Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Episode 4

• Start Topic

From certain angles Jack Farthing (George) resembles Hugh Grant.

To me, he looks like Grant from every angle. Sounds like him, too. I love his performance. There's an old-style dash to the way he does it. 

• Love 3

I am enjoying this series & I've never read the books or saw the original 70's version.  I like everything about it except the decision to put soooo much make up on Elizabeth.  None of the other women look as made up as she is.  The purple-mauve lipstick is so jarringly anachronistic (I love the shade but it's not 18th century) & the peachy eyeshadow is too obvious.  She looks like she just came from a make over session at Sephora in every scene. 

• Love 7

I am enjoying this series & I've never read the books or saw the original 70's version.  I like everything about it except the decision to put soooo much make up on Elizabeth.  None of the other women look as made up as she is.  The purple-mauve lipstick is so jarringly anachronistic (I love the shade but it's not 18th century) & the peachy eyeshadow is too obvious.  She looks like she just came from a make over session at Sephora in every scene. 

The actress insists that she wore no lipstick at all, only a touch of gloss, and that's what her lips just naturally look like.

So one thing I was having trouble with in last night's episodes is how outright rude I found the Warleggans at the Christmas dinner.  I mean, I know that people of higher rank often get away with that kind of behavior, but there was no subtlety to them at all.  (I guess the best I can compare it to is Miss Bingley in Pride & Prejudice and as rude as she could be, I don't think she would make outright comments about a dinner guest without someone calling her out on it).

• Love 3

I think they felt they could get away with it because Demelza is so outside their class. I wish Ross had done more to stop them, though Demelza held her own pretty well, considering it was her first time there and she was really nervous.

• Love 4
(edited)

I was happy until I came here and read about all the scenes we missed.   It sounds like they cut half the episode and any romantic scene between Ross and Demelza where he lifts her to his horse, should never be cut.

Agreed. When I was thinking about how the UK program might be edited by PBS, the first rule I came up with was that no interaction between Ross and Demelza (romantic or otherwise) should ever be deleted. Discovering that PBS was not following that rule was one of the reasons I quickly sprang for the uncut versions on iTunes. There are plenty of staring-at-the-sea montages that could be shortened by half without affecting the show in the slightest, so why a conversation between the two leads would be removed instead baffles me.

Edited by Nampara
  • Love 7

I will hereby enter my weekly nitpick and declare that it is exceedingly unlikely that Demelza would know which harp string to pluck to find her start note. I've looked to see when colored harp strings came into use, but I can't find (on a cursory googling) any reference before the early 1800s, which if true make their appearance here an anachronism. But maybe not.

I am loving Ruby Bentall (Minnie! From Lark Rise!) as Verity. 

I wonder if the arrival of the fish was cgi'd. Probably, right? Still, totally cool.

• Love 4

I think Ross quickly realized that he didn't have to step in. Demelza showed that she could more than hold her own when Ruth Treneglos made the passive-aggressive dig at Verity.

Yes, to be fair, I think Ross recognized that being too quick to her defense wouldn't help Demelza, and also, to be even more fair, Elizabeth actually helped Demelza in that scene.  While I don't fault Ross for not stepping up to help Demelza, it still would have been nice to see someone calling out Ruth's bad behavior for what it was.

• Love 3

So one thing I was having trouble with in last night's episodes is how outright rude I found the Warleggans at the Christmas dinner.  I mean, I know that people of higher rank often get away with that kind of behavior, but there was no subtlety to them at all.  (I guess the best I can compare it to is Miss Bingley in Pride & Prejudice and as rude as she could be, I don't think she would make outright comments about a dinner guest without someone calling her out on it).

The chick throwing the insults was Ruth Treneglos nee Teague. Her mother was trying to set her up with Ross in episode 1 (the scene where they go to Nampara and comment about farming being a hobby).

this was the best episode so far - until this point I've been fairly bored with this show.  Demelza was just wonderful and really coming into her own.  I think she's a good match for Poldark.

• Love 3

What was the reason given for the unannounced drop-in at Trenwith in time for the Christmas Eve feast? The timing didn't seem proper, though I'm by no means well-versed in etiquette of the day.

