Type keyword(s) to search

One Hit Wonders: Characters Who Were Only In One Episode But You Want To See Again

• Start Topic

They were only in one episode but you thought the were cool, funny, awesome,

etc or even wanted to see again.

Like for me one would be Jessup who was in the Castle episode Love Me

Dead. Or Castle's Spy friend in Fool Me Once.

• Love 1

Mine definitely is (legendary Oscar-nominated actor) James Caan. He appeared in 1 episode of the 2nd season of the current Hawaii Five-0 reboot--in which his eldest son, Scott Caan, stars as Danny "Danno" Williams. But he didn't play a relative of Danny's, as you might've expected. He played a character named Tony Archer, a retired NYPD cop turned Honolulu Private Eye, whose best friend (played by actor/comedian/conservative political pundit, of sorts, Dennis Miller) was the ep's "victim of the week". Archer insinuated his way into helping Five-0 with the case (basically, he wouldn't take no for an answer), & his scenes with the team members--especially those with son Scott Caan's character--were memorable, in my opinion. I really hope the character will make a return visit sometime.

• Love 3
(edited)

I loved that one James Caan is one of my favorite actors and it was a really good

episode. An early NCIS episode had the whole same group but working at the

police station. I always thought it would be great to see them again maybe develop

them as a police contact.

From the Closer, where they are investigating the murders at marijuana shop and one of the

witnesses is high. He's really funny and very, happy. Since he was high he didn't find it all

strange that the murderers got into their car wearing helmets. And remembers the license

play numbers it was..California.

Flashpoint had a lot of really good acting from people only on for one episode.

Leverage, in one of the later episodes where their trying to get their mark to do something

heroic Eliot's mugging Parker, their mark walks right on by without a care but who comes

to Parker's 'rescue'? An elderly lady smacking Eliot with her umbrella. Its funny and

kind of awesome.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2

Navi Rawat played some random girl in one later episode of Justified, hooking Raylan up with some evidence or something.  They flirted and joked around a bit and had some great chemistry with Timothy Olyphant.  I actually thought we'd see her again due to how large her bit role was, but sadly it was never to be.

Elementary creates characters like this all the time. I don't even know how they do it, but they had a turtle (an actual real life turtle) in one episode, who was so popular, he's become a recurring character. But it's true of their one-off human characters too, very frequently. There was a random geologist who analyzed a bit of evidence as a consultant and I have no idea why she was so memorable but I keep hoping they'll bring her back. I can't even remember all the different instances of this, but it happens a lot that there will be someone who appears in a scene or two, a witness or a consultant or a passerby, and they stick in my mind and become more fascinating than the case of the week or the people in the regular ensemble. It's a kind of writing/acting/casting/directing genius I've never seen on any other show.

• Love 4

Elementary creates characters like this all the time.  It's a kind of writing/acting/casting/directing genius I've never seen on any other show.

I'd include Mrs Hudson (a rare instance of a trans actor/actress playing a trans character -- and with just a brief mention, not the whole of her character) as a character I really want to see again (I was coming to this topic to post about her even before I saw your post).  But all the minor characters are great.

Brooklyn 99 does this too.  Characters with one line fit so perfectly into the show -- it's incredible.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

In the "Alpine Fields" episode of season 2 The Sarah Connor Chronicles, there's a teenage character, Lauren, that ends the episode going into hiding with a gun and a newborn baby (her sister). I remember really wanting to see more of her adventures evading SkyNet.

On the comedy side, Stanley Fitzroy from the "... vs the Tic Tac" episode of Chuck, who made the most of his short screentime -- that ended with him getting punched in the face by one of the agents he admired. (And he was helping!)  I really wanted to see a follow up to that.

• Love 1

One of the many mothers-to-be on Call The Midwife was an poor, unmarried East End teen named Avril who completely won me over with her fearlessness and guts. She had of course fabricated an entire story about herself, but it was one she was determined to live up to. "I am a fabulous, fashionable, modern girl wearing a mink hat. Okay, it's not really mink but will be some day. If the rest of you are too cowed and beaten down to speak up against the abuse this wretched home for unwed mothers is visiting upon you, well, just give me 2-3 days and I'll bring the place to its knees."

