Type keyword(s) to search

Deadpool (2016)

• Start Topic

Comics Deadpool is a mutate not a mutant. Movie Deadpool is iffy, Ajax tells him that the serum they use stimulates any dormant Mutant Genes in his DNA. If Wade didn't have the X Gene he wouldn't have manifested and eventually they would have killed him.

As such i don't really know if Movie Deadpool is a mutate (given mutant/mutated DNA) or a latent mutant.

Meh, the whole concept of latent 'mutant' genes just kind of screams lazy attempt to separate characters from one company from another more. Like the whole Inhuman backtrack on Disney/Marvel properties. Weapon X project really pulled from Wolverine and probably from the programs that created Captain America and others. Sooooooo, mutate.

Colossus was one of my favorite X-men growing up. I was a goody two shoes. I liked Cyclops and Colossus the best. This was a good representation of him. I could see him being one of Xavier's recruiters. Completely bought into the vision, big enough to handle himself, composed enough most situations (well except nip-slips). Though I would have liked seeing him in flesh form at the mansion and in the cab, but that may have been too much budget. It was a good sight gag to have him in steel form all the time.

I was sure Jackman was going to make a cameo somewhere along the way, since I figured he was legally obligated to appear in all "X Properties" by the Fox lawyers at this point. I was glad it was limited to the cut-out, which.... I guess Wade wore under the mask the whole final fight?

Nice little jaunt from Vancouver out to Westchester to visit the near empty mansion (at least it hadn't been blown up all that recently).

Minor detail I did like. When Vanessa pulls the sword out of the booth, she cuts her hands. The blood remains on the sword and her cuts remain on her hands.

• Love 1

Count me as a Cyclops fan he's always been my favorite Xmen.

Count me in as another Cyclops fan.  I always liked his character, from his original leadership days to his supplanting Xavier as leader of mutantkind.

I always liked Colossus too.  He's my brother's favorite character.

Edited by benteen

I like Scott, too. I like that he made mistakes (his personal life is a fucking mess) but he still believed in The Dream. Plus, I cannot stand Wolverine so the 'bad boy' foil to the 'boy scout' just annoyed the fuck out of me. Good guys are just as interesting as bad boys, people!!

• Love 3

Scott was never my favorite, but he was ok when he wasn't tied to Jean. Apart they were great. Together they bored me to tears.

Keeping on topic? Um, I loved reading that IKEA only insisted that the movie couldn't just make up a dresser name.

• Love 1

Scott was never my favorite, but he was ok when he wasn't tied to Jean. Apart they were great. Together they bored me to tears.

Keeping on topic? Um, I loved reading that IKEA only insisted that the movie couldn't just make up a dresser name.

Hah! I thought those were made up made up names. LOL
  • Love 1

Hee, I know! I thought that there was no way the models would be real. Now I am entertaining the thought of lookingfor it at IKEA. Just to see how it should look.

On Ant-Man, the director said they had to wait months for the company to ok the Thomas the Tank Engine cameo. Their absolutes? Thomas could not hurt, much less kill someone in his appearance. Which Marvel had no problems agreeing with.

Edited by stlbf
  • Love 1

Yep Ikea was cool with the whole dresser? breaking apart and the rant with ikea product names that you couldn't figure out how to properly spell based upon hearing the pronunciation. .You know the deadpool dvd/bluray is going to have more content including a lot of jokes or alternate takes of jokes that were in the movie.

Also yes that was a S.H.I.E.L.D helicarrier that was in the scrapyard. 

Bob who deadpool recognized is Hydra Bob who joined Hydra to get a steady paycheck but was disappointed to learn that Hydra didn't have full dental like A.I.M. does. 

I always liked Colossus too.  He's my brother's favorite character.

I found it funny how many times Deadpool touched Colossus's junk. 

Speaking of his junk, who else agrees that Angel Dust was a super bitch for hitting him there after she covered herself up when he told her about her wardrobe malfunction?

• Love 2
Speaking of his junk, who else agrees that Angel Dust was a super bitch for hitting him there after she covered herself up when he told her about her wardrobe malfunction?
I don't. I think he told her about her nip slip for his comfort rather than hers. I doubt Angel Dust really cared one way or the other about whether her breast was hanging out. I also think that in a fight to potential death, you don't worry about things like modesty or someone else's sense of honor. You fight whatever way is effective.
  • Love 1
Someone photoshopped Liam Neeson as Cable and I kind of love it.

Love it.  I can imagine Neeson as Cable. 

I am surprised that Cable will be in the next movie.  I had assumed that an X-Force movie would have been first.