It did serve to show them all Demelza apart from a lowly "kitchen wench" status, so I liked that.

• Love 2

This was my favorite episode so far. Demelza is such a lovely girl and I totally believed that she was able to win some folks over. Even in her awkward moments she has a coltish charm that enchants you. 

• Love 2

What was the reason given for the unannounced drop-in at Trenwith in time for the Christmas Eve feast? The timing didn't seem proper, though I'm by no means well-versed in etiquette of the day.

It did serve to show them all Demelza apart from a lowly "kitchen wench" status, so I liked that.

He said "We're here to extend the compliments of the Season".  Yeah, right.  Arriving at dinnertime for a freebie.

• Love 3

The actress insists that she wore no lipstick at all, only a touch of gloss, and that's what her lips just naturally look like.

Oh, give me a break!  It was not as dramatic this week, but in earlier episodes, she was wearing bright lipstick.  I know what gloss is!  I said in the first episode thread how anachronistic she looked with such vibrant lipstick.

Agreed. When I was thinking about how the UK program might be edited by PBS, the first rule I came up with was that no interaction between Ross and Demelza (romantic or otherwise) should ever be deleted. Discovering that PBS was not following that rule was one of the reasons I quickly sprang for the uncut versions on iTunes. There are plenty of staring-at-the-sea montages that could be shortened by half without affecting the show in the slightest, so why a conversation between the two leads would be removed instead baffles me.

Oh, I did not realize the uncut episodes are on iTunes!  I would spring for this one! 

I will hereby enter my weekly nitpick and declare that it is exceedingly unlikely that Demelza would know which harp string to pluck to find her start note. I've looked to see when colored harp strings came into use, but I can't find (on a cursory googling) any reference before the early 1800s, which if true make their appearance here an anachronism. But maybe not.

Actually, yes, harp strings on "c" and "f" were colored in earlier centuries; but I also thought it was odd that Demelza would take a note from the harp.  Maybe Verity really did teach her something about music!  Are there other singing scenes in the uncut episodes? 

He said "We're here to extend the compliments of the Season".  Yeah, right.  Arriving at dinnertime for a freebie.

That was VERY peculiar!  It is not like they were out cruising around in a convertible looking for the lights on somewhere.  They would have to make a special trip to Trenwith -- and on Christmas Eve???

By the way, why did Ross/Demelza walk to Trenwith?  It looked cold, and would have been much faster on horseback. 

• Love 4

Both houses (as portrayed in the books apologies! It can't be helped!) are within walking distances of each other. My issue with that scene was that their clothing didn't reflect the cold. That 'walking scene' always bothered me. If the taps are freezing, then it's surely very cold?

• Love 2

This episode turned my liking the show to my loving the show. So many moments where I swooned like a maiden. When he turned her around passionately in the kitchen, to when he first viewed her in her dress at christmas and then referring to her as his love in bed. I loved the pregnancy reveal. It almost makes me want to surprise my husband like that but it's not likely I'd get the same reaction!

• Love 5
(edited)

Both houses (as portrayed in the books apologies! It can't be helped!) are within walking distances of each other. My issue with that scene was that their clothing didn't reflect the cold. That 'walking scene' always bothered me. If the taps are freezing, then it's surely very cold?

But Ross is always shown galloping to Trenwith on a horse -- that is what surprised me.  Someone in an earlier episode had done the math on the distance between the houses, which was around three miles, if I am recalling correctly. 

What is the house they are using for the interiors? 

ETA:  I found it:  Chavenage House, Gloucestershire

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Chavenage-House-Gloucestershire-visitor-numbers/story-26223330-detail/story.html

Other locations:

http://www.cornwalltoday.co.uk/map-poldark-2015-filming-locations-around-cornwall/

Edited by jjj

Ok, that made my ovaries sigh. The way he looked at her through the whole episode? Sometimes words are unnecessary but thank goodness he ended his speech with the L word. They are so lovely together.

Loved the scenes with Verity teaching Demelza to be a lady. She's a good friend and great sister-figure. I'm glad Elizabeth and Francis were kind to Demelza too.

• Love 6

She plucked one note. If she has relative pitch she could start on any note. Also maybe she was paying attention when Elizabeth played and Thiught that would be q good note to start on.

