Type keyword(s) to search

Lorelai and Luke

• Start Topic

Haha, yeah, I felt kind of funny using the word Lust, too. But it was the most concise way for me to describe "God, I wanna fuck her" attraction vs. actual caring attraction. I think Luke had both, but thought the caring stuff was due to friendship and not romantic love.

• Love 1

Luke's self help book realizations

Just an aside, but that was such a gawd awful  self-help book. I have  read a number of such books over the years. Not for me, of course. I am a paragon. But for my work. And many of them are  well  thought out and can be quite useful.

But I can't for the life of me envision  a man like Luke dutifully reading and listening to the clap-trap in that one. To say nothing of Jess apparently getting some benefit from it as well.

• Love 1

One scene I have come to love is at the end of Hammers and Veils.  While not technically a Luke and Lorelai moment, their exchange is so sweet.  She goes into the diner where Luke is filling ketchup bottles, and she tells him that even though the party is something he probably wouldn't enjoy because people are having fun, she felt he should be there.  But that's not even my favorite part.  He comes out to see Lorelai and Max dancing, and he gives a little wave when she sees him, and she waves back at him.  Then he sits down and looks so forlorn and the little girls in their bride costumes look up at him.  I don't know why, but that scene gets me every time, but I think its also the direction, because you have Sam Phillips song playing "Love is Everywhere I go", and there's a sad/happy moment for Rory, because Lane is leaving, but she and Dean have made up, then its a sad/happy moment for Lorelai, because she's dancing with the man she's going to marry, but its sad for Luke.  For me, all of the elements, the sad/happy, and music just clicked, but perhaps its my romantic heart that views this scene in favor of Luke and Lorelai as opposed to Lorelai and Max, and the fact I know its about to end for them. 

As to why I think Luke and Lorelai work, and why I still ship them, even after tons of viewings of the entire series:  For me, TV makes marriage and relationships mean that you have to always be happy and mushy-mushy to get married to someone, but as often is the case, those feelings fade once in marriage, and its up to the couple to find that mutual respect and love for one another to make it last.  For me, Luke portrayed every quality that would befit a healthy and stable married couple(its unrealistic to think there won't be any fighting or family drama), and I viewed their courtship not so much from a dating/chemistry standpoint, but as, this is what they would be like as a married couple.  They worked through all of their ups and downs, except for season 6(which I totally blame on the writers, because they all acted totally OOC, from Rory to Lorelai to Luke).  Yes, there is an ease about Lorelai and Christopher's relationship, but that is because they knew each other when, but that's all they keep going to, that's all they have.  For me, when Lorelai looks at Christopher googly-eyed its a high school romance thing.  If I were to buy into their ship, I would have rather it happened at the end of Season 2 on into season 3, because as someone already stated earlier, in season 5 WBB, any wistfulness about Christopher should have ended right there.  If I were to really believe L/L were not a good couple, there were so many other ways they could have gone other than to throw Christopher into the mix again.  For me, any time Christopher showed up it was only as a means to drop a bomb in the middle of L/L and so in my mind, he only represents danger anytime he comes around.  There should have been more use of him, if I'm to believe they should end up together.

There is too much emphasis in our culture on don't worry, be happy, but how often does that happen.  For me, I want that guy that's going to be around because life never goes like you want it to and its the people that stay around who really love you.  Chris would call them on the phone, that's not being around. There were too many chances for Chris to be the stay around guy, and he never took advantage of them, (or they never hired him on for more episodes and then should have moved to another idea), only after Rory was grown up and out of the house.  

Anyway, I have yet to be convinced that Christopher and Lorelai would make a better couple, and I will heart Luke and Lorelai to the bitter end, but that's just me.! 

• Love 10

One scene I have come to love is at the end of Hammers and Veils.  While not technically a Luke and Lorelai moment, their exchange is so sweet.  She goes into the diner where Luke is filling ketchup bottles, and she tells him that even though the party is something he probably wouldn't enjoy because people are having fun, she felt he should be there.  But that's not even my favorite part.  He comes out to see Lorelai and Max dancing, and he gives a little wave when she sees him, and she waves back at him.  Then he sits down and looks so forlorn and the little girls in their bride costumes look up at him.  I don't know why, but that scene gets me every time, but I think its also the direction, because you have Sam Phillips song playing "Love is Everywhere I go", and there's a sad/happy moment for Rory, because Lane is leaving, but she and Dean have made up, then its a sad/happy moment for Lorelai, because she's dancing with the man she's going to marry, but its sad for Luke.  For me, all of the elements, the sad/happy, and music just clicked, but perhaps its my romantic heart that views this scene in favor of Luke and Lorelai as opposed to Lorelai and Max, and the fact I know its about to end for them. 

