Type keyword(s) to search

Life Away From The Screen: Non-TV Hobbies

• Start Topic

My mom, sister and I have been talking about the adult coloring book craze, which made me think -- we have cooking, gardening, reading, and games topics, but I couldn't find one for hobbies in general. So consider this it!

Going through some potential garage sale items I found a coloring book my sister had from an art class project in high school. (Early 1980s) It had the intricate designs like the new adult coloring books that are being sold. I tried coloring a page & found it oddly soothing. Maybe it is the disconnect from electronics or connection to a different area of the brain than say a video game. My kids tried coloring a page each while I read an old favorite book to them & they enjoyed it too. Anytime I get to still read out loud to my kids, who are teens, is something I savor so I may have to look into one of the new books.

• Love 2

My biggest hobby is nature photography. I will photograph any animal (except humans) I find, but I prefer taking pictures of birds.  I enjoy the artistic and technical aspects of photography---exposing the photograph correctly, framing the subject in an aesthetically pleasing way, etc. I spend a lot of time beside bird feeders :)

I also create 3D computer models. I would love to work at Pixar one day...

• Love 3

I enjoy collecting vintage sewing patterns.  I have far too many to count - mostly from the 50s and 60s.  I even picked up a few vintage pattern catalogs too.  I have often thought fashions from earlier eras are more tasteful and have more interesting details abut them than many of today's fashions.  Half the fun is bringing a piece of the past to the present by using a modern fabric on an old pattern!  I always try to go for looks that are timeless and could still not stick out (in a bad way) in a crowd .

• Love 2
My other hobbies have taken a back seat to caregiving lately, but when I have the time, I like stitching and making jewelry. The other day, I bought a little saw so I can make my own jump rings for chain mail

I know making chain mail jewelry requires a lot of jump rings so the saw is a good investment for you.  Jewelry making is my favorite hobby, kumihimo and micro macrame being my favorite forms.  Whenever I think of it, I try to watch Jewel School on JTV to see what the latest trends are in jewelry making.

• Love 3

Probably the nerdiest hobby (out of many nerdy hobbies) that I ever got involved in was model rocketry, back in high school. I'd spend a week putting a kit from Estes together, and then half the time the wind at my launch area would end up blowing it into the bay. Eventually I started just making fins & nosecones from scrap cardboard, then gluing them directly onto the smallest disposable engines available. Cheap and quick!

I also designed a "launch pistol" (DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME KIDS!) so I wouldn't have to go the trouble of setting up the launch pad for my 50 cent rockets. Wearing goggles and a hard hat for safety, I hardly ever set my head on fire during a launch.

• LOL 2

Collecting vintage newspapers (as with that Atlanta one I spoke about under Chit-Chat). The one I'm getting now is a L.A. Times from January 29, 1986, one day after the Challenger disaster. 

• Love 1

I sure am and I listen to NPR most while pursuing my other hobbies.  Nothing makes me happier than baking on a Sunday afternoon with Garrison Keillor and A Prairie Home Companion to keep me company.  Or paddling my kayak with Ira Glass and This American Life.  Or biking with Ophira Eisenberg to Ask Me Another.

I'm a contra dancer and it never ceases to amaze me that most dances I go to attract at least 100 participants and yet hardly anybody I know outside of a dance hall has ever heard of it.

• Love 1

Probably the nerdiest hobby (out of many nerdy hobbies) that I ever got involved in was model rocketry, back in high school. I'd spend a week putting a kit from Estes together, and then half the time the wind at my launch area would end up blowing it into the bay. Eventually I started just making fins & nosecones from scrap cardboard, then gluing them directly onto the smallest disposable engines available. Cheap and quick!

I also designed a "launch pistol" (DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME KIDS!) so I wouldn't have to go the trouble of setting up the launch pad for my 50 cent rockets. Wearing goggles and a hard hat for safety, I hardly ever set my head on fire during a launch.