I really wish people would stop talking about the books and Whats coming. It's disconcerting.

I loved this episode.

• Love 4
(edited)
harp strings on "c" and "f" were colored in earlier centuries

Good to know. Interesting!

If the taps are freezing, then it's surely very cold?

Depending upon the situation of the tap in question, maybe 30 degrees F, maybe less. Which, if you're a hardy Cornish dude and dudette, is only mildly refreshing. :)

Edited by attica
  • Love 3

It was nice to see Ross less broody tonight, but I did have to laugh that his explanation to Demelza about why she should go to his cousin's for Christmas was, "I am offended that you'd think I would be into a snob."  Not exactly the thing I would want to hear from my husband.

I really loved the way they filmed the scene with Demelza singing, because you could see Elizabeth in the background, and her realization why Ross married Demelza. (And that Ross was in love with his wife).

Finally got to watch it tonight, and I was laughing at Ross's conversation with Demelza about the Christmas invite.  "Ross... Read. The. Room."  LOL  Man just wasn't getting it.  I was very glad to see him get it, later. :-)

For as critical as I have been of this show, I must say that I really enjoyed this episode.  Only one thing made me go "huh?" and that was when all the women of the village were standing on the cliffs waiting for the fish to come in.  Really?  They couldn't just post one person to be available to ring the bell when the boats were spotted, so that the rest could get on with all the millions of chores they must have had waiting at home?  Ok, then.

But that tiny little bit barely threw me out of the episode.  I loved Demelza and Verity.  I loved Demelza and Ross.  I loved her tackling Jud... rewound that part just to see it again.  All and all, a really solid episode, and I especially loved that Ross finally realized what a treasure he stumbled onto when he found her.  Also glad that Elizabeth saw his feelings for Demelza.

Good, good episode.  Happy me. :-)

• Love 4

[Harp strings:]  Good to know. Interesting!

To be clear:  not all harps had colored strings.  But the tradition when there are colored strings is very old. 

(edited)

For as critical as I have been of this show, I must say that I really enjoyed this episode.  Only one thing made me go "huh?" and that was when all the women of the village were standing on the cliffs waiting for the fish to come in.  Really?  They couldn't just post one person to be available to ring the bell when the boats were spotted, so that the rest could get on with all the millions of chores they must have had waiting at home?  Ok, then

Lol this quote reminds me of another scene that was cut when Ross met with the Gentlemen for the shareholder's meeting on the bay? quay? (somebody help me out??!!) Apologies English is not my first language. Dr. Choake sees the women standing over the edge and says something like, ' how nice to have all day with nothing to do except to admire the view'!! And Ross answers in a brusque tone something like, 'they would rather be you this Christmas'. I was amused by the silent war that went on through out the episode between him and Dr. Choake.

I think the fact that everyone was on the look out was to emphasize the fact that things were getting a little desperate for the villagers as mentioned earlier by one of the women, that the pilchards were late in coming.

Edited by skyways
  • Love 3
(edited)

Oh, I did not realize the uncut episodes are on iTunes!  I would spring for this one!

iTunes is $20 for HD and $15 for SD, with a few featurettes added. Good ol' PBS is cutting out at least 10 percent of each episode!

Edited by Nampara
  • Love 1

iTunes is $20 for HD and $15 for SD, with a few featurettes added. Good ol' PBS is cutting out at least 10 percent of each episode!

Great!  It is taking a long time to download each episode, but I will do my rewatching on the uncut iTunes episodes.  Thanks for the tip! 

If you don't mind watching the episodes through what looks like yellow gauze, all of season one is on youtube--obviously they could be taken down at any time, I have decided just to wait and watch them on PBS cuts and all.

• Love 1

Notice too, the freeloaders didn't decline the invitation to the meal with "No thank you, we've already had our dinner." It was like "All right! Free eats for us to-night! Woo-hoo"

I

• Love 3
They couldn't just post one person to be available to ring the bell when the boats were spotted, so that the rest could get on with all the millions of chores they must have had waiting at home?

There was an awful lot of sea to keep an eye on. I'm assuming they weren't all looking at the same bit, but had a 'quadrant' each to monitor, or something to that effect. I'm sure that if one person would have done, one person would have been doing it.

