Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: BK, N.Y.

Eph and Nora work on a biological weapon to kill the strigoi, and Setrakian risks the lives of the entire group to find information about a closely guarded secret text. The Master begins the next phase of his own plan, by creating a terrifying new breed of creature and placing them under the control of Kelly.

(edited)

Granny Setrakian seems to have had quite a bit of very specific knowledge about what happened in a secret vampire cave. It's not a bad story, but... how does she know all these details? Did she read The Master's diary?

Damn, he needs a name. The world does not need another old bald vampire named "The Master."

Of course, it also seems to me like that original giant's body should have had a somewhat larger sword cane...

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 2
(edited)

So, I didn't think it was possible, but they picked an even more fucking annoying new kid actor to play Eph's son. First episode of Season 2 and I already want him gone. 

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 11

I like Eph a little bit better when he's drunk.
The Ancients would be a lot scarier if they didn't look like some kind of newfangled artsy dance troupe when they're feeding.
As much as I enjoy a good, evil villain, this shit with the kids is really making it hard to love hating Eichorst.
I wish the Blues Brothers would show up and run him over.
"Vampire Nazis?" "I HATE vampire Nazis!"

• Love 7
(edited)

Too many commercials.

So The Master was a gentle soul before being turned by a Ancient.

Not here for Zack 2.0. With his disrespectful little ass.

Abe's old ass needs to stop going on field trips alone.

Those poor children, I hate Eichorst.

Nora and Eph have stepped up their fight game, time for clothing more suited for battle.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 2

Not a bad premiere. It set up the upcoming season nicely. 

I have to say that what happened to those poor children was better than the horrors that I was steeling myself for. 

The Ancients feeding off that poor guy was brutal. If they are the good vampires, God help human beings as a species. I don't get why Abraham did not tell the others or at least Fet about his encounter with the Ancients. I loved his silver bombs and stack of weapons. He is so bad ass. I felt for that couple hiding in their storage unit. It was not the wisest move, but they must have been desperate and had nowhere else to go.

I don't understand what the federal government thinks is going on in NYC. Send in the National Guard? You would think that with CDC, City government, and the Governor, there would be more knowledge about the real source of the epidemic and a lot more urgency about how to deal with it.

Palmer is so damn obnoxious and arrogant. He seems to have no real concept of the destruction that he is bringing down on humanity or he does not care. He really thinks that his wealth and power makes him a "partner" with such a powerful immortal evil being. He could be Donald Trump. 

Good to see Corey Stoll without the wig in the previews.

• Love 2

You had to mention Trump and wigs in the same post, didn't you? 

Please please please let Eldritch go very, very bald very, very quickly and try to disguise it by wearing an orangutan-orange wig!Either that, or let him finally get turned all the way, only to have his dick fall off right before his big baseball date with... my closed captioning is not actually working... Coocamoosha?

(edited)

I am still nauseated from the Ancient vomiting those worms on Sardu. Oh, and don't get me started on that nut sac hanging from the Ancient's throat.

Creepy Teuton aka Eichorst was so over Eldrich flirting with the new girl.

Once Fruit Punch mouth mentioned children and then you saw the children at school, you knew it wasn't going to end well.

Edited by FlowerofCarnage
  • Love 4

Granny Setrakian seems to have had quite a bit of very specific knowledge about what happened in a secret vampire cave. It's not a bad story, but... how does she know all these details? Did she read The Master's diary?

Damn, he needs a name. The world does not need another old bald vampire named "The Master."

Of course, it also seems to me like that original giant's body should have had a somewhat larger sword cane...

It's a folktale (oral tradition more like) that was handed down. It supposed to have some truths, but most of it is probably hogwash meant to scare kids. I think Guillermo should direct the entire show, the quality...

Anyway, I think this show is massively improved over season 1. The characters are competent and proactive. I am shocked. If this continues and the show focuses on the fall of society, this could be far better than The Walking Dead.

I wish Hollywood would stop making every lead's family drama the center of the story. I don't care and I know you ain't killing off the kid. Stop it.

• Love 5

I wish Hollywood would stop making every lead's family drama the center of the story. I don't care and I know you ain't killing off the kid. Stop it.

I'm hoping that now that it looks like Kelly is going to have some intelligence again (like Eichorst) that she'll show up, the stupid son character will be kidnapped & taken to the Master, and off my screen for the majority of the time!