Anyway, I have yet to be convinced that Christopher and Lorelai would make a better couple, and I will heart Luke and Lorelai to the bitter end, but that's just me.! 

Just one quick moment of Luke's body language in the diner in this scene show's how heart broken he is.  When Lorelai turns around to leave, his shoulder's slump like he is do defeated.  It breaks my heart.  I was always so disappointed that season 7 didn't show the hurt and repercussions for their break-up from either the characters. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I totally get the appeal of a guy like Luke in RL and Luke and Lorelai as a RL couple. He's there. he's stable and dependable and he has good morals. I get choosing him in RL over the guy you have more chemistry with but doesnt have his qualities. I just don't think L/L made for a good tv couple. I like to watch romantic, passionate couples. But in RL I get that those things (passion, romance, chemistry) aren't the most important things in a relationship and I certainly know people who have opted for passionless relationships/marriages because sometimes you can't have it all and other things are more important. I just don't want to watch those couples on tv. Lol

Edited by dirtypop90

I totally get the appeal of a guy like Luke in RL and Luke and Lorelai as a RL couple. He's there. he's stable and dependable and he has good morals. I get choosing him in RL over the guy you have more chemistry with but doesnt have his qualities. I just don't think L/L made for a good tv couple. I like to watch romantic, passionate couples. But in RL I get that those things (passion, romance, chemistry) aren't the most important things in a relationship and I certainly know people who have opted for passionless relationships/marriages because sometimes you can't have it all and other things are more important. I just don't want to watch those couples on tv. Lol

I get where you're coming from, who doesn't love a good romance. But, for me, AS-P never actually gave them a chance to actually be a couple without all of the drama, which would make sense as to why people thought they weren't romantic, because those scenes were never really written for them, except a minor few, interspersed here and there.  I mean first, Liz and TJ get in an accident, then the town meeting to discuss what would happen if their relationship ended, then the focus on Jackson running for town selectman, then the double date with Rory and Dean, Luke meeting her parents, then Christopher's dad dying, and Luke's dark day, and on  and on.  It was like everything in the book was thrown at them by way of drama.  And I've read somewhere else in these forums that AS-P directed them to not be touchy-feely while they were dating. Whether you agree or not, this blog post rings my exact sentiment on the whole Luke and Lorelai situation:

http://throughaglass.net/archives/2006/05/10/at-least-its-over/

But even after all of that, and watching the series over and over, I still always end up wanting Luke and Lorelai together.  

• Love 4

^ for me, it wasn't the drama. I love a passionate couple that the universe just won't let be together. It is more the moments when they are together, interacting that just left me feeling cold, even when they were touching. I just never felt a lot of emotion coming from them, mainly Scott. They still just felt like friends, rather than friends and lovers. I agree that they didn't seem to get a lot of scenes about just them but, as I'm sure you've seen, there are certain couples that have such heat that they make every scene about them even when it's not supposed to be. Lol L/L just weren't that type of couple, which is fine, most couples in RL aren't, but those are the couples I like to watch or even read about in fiction.

I've just finished my S3 rewatch. Since I mentioned in other threads how Luke and Lorelai seemed to have an understandng about romantic relationships but problems practising what they preached when actually in one, I thought it would be better discussed here. There were several times in S3 where Luke and Lorelai would express healthy viewpoints on romantic relationships. Maybe some people remember more examples from other Seasons. But I always found it interesting how much Luke and Lorelai failed at following through. And when they got together I was sure that this was one of the things that would create problems for them. Instead all ASP could think of was throwing problems at them that were 90% totally external. There was so much story potential in that relationship just because of who Luke and Lorelai were, their basic characters and their behavior in romantic relationships. I expected laughter, tears, breaking-up and fighting all cause by these two just being themselves. And I wanted them to overcome that and grow as people in the relationship.

From 3.07 (the bolded parts in all the quotes are the important ones)

SOOKIE: No. But, I mean, I want kids. You know I want kids.

LORELAI: I know you want kids.

SOOKIE: But I thought maybe one. Two if the first one is really quiet.

LORELAI: Well, honey, you have to tell Jackson that.

SOOKIE: I can’t.

LORELAI: Sookie, this is not like the fruit bowl his mother gave you. You can’t stick four kids in the attic and just pull them out at Christmas.