• Love 2
By the way, why did Ross/Demelza walk to Trenwith?  It looked cold, and would have been much faster on horseback.

For some reason, I speculated that because the mine (and Ross) was running out money, he sold the horse to get some more capital to survive through Christmas. Just my speculation. I don't remember seeing the horse after the Christmas part.

The ladies looking out the water. Again, I thought it was something like they checked at low tide (would it be low tide) everyone day to wait for the boats to come in, and it was to show the constant desperation and hope these people had. They weren't there all day every day, was how I viewed it. Only say for a half an hour while walking home or after chores were done, they went out to the cliffs.

Demelza singing totally brought me to tears and I have no idea why. Such a lovely scene. The look on that miserable bitchy woman (I forget her name) was priceless. I wished Demelza would have slapped her for all of the mean comments at dinner, or at least got in a few more good zingers. The uncut version of the episode, that woman is worse and just mean.

I felt for Demelza though - to have to deal the the other "uppercrust" at Christmas, all while knowing they are judging you and looking down their noses at you. She is a wonderful character and her and Verity are so much fun together. Verity needs someone lively to hang with, as she herself is lively.

Francis, Francis, Francis. I know you are jealous and insecure, but sleeping with prostitutes isn't going to make you wife any more loyal.

Though I hate storylines with babies, this one didn't grate. The way Demelza told Verity the news, then Ross, then his reaction. I loved it. And him telling her why they married. He was completely truthful then romantic at the same time. Love this show.

• Love 4
(edited)
Notice too, the freeloaders didn't decline the invitation to the meal with "No thank you, we've already had our dinner." It was like "All right! Free eats for us to-night! Woo-hoo"

Not only that, but one of the men said something like, "Is that swan I smell roasting?" They couldn't have been more passive-aggressive about wanting to stay for dinner. Heh.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

There was an awful lot of sea to keep an eye on. I'm assuming they weren't all looking at the same bit, but had a 'quadrant' each to monitor, or something to that effect. I'm sure that if one person would have done, one person would have been doing it.

It looked like a bay or inlet. Most likely the boats would come in at a certain angle or spot in order to avoid rocks, sand bars, etc. So the women are probably watching that shipping lane area. And all were armed with baskets presumably in order to get the first pickings when the boats did arrive.

This was the era of sailing vessels, so I could have imagined the anticipation when the vessels were spotted and were sailing in. I could also imagine the growing frustration if the vessels had to beat into the harbor/landing spot because they would see the boats zig-zagging their way in rather than coming directly into harbor the way motorized vessels do (because motorized vessels can sail directly into the wind, sailing vessels cannot).

Not only that, but one of the men said something like, "Is that swan I smell roasting?" They couldn't have been more passive-aggressive about wanting to stay for dinner. Heh.

I wonder how they got around the Act of Swans  of 1482

• Love 3

By the way, why did Ross/Demelza walk to Trenwith?  It looked cold, and would have been much faster on horseback. 

I was looking for their luggage, even an overnight-type bag.  They stayed the night, and we know Demelza had another dress.  I guess they'll have it sent back to them.

I don't think the clifftop women were watching for boats. There was dialogue along the line that they were watching for pilchards, the fish. From that height, you could see the school in the water (plus the seagulls feasting on them). The bell signaled the boats to go out and haul 'em in, since there was no reason for the men to be out in boats if there were no fish and so many other chores to do.

• Love 6

I don't think the clifftop women were watching for boats. There was dialogue along the line that they were watching for pilchards, the fish. From that height, you could see the school in the water (plus the seagulls feasting on them). The bell signaled the boats to go out and haul 'em in, since there was no reason for the men to be out in boats if there were no fish and so many other chores to do.

Good point! You would be able to see a school of fish from that angle (especially in the days when fish were abundant.)

In a way, it's odd that there are no 'professional' fishermen in that area. But then in an earlier episode, Ross and Demelza went to Sawle (or was it Truro?) and got fish, so maybe no one bothered to fish.

I was looking for their luggage, even an overnight-type bag.  They stayed the night, and we know Demelza had another dress.  I guess they'll have it sent back to them.