• Love 6
(edited)

I can't see how most of the story's mythos was hogwash. Sardu's body and sword still exist, so obviously so did he. It wasn't some ancient tale; the hunters were carrying muskets. And Sardu's body does host The Master. 

A normal version of the tale would be "Kindly giant, blah blah, turned into a monster, blah blah, became super evil, yadda yadda ydda." Maybe add some obvious fictional embellishments like he can turn into a bat or whatever, but everything we saw or heard actually fits the "reality" of what we've been watching. 

I believe that the story is completely true. I'm just baffled about about who first told it. 

Although.. The Master does have a history of bragging and taunting his enemies way more than is healthy. So maybe he did shoot his mouth off a few times at some nineteenth century Slavic storyteller. I can't say it wouldn't be in character for him.

ETA: I just realized: Chekhov's Lesson alert:

Any time you see a group of kids learning something in class, it ends up being very important to them very soon.

Today's class consisted entirely of having Newton's Third Law explained to them twice.

Please let there be some kind of completely awesome payoff to that.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 2
Too many commercials.

This is the first time I've watched it live, and it felt like 45 minutes worth of commercials.

I was really hoping they'd shipped Zach off to New Hampshire or something, but recasting him is a step in the right direction; this kid at least seems capable of emoting. Still whiny and irrational, but that's to be expected. The Ancients' feeding session was all kinds of excessive, I mean, were the lashings really necessary? 

I thought at the end of last season that it was all out pandemonium in NYC (looting, roving vampire gangs, offices and buildings over taken, rampant infection etc.) but, people are still sending their kids to school and going to work like normal? 

Please tell me they're not going there with Palmer and that Coco girl because....Ewww. He is repulsive in every way, and doesn't deserve a love life.

Setrakian is as ornery as ever, and I'm loving his and Fet's budding friendship. It's cute how protective Fet is of him.

• Love 2

Good to see Corey Stoll without the wig in the previews.

The Commodore (TM Wig Cop) distracted me through the whole show. I didn't see the previews, or I wouldn't have been musing since the airing that my head hair would be the first thing to go (well, after makeup) in the vampire apocalypse. I only wash my long hair once a week as it is; fuck keep-up at the end of the world. It's going into cornrows or getting shaved. People on this show walking around with Breck shine and bounce are killing me.
  • Love 4

I can't see how most of the story's mythos was hogwash. Sardu's body and sword still exist, so obviously so did he. It wasn't some ancient tale; the hunters were carrying muskets. And Sardu's body does host The Master. 

A normal version of the tale would be "Kindly giant, blah blah, turned into a monster, blah blah, became super evil, yadda yadda ydda." Maybe add some obvious fictional embellishments like he can turn into a bat or whatever, but everything we saw or heard actually fits the "reality" of what we've been watching. 

I believe that the story is completely true. I'm just baffled about about who first told it. 

Although.. The Master does have a history of bragging and taunting his enemies way more than is healthy. So maybe he did shoot his mouth off a few times at some nineteenth century Slavic storyteller. I can't say it wouldn't be in character for him.

I never meant to imply all of it was made up. The entire encounter at the cave was something made up by the teller, because obviously she wasn't there to witness the event. The whole thing with Yusef rapping on the window was added to scare kids, because not even an immortal would risk the wrath of an entire town/village/castle/whatever doing something so openly malevolent.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, an immortal stupid enough to brag to his prey species that he has the power to switch bodies might be stupid enough to do anything. He's certainly capable of understanding the concept of stealth and cunning, but in the long run it does not seem to suit his ego. Makes me wonder what the names of the other six are. I'm thinking something along the lines of Eaty, Drinky, Sucky, Stingy, Drainy, Feasty, and... MASTER!

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

I like Eph a little bit better when he's drunk.

The Ancients would be a lot scarier if they didn't look like some kind of newfangled artsy dance troupe when they're feeding.

Really! I wanted to yell at them, "just go ahead and suck the apparently penisless guy dry!"
  • Love 1
(edited)
I don't understand what the federal government thinks is going on in NYC. Send in the National Guard? You would think that with CDC, City government, and the Governor, there would be more knowledge about the real source of the epidemic and a lot more urgency about how to deal with it.

