Type keyword(s) to search

Deadpool (2016)

• Start Topic

I love Kyle Chandler, but I can't see him playing a comic-book villain. His eyes are just entirely too kind to ever pull that off.

Cable's not a villain. He's a hero but in a hardened, battle scarred soldier way, like older John Connor. Also he's a great foil for wisecracking motormouth Deadpool. I like Kyle Chandler("Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose") but I can't buy him as either.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Per imdb, it has "rumored" next to Kyle Chandler playing Cable.

That said, I love him, but he's so wrong, on so many levels, to play this character.

Finally saw this movie on HBO last night, and was left...unmoved. Except for the amazing 80's songs. Then again, Ryan Reynolds doesn't do a thing for me. Like some, I smiled in places, but ended up Googling to remind myself just who Ajax was, wondering if we'd get a Wolverine cameo (WHAT?), was there some discrepancy between when we last saw Wade in that horrid, horrid, Wolverine: Origins movie and this one.

So very underwhelmed.

It came across as Ferris Buellerish, with the way Deadpool kept talking to the audience.

Okay, I have something positive: I love the cartoony end credits.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2016 at 9:02 AM, Bruinsfan said:

It's a pity George Peppard is no longer with us; he'd be PERFECT casting for Cable.

Well Liam Neeson who reprises the A-Team Hannibal pretty much started the old man action genre, but I think he comes off as to thin. My choice would be Sergeant Reese/Corporal Hicks/Lieutenant Coffey, Michael Biehn

• Love 1

Recapturing the magic may be difficult, but it does sound as if Reynolds and the screenwriters were keeping that as the primary goal whereas Miller got stars in his eyes and wanted to make the next big budget Avengers movie (or more likely, the next nine figure Zack Snyder murder fest).  I just hope they can find a director who aligns well with that vision.

• Love 3

Bumping it up to announce that Deadpool got two Golden Globe nominations, for "Best Motion Picture (Comedy)" & Ryan Reynolds was nominated for "Best Motion Picture Actor (Comedy)." Let the campaigning/reign of terror begin!

They could have a lot of fun with the campaigning, couldn't they?

Absolutely! Since the Golden Globes is the awards ceremony that serves booze, I can imagine a drunken Deadpool in a tacky tuxedo having a field day-or, rather, night-especially at fellow nominee/Canadian Ryan Gosling's expense. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe Deadpool could be a presenter or make an appearance at the awards ceremony...

I can see it now: Hugh Jackman thinks that the Best Picture (Musical or Comedy) nominee he's announcing is La La Land, but it ends up being Deadpool, because a certain "merc with a mouth" messed with the TelePrompTer. 

• Love 5

I'm okay with the lack of Oscar nominations. It was a good movie. It was certainly better than DC's offerings and the other Marvel movie from Fox. Aside from the tech stuff, I didn't really think the movie should have been acknowledged. Deadpool more or less saved Ryan Reynolds' career. He's probably happy with that.

• Love 2

"Zazie Beetz"? That has to be made up, even for a non-American. Also: has anybody ever gotten excited about Domino? I know she debuted in New Mutants #98 with Deadpool and Gideon (who? Exactly), and she's starred in a lot of books, but does anybody have really fond memories of the character? The only one I can think of is the issue of A+X with her and Scarlet Witch, and that was because Adam Warren wrote and drew the story.

Domino has  been prominently linked to Cable, a character I can't stand, and had a mini where she spent the whole thing killing people and having sex with Wolverine, who I can't stand. So given she's nearly always been in books with one of those two, I haven't ever developed any interest in her.

But I liked Zazie Beetz a lot in Atlanta, and am actually very intrigued to see what she does with a character like Domino, who seems to be pretty crazy and violent. Just wish she could be in this movie without Cable.

It really depends on their relationship.  Disney and Fox seem to be on better terms right now with the co-production of the X-men tv series so maybe?

While I'm sad the role didn't go to Ron Perlman or Kiera Knightly, Josh Brolin seems like a pretty good fit  especially after seeing him in Hail, Ceaser!  I always forget he got his start in the Goonies.

My verdict: good choice. If there is a Cable/Thanos joke, I hope it's along the lines of Cable saying, "If you want something done right, do it yourself," which Thanos said in the Easter Egg at the end of Avengers: Age Of Ultron-or rather, Cable trying to say it more than once, but Wade keeps stopping him before he finishes because, you know, copyright infringement and all. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2
On 4/13/2017 at 2:56 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Huh, he's a little short but, i can work with it. I like Josh Brolin so it'll be interesting 

I always thought it was kind of a shame he didn't inherit his father's height. (James Brolin is still pretty damned attractive for a guy in the elderly set.)

Short Story: A bunch of anime fans have been abridging/spoofing Dragonball Z for years. In preparation for the big fight with the monstrous Cell, they held fights between him and anime/video games characters. I thought these mostly-weekly shorts were done with . . . and then this popped up today. Enjoy!

I just "discovered" this film about two weeks ago on cable, and I loved it. I'd put it up there with X-2, Spider-Man 2, The Dark Knight, and GotG as one of my absolute favorite superhero movies. I think it passed me by originally because there are so many of these films being pumped out lately that I'm developing fatigue, and I have no familiarity with Deadpool (the character) at all. I'm not a comics person, so I really just know basic characters like Batman, Superman, etc. But I thought it was hilarious and Ryan Reynolds was perfect. The soundtrack was put to good use with "Angel of the Morning" for that slow-mo opening, but Deadpool sitting on the railings and drawing/coloring in time to "Shoop" was the moment I knew I was in love with this.

I'm kind of glad I didn't first watch this until a year after the fact, because it means I'll have to wait less time for the sequel than if I'd seen it when it was first out.

• Love 2

It's so weird but, the white eye makeup is just messing up the look for me.  I hate to say it needs to be clown white but, it's not enough makeup around the eye.  I guess it's just too faint for me.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Is it supposed to be makeup or is it supposed to be her skin as part of her mutation? I'm not a Deadpool fan (other than enjoying the movie) and so I'm not familiar with Domino. 

I'm not a pro face painter, but I do a lot of work alongside pro face painters and watch their technique. The biggest thing I've learned is that single-shade makeup looks like crap always. As far as I can tell, there is a single shade of white making up the eye spot. When I Googled Domino to see her comic book look, some of the artists did a blob of black for her spot, but some of them did multi-shades. The multi-shades look way better. IMHO, that's what the makeup artist needs to do with the white spot. Do some shading, do some highlighting. Also, it needs to go all the way up the eye. I don't know why the heck they have a gap below her eye. I'm guessing it will look better in the actual movie.