Or a servant (probably a Trenwith servant because I don't see Jud doing any work and I do see Verity being kind enough) brought their overnight bags to and fro for them.

• Love 1
(edited)

I felt for Demelza though - to have to deal the the other "uppercrust" at Christmas, all while knowing they are judging you and looking down their noses at you.

I kept thinking that upstart bitchy Ruth should spend an evening with Lady Catherine de Bourg to find out how it feels to be looked down on and judged. Edited by Haleth
  • Love 7
I kept thinking that upstart bitchy Ruth should spend an evening with Lady Catherine de Bourg to find out how it feels to be looked down on and judged.

Here here! This is where I want that typical trope of a snotty arrogant person getting their comeuppance. Just terrible people. Snob snob snob. And the worst part to me - is that woman in this time are considered second-class citizens, yet it is the women in these cases that are treating other women like crap and ensuring she remains a "lower class" person. The men do it here on this show terribly also, but come on ladies...

Of course, nothing has changed - same crap happens today but it's just disappointing. That why I loved Verity saying "I don't care where you came from." and Elizabeth finally being nice to Demelza and treating her respectfully. Yes, it could be seen as her wanting to get close to Ross, but honestly. I think she was just being nice and accepting of Demelza.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think much of Ruth Treneglos' comments arose from hurt pride: that Ross brushed off attempts at her mama's matchmaking and married Demelza instead.  If Ross ended up marrying, say, Ann Elliot from Austen's Persuasion  or Emma Woodhouse, I don't think she would have been as horrid because , as a baronet's daughter, Ann is socially higher and Emma would be a social peer. But the fact that Ross choose a miner's daughter over her is unforgivably, unforgivable!

Editing to add....I think the men take it better because one of their class marrying a kitchen wench satisfies or appeals to some type of sexual fantasy *wink wink nudge nudge*. So yeah, on the surface it's "How dare Ross snub his nose at convention! What a disgrace" but inside (and it doesn't have to be that deep inside) it's "Atta boy Ross! Now you don't have to pay for it! Woof Woof Hoot Hoot!"

Edited by Milz
  • Love 5

Editing to add....I think the men take it better because one of their class marrying a kitchen wench satisfies or appeals to some type of sexual fantasy *wink wink nudge nudge*. So yeah, on the surface it's "How dare Ross snub his nose at convention! What a disgrace" but inside (and it doesn't have to be that deep inside) it's "Atta boy Ross! Now you don't have to pay for it! Woof Woof Hoot Hoot!"

The response of men to Demelza is always amusing. I don't think it constitutes a spoiler to make a general reference to the books here, because the behavior of John Treneglos in episode 4 makes the dynamic pretty clear. It starts with some gentleman or even aristocrat saying something like, "I believe we'll be favored with the presence of Ross Poldark -- you know, the madman who married (smirk) his maid?!" Then, when he first sees Demelza, the reaction is, "Damn me!" And after his conversing with her, we hear this kind of thinking: "Lord So-and-So was beginning to understand why Ross Poldark had committed the gross impropriety of marrying his maid."

• Love 2

The response of men to Demelza is always amusing. I don't think it constitutes a spoiler to make a general reference to the books here, because the behavior of John Treneglos in episode 4 makes the dynamic pretty clear. It starts with some gentleman or even aristocrat saying something like, "I believe we'll be favored with the presence of Ross Poldark -- you know, the madman who married (smirk) his maid?!" Then, when he first sees Demelza, the reaction is, "Damn me!" And after his conversing with her, we hear this kind of thinking: "Lord So-and-So was beginning to understand why Ross Poldark had committed the gross impropriety of marrying his maid."

That was another axe Ruth had to grind with Demelza: John was attracted to Demelza. So not only did this hussy "steal" Ross from her, now she's making eyes at her husband!

• Love 1

I think much of Ruth Treneglos' comments arose from hurt pride: that Ross brushed off attempts at her mama's matchmaking and married Demelza instead.  If Ross ended up marrying, say, Ann Elliot from Austen's Persuasion  or Emma Woodhouse, I don't think she would have been as horrid because , as a baronet's daughter, Ann is socially higher and Emma would be a social peer. But the fact that Ross choose a miner's daughter over her is unforgivably, unforgivable!