I still don't see how there's still a functioning anything in NYC -- the mayor is having press conferences packed with reporters and the real estate agent is able to sub in at the last minute like there's nothing odd going on.  Packs of Vombies are roaming the streets (at night), there are fires all over the place, weren't they also closing some bridges because of incidents.  Plus, didn't Dutch basically disable the Internet and telecom systems for Palmer last season.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 6
(edited)

Okay, didn't expect it to be 1 1/2 so I was up way past my bedtime but you know what that was actually quite enjoyable. I especially enjoyed the Sardu folktale, which was kinda hookey but still fun. I can't believe after all this time, dude is still walking around wearing the same damn brown cape from centuries ago. Either they really don't make them like they used to or the Master takes really good care of vestments. 

Count me in as not understanding why life continues to grind on in NYC as usual. You would think the rest of the federal government, hell the world would be watching and doing something. That is the weakest spot in this show.

So happy to see my baby Fet. Loved him clucking over Setrakian and worrying about him eating like a concerned Yiddish mama. So cute!

I'm still loving to hate Eichorst. He is a Nazi, turning blind children into a tool of the Master seems par for the course. Loving his side eyes during the Eldricht and real estate woman flirting, which truly was a disgusting sight to behold. I hope that was the woman just trying to make a sale or working undercover for the Elders or just your garden variety Anna Nicole type golddigger because ewwww!!! Now she looks set to become the Smithers to his Mr. Burns. 

Eichorst looks like he has had it with taking Eldricht's shit and can't wait until he isn't useful anymore so he can eat him. 

If there are 7 ancients, I wonder what happened to the other 3? Did Setrakian or some other hunter get them? 

Yes, the new kid is still a brat but he is a vast improvement acting-wise over the last one so tentative YAH!

Nora seems to be adapting better to this new world. I like. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 4

what im wondering is the warrior type dudes that work for the 3 ancients. where si they come from and is there sole pur[ose to bring the master back to them. eff has some issues on his hands with this new kid i can see him getting into alot of trouble because of him. and i wonder what the plan is for ef's wife now that she is the chosen one.

So what's with the title? Is the Master holed up at Burger King?

'Cause, that Burger King guy is scary enough, even without a giant mouth-tentacle.

What makes you think the Burger King doesn't already have a giant mouth-tentacle?

Abe's old ass needs to stop going on field trips alone.

Why? He's more effective on his own than when surrounded by the clown car of assistant vampire killers.

• Love 4
(edited)

I forgot how hilarious The Master looked. Heh. Anyway, by the end of S1 I wanted everyone dead except for Fet, Setrakian and Dutch and my opinion hasn't changed.

I still don't see how there's still a functioning anything in NYC -- the mayor is having press conferences packed with reporters and the real estate agent is able to sub in at the last minute like there's nothing odd going on.  Packs of Vombies are roaming the streets (at night), there are fires all over the place, weren't they also closing some bridges because of incidents.  Plus, didn't Dutch basically disable the Internet and telecom systems for Palmer last season.

There are many things I find maddening about his show by that's the biggest problem I have. Just what is the level of damage in NYC? We have our Merry Band of Idiots vampire proofing their place, they're running into vamps at the hospital and a storage facility, and Gus (Is that his name?) is down with the rat-like looking dudes guarding the Elders (who all look like they're wearing sad long-johns) and watching them feed on people. So, based on our leads, you think bad shit has gone down and it's just gonna get worse.

And yet. . . . big fancy real estate deals are going down, swanky press conferences are happening and blind kids are still making it to school fine. Hell, you can see people just walking around like nothing has happened at all in the background of scenes. Why aren't there police everywhere? Where's the military? Where's the press? Why are people wandering around like its a regular day?  

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 8

...Gus (Is that his name?) is down with the rat-like looking dudes guarding the Elders (who all look like they're wearing sad long-johns)...

This made me laugh! I, too, was wondering, what's with the baggy knees and elbows? Did they all do hot yoga and their workout wear is stretched out? Did they all lose a significant amount of weight and now need mommy makeovers?
  • Love 6
(edited)

Anyone else had the urge to yell "STAY IN THE HOUSE CARL!" at their tv?

Uggggg I know! He went from a Hallmart kid in season one, to an annoying season 2 Carl rip off. Dear God, why is he here?!

Other than that, I did actually like this episode. I just binged the whole first season, and yeah, it has MAJOR flaws, but I still see potential here. Plus, Vet, Dutch, Gus, and Setrakian are still the best. Nora has gotten a lot better as well, now that she has committed to Team Humans. 

Its really not PC to say, but Eph really is more likable when he drinks. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

Why aren't there police everywhere? Where's the military? Where's the press? Why are people wandering around like its a regular day?  