I was forcibly involved in this hobby due to my dad and brother loving it. My parents got divorced when I was ten, so each time we had time with my dad that's what we did. My dad wasn't good at "girl" things, so we all spent dad-time shooting rockets and hanging around at boat marinas. They'd ooh and ahh over the boats while I'd study life in the water under the boats.

• Love 1

I enjoy cooking (especially baking) and reading.  I used to cross-stitch like a fiend, but got out of the habit.  I've gotten the urge to start again, mainly since I finally cleaned out the shelves in my laundry room and sorted out all of my craft supplies.  I didn't realize how many cross-stitch books I have--not to mention the two Christmas tree skirt kits I have that I've never even opened.

My main hobby for the last couple of years has been collecting old Scholastic Book Club paperbacks.  Those of us who are of a certain age surely remember getting that newspaper-like catalog in school, picking out a few titles and then getting the books a while later.  I only collect the ones from the 1950s through 1979.  (The ones during that range of years had a letter/number 'code' on each, such as 'TX585', 'TJ1478', etc.--there were five series--TX, TK, T, TJ, and TW, depending on the audience's reading level).  The ones after 1979 don't have the code.  It's a fairly cheap hobby, but can be frustrating, because a far as I can tell, no one has ever compiled a complete list of the Scholastic titles (which is one of my goals), so it's hard to collect books when you don't even know which ones exist.  I estimate that if you look at each series' lowest code number and the highest known series number for each, there could theoretically be approx. 25,000 total Scholastic titles!  I have no idea if there are that many, but it's been fun trying to find out.  I think I have about 2,000 titles in my collection right now, and have identified around 3,000 more that I know exist, but I don't own.  I haunt used book stores, thrift stores, antique malls, and estate/rummage sales for my finds.  

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1

Before my accident I did yoga for many years, I live in the boonies so I would hike the hills with my dogs, I loved gardening, yard work and anything that could be done outside. I can't do most of those things anymore so I've found different hobbies.

I'm an avid reader and read at least a book a week but probably more than that. I've loved reading ever since I learned how. I prefer real books but its hard for me to shop so I love my Kindle. It's become my best friend.

I love cooking and baking. I used to always complain that our cooktop and wall ovens were way too low, now they're the perfect height for my wheelchair. I've discovered that I love to write so I've been writing a lot. Writing also helps me get my frustrations about my situation out, It's great to vent on paper.

My gardening now consists mainly of houseplants, I've converted a wall with a huge window in the living room into a plant wall. I put shelves in front of the window and over the past couple of years have filled them with so many plants that the shelves are barely visible anymore. People always gasp when they walk in and see my living wall.

My son made me a watering can with a long flexible nozzle so I can water the high ones. I also have other plants all over the house.

I've also gotten back into crocheting. I taught myself when I was a teenager but hadn't done it in a while. I make blankets and hats for the women's shelter and a program at the county hospital and I'm about halfway done with a full sized bed blanket for my granddaughter. It's a bigger, more grown up version if the baby blanket I made her that she's slept with every night of her 7 years. It's the same pattern and colors but I'm using bolder versions of the colors. I think she'll love it.

Boredom has been my biggest problem since my accident so I'm going to steal some of your hobby ideas.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3
My dad wasn't good at "girl" things, so we all spent dad-time shooting rockets and hanging around at boat marinas. They'd ooh and ahh over the boats while I'd study life in the water under the boats.

I used to do exactly the same thing. There was a period of several years where my stepfather thought that he could afford a boat*, so I got to spend a lot of time looking at the odd little critters and plants under the docks while he did boat maintainance-y things.

* Remember kids, a boat is a bottomless hole in the water that you dump money into.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

When I got my kayak, a friend told me a boat would bring me the two happiest days of my life:  the day I bought it and the day I sold it.

No sale:  nothing relaxes me like paddling around on the water.