I think that's absolutely true. Men can marry down, women can't. Jon Ronson's "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" eventually concludes that one reason men don't get shamed in a prostitute ring outing, for example is that... nobody cares.

Men can marry down, women can't.

I think episode 4 effectively illustrates the type of very limited upward mobility that could have been available to poor women in the Poldark era. No one was trying to present an actual kitchen maid for acceptance by polite society. Ross and Demelza were not crusaders for cultural diversity in drawing rooms. Demelza did not show up at Trenwith in her former maid's clothing, with her working class mores. Instead, she adopted the ways of the upper class. She wore their gowns, employed their manners, and learned their dances. In short, Demelza assimilated.

Moreover, Demelza was not attempting to become a landowner or a member of Parliament. She sought only acceptance as a landowner's wife. As with even the blueblooded wives, her role was largely ornamental. So in the case of a particularly beautiful ornament, who is also witty, lively, and sufficiently (if not perfectly) refined, the only objection left is that of low birth, pure and simple. While we would expect some sticklers for protocol to rely on that flimsy ground for rejection, I think most gentlemen probably would have acquiesced. They might not have dared to conduct an experiment with a miner's daughter on their own, but if another member of their class had pulled it off successfully, why continue to object beyond a bit of pro forma grumbling to oneself?

Also, there was probably a glimmer of understanding among the gentry that such social promotions, if kept rare, could be helpful to the upper class as well. The belief that bloodlines could become "tired" (e.g., that of the Chynoweths) was not uncommon, so importing a vital, attractive, and intelligent newcomer might have been seen as a reasonable remedy, if applied sparingly. After all, Ross and Demelza's children would be raised as gentry and therefore would become gentry themselves.

• Love 3
So we're halfway through the series on Poldark, and watching this last episode I finally managed to let go of the 1975 adaptation and love this version completely for its own sake.

Me too.  I also shocked myself by really warming to Tomlinson's portrayal of Demelza.  As much as I loved Angharad Rees I'm getting more of the Demelza of the books from Tomlinson.  

As others, I'm dismayed about the cuts PBS is making and it explains the occasional choppy feel so I think I'm going to have to go over to iTunes and get the real thing.  

• Love 2

I think episode 4 effectively illustrates the type of very limited upward mobility that could have been available to poor women in the Poldark era. No one was trying to present an actual kitchen maid for acceptance by polite society. Ross and Demelza were not crusaders for cultural diversity in drawing rooms. Demelza did not show up at Trenwith in her former maid's clothing, with her working class mores. Instead, she adopted the ways of the upper class. She wore their gowns, employed their manners, and learned their dances. In short, Demelza assimilated.

Moreover, Demelza was not attempting to become a landowner or a member of Parliament. She sought only acceptance as a landowner's wife. As with even the blueblooded wives, her role was largely ornamental. So in the case of a particularly beautiful ornament, who is also witty, lively, and sufficiently (if not perfectly) refined, the only objection left is that of low birth, pure and simple. While we would expect some sticklers for protocol to rely on that flimsy ground for rejection, I think most gentlemen probably would have acquiesced. They might not have dared to conduct an experiment with a miner's daughter on their own, but if another member of their class had pulled it off successfully, why continue to object beyond a bit of pro forma grumbling to oneself?

Also, there was probably a glimmer of understanding among the gentry that such social promotions, if kept rare, could be helpful to the upper class as well. The belief that bloodlines could become "tired" (e.g., that of the Chynoweths) was not uncommon, so importing a vital, attractive, and intelligent newcomer might have been seen as a reasonable remedy, if applied sparingly. After all, Ross and Demelza's children would be raised as gentry and therefore would become gentry themselves.

All of which is why it's long been true that men can marry down, that doesn't mean it's not expected that the wife will try to dress and act as befits her new status. None fo this contradicts anything.

I found this version on youtube.  It is a bit washed out, I'm guessing to avoid copyright.

Thanks so much! I watch PBS from southern Ontario, and you can't see most of the deleted scenes on YouTube or any that are on the PBS site from here. (Licensing fees, etc. It's a nightmare for Canadians. We can't see most of Netflix or any of Hulu, for that matter, but that's another story.)