SOOKIE: I know, but Jackson and I have never had a real fight. We’re still newlyweds. We still sneak out of bed in the morning to brush our teeth, then get back in bed and pretend we just woke up smelling like that.

LORELAI: You don’t have much of a marriage if you can’t talk about the important things.

LORELAI: Sookie, he’s a produce man. They’ll never find the body, but the squash will be especially chatty that year.

SOOKIE: Okay, fair enough.

LORELAI: Hey, take your time. That’s it. That’s all I have to say.

LORELAI: What girl? Help me, drag me along, honey.

RORY: The girl who lets her boyfriend treat her like dirt and then lies to her mom about it.

LORELAI: Okay, you need a breath here.

RORY: Something's going on with him and it's been going on for awhile.

LORELAI: You can't make him talk, Rory. He has to want to.

RORY: But why doesn't he want to?

LORELAI: Because it's probably hard for him.

3.14 (replace Rory with Lorelai and Dean with Christopher)

JESS: No way.

LUKE: When you date a girl like Rory, you’re involved with her whole family. Just like that last girl you dated, you were involved with her whole petri dish.

JESS: At least she was easy to figure out.

LUKE: And you were bored from day one.

JESS: I’m dating Rory, not her family.

LUKE: All these people come in a package with this girl. The mother comes with this girl. The grandmother comes with this girl.

JESS: And apparently a bunch of others. Everybody she’s ever met, including Dean.

LUKE: She picked you.

JESS: God knows why.

LUKE: She knows, that’s all that matters. Jess, being jealous of Dean –

JESS: I am not jealous of Dean.

LUKE: Being jealous of Dean is pointless. You’re just gonna drive Rory away. You wanna have a relationship with someone, you’re gonna have to learn to open up your mouth and say something.

JESS: Give it a rest, Dr. Phil.

LUKE: You can’t shut down, you can’t avoid her calls.

JESS: I didn’t wanna talk.

LUKE: Well, when are you gonna wanna talk?

JESS: I don’t know.

And this is just what I picked up during S3 alone. There is also the self-help tapes at the end of S4. I've always found this dichotomy in both Lorelai and Luke fascinating. And I wanted them to overcome that while in a relationship together. *sigh*

• Love 5
(edited)
On 11/12/2015 at 0:32 AM, dustylil said:

Given how carefully managed and directed the series was (and the fact it  provided the breakout roles for both Scott Patterson and Lauren Graham), I have difficulty believing the showrunners would allow personal animosity (if indeed there was any) between the romantic leads to govern how the couple portrayed their relationship on screen.

As I posted some months ago, Ms Graham questioned the lack of physical contact between Luke and Lorelai once they became an item but was told to play the scenes as directed. Ms Graham also apparently did not like working with animals yet the powers that be lumbered her with Paul Anka. As a result, I am not sure she had real control over her character, scenes and plotlines until the seventh season when she acquired a producing role in the show.

Certainly Ms Graham and Mr Patterson seemed quite convivial at their Austin appearance. She even had her hand on his thigh for a time while he was speaking. Lucky hand!

I'm late to the party, but I just discovered this forum.

I agree. I'm listening to the Gilmore Guys podcasts, and am now listening to the first interview with Scott Patterson. He said he and Lauren Graham hit it off from the start, on screen and off screen. He sounds pretty sincere on the podcast. He also said that his character would not have had as many scenes if the chemistry between he and Lauren hadn't been so apparent, which gives me the impression that it changed the direction of the show.

As to my fave L/L scenes, the one from Season 1 where Lorelai is dressing Luke in the diner, with the new clothes she bought him. Also, a scene from Season 6 in Vineyard Valentine. An otherwise horrible episode, but the scene between L/L in the bedroom where they talked about their childhood trips to the same beach was kind of sweet. Once I saw that scene, I knew it was the writing and not the chemistry.

Dusty, I recognize your name. So, is this where the refugees from TwoP ended up, lol. I used to post there all the time, especially in the L/L thread. For the life of me, I can't remember what my forum name was back then.

Edited by Leonana
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Leonana said:

Dusty, I recognize your name. So, is this where the refugees from TwoP ended up, lol. I used to post there all the time, especially in the L/L thread. For the life of me, I can't remember what my forum name was back then

Hi Leonana. Yes, I use Dustylil pretty regularly. My mind isn't agile or supple enough to deal with multiple names. I also use it for all of my Swiss bank accounts :)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Leonana said:

Dusty, I recognize your name. So, is this where the refugees from TwoP ended up, lol. I used to post there all the time, especially in the L/L thread. For the life of me, I can't remember what my forum name was back then.