• Love 1

My brother is a kayaking fiend.  I've gone out a few times and it is quite nice.  I like going out in the ocean more cause we would see dolphin.  They are a lot bigger up close and have the propensity to swim right under the kayak because they know it rattles your nerves - such kidders!

• Love 2

I can't go in water where I can't see or touch the bottom so no boating or kayaking for me. Just the thought makes my stomach jump.

I'm a feet on the earth type person. I loved hiking, camping and anything that had to do with the outdoors. My son has been leveling some areas of my property for me and is making me some trails ao hopefully I will be able to get back outside again. Living in the hills the terrain doesn't work well with a wheelchair. My son knows how much I hate being stuck inside so he's trying to make the outdoors a little more accessible for me.

• Love 7

I like to read. It's funny actually when I was young it was hard for me and still is because of my disability but I am able to read really fast when I focus or try. My disability makes me see words and numbers as pictures and patterns which can be efficient, also causes a lot of reading, writing, and typing mistakes.

A lot of speed readers have dyslexia. My favorite books are by Bret Easton Ellis, Donna Tartt, Fitzgerald, Sidney Sheldon, Jackie Collins, and Stephen King.

I also love anything animal related!

Nature walks or wandering around a museum.

Going to improv shows. Chicago is awesome for comedy.

And goofing around online. That is talk forums and blogs are fun.

• Useful 1

I have a motorized chair and a scooter but where I live there are a lot of hills and its really rocky and bumpy and the ground just doesn't work with either of them. He's clearing brush and rocks and levelling things out where he can to make some paths.

My son is pretty great to me. He's the one who found me after my accident and he's been fiercely protective of me ever since. I've always had a close relationship with both of my kids and its gotten even better since my fall.

• Love 1

My son has been leveling some areas of my property for me and is making me some trails ao hopefully I will be able to get back outside again.

You raised a good one.

A colleague specializes in disability rights law, and she does training every year that counts towards our “elimination of bias” continuing education requirement.  One of the things she asks people to do is rank disabilities and explain why those at the “would most hate to have” end of the spectrum are there.  She then helps people understand how some of the “Because I could never do X” fears are unfounded; one can do X with Y modifications. 

I love hiking, or otherwise wandering around in the great outdoors.  So I love that your son is helping you get back to doing that.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I love running, especially out in the countryside where the air is so much cleaner and fresher; and everywhere is quiet and peaceful compared to urban craziness where I live. 

I have a motorcycle, which I use primarily for touring up and down the country with a couple of other bikers - we usually just pitch  a tent out in the middle of nowhere, and spend a couple of days hiking, drinking and generally having a relaxing time out there. We sometime stay up really late and look at the night skies for the constellation, planets, galaxies etc. 

I love baking/cooking, and DIY, but am pretty useless at handicrafts, sewing, needlework, drawing, painting etc. I can play acoustic guitar even though I can't read  music; I certainly cannot sing  or dance very well either. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Cherry Bomb said:

traveling to National Parks

Me too.  I don't sleep outdoors, so I don't go on overnight hiking adventures, but I love to go to National Parks and spend my days hiking, with a nice motorhome, condo, or hotel to return to each night.  Which are your favorite parks (so far)?

I have many, and it's hard to narrow down, but I'd have to hand Utah the award for state with the greatest number of beloved parks.  California (where I live) has more National Parks, and is a very close second in my ranking, as does Alaska (the only state in the country to which I've not yet been), but I absolutely love all five in Utah, so it squeaks ahead.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I recently got a sewing machine and plan to experiment with it once the summer's over and I'm more inclined to stay inside the house. Somebody, please tell me that threading the machine and the bobbin has gotten lots easier since my long ago home ec. classes, okay?

• Love 3

I work in IT and can handle computers, printers, servers, network routers, switches etc. with relative ease.

But you put a sewing machine in front of me and it will find itself flying through the nearest window after about 15 minutes of me gradually losing my patience, cursing it with every swear word under the Sun, and generally ....well, just losing it, really!