Ninety per cent of them are just obsessively poking at their cell phones over and over again, waiting for communications to magically resume. That's ninety per cent of everybody. Ninety per cent of the police, ninety per cent of the National Guard, ninety per cent of the reporters, and ninety per cent of the crazies who have been hoarding AK47s and katanas waiting for the zombie apocalypse. So with only the remaining ten per cent out there, daytime scenes are understandably far less crowded than they should be.

So, that was a new actor playing Zach?  I thought he looked different.  Not that I really care since Zach is the worst.  What is it with these type of shows bring out the most annoying child characters possible?  I wanted one of the adults to just finally tell him to shut his pie-hole.  At the very least, Dutch should have taken back the soda, after he bitched about being warm like a little asshole.

Besides him though, didn't really have any problems with anyone else.  Vasiliy and Abraham continue to be my favorites.  I especially love how protective Vasiliy was of Abe, because, while I think he does like the old fellow, I think also knows how boned they would probably be without him and certainly how annoying the rest would be without him.  Those two together and kicking ass, will never get old for me.  Still, Nora seems to have improved now that she's gotten past her no killing policy.  Dutch is still cool, even if she seems regulated hanging back at the base.

And Ephraim!  I actually didn't hate Eph!  And it was probably because he was totally drunk.  I think the reason what it kind of allowed himself to point out his own shortcomings and acknowledge he is a jerk, so that gave him some self-awareness that he was lacking last season.  He should be drunk more often, I think.

No surprise, Palmer is letting his new lease in life, turn him into a egomaniac.  If he really thinks that he is "partners" with The Master, he has another thing coming.  And what was up with him flirting with that realtor lady?  Especially her seeming to enjoy it and his company?  Am I'm suppose to believe that whatever The Master did some how made him more appealing?

Eichorst continues to be the best at being the worst.  So, I'm guessing he used those blind kids to be the new vampire soldiers for Kelly, right?  Yep, Kelly's back in Vampire Mode, and clearly is going to play a big part in The Master's plan.

Stoneheart seems to have a tight grip on NYC, now.  The government sure doesn't seem to be able to do shit.  On the opposite side, it now looks like Eph and crew think that a vaccine and cure isn't doable, but finding a virus that kills vamps but not humans, might be the way to go.  Also, I'm guessing the reason Eph told Vasiliy to spare that redshirt couple, was because he wants to experiment on them.

I still have no idea what they are trying to do with The Ancients and especially Gus.  

• Love 1
(edited)

All Eldritch Palmers really needs to know is that if somebody insists that you only refer to them as "Master," they probably do not consider you to be an equal partner.

And no "Maestro" jokes allowed! Because there have actually already been two bald masters of the undead played by Mark Metcalf, and Lippy McHuge is not one of them.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 2
(edited)
If this continues and the show focuses on the fall of society, this could be far better than The Walking Dead.

Unlikely. I don’t think they have it in them. For example, the scene last season where Eph had to make a choice whether to shoot his now turned wife through the window while his son was nearby was a pretty blatant rip-off of Morgan’s scene with the rifle in TWD S01E01 in an attempt to draw the viewers into the emotional conflict facing the survivors. Only Lennie James and TWD writers nailed it while it came out as ridiculous on The Strain.

One can hope though, that the plot result is going to be the same.

Son gets killed (off screen) by turned mom due to dad's failure to take her out.

That revelation was a sad event in the TWD, but will be a cause for celebration for us if the Strain copies that too.

Edited by Trek
  • Love 2

Anyone else had the urge to yell "STAY IN THE HOUSE CARL!" at their tv?

When Zack 2.0 was mouthing off to Eph.

Nope. I was "Sure, go on out there. Throw some knives. . . Get eaten. .  Then I will be done with you."

Add me as a fan of Drunk Eph. 

• Love 1

Was expecting something realistic about the ending, especially given references to a global outbreak. Yet various public utilities are still working, some still go about their business, etc.

You had to mention Trump and wigs in the same post, didn't you? 

Please please please let Eldritch go very, very bald very, very quickly and try to disguise it by wearing an orangutan-orange wig!

It's not a wig, it's a worm colony.  #hopeyouatelunchalready

• Love 2

The only person I missed was the character who was Palmer's assistant last season who left in the last episode. I really liked him-especially when he let Dutch and Fet go rather than kill them as he had been instructed. I hope he joins up with our vampire squad.