I'm pretty sure a name similiar to yours was on the TWoP board at the time. And how did you miss the train with the other TWoP refugees? I think it was posted somewhere that everyone would be migrating here. So welcome straggler.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/22/2016 at 0:19 PM, lulu1960 said:

Fellow refugee here too. I miss TWoP but this place is very cool.

On 5/22/2016 at 2:33 PM, Kohola3 said:

Me, too.  Loved TWoP but this is a nice alternative.  At least we can share and snark.

It is a nice alternative.

On 5/22/2016 at 3:31 PM, dustylil said:

Hi Leonana. Yes, I use Dustylil pretty regularly. My mind isn't agile or supple enough to deal with multiple names. I also use it for all of my Swiss bank accounts :)

I use the same name everywhere too. I wish I had those Swiss bank accounts, lol.

14 hours ago, Smad said:

I'm pretty sure a name similiar to yours was on the TWoP board at the time. And how did you miss the train with the other TWoP refugees? I think it was posted somewhere that everyone would be migrating here. So welcome straggler.

I was wondering if I used this name there. I had a different one, then got banned for criticizing Pammy's recap of Say Something. I couldn't remember my second name, but it must have been this one. It looks like I missed the train post at the time. I was searching for something about the Reunion shows, and this forum popped up. Thanks for the welcome!

Edited by Leonana
On 24.5.2016 at 3:41 AM, Leonana said:

I was wondering if I used this name there. I had a different one, then got banned for criticizing Pammy's recap of Say Something. I couldn't remember my second name, but it must have been this one. It looks like I missed the train post at the time. I was searching for something about the Reunion shows, and this forum popped up. Thanks for the welcome!

You can always check on TwOP if you want. The forums are still accessible through Wayback Machine.

• Love 1
On 5/23/2016 at 8:41 PM, Leonana said:

I had a different one, then got banned for criticizing Pammy's recap of Say Something.

This just made me snort out loud.  I got banned for much of the same thing.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, junienmomo said:

I haven't looked for the forums yet, but the recaps are apparently all moved to 

http://www.brilliantbutcancelled.com/show/gilmore-girls/ 

They are amazingly detailed! I was impressed. Even liked the snarky opinions interspersed between descriptions.

Thanks! My daughter and I started watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix and I would read recaps at the same time. However, I was using the old TWoP site and it was very slow, then eventually shut down. I read an article recently that it has a new owner and a relaunch is in the works.

Believe it or not, I was pregnant with my daughter when I watched the pilot. She's 15 now and she loves it as much as me. It was a lot of fun to watch it with her. I have to admit, it was more enjoyable to sit back and just watch it, as opposed to critiquing it on TWoP!

Getting back to the topic of the thread, she never noticed any awkwardness between Luke and Lorelai. She enjoyed their storyline and thought the relationship was believable. However, she related more to Rory.

Edited by Leonana
(edited)

I've never cared about any couple like I do Luke and Lorelai. For me they're soulmates and I thought so from their first scene in the pilot! I agree that the writers made them seem too different and annoyed with each other sometimes, but I think they're both outsiders in their own ways who trust and love very few. They're both their own worst enemy. Neither is a good communicator but both feel things a lot more deeply than they let on and I see them as very emotional and sensitive. Both distance and avoid, him with rants and by shutting people out and her by deflecting with humor and taking actions she probably shouldn't. Neither is necessarily smart in a bookish Rory way but both are actually very intelligent in their own ways. He's very competent, pragmatic, rational and has a knack for fixing things and she is extremely quick, clever, witty, creative and resourceful. The're both independent and determined to do things their own way no matter what they're told. They put up fronts that don't necessarily represent who they are - he seems more of a cynical people hater than he actually is and she seems more airy and lighthearted than she actually is - but both have very good but damaged hearts underneath that outer layer. I don't see them as completely opposite as some do and I do think they're delighted with and challenged by each other  more than they're upset and confused even though I agree that the show didn't always do a very good job of showing that once they got together. 

My favorite java junkie episodes before they started dating are Forgiveness and Stuff, Double Date, Donna Reed, Run Away, Bracebridge, Secrets and Loans, A-Tisket, Dead Uncles, They Shoot Gilmores, Thanksgiving, Poes, The Fundamental Things Apply, Clamor, Nag, The Incredible Sinking Lorelai, and of course the last few of season 4.  