Many viewers wanted to see her incorporated into the series as a regular.

• Love 3

One of the many mothers-to-be on Call The Midwife was an poor, unmarried East End teen named Avril who completely won me over with her fearlessness and guts. She had of course fabricated an entire story about herself, but it was one she was determined to live up to. "I am a fabulous, fashionable, modern girl wearing a mink hat. Okay, it's not really mink but will be some day. If the rest of you are too cowed and beaten down to speak up against the abuse this wretched home for unwed mothers is visiting upon you, well, just give me 2-3 days and I'll bring the place to its knees."

Many viewers wanted to see her incorporated into the series as a regular.

I remember her.  She made such a strong impression.  Didn't like her at the beginning of the ep but loved her by the end. 

• Love 2

Aaron and his golem on Supernatural ("Everybody Hates Hitler", if you're curious.  Hal Linden was good in that one, too.)

Which reminds me, I'd like to see Fred Jones (Mike Farrell) from "Hunteri Heroici" again.

SPN is pretty good at these one-off characters.

Captain Yao on The Expanse. I was hoping for a new BSG where all the characters jumped off the screen for me but here, she is the only character that made a lasting impression on me. I've only seen 4 episodes but

I mourn her demise.

• Love 1

There was an episode of Adventures of Pete and Pete in which the younger title character sold their house to this other family- and the mother was a Stepford Wife archetype played to chilling perfection by (of all people) Patricia Hearst [!] ! I mean she seemed as though she could easily choke a  random person with one of her homemade brownies as look at them and NEVER lose her barn door smile!  

• Love 3

On Atlanta, season 2 episode Barbershop.  Paperboi's barber Bibby is a one off character, never before seen but the episode revolves around him and the actor who played Bibby made the entire episode a complete riot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Hands down, my favorite one-and-done guest spot character for Quantum Leap was Edie, the model in 1965 that Sam has to save from an overdose. She was played incredibly well and I thought she was such a fully-realized, layered character. I'm kind of surprised the actress didn't really do much beyond some spots in shows and a few t.v. movies in the 90's and early 2000's. I'd add Beth, but she does technically make another appearance on the show during the series finale.

Also, Amanda Piser on 90210. What a glorious bitch.

• Love 2

When I used to watch iZombie, pretty much all of Liv's boyfriends. They used to cast these really cute actors who had great chemistry with Rosie McIver -- then kill them off! It was so disappointing. Not sure what's happening on the show now as I stopped watching awhile ago.

• Love 1

She'd later hit the heights of fame (and infamy) as Marie Barone in Everybody Loves Raymond but the late Doris Roberts had been ROCKING the small screen for decades playing a wide variety of one-shot characters.

Perhaps my fave one had her play an employment agent named Helen Farrell who actually one-ups Phyllis Lindstrom on Mary Tyler Moore ('Phyllis Whips Inflation'). Anyway, Phyllis comes in with virtually no qualifications but thinks she can charm  Miss Farrell to give her a dream job straight away but the hardboiled Miss Farrell has other ideas.

Namely, when she sees the ideal job that has no experience necessary but with a then-high salary, Miss Farrell calls the employer and tells them that she has " a bright, intelligent, charming woman who'd like to apply for that job. . . She'll be right over! Her name? Helen Farrell!" then walks out the agency door leaving Phyllis still jobless! LOL

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7

She hit the heights of fame via her legendary character of Blanche Devereaux  in Golden Girls (and did what the best that could have been done  with it via the bummer Golden Palace) but afterwards Rue McClanahan would only due one-shots,TV and off-Broadway theater until her death in 2010. 