And I totally bought Palmer's flirting with the real estate agent and her willingness to go along with it because, as in real life, he is RICH and there is always someone who is willing to put up with an old egomaniac for that kind of money (while the rest of us just go EWWWWWWW!).

I thought our vampire hunters were surprisingly competent in taking out the vombies, they really learned quickly how to use those swords and duck the tongues.

Hard to see exactly what happened to the blind kids (it was dark), but it sounds creepy and I guess we'll see more in future episodes.  I wonder if there is a difference between those that were blind from birth and those who became blind later.

If there were seven ancients, with the Master being a rogue, how come we only saw 3?

And agree with the others that for all NYC seemed to be in complete lockdown and chaos last season, it seems awfully put back together now.  It would seem to me that with the 100% fatality rate, the entire city would be vombiefied or food within a matter of days.

(edited)

I loved this episode. Abe, Fet, Eichorst continue to be why I watch. Loved, loved Eichort's expression during the whole Palmer flirting episode. And while I cannot stand Palmer, his telling Eichorst to drop the whole the Master will or won't bit was hilarious.

Seriously. I kept waiting for jazz hands.

I had to laugh at how the Vamp Squad leader was all "we need to go, they need to feed" and then everyone just stood around watching the guy get eaten.

I can't stand new Zach. I also would have grabbed that soda back after he complained about it being warm. And maybe asked him to go work on reinforcing the building from the outside. At night. And then "accidentally" locked the doors on him.

Nora is much improved this time around, and I'm glad that she, and much cooler, drunk Eph are working on a plan. Hopefully Dutch will get something to do soon, besides babysit Zach. I was expecting more with her and Fet, but maybe that's still to come.

I don't think it's a spoiler since it was in the previews, but to be safe - 

was that Dutch chained up, probably by Eichorst? I'd be surpised if she lasts the season.

I also hope they do something to clarify the state of NYC...it took me out of the show a bit to see that everything looks...well, kind of normal, really.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 1

So, that was a new actor playing Zach?  I thought he looked different.  Not that I really care since Zach is the worst.  What is it with these type of shows bring out the most annoying child characters possible?

Death is Not an Option:  New Zach, Old Zach, or Season 2 Carl from Walking Dead?

Yep, I'd keep Carl, but that's only because I have the benefit of knowing that he becomes kind of awesome later.

I finally got around to watching this last night, and I will say the pacing is much improved. Fet is love, and this new Nora is much more believable with the outbreak and all. The Commodore looked even worse than last season, if that's possible, and I also miss Palmer's awesome assistant and hope he shows up again.

• Love 1

Hate the new Zach.  At least the original was cute kid.  Also, Season 1 Zack was never that rude or disrespectful to people.  Did they decide to change his characterization along with the actor?

What in the hell were they doing to the poor blind kids???

(edited)

Fet and Setrakian remain the best characters. Dutch was cool along with them.

The others remain annoying:

-Eph having ice with his drinks (Yeah, Zach, everyone has to make sacrifices so drink that warm soda)

-Nora wearing heels (you could hear her every step when they were in their old office)

-Zach

Edited by Vodka
  • Love 1
(edited)

So Yusef's brother took him into the woods to... find a special wolf? Are there going to be werewolves in this show now? I mean, if one legend is true why not another?

The Ancients are crap at drinking blood. Do you see how much is on the ground? And they sleep on hand trucks!

Every time one of the Abe Team kills a vamp up close and wormy juice goes flying everywhere, I wonder how they're not all infected.

Oh and what the heck with Abe looking about 6 years old in 1933? He was a grown man when he was in the concentration camp.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 3

So Yusef's brother took him into the woods to... find a special wolf? Are there going to be werewolves in this show now? I mean, if one legend is true why not another?

The Ancients are crap at drinking blood. Do you see how much is on the ground? And they sleep on hand trucks!

Every time one of the Abe Team kills a vamp up close and wormy juice goes flying everywhere, I wonder how they're not all infected.

Oh and what the heck with Abe looking about 6 years old in 1933? He was a grown man when he was in the concentration camp.

If I recall correctly, they went to hunt a grey wolf. No one wolf, mind, just a grey wolf. As for the last bit, it depends on when he got to the camps really. He could have been 15-16, looking more mature from all danger. Also likely, the writers have no sense of time scale. Think (the modern version of) The Mummy (events happen in 1926) and The Mummy Returns (events happen in 1933). Alex is seven, but (ex)claims he's 8 at one point.