I actually like most of their relationship in season 5 even though I agree that we could have seen them more affectionate and smiley at times. I think they have some good scenes in Season 6 too, especially before we find out about April. The scene where Luke comforts Lorelai about Paul Anka and Rory and tries to convince her she's a good mom is amazing. I also love the finale in season 7. 

After reading this thread I think I had a lot more I wanted to say but got too excited to remember!

Edited by betterthisway
  • Love 10

That was very well said. I appreciate that you said that Luke was intelligent. Sadly down the road they dumbed him up a bit. 

Both distance and avoid, him with rants and by shutting people out and her by deflecting with humor and taking actions she probably shouldn't

They put up fronts that don't necessarily represent who they are - he seems more of a cynical people hater than he actually is and she seems more airy and lighthearted than she actually is - but both have very good but damaged hearts underneath that outer layer.

Good observation. I agree totally.

• Love 2

Good observation. I agree totally.

I can't believe I just got a compliment from one of the world's foremost experts on Luke and Lorelai! You just made my weekend and gave me the courage to start the LL fanfic I've always wanted to write.  

she seems more airy and lighthearted than she actually is

I know quoting yourself is obnoxious, but I forgot to add earlier that I feel like Christopher is only the right fit for the woman Lorelai can sometimes seem to be and who she could have been if she'd stayed in her parents' world, while Luke is the perfect soulmate for the woman she actually  is. Let's hope my fanfic makes more sense than this post! 

• Love 2

I can't believe I just got a compliment from one of the world's foremost experts on Luke and Lorelai! You just made my weekend and gave me the courage to start the LL fanfic I've always wanted to write.  

Okay now THAT'S a huge compliment. Not quite sure how much of an expert I am but I do love me some L/L. Thank you. You'll always find encouragement to try your hand at fanfic around these parts.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, betterthisway said:

I've never cared about any couple like I do Luke and Lorelai. For me they're soulmates and I thought so from their first scene in the pilot! I agree that the writers made them seem too different and annoyed with each other sometimes, but I think they're both outsiders in their own ways who trust and love very few. They're both their own worst enemy. Neither is a good communicator but both feel things a lot more deeply than they let on and I see them as very emotional and sensitive. Both distance and avoid, him with rants and by shutting people out and her by deflecting with humor and taking actions she probably shouldn't. Neither is necessarily smart in a bookish Rory way but both are actually very intelligent in their own ways. He's very competent, pragmatic, rational and has a knack for fixing things and she is extremely quick, clever, witty, creative and resourceful. The're both independent and determined to do things their own way no matter what they're told. They put up fronts that don't necessarily represent who they are - he seems more of a cynical people hater than he actually is and she seems more airy and lighthearted than she actually is - but both have very good but damaged hearts underneath that outer layer. I don't see them as completely opposite as some do and I do think they're delighted with and challenged by each other  more than they're upset and confused even though I agree that the show didn't always do a very good job of showing that once they got together. 

My favorite java junkie episodes before they started dating are Forgiveness and Stuff, Double Date, Donna Reed, Run Away, Bracebridge, Secrets and Loans, A-Tisket, Dead Uncles, They Shoot Gilmores, Thanksgiving, Poes, The Fundamental Things Apply, Clamor, Nag, The Incredible Sinking Lorelai, and of course the last few of season 4.  

I actually like most of their relationship in season 5 even though I agree that we could have seen them more affectionate and smiley at times. I think they have some good scenes in Season 6 too, especially before we find out about April. The scene where Luke comforts Lorelai about Paul Anka and Rory and tries to convince her she's a good mom is amazing. I also love the finale in season 7. 

After reading this thread I think I had a lot more I wanted to say but got too excited to remember!

Great description of them. I've never cared about another tv couple either but there is something special about these two. There are some that totally hate the pairing, and Luke particularly,  but I found them fascinating. I watched the show on Netflix without any knowledge of the show or actors history and that the actors didn't really get along. Some say they can see tension and can tell they don't like each other. I never noticed it and thought they had great chemistry.  Will your fanfic be written as Betterthiseay as your pen name? I'll be looking for it!

• Love 2

Thank you for the great responses! I'm such a java junkie and you all are "angels." Sorry about the random reference to the pilot, but that first scene is when I fell in love with them. 

I asked somewhere else about fans' favorite LL moments of the show, but maybe it would be better to ask it here instead. That thread was asking about top fives, but given how many perfect LL scenes there are, it might be better to let ourselves pick at least ten! 