Thank heavens for mothers :)

• Love 2

I've been taking a break from my hobbies. It's been about a year. I've been doing alot more reading more enjoying mainly classic literature and history, I've got a list. I'm also working out.

Now I'm ready to take my interests up again. I was very much into hand crafts. I knit, crochet, tat, quilt, cross-stitch, needle point, sewing, costuming for a theatre company, drawing, refinish furniture, upholstery, DIY. I continue to love, love, love to bake and cook and I'm always very interested in learning about wine. There are a couple of hobbies I've had to put on hold due to high expense but eventually I'll go back to them.

I like learning how to do, things make things. 

My 80 year old aunt has been coloring all of her life. She would buy kids coloring books for herself before they had adult books. It was a way she relaxed besides doing crafts.

• Love 2
On 8/13/2017 at 7:34 PM, Bastet said:

Me too.  I don't sleep outdoors, so I don't go on overnight hiking adventures, but I love to go to National Parks and spend my days hiking, with a nice motorhome, condo, or hotel to return to each night.  Which are your favorite parks (so far)?

I have many, and it's hard to narrow down, but I'd have to hand Utah the award for state with the greatest number of beloved parks.  California (where I live) has more National Parks, and is a very close second in my ranking, as does Alaska (the only state in the country to which I've not yet been), but I absolutely love all five in Utah, so it squeaks ahead.

OK, I love them all, but Glaciers National Park is disappearing as quickly as all the other glaciers on earth, so it moves to the top of any list, because it is already almost gone. :-(

On 8/14/2017 at 6:15 AM, Qoass said:

I recently got a sewing machine and plan to experiment with it once the summer's over and I'm more inclined to stay inside the house. Somebody, please tell me that threading the machine and the bobbin has gotten lots easier since my long ago home ec. classes, okay?

Nope.  I'd almost trade my happy solitude for one more mother-in-law who can sew.  Or, win the Lotto and have Craig from Southern Charm sew and grow vegges for me, whilst amusing my cat.

On 8/14/2017 at 6:48 AM, Zola said:

I work in IT and can handle computers, printers, servers, network routers, switches etc. with relative ease.

But you put a sewing machine in front of me and it will find itself flying through the nearest window after about 15 minutes of me gradually losing my patience, cursing it with every swear word under the Sun, and generally ....well, just losing it, really!

There isn't a machine made by evil men that I haven't wanted to throw out my window.  TeeVee is my only solace, as is this indestructible donated Chromebook that allows me to post & vent here (thank you, beloved  fellow poster, who shall remain anonymous!).

• Love 3
On 14/08/2017 at 2:48 PM, Zola said:

Well. after several months trying to get my head (and hands) round using a sewing machine, I finally gave up a couple of days ago. I can do a few straight seams but anything more elaborate than that and I just haven't got a clue. 

However, a friend remarked about how good and clear my handwriting is when it comes to writing out birthday and Christmas cards, especially when writing out full addresses on envelopes. She suggested I should try my hand at calligraphy with a view to doing some part-time work writing letters, posters and greeting cards either for cash or voluntarily for charities.

So just need to figure out what I need in terms of pens or fountain pens, ink and good quality paper, and then just take it from there via YouTube or perhaps a local college course. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Zola said:

Well. after several months trying to get my head (and hands) round using a sewing machine, I finally gave up a couple of days ago. I can do a few straight seams but anything more elaborate than that and I just haven't got a clue. 

However, a friend remarked about how good and clear my handwriting is when it comes to writing out birthday and Christmas cards, especially when writing out full addresses on envelopes. She suggested I should try my hand at calligraphy with a view to doing some part-time work writing letters, posters and greeting cards either for cash or voluntarily for charities.

So just need to figure out what I need in terms of pens or fountain pens, ink and good quality paper, and then just take it from there via YouTube or perhaps a local college course. 