However; one memorable role was playing Cory, Eric and Morgan's paternal grandmother Bernice Matthews in Boy Meets World 'Grandma Was a Rolling Stone'(1993) at age 59.  Bernice was definitely a free spirit who traveled the land in her own Winnebago and regaled her grandkids with presents and stories. She even gave Cory a Cal Ripkin, Jr. baseball card then promised him to take him to a baseball convention to have Mr. Ripkin personally autograph it for her grandson! In anticipation, Cory blew off Alan's fishing trip with him and Shawn to wait for Bernice. Alas, Bernice failed to show up and Alan consoled Cory about how Bernice had also failed to sign a permission slip  for him to go on a field trip to meet astronauts and he was the only one in his class to miss that trip. However, Alan mentioned that Bernice DID soon take them on a road trip to Cape Canaveral to watch a space launch and no one else in his class had  had that experience. In other words, Bernice was a relative one couldn't truly rely on but when she DID come through, it was special. Later Bernice came by to apologize for letting Cory down and promised him she would make it up to him. Also, Bernice got into an argument with Mr. Feeny about his flowers and wound up running over them in her Winnebago- though even with that there seemed hints that this same-generation couple could somehow get together. Yes, for being a one-shot, the late Miss McClanahan had excellent chemistry with all the regulars here and the script seemed to hint that she'd return if not become a semi-regular, but, for whatever reasons, that was not to be and this was  be her only appearance on the show.

BTW, Miss McClanahan and Mr. Daniels HAD starred as husband and wife tycoons whose jaded hearts got melted by the title character of  the 1987 TV movie of The Little Match Girl (who had an infinitely happier ending than the literary inspiration). 

• Love 7

Father Frank from Lucifer S1.  Yes he’s dead, but maybe God can bring Frank’s spirit with him when he pays a visit in S5.  We need another FF/Lucifer jam session.

Drew Carey’s character last season on NCIS.  Drew was amazing in the role.

• Love 4

The cute (until you made him angry) but troublesome creature in Samurai Jack from the episode Jack and the Creature. I was hoping it would show up again in the final season when the show revisited characters from previous episodes, but nope.

And this is a cheat since I think the character actually appeared in 2 episodes, but I'm rewatching Hannibal and it reminded me how annoyed I was when the delightful Raúl Esparza wasn't able to return to Pushing Daisies so the show paired Kristen Chenowith's character with David Arquette instead.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

image.thumb.png.e67f310941da442aab67c96db88eee5a.png

^ The answer to this question will forever be Zoe Hawkes, from the Criminal Minds episode "Zoe's Reprise" (S04E15), played by Amy Davidson, she of Eight and a Half Rules fame.

I've seen tons of characters who have appeared once and I've quite enjoyed them, but none of them struck me like Zoe did. Zoe was an aspiring criminology student (of which school the show didn't specify) who lived in Cleveland. One of the show's main characters- David Rossi (Joe Mantegna) was in town doing a book signing to promote one of his books, and Zoe was among those attending the signing.

Of course, Zoe was more than just a big fan of Rossi (who was famous in-universe). She was an amateur sleuth who suspected there was a serial killer roaming around town. Zoe wanted to raise the subject with Rossi at the signing, to which Rossi replied by giving her his card.

She was cute, she was adorable. Determined. Strong but vulnerable at the same time. She had that steely resolve where she knew she was right, as well as the intuition and the vision to see what others missed and put it all together, but she lacked the confidence in herself to really express what she found and not allow her doubts to creep in.

In what is a bit of an anomaly for the show, Zoe was remarkably well-written, but she also had a fantastic portrayal by Davidson that brought out even more layers to the character than the script laid out.

In short, here was a character I could watch, again and again, follow along and be instantly hooked into her adventures and tribulations. This wasn't just a character good for an arc or even to become a series regular...this was a character, I'm convinced, you could wrap an entire series around.

Spoiler

...and the show responded by having her unceremoniously murdered after the first act by the very serial killer she was hunting. I mean, yeah, she turned out to be right and her dead body wound up providing the clue that put the killer away, but gosh what a waste. It's the one episode of the series I refuse to rewatch because I loved Zoe Hawkes too much.