(edited)

The Waltz (LWFTWT)

Behind the counter where the spot is that they will not spruce  (That Damn Donna Reed)

Just Stand Still kiss (Raincoats and Recipes)

I call it the Storming the Castle kiss (Lorelai is watching Judy Garland So, Good Talk)

You keep thinking the way you think (Not as Cute as Pushkin)

Eating the lunch after the bid a basket. (This is nice. A Tisket, A Tasket) 

The limo ride (Hot. Hot. Hot. Blame It On Booze and Melville)

Them finally together (Written in the Stars. All of it. LOL)

Luke comforting Lorelai about Paul Anka (let me Hear the Balalaikas Ring Out)

Lorelai there for Luke at Louie funeral (Dead Uncles and Vegetables)

That was in no particular order. Although, the Waltz is probably #1

Edited by lulu1960
  • Love 2

Even with mileage varying greatly with regards to Luke and Lorelai, I really love the Mimi scene in Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days. It says quite a bit at that point in the series that Lorelai would only reveal her innermost wishes to someone like Luke.

• Love 2
On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM, lulu1960 said:

The Waltz (LWFTWT)

Behind the counter where the spot is that they will not spruce  (That Damn Donna Reed)

Just Stand Still kiss (Raincoats and Recipes)

I call it the Storming the Castle kiss (Lorelai is watching Judy Garland So, Good Talk)

You keep thinking the way you think (Not as Cute as Pushkin)

Eating the lunch after the bid a basket. (This is nice. A Tisket, A Tasket) 

The limo ride (Hot. Hot. Hot. Blame It On Booze and Melville)

Them finally together (Written in the Stars. All of it. LOL)

Luke comforting Lorelai about Paul Anka (let me Hear the Balalaikas Ring Out)

Lorelai there for Luke at Louie funeral (Dead Uncles and Vegetables)

That was in no particular order. Although, the Waltz is probably #1

All of these are my favorite as well. I am also particularly fond of the "Ungraduate" in several parts; when Lorelai is going to have to stay at Luke's because of the construction and he said he'll get her clothes, she said the last time he did he got her 4 bras and no pants.  Luke said that may have been intentional. ? The whole banter getting Luke to take Paul Anka was cute. Also, when he had to run to Paul Anka to the vet he says"for all the ways I could mess this up, I can't lose her because I killed her dog". I think it was the only time you see his vulnerability and insecurities  in their relationship; his POV was rarely shown besides throwing customers out of the dinner after the first breakup. 

• Love 3

The Waltz and Paul Anka comfort are at the top of my list, too. 

Some others:

Defending the relationship in the town meeting

The hospital banter in Forgiveness

The phone calls for both Luke's apartment hunt and Dead Uncles room reservations

• Love 3

I was a diehard L/L shipper the first four seasons (I wrote several fanfics about them getting together, LOL).  I used to get criticism for not writing their actual relationship, b/c it’s hard without creating artificial drama. 

We see that after they finally got together, things were good for about half a season and then Christopher shows up and ruins everything for a few eps but they got together again.  Then they got engaged and Luke mishandled the April situation.  Although upon re-watch, I can understand that trying to get to know his daughter must be overwhelming, but I think he could’ve included Lorelai a bit more.

For Season 7, I hated that she married Chris, but upon re-watch and knowing that she and Luke reunite, I see that she finally got him out of her system, no longer wondering what if they had gotten married. 

I think in the end, Chris was what she thought she had wanted (since they grew up together and he was Rory’s dad) but Luke gave her what she needed – he was stable and supportive.

On another note, I don’t think Season 7 was as terrible as most think – even with the Chris marriage debacle.  There were some good Lorelai/Emily moments (esp after Richard’s heart surgery) and the way L/L found their way back together was organic (and who could forget her “I will always love you” serenade.

• Love 2

I still love these two so much. My love is apparently strong enough to withstand some of the most disappointing writing and directing I've seen for any pairing. As I said elsewhere, I'm more in love with what I think they could have been than with what the Palladinos gave us in reality, especially once they got together. Their differences didn't have to make them seem incompatible; they could and should have been complementary, showing how they balanced each other out, challenged each other to be better and how each gave the other what they needed. She brings out his more lively, passionate and adventurous side. She lets him care and hope. The ranting that some people think makes him seem too angry is to me the way he shows passion and emotion. On the other side, he calms her down, gives her the freedom to be herself and makes her feel more secure. He offers reason when she's on the verge of being too impulsive. Without each other, he's too much of an isolated cranky misanthrope and she's too much like an insane meth addict. They made each other so much better, or at least could have if the Palladinos weren't so determined to make it seem like relationships have to be messes that make people unhappy most of the time. It's not just with LL that we see how bad the Palladinos are at writing couples! 