• Love 1

I could have sworn that there was a Blade 2 reference, but RR was in Blade Trinity.

There was a comment made when Ajax and sidechick came into the bar looking for Wilson that they were dressed in all black, "Have fun at your midnight showing of Blade 2."

• Love 3

I'm completely unfamiliar with the comics, but I liked it and laughed a lot anyway. I was worried about how I'd do with the violence since I'm a softy, but it was so over the top that I generally didn't mind it. (I minded the other Gita suitor in the trunk the most actually since as far as we can tell, he was totally innocent of any wrongdoing. I thought it was odd that Deadpool was encouraging the taxi driver in creepy, stalker, criminal behavior given the beginning).

I think that being tortured 24/7 and made in to a "monster" between those two scenes probably pushed him over the edge from eccentric to crazy.

Deadpool is the sort of person that that makes judgements based entirely on how much he likes the person and doesn't apply critical thinking skills or deeper thought. Dopinder was nice to him and told a story that painted his cousin as a tool who stole the girl he liked, so DP was totally on board with him doing whatever it took to get rid of his romantic rival. If the cousin, or the girl, or anyone else had actually had a chance to explain to him why what the Cabbie was doing was wrong or creepy, he might well have changed his mind.

• Love 1

There was a comment made when Ajax and sidechick came into the bar looking for Wilson that they were dressed in all black, "Have fun at your midnight showing of Blade 2."

Love it.  I can't believe how much meta goodness is in this movie. I do wonder why the Blade 2 reference is used. I'm guessing that Blade: Trinity is really that bad.

Love it.  I can't believe how much meta goodness is in this movie. I do wonder why the Blade 2 reference is used. I'm guessing that Blade: Trinity is really that bad.

Maybe because people don't remember that Ryan Reynolds was in Blade Trinity. Plus it being a horrible movie. Wesley Snipes went bat shit on MJ during that movie   http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/11/21/patton-oswalt-gets-brutally-honest-about-the-failures-of-blade-trinity

• Love 1

My verdict: it was vile, offensive, insane in the membrane & had almost no redeeming social value whatsoever-and I loved it! Deadpool is what happens when you take a typical superhero movie, soak it in battery acid and blow it up in a meth lab. Ryan Reynolds, aka "God's Perfect Idiot," is the crazy glue that holds the whole gloriously hot mess together. As bad as Reynolds' Deadpool was in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, that's how great he is here. Like Wade Wilson, aka "Mr. Pool," Ryan Reynolds is a smart ass with a great ass. He's just a sexy mofo, whether he's in costume, in an ugly Christmas sweater (and nothing else) or looking like a human pork rind. Ryan Reynolds is so sexy that he even makes clogs look good. Clogs, people! Much of this film's greatness is because of "the real heroes of the movie," aka the writers, who filled the script with plenty of in-jokes, some of which were at Reynolds' expense-which, as almost anyone who's seen Green Lantern alone can attest, serves him right.

Then there's "The Hot Chick," aka Vanessa, Deadpool's girlfriend, well-played by Morena Baccarin, who seemed to be having more fun here than on Gotham. In fairness, Dr. Leslie Thompkins isn't a typical damsel in distress on that show, but she's not a part-time hooker/bartender/occasional ball-buster, either. As for Ajax, aka Francis, aka "the British Bad Guy," played by Ed Skrein, he was as snarky, mean, psycho and obnoxious as expected. Ditto his henchwoman Angel Dust, played by Gina Carano. The only weak link for me was T.J Miller as "The Comic Relief." He got a couple of good laughs, but the cab driver was funnier.

Naturally, superheroes sometimes need a good team, whether it's The Avengers, the X-Men, The Fantastic Four or the Justice League-sorry, wrong universe-and Deadpool's no exception, even if he got stuck with the JV X-Men Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead, who were more than capable backup, despite being "A CGI Character" and " A Moody Teenager,"  respectively. Let's not forget Leslie Uggams as Deadpool's old, blind, strapped and ex-cokehead roommate, who keeps Deadpool in clogs, Bactine and the occasional semi-automatic-illegal, of course. Even the movie's soundtrack was, in 90s speak, "dope."  Now that Deadpool has got his own franchise and he mentioned Cable in the post-end credits, my suggestions for who should play him are either Jon Hamm, Liam Neeson, Jeffrey Dean Morgan or Joe Mangianello.