So that's my entry into the world of missed opportunities. I perhaps can't rag on CM too much for missing that opportunity, because the structure of the show being a "case of the week" involves the creation of a lot of "one-off" characters, and it's not easy bringing those characters back. Plus you can't always anticipate which characters the audience will want to see again and which ones the audience will be happy with in seeing them once.

Still, it doesn't make the sting of not being able to see again a character you fell in love with. I got into writing CM fanfics just to revive Zoe and give her the stories I felt she deserved, but that only goes so far. One day I hope Zoe can be actually reprised in some way, because Zoe- and Davidson as well- deserves her due.

In short, in honour of the character that inspired me to (figuratively) pick up a pen and write, my submission here is Zoe Hawkes.

• Love 7

Paul Drake’s secretary Margo in the Perry Mason series. She was only in one scene in the first season (1.20 The Case of The Lonely Heiress), but she was everything I would have thought Paul Drake’s secretary would have to be and had a great rapport with him.

I’m still peeved she never appeared again.

• Love 3

Seinfeld:  George's girlfriend who worked for the tax dept, wore knitting needles in her hair, and liked to work with papier-mache. What a great actress!!  It bugged me that they only used her in one episode. She would've been a better match for Kramer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Seinfeld:  George's girlfriend who worked for the tax dept, wore knitting needles in her hair, and liked to work with papier-mache. What a great actress!!  It bugged me that they only used her in one episode. She would've been a better match for Kramer.

Patrice, played by Valerie Mahaffey.  I had to look up the actor's name, as I just know her face - from Women of the House, a recurring character from an important story arc on ER, an absolutely horrid mother in an episode of SVU, and small supporting roles in a couple of big movies.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Patrice, played by Valerie Mahaffey.  I had to look up the actor's name, as I just know her face - from Women of the House, a recurring character from an important story arc on ER, an absolutely horrid mother in an episode of SVU, and small supporting roles in a couple of big movies.

Mahaffey has made a great career playing memorable recurring characters on a lot of series.  I first remember seeing her playing Eve on Northern Exposure in the early 90's.  I believe she won an Emmy for that one.

Currently. she has a recurring role as Christina Applegate's mother in law on Dead to Me where she is also terrific..

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 8/22/2021 at 3:06 AM, Danielg342 said:

In short, here was a character I could watch, again and again, follow along and be instantly hooked into her adventures and tribulations. This wasn't just a character good for an arc or even to become a series regular...this was a character, I'm convinced, you could wrap an entire series around.

Yes!  I was so disappointed with what they did to her character.  I could totally see her as someone who Rossi checked up on from time to time, helped her while she was in college and maybe even have her as an intern with the group.  She didn't have to become a regular cast member, but to see her occasionally throughout the series would have been nice.

• Love 5

Detective Paul Guardino from the Barney Miller episode, "Hair" (1975).  Played by Michael Lembeck, he was a transfer from Narcotics and was set to work at the one-two with the rest of Barney's squad, which of course annoyed him greatly as he preferred to work alone.  He is of course dressed like the kind of people he would typically bust:  long hair, beard, hat and oversized jacket.  Barney tells him he'll need to fit in with the rest of the group and shave and dress appropriately.  When we next see him, he looks, well, adorable!  One of the jokes was of course was that Guardino had a baby face and nobody would take him seriously when making an arrest.  Barney of course denies that.  Guardino pulls his gun and yells, "Freeze!  Police!!"  only for Yemana to laugh at him!

Eventually, he and Chano (Gregory Sierra) go out on a call and are nearly killed by an abusive husband with a gun.  When we next see them, both are in the hospital, as Chano tells Barney what happened.  He said Guardino saved his life by pushing him down the stairs (breaking his arm) and taking a bullet.  Eventually, Guardino confesses to Barney he was trying to run when he saw the shooter and happened to push Chano out of the way.  Eventually, he asks Barney to reassigned him back to Narcotics.  We never see the character again.  