I'm in adamant agrement with people who think that many of their best moments came in Season 1. Their chemistry in Donna Reed and Double Date practically burns a hole in my screen. And that was back when their banter seemed playful, not at all bitter. It also showed that Luke originally had the wit and intellect to match Lorelai's, which seemed to mysteriously fade away as the series wore on.

Kiss and Tell and Star Crossed Lovers gave us great Luke x Lorelai scenes too.  Skipping to season 4, outside of the episodes at the end where they finally get together, I think my favorite is The Fundamental Things Apply. The scene where she covers him with a blanket and they observe how comfortable he seems still makes me swoon. There's a lot of substance between them and an unspoken understanding, and scenes like that illustrate it. I just wish we had gotten more of them! 

Edited by whateverhappened
  • Love 4

When did you start shipping LL? Which LL scenes both while they were still friends and once they started dating still make you melt when you watch them? If you could show a friend one episode to attempt to convert her into a java junkie, which episode do you think would do the trick? 

I saw Emma again recently and felt like there were some similarities between Emma x Knightley and Lorelai x Luke. I can see similarities to Gilmore Girls in anything I read or watch, though, so maybe it's just me!

Both Lorelai x Luke and Emma x Knightley were friends for a long time before finally declaring their romantic feelings for each other. Emma and Lorelai are both impulsive, charming extroverts who get very enthusiastic about things, can be selfish and vain but are very caring at their cores, and seem scattered but are actually bright. Emma and Lorelai both have family members they're selflessly devoted to - Emma's father in her case and Rory in Lorelai's.

Knightley and Luke have some similarities too. Both are honorable, dependable, steady men of substance. They both keep a lot of their feelings inside. They both retreat and withdraw for a little while when they're upset and need to work things out privately before they're ready to discuss them. Both can get exasperated with Emma and Lorelai, usually for understandable reasons, but they would do absolutely anything to help make them happy. 

• Love 1

My very first episode I ever watched was Raincoats and Recipes. I was a Java Junkie from the git go. I went back and rewatched every episode from the beginning after that.

The waltz I can watch on a constant loop. Luke pulling on Lorelai coat in WiTs always makes me smile. As far as when they weren't together. The sleigh ride in Bracebridge, Luke being there for Lorelai in Forgiveness and Stuff, and Lorelai being there for him in Dead Uncles

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, lulu1960 said:

My very first episode I ever watched was Raincoats and Recipes. I was a Java Junkie from the git go. I went back and rewatched every episode from the beginning after that.

The waltz I can watch on a constant loop. Luke pulling on Lorelai coat in WiTs always makes me smile. As far as when they weren't together. The sleigh ride in Bracebridge, Luke being there for Lorelai in Forgiveness and Stuff, and Lorelai being there for him in Dead Uncles

I liked how they showed Lorelai being there for Luke as well. It was nice to see that it was mutual and Lorelai wanted to be there for Luke as well. :) I liked that Rory helped out at the diner too. Showed how much Lorelai and Rory care about Luke. :)

• Love 2
On 2/4/2017 at 2:05 AM, lulu1960 said:

The waltz I can watch on a constant loop.

And I have watched it on loop, so many times. 

The pilot episode got me shipping them. Both were clearly directed to show simultaneous uncertainty and attraction, and it really worked, all the way down to the order pad in the waistband.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

And I have watched it on loop, so many times. 

The pilot episode got me shipping them. Both were clearly directed to show simultaneous uncertainty and attraction, and it really worked, all the way down to the order pad in the waistband.

There is a fanfic that revolves around Luke putting the order pad back in the waistband after he stopped in whatever season it was 2, 3?

1 minute ago, lulu1960 said:

There is a fanfic that revolves around Luke putting the order pad back in the waistband after he stopped in whatever season it was 2, 3?

Wait, what? How did I miss this? Meags09, do you know the fic? I'm pretty sure Mags68 had a bit with the order pad, could that be it?

Could it have been one in which Lorelai notices how sexy that is?

49 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Which episode is this?

37 minutes ago, whateverhappened said:

But the really crucial question here: which LL kiss is your favorite? I find it hard to choose! 

I'll go with there first kiss at the Dragonfly. Although the kiss on the porch after they saw St Elmo's Fire was pretty hot. or maybe it was the Storming the Castle kiss when Lorelai was watching a Star is Born or  could it be the limo kiss? Taste like peppermint.