That's pretty impressive.  I wasn't blessed with good handwriting.  I can make it legible,  but, it's not pretty.  lol I bet there are some great ideas on You tube or Pinterest. 

Anyone into Genealogy research? I'm thinking about it.  One of my cousin's has already done a bunch.  I gave my dad a Ancestory DNA kit for Christmas.  So, I now know that we have ZERO Native American blood. lol  My grandmother was told that she was part Indian.  Not true.  Daddy is 49% Great Britain. 19% Wales/Scotland/Ireland, 12% Eastern Europe, 8% Iberian Peninsula, 7% Scandinavia, or approximately those numbers.  I may have my own done too.  I suspect that my mother is about the same as his. So, I'll be about the same too.  I GUESSED the results would be like this, based on our family's physical traits, blue eyes, hair, etc. and surnames.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Zola said:

I'm decent at sewing - in a very basic basic way.  I still have never figured out how to load the bobbin properly.

Most hobby stores will sell basic calligraphy starter kits so you can get started without spending a ton of money.

• Love 3

My first experience with my sewing machine went pretty well although I still can't figure out the "easy" needle threading feature. I did it with a bright lamp and a magnifying glass and my next project will use green thread because I'm not doing it again soon. It took way longer to get the machine all prepped than it did to actually make my pillowcases.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I'm decent at sewing - in a very basic basic way.  I still have never figured out how to load the bobbin properly.

Most hobby stores will sell basic calligraphy starter kits so you can get started without spending a ton of money.

Being an IT person I can readily swap out a PSU, CPU heatsink, memory dimms, cache node and PCI cards from a HP Proliant DL360 gen 9 server, and have it booted back up in about 15 minutes. But you ask me to load a bobbin on a sewing machine, or even replace a needle and I'm completely stumped - despite looking at a host of "How To..." YouTube videos.

i couldn't even sew a button using one. In fact I was better off just doing it manually 

Edited by Zola
  • Love 1

I have a sewing machine but I prefer to hand sew, I find it soothing.  I've hand sewn curtains for the entire house and I made a slip cover for the dogs couch. I use body pillows when I sleep and I made covers for those too.  I don't know why I'd rather spend hours hand sewing when my machine can do it in seconds but I do. 

Right now I'm starting scarves and hats for everyone I know for next Xmas.

• Love 4

I'm glad I'm not the only one with bobbin issues.  I sew so infrequently that every time I do, I cannot for the life of me remember how the bobbin is threaded and have to go get the instruction manual.  I don't know why that won't stick in my mind, but it just won't.

• Love 3

I can sew things that don't require a pattern. I can't read patterns. I swear they aren't written in English. They're written in some kind of special sewing language.

This year, I am tackling cake decorating. For Christmas, I got a set of Wilton tips and a Wilton instruction book, and I've been teaching myself. None of my cakes look at all professional, but they don't look at all bad for an amateur. I have discovered why bakery cakes cost so much. It takes a lot of time and a lot of ingredients. It's crazy how much powdered sugar I've been going through. Also, no matter how much frosting you make, it's not enough.

• Love 4

@auntlada, cake decorating is something I've always wanted to learn. I've been told that I make the "best tasting, ugliest cakes", lol.  Keep us posted on how you do teaching yourself please.  I'd like to know how it goes. 

I've crocheted blankets since I was a young teenager and after all these years I decided to branch out.  Like I said I'm making scarves and hats for everyone for next xmas. I practiced by making myself a purple scarf, it came out so good I'm making them for everyone.   

I want some new things to do.  I love my few hobbies but I get bored of them after a while. I love hearing what you guys are into and getting some new ideas. Now I'm thinking about trying calligraphy.  I've been told I have pretty handwriting so I might get a starter kit with one of my Michael's gift cards. 

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

That's pretty impressive.  I wasn't blessed with good handwriting.  I can make it legible,  but, it's not pretty.  lol I bet there are some great ideas on You tube or Pinterest. 