I think this could have been a missed opportunity.  First, the baby face jokes (heaven knows there are real life cops who have the same issue of initial credibility), then there's the task of Guardino having to learn to work with the other detectives since he was used to working alone.  The character was also a Vietnam vet like Wojo and eventually he would have found something in common with each of the guys.  I also hated that it was revealed that Guardino ran, and his saving Chano was more of an accident of circumstance than true bravery.  This is a guy who dealt with violence in Vietnam after all, and while not every vet is eager to see gun violence in a lifetime, I don't think he would have turned tail like he did here.

Plus we could have had visits from his real life sister, Helaine Lembeck (best know as "Judy Borden" from "Welcome Back Kotter") and father Harvey Lembeck (he played "Eric Von Zipper" the leader of the biker gang from the 60s Beach Party films).   

• Love 5

I really liked Julie Kim the replacement for Captain Holt when he is demoted. She was super nice, smart & she actually cared about doing a good job. It was unfortunate that the show couldn't find a way to squeeze her into more episodes. 

I would have loved to have seen another few episodes with Det. Goochberg from Psych. She was hilarious & I loved her paired with lassie. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Yes!  I was so disappointed with what they did to her character.  I could totally see her as someone who Rossi checked up on from time to time, helped her while she was in college and maybe even have her as an intern with the group.  She didn't have to become a regular cast member, but to see her occasionally throughout the series would have been nice.

I had her as a love interest for Reid (she seems his kind of girl) and I, too, would have loved seeing her as an intern under Rossi's tutelage, maybe eventually joining the cast or just simply becoming a FBI agent herself that helps the team from time to time. The potential was there for a really interesting character.

If the series comes back (which isn't a guarantee), I do hold out hope we might see another version of the character. It might be the only time in TV history I'll accept the "long lost twin" trope. I've also thought if CBS ever thinks of doing a "CM: Early Days" kind of show (because I think Ben Savage as the younger Gideon should also come back) that the show uses Zoe's mother, whom Amy Davidson could also play.

• Love 5

Many great one-episode characters from Will & Grace, my favorite is probably Diane from the episode Last Ex to Brooklyn, played by Mira Sorvino. But also Jack's mother, who I can't believe only appeared in one episode.

Doctor Who is also great for episodic characters. Dickens, Shakespeare, Tesla, Jenny, Adelaide Brooke from The Waters of Mars, just to name a few.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Doctor Who is also great for episodic characters

My two choices would be Sally Sparrow (Blink) and Madame De Pompadour (the Girl in the Fireplace). I also loved Idris but IDK if she was only on once. I only saw her once but I didn't watch a lot of the Matt Smith era. 

• Love 7
On 8/23/2021 at 10:48 AM, Rootbeer said:

Mahaffey has made a great career playing memorable recurring characters on a lot of series.  I first remember seeing her playing Eve on Northern Exposure in the early 90's.  I believe she won an Emmy for that one.

Currently. she has a recurring role as Christina Applegate's mother in law on Dead to Me where she is also terrific..

I remember she played David Hyde Pierce's wife on some short lived sitcom. That's why I imagined her as Maris on Frasier.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

My two choices would be Sally Sparrow (Blink) and Madame De Pompadour (the Girl in the Fireplace). I also loved Idris but IDK if she was only on once. I only saw her once but I didn't watch a lot of the Matt Smith era. 

Blink (Doctor Who) was one of the best and scariest TV episode I ever saw.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I remember she played David Hyde Pierce's wife on some short lived sitcom. That's why I imagined her as Maris on Frasier.

OMG, yes! I kept hoping and hoping that when we finally saw Maris, that's who it would be. (Of course, the joke eventually became that we never see Maris as descriptions of her just keep getting more and more outlandish.)