• Love 2

It's hard to remember, since I've been watching the show for so long, but I think I started shipping them a little bit in Forgiveness and Stuff, when Luke drops everything to rush Lorelai to the hospital. And then it was really cemented during that moment behind the diner counter, when Luke is showing her the old stuff his dad wrote on the wall. That moment was sizzling! 

My favorite kiss was definitely Star is Born. 

19 hours ago, whateverhappened said:

But the really crucial question here: which LL kiss is your favorite? I find it hard to choose! 

A Star is Born is mine too.  Along with the old movie playing in the background, the kiss itself is shot in an old movie style as they pan out and she shuts the door.  Just love it.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, whateverhappened said:

I still love these two so much. My love is apparently strong enough to withstand some of the most disappointing writing and directing I've seen for any pairing. As I said elsewhere, I'm more in love with what I think they could have been than with what the Palladinos gave us in reality, especially once they got together.

Just some random thoughts I have pondered about these two:

Season 1 did really give us a strong sexual vibe between the two, then it seemed more like friendship after that and it makes me wonder if the Palladinos changed their mind about the pairing but were forced to due to the fans.  I even wondered if at the beginning of season 7 if the plan was for them to reunite and they played out the Chris and Lorelai pairing to see how the ratings would be.  It's said that Lauren wanted Chris and Lorelai to be the endgame (not to mention Lauren and Scott's animosity towards each other) plus she had more to say about season 7 as a producer.  It would make sense the lack of screen time Luke and Lorelai have together until the very end.  I love them too and I don't like to think my thoughts are correct.

51 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

A Star is Born is mine too.  Along with the old movie playing in the background, the kiss itself is shot in an old movie style as they pan out and she shuts the door.  Just love it.

Just some random thoughts I have pondered about these two:

Season 1 did really give us a strong sexual vibe between the two, then it seemed more like friendship after that and it makes me wonder if the Palladinos changed their mind about the pairing but were forced to due to the fans.  I even wondered if at the beginning of season 7 if the plan was for them to reunite and they played out the Chris and Lorelai pairing to see how the ratings would be.  It's said that Lauren wanted Chris and Lorelai to be the endgame (not to mention Lauren and Scott's animosity towards each other) plus she had more to say about season 7 as a producer.  It would make sense the lack of screen time Luke and Lorelai have together until the very end.  I love them too and I don't like to think my thoughts are correct.

I've heard Lauren say that she thought Luke and Lorelai should 100% be together. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I am not sure where that animosity story came from.

Me neither! I think they got on fine. Just because they weren't really close friends, everyone just assumed they hated each other. I doubt they would have done the revival if they hated each other!

• Love 1

Just out of curiosity, am I the only L/L fan who hates the Star is Born kiss?  I know I've commented on it before, but it just looks like he's some hulking caveman trying to attack her to me, heh.

I think my favorite "hot" kiss is the one in the limo.  Yowza.  Favorite kiss overall is the series of kisses in R&R.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Just out of curiosity, am I the only L/L fan who hates the Star is Born kiss?  I know I've commented on it before, but it just looks like he's some hulking caveman trying to attack her to me, heh.

I think my favorite "hot" kiss is the one in the limo.  Yowza.  Favorite kiss overall is the series of kisses in R&R.

I am also a L/L fan who doesn't like the Star is Born kiss for the same reason. Based on how SP grabbed her and the writing because I think they should have talked before getting physically intimate when they were getting back together. I don't feel that way about the Bon Voyage kiss which I liked. Maybe because it was mutual but also because it came after some episodes of reconciling. 

I like most of the L/L kisses though. I think they're really adorable on casual little smooches as they move through life. Like every time they kiss over the counter at Luke's. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, elang4 said:

I've heard Lauren say that she thought Luke and Lorelai should 100% be together. 

Yes, she did say that at the reunion. But I did read it in an older article about her wanting Chris to be the endgame that was on posted on twitter during all the excitement of the revival.

54 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I am not sure where that animosity story came from.

The Gilmore Guys evaded to it several times during their podcast of GG and in their broadcast of "Bonvoyage" they were talking about after LL finally kissed and Kevin said something like the both of them probably wiped off their month and ran...again paraphrased because I don't remember exact words but I got their meaning.  Apparently Kevin knows someone that worked on the set as he had mentioned it several times. 

I don't care about how they felt about each other privately, I just always wondered if it was true and if it could have effected the direction their story went.

29 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

As much as I love it, I get what you are saying because it is so awkward at first.  But I did like it because of the old movie look of it and they were back together.  Limo kiss...YES to that too!   

Edited by FictionLover