Anyone into Genealogy research? I'm thinking about it.  One of my cousin's has already done a bunch.  I gave my dad a Ancestory DNA kit for Christmas.  So, I now know that we have ZERO Native American blood. lol  My grandmother was told that she was part Indian.  Not true.  Daddy is 49% Great Britain. 19% Wales/Scotland/Ireland, 12% Eastern Europe, 8% Iberian Peninsula, 7% Scandinavia, or approximately those numbers.  I may have my own done too.  I suspect that my mother is about the same as his. So, I'll be about the same too.  I GUESSED the results would be like this, based on our family's physical traits, blue eyes, hair, etc. and surnames.  

I've never done it - successfully- but I've thought about it.  I'm less interested in the DNA stuff as I am about learning more about some of the weird snippets I've heard over the years.  

We found out my grandmother had a twin sister that none of her kids knew about when her son was doing genealogy research.  But supposedly we have people on the tree that invented New Math (the worse math), worked as Einstein's assistants, where the villains in a Shakespeare play, owned Covenant Garden, were subjects of TV movie, and got hung and haunt a museum somewhere  in New England.

We literally have no excuse for being as completely boring as we are, but we are.

2 hours ago, auntlada said:

I can sew things that don't require a pattern. I can't read patterns. I swear they aren't written in English. They're written in some kind of special sewing language.

This year, I am tackling cake decorating. For Christmas, I got a set of Wilton tips and a Wilton instruction book, and I've been teaching myself. None of my cakes look at all professional, but they don't look at all bad for an amateur. I have discovered why bakery cakes cost so much. It takes a lot of time and a lot of ingredients. It's crazy how much powdered sugar I've been going through. Also, no matter how much frosting you make, it's not enough.

When I was in high school I worked in the deli at a grocery store, they used to randomly pull me over to decorate cakes.  Given I had no idea how to do that, I thought it was very unfair to the customers who had ordered a personalized birthday cake or something.

On 2/13/2018 at 6:56 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I gave my dad a Ancestory DNA kit for Christmas. 

I'm completely paranoid about these DNA kits.  I have some notion that the data will eventually be sold and used to discriminate against someone or deny insurance benefits under the claim of a pre-existing condition based on the DNA (even if you don't have it).  I hope that I my paranoia is completely baseless, but...excuse me while i go put another layer of foil on my tin hat.

• Love 7

All the sewing talk got me to post.   I am a quilter!     If you can sew a (somewhat) straight line, you can quilt!  There is just something about it that feeds my perfectionist streak.   Plus, fabric is pretty!   What can I say, it’s my zen.  

• Love 2

The reason I got the sewing machine is that I have a bag full of squares my (no longer with us) grandmother had ready to make into a quilt. They were cut from clothes my mom had made for the family back when I was a kid so this would be a multi-generational project. Not that I have made a single move to begin.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I'm completely paranoid about these DNA kits.  I have some notion that the data will eventually be sold and used to discriminate against someone or deny insurance benefits under the claim of a pre-existing condition based on the DNA (even if you don't have it).  I hope that I my paranoia is completely baseless, but...excuse me while i go put another layer of foil on my tin hat.

I hear ya.  I suppose it's possible, but, my dad is 80, so,.....also, you have the option of asking for a health type analysis, but, I did not select that for him.  My dad is very interested in heritage and so he really wanted to do it.  I do have some qualms, but, I will likely do it too, eventually.  I also want to explore the family tree more, but, have been really busy.  It' on my wish list for things to do.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 13/02/2018 at 9:43 PM, Zola said:

So after a couple of weeks trying my hand (literally), with the art of calligraphy I have finally found three fonts that I have practised and practised on to the point where my friend (who initially suggested I get involved in this hobby), has asked me to write some Easter signs and posters for a car boot sale she is organising next month. So it will give me a chance to flaunt my "LD Wedding", "Hummingbird" and "Monte Carlo" font styles with a flourish!

• Love 6