Star Trek: TOS had some great one- or two-off characters that I wish could have become regulars or semi-regulars: Lt. Kevin Riley, who appears in two episodes; and Lt. DeSalle, in three episodes. I liked what they brought to the episodes they were in. But eventually, they just disappear into the bowels of the ship, never to be seen again. I also liked Lt. Dave Bailey, in "The Corbomite Maneuver" who goes off on the Fesarius and Lt. Stiles, who dies in "Balance of Terror." 

• Love 5
On 8/24/2021 at 5:39 PM, Snow Apple said:

I remember she played David Hyde Pierce's wife on some short lived sitcom. That's why I imagined her as Maris on Fraser.

The Powers That Be.  It was one season and had a terrific cast. DHP and VM were great together and DPH's character was similar to Niles which is why it's easy to think of VM as Maris. He had one scene that immediately turned me into a fan.  It's at the beginning of this short compilation from that show.  Just a warning, the character longed for death so some may want to avoid watching for the suicide attempts.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The Powers That Be.  It was one season and had a terrific cast. DHP and VM were great together and DPH's character was similar to Niles which is why it's easy to think of VM as Maris. He had one scene that immediately turned me into a fan.  It's at the beginning of this short compilation from that show.  Just a warning, the character longed for death so some may want to avoid watching for the suicide attempts.

Your link goes to the thread for The Hype.  And I agree with the rest of your post!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ABay said:

The Weeping Angels were fantastic in "Blink" and then Moffat ran them into the ground.

They were the best "villains" in all of Whodom for me in Blink. It is also probably my all time favorite episode, if I were forced to pick one. But they became a joke after that, which is a damned shame and one of the many reasons I can't stand Moffat. He tends to fall in love with his ideas and then just beats us over the head with them until we are all begging for him to just put us all out of our misery. 

I refuse to watch any other Weeping Angel episode after having seen the one where I think they were invading NYC or something? I try not to remember it because Blink was quite possibly perfect and I don't want to tarnish it no matter how hard Moffat tries. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'd heard something once about how he got the role of Niles in part because of his role on that show. Ironically, his character on that show had a crush on the maid :p. 

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I completely forgot about that show. I really liked it.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Your link goes to the thread for The Hype.  And I agree with the rest of your post!

Well that's very weird.  I must've grabbed the link from the wrong tab. I updated the link in the original post but I'll add it here too.

Glad to see so many others loving and remembering the show.  Norman Lear.  Pre-Friends Marta Kauffman & David Crane, Pre-Ally MacBeal Peter MacNicol, pre-3rd Rock From The Sun Joseph Gordon Levitt, Holland Taylor...so much goodness. 

Closer to the topic of this thread but I always think about L&O characters. It's not that I necessarily want to see them again but I just remember moments of anger.  Like the wife who framed her husband for murdering the prostitute he frequented.  Anna Holbrook played two characters that stand out--the woman whose look of disgust is legendary when she realized her boyfriend used the same methods of seduction to seduce his teenaged stepdaughter (and murdered his wife/the mother) and as the mother who tore her daughter to shreds once she realized she had set her up to confess to murdering the daughter's old husband.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Glad to see so many others loving and remembering the show.  Norman Lear.  Pre-Friends Marta Kauffman & David Crane, Pre-Ally MacBeal Peter MacNicol, pre-3rd Rock From The Sun Joseph Gordon Levitt, Holland Taylor...so much goodness. 

I'd only just heard about it within recent years, and I was glad to see there were clips on YouTube to check out and enjoy :D. I want to say there was a full episode or two uploaded at one point as well, but I'm not sure if they're still there. 

(And yes, wow, it's amazing the amount of talent on that series. Makes it all the more surprising that show didn't last very long.)

Regarding the talk of crime dramas, the earlier mention of "Criminal Minds" reminds me of another character from that show that I would've liked to see pop up again: Nathan Harris. The episode with him, "Sex, Birth, Death", is one of my favorites of the series, and I'd always wanted to know what became of his character. It would've been neat to see the team revisit him or that case again at some point down the line, check in and see how he was faring. 

Unfortunately, Anton Yelchin's untimely death ended that possibility :(. 

• Love 6