks. I have never been a fan of horror movies (even the parody ones that the wayans brothers do). I have an extremely active imagination and live alone. Thanks, Adult Swim.

• Love 4

When I see that ads for The Fault in our Stars (or whatever) all I can see how eerily similar the two leads looks. They seriously look like they could be fraternal twins. I don't want to watch a movie where people who look like sibling make out.

Then be sure you never watch Moment by Moment. Seriously, Lily Tomlin and John Travolta have the same haircut and look unexpectedly identical in it. It may even have been intentional, but it's unnerving.

• Love 4

When I see that ads for The Fault in our Stars (or whatever) all I can see how eerily similar the two leads looks. They seriously look like they could be fraternal twins. I don't want to watch a movie where people who look like sibling make out.

They played brother & sister in Divergent.

I saw a preview for the new "Gracepoint" TV series, which is an American remake of "Broadchurch".  David Tennant, star of "Broadchurch", is starring in it.  Hearing him do an American accent is just blowing my mind.

• Love 1

I saw a trailer for a new movie called Lucy last night, which seems to be Resident Evil-ish. It stars Morgan Freeman and Scarlett Johanssen, and ScarJo is apparently some kind of genetically modified assassin or something. I'm bummed because it doesn't open until the end of July, and I'm already looking forward to it.

I thought Lucy was a distaff version of Bradley Cooper's Limitless: something is taken/implanted and the star's brain capacity is mega-hyped. I will say that Lucy has me more intrigued than Limitless, though.  It seems to be taking it's sci-fi with a bit more sci in its fi.

Lucy is about a woman who is forced to be a drug mule.  Some sort of experimental drug is surgically implanted into her and she's ordered to deliver it to the US, but it breaks in the meantime and causes the brain advancement the movie deals with.  It isn't genetic modification and it isn't anything she takes.

The ad annoys me, because it is a myth that we only use 10% of our brain. How can you premise a whole movie on a myth that has been thoroughly debunked?

Yeah, but it's an old trope, so I'm willing to let it slide (especially since the movie looks frikkin' awesome).  YMMV, of course....

• Love 1

How can you premise a whole movie on a myth that has been thoroughly debunked?

Easy; they do it all the time. The movie Double Jeopardy based its whole story on a completely wrong understanding of "you can't be tried twice for the same crime" that has never been true.

• Love 1

Wait, what? Double jeopardy isn't a real thing?

Sure it is, but I doubt being falsely convicted of killing someone who faked their own death gives you free reign to murder that person after you've served your time. (Sorry for spoiling a 20-year-old movie for you.)

Hey, we're kinda veering off-topic here. Let's try to stick to discussing the trailers here, and save the movie talk for the appropriate forum, m'kay?

• Love 2

The new Guardians of the Galaxy ad has "Cherry Bomb" instead of "Hooked On A Feeling" as the music bed. I got used to the ooga-chakas, but I am now glad that there's something else to get stuck in my head for about two months.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!!  ::crazy raccoon laugh::

• Love 2

Not that the over-monied likes of Winfrey or Spielberg care about my one ticket; but if it wasn't for the cast, director and the fact I thought the book was a cute fun light if predictable read that I figured would make a good summer movie when I read it?  Winfrey flapping her lips as if The Hundred-Foot-Journey is some kind of profound life changing philosophical ideology makes my stomach churn.  What a silly cow she is.  I swear her whole unlocking the meaning of life gullibility could have someone with the right amount of moxie selling her a box of Life cereal and making millions of this fool with too much money.  It always amazes me how people can make such successes in life and still be so damn determined to wear their anus as a neck warmer.

And do they really need to sit as producers essentially telling you that the main reason to go to the movie is because of them?!  Not a movie based on a successful trade ppbk.  A book that also trades in a timely manner similar themes of cultural divide that the successful Marigold Hotel movie (and its coming sequel) drew audiences to see more than once.  Not a movie directed by the same man who directed Chocolat in a similar movie for fans?   Not the fabulous Helen Mirren? 

I just wish there was some way I could buy my ticket and have the stub shipped to these two fools and tell them I'm going to the movie in spite of them.  Not because.  So I hope they spent a shit load of money they didn't have to to make sure they could sit and stroke each other's egos on camera.

• Love 3

The ad annoys me, because it is a myth that we only use 10% of our brain. How can you premise a whole movie on a myth that has been thoroughly debunked?

I can accept the premise, even though I know it is false. What annoys me is that if you managed to turbo charge your brain, you still wouldn't be able to throw people across the room with the flick of a finger like some kind of psychic ninja.

• Love 3

I hate the fact that in the current crop of cop shows there's always at least one extra special snowflake who's a super genius, has "photographic" memory, can solve partial differential equations in their head, is an ultra-l33t hacker, or some other such nonsense. The producers of Scorpion have apparently decided that I need to be driven to suicide, because their crime solving/anti-terror team is composed entirely of the extra special snowflakes. I am not going to watch it.