The only disappointing thing about this movie was that Hugh Jackman didn't do a cameo, especially in the post-credits scene. I would have loved it if that scene had started with Jackman singing "Angel Of the Morning," "Careless Whisper" or "You're the Inspiration" in the shower, then, unbeknownst to him, Deadpool snuck in, stole his towel and his robe, stopped and said something like "Dayymm!! X-Men: First Ass indeed!", getting Jackman's attention, but just before he started chasing Deadpool, he stopped in the doorway-stark naked- said the "Go home" line and grabbed a hand towel, wrapped it around his waist and then went after him.

I had a very different response. This was the first time I've seen Miller in a role that didn't make me want to to soak him in gasoline and start flicking matches at him.

Such is the beauty of varying mileages.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5

The only weak link for me was T.J Miller as "The Comic Relief." He got a couple of good laughs, but the cab driver was funnier.

I had a very different response. This was the first time I've seen Miller in a role that didn't make me want to soak him in gasoline and start flicking matches at him.

• Love 1

In case you didn't catch the MTV Movie Awards . . . Deadpool won twice, for Best Comedic Performance and Best Fight. Before Ryan Reynolds could accept his award, we got dozens of dancing Deadpools and Salt-N-Pepa performing "Shoop."

• Love 3

It'll be the first DVD (although in this case Blu-ray) I've bought from Fox since X2.  Really looking forward to rewatching this.

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 1

Ryan Reynolds' comic timing was fantastic in this. I laughed long and hard at "CAPTAIN Deadpool....nah, just Deadpool."

So many great lines in this: the zamboni attack ("You're gonna die...IN FIVE MINUTES!"), Deadpool's explanation of whose balls he had to fondle ("It rhymes with Polverine"), Deadpool cursing ("Oh, Canada!"), etc. etc.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead was everything, but I loved Colossus' weary resignation at Deadpool's insults: "You know I can hear you."

• Love 9

Re: Cable

Ron Perlman? Sounds great. But I also heard someone online mention Dolph Lundgren. Who just screams perfect Cable to me.

As for Blade 3, I still don't think it is THAT terrible. RR was funny in it. I've seen MUCH WORSE. 

Lantern7, my blu-ray set also had a dvd and a digital copy. Paid $19.99 @ Target for it. Haven't opened it yet though.  Promised my BFF that I would wait to watch it. Hoping that this weekend will be the winner. Work and child free! Woo hoo!

Just saw it and I loved it from the opening credits. I'm going to have "Angel of the Morning" stuck in my head for a week.

Wade and Vanessa might be my favorite romance in a superhero movie ever. Also I love Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead, the cab driver and Leslie Uggams as the blind lady.

Favorite jokes were the "(Deadpool laughing) You're going to be killed by a zamboni!" and TJ Miller saying Wade looked like an "avocado had sex with an older  more disgusting avocado, Not gently. Like it was hate-fucking. There was something wrong with the relationship and that was the only catharsis that they could find without violence."

Also best Stan Lee cameo ever.

• Love 6

Just saw this on HBO.  I knew nothing about it, didn't know it derived from a comic book.  I watched it twice, thinking I was missing something and I should have enjoyed it--but I didn't.  It was just...weird and I didn't like it at all.  And no, the cursing didn't bother me at all because I have been known to curse like a sailor.   

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Just saw this on HBO.  I knew nothing about it, didn't know it derived from a comic book.  I watched it twice, thinking I was missing something and I should have enjoyed it--but I didn't.  It was just...weird and I didn't like it at all.  And no, the cursing didn't bother me at all because I have been known to curse like a sailor.   

I'm right there with you.  I decided to wait to watch it when it hit cable but I guess after all of the hype I expected way too much.  I consider myself a connoisseur of both sarcasm and comic book movies, but I didn't even laugh that much which surprised me after hearing my brother go on and on about how hilarious it was.  It definitely was a break from the typical comic book movie but I did have a "That's it???" moment after it was over.  Clearly I'm a minority but there it is.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 2

I didn't have high expectations either but I laughed. The opening credits, Deadpool's interactions with Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead, TJ Miller's character. I think because Ryan Reynolds is already known for being snarky which his quippiness wasn't a huge surprise now.  His Hannibal King stood out and was the only thing I liked from Blade Trinity in 2004. You didn't see that kind of irreverence in comic book movie back then. Now you have all the  Marvel movies especially Guardians of the Galaxy. The thing that surprised me most was how effecting the love story was. As I said it's the best romance I've seen in a superhero movie.

• Love 6

I love Kyle Chandler, but I can't see him playing a comic-book villain. His eyes are just entirely too kind to ever pull that off.

It's going to be interesting to see how this production goes. I'm sure Ryan and co. will be under enormous pressure to make it more family-friendly- there's going to way higher stakes for this now.