• Love 1

I was watching stuff on the CW site. I kept having to bring something else over the screen because the ad for Annabelle ( a sequel/prequel/whatever-quell to The Conjuring).  I have also tried to avoid it during regular tv viewing.

1) That lead woman is insane. She loves the doll?! Even if she was being polite, she was too polite about that nasty-looking thing.

2) (creepy whisper-talk) "I like your doll." Take it and get the hell outta my house! Geez!

3) If the woman had to wait to get rid of the ugly doll until it was inexplicibly moving from room to room? She's too dumb to read or go to a library or a spiritual leader of any stripe and has earned her pain.

Granted, my impatience may be because between not actually watching the ad and turning the sound down a lot of times, I was subjected to this ad about eleventy jillion times today. I have no time for this woman.

eta:  Hey, folks behind the Jane The Virgin ads? Maybe I would feel more for Xiomara in the newer ad(s) if every. single.ad. to date did not include Alba, the grandmother, haranguing Jane about her virginity. When Xiomara looks hurt due to where Jane's sentence was seeming to go, while understandable, Xiomara shouldn't be hurt due to Jane, but her own mother! Apparently, Jane was told that message since the womb.  Intention fail, ad crew. I feel bad for Xiomara, but not due to Jane, not in the slightest.  Yes, Alba is teased to come around to whatever and being accepting of Jane and the impending baby. Yet the main view we get of her is as a harridan.  Not cool. There is a middle ground between "fearing for her granddaughter's future" and libertine/hedonist. 

Yes, the show hasn't started yet, and yes, the characters need to change over the pilot/series, but to be a hairbreadths away from a caricature? Not needed. Especially in the ads designed to bring people to the show. I still am unsure if I even want to tune in when it does air.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

Bringing this over here because this is where it's relevant.

The latest "Truth" anti-smoking ad makes me wonder what they are smoking.

Firstly, they tell us not to post selfies that have been taken while we are smoking (because it would be free advertising for the tobacco companies), then they show us a bunch of pictures of people smoking. So it's a case of "Don't do it, and we're going to do it right now." Yeah, that'll show 'em!

Secondly, they play some cool sounding music during the ad, as if they were trying to make smoking look cool by giving the pictures a nifty soundtrack.

Now I'm kind of tempted to go find some pictures of people who are smoking so I can repost them.

They ran one of those in a trailer when I went to see The Boxtrolls today, and I was sitting there all WTF. Why are they telling me to not do what they're doing?

The Dracula Untold commercials don't look at all promising. Tons of CGI, loads of current Hollywood cliches, hardly any entertainment value. More like Dracula Unwatchable.

The latest one I saw had him blowing up an army by pointing his hands and zapping them with a huge swarm of apparently explosive bats. If you want to make a Lord of the Rings-esque fantasy movie about an evil wizard, why bother tacking the Dracula name onto it?

• Love 1

I know the answer to that one. They can get more people attending by calling it Dracula Untold than they could if they called it Illstar the Unpleasant or some such, and it costs them nothing because Dracula is public domain.

ETA: There's a parody ad for Annabelle running on Adult Swim right now, and it goes something like this (paraphrased):

Announcer: "It's here; the sequel to the movie that made you pee your pants a little bit..."

(shows a few seconds of ominous footage)

Announcer: "...and it will make you crap yourself."

(shows a few seconds of "OMG scary" footage)

Announcer: "I crapped myself a little just now."

Too funny.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 3

a parody ad for Annabelle running on Adult Swim

See, parody ads, I can enjoy. Like during Grindhouse, all the spoofy trailers like Machete and Don't.

As much as I actually do enjoy Robert Downey,Jr. and Robert Duvall, I was dreading The Judge for all the ads. Now they are here delivering more stone-faced Old Man Duval and Smart-ass Downey.

Ouija is part of the deal that got Battleship made, right? If so, I am still waiting for Candyland.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

Ouija is part of the deal that got Battleship made, right? If so, I am still waiting for Candyland.

That reminds me of Robot Chicken's take on game-based movies:

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 1

Hollywood should just give up on this; nothing will rival the game-board-to-screen perfection that is Clue!

• Love 3

Until the DVD goes on sale :(

Arghhhhhhhhhhh.  It has.  It has.

When the Game Stands Tall is a great movie with the worst commercials ever.  It's like they don't want you to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Ykj7g-HvE

I can't find the original commercial they released but based on the trailers and commercials, I'd never have gone to see it.  It's as much about football as Brian's Song was. 

• Love 1

The Dracula Untold commercials don't look at all promising. Tons of CGI, loads of current Hollywood cliches, hardly any entertainment value. More like Dracula Unwatchable.

I've been calling it Dracula Untrue.

Edited by mmecorday
  • Love 1

I haven't seen much on ABC yet hyping it, but I follow Tim O on Twitter and have seen his many posts about the filming. It looks fantastic, IMO, but I am not going to get my hopes up because much of the general viewing public doesn't have the same opinion of what constitutes "brilliantly funny and life changing and worth every minutes of your viewing time" that I have.

• Love 2