Type keyword(s) to search

Deadpool (2016)

• Start Topic

I saw it tonight.  Highly enjoyable.  Not a perfect film or anything, but it's impressive that a hard R-rated Deadpool movie even exists.

The relationship between Wade and Vanessa is actually kind of sweet, in the middle of any otherwise irreverent movie.

The CGI on Colossus isn't the best, but the movie's budget isn't limitless, so I'm not going to pick too hard on that.

• Love 2

Loved this movie, they gave me my Deadpool. I'm so glad RR and Tim Miller pushed to get this movie done right.

I loved Colossus in this, I know he was total CGI but i swear that was the best representation of Colossus that I've seen so far.

Ajax made for great villain, a damn sexy one as well.

BTW - This movie also had one of the best opening credits ever.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

Saw it today. Had to wade (pun intended) through 15-20 minutes of trailers. I thought it was good. A lot of the good stuff was revealed in the trailers and ads, but there's enough left over for a sustainable movie. It felt like a redemption story . . . not just for Wade, but for Ryan Reynolds as well. Colossus and Warhead felt a little tacked on, but there were lots of little moments that were funny . . . like the Adventure Time watch. And Stan Lee as a strip club DJ. And Wade channeling Ferris Buhller after the credits, promising Cable for the sequel. Bottom line: not the best, but better executed than Green Lantern.

Also, I think I missed the penis shot. Maybe my brain shut down for my sake.

ETA: For your amusement . .. mashups with Deadpool and movies.

• Love 1

I loved it! Yeah, the Colossus CGI wasn't the greatest, but he was as much of a goody two shoes as I always thought he was in the comics. True Deadpool fans should love it. I was seated next to a couple who had absolutely no clue as to why most of the theater was laughing at some of the little in jokes. The Wolverine/Hugh Jackman jokes I had to explain to them at the end of the movie.

Sure his comic origin story was different. But I will take that over the God Awfulness of the Origins: Wolverine shitfest any day of the week. I still can't even talk about that fucking abortion of a nightmare without getting furious.

Even though he was much more of an exaggerated version of his character, I enjoyed CGI Colossus and finally seeing a version of his character close to his comic counterpart.  Negasonic turned out to be a fun character too who I hope we see more of. 

$120 million for an R-rated film is really impressive.

• Love 1

Even though he was much more of an exaggerated version of his character, I enjoyed CGI Colossus and finally seeing a version of his character close to his comic counterpart.  Negasonic turned out to be a fun character too who I hope we see more of. 

$120 million for an R-rated film is really impressive.

It is he highest single opening day for a r-rated film. Last R-rated film that got the highest opening fri-sun weekend was Silence of the Lambs. R-rated films don't make a lot of money cost wise compared to pg-13 films. 

I loved this movie! Best opening credits ever!

It wasn't perfect but it was probably the most enjoyable comic book movie for me. All the meta, all the jokes. Starring "a hot chick", a British villain, a gratuitous cameo" "Stewart or McAvoy?" It seems like the studio couldn't afford to get the other X-Men. Do you think Ryan Reynolds can get by on his acting ability. 

Ryan Reynolds was born for this role. 

• Love 2

Loved the opening credits, loved the closing credits, loved the after-credits scene, loved the meta, loved the fourth wall.  Loved Colossus.  Loved Vanessa not being a pushover (though one of her scenes in the trailer didn't make it into the movie).  Loved that two of the superheroes were female.  Loved the cultural references.  Loved everything about it.

• Love 4

Loved the opening credits, loved the closing credits, loved the after-credits scene, loved the meta, loved the fourth wall.  Loved Colossus.  Loved Vanessa not being a pushover (though one of her scenes in the trailer didn't make it into the movie).  Loved that two of the superheroes were female.  Loved the cultural references.  Loved everything about it.

You're not talking about Gina Carano, are you? 'Cause she was a villain.

I didn't love it as much as Rick did, but that was a whole lotta fun and the after-credits scene had me leaving the theater with a big smile on my face.

So, thoughts for Cable? (Please, no Mel Gibson.)

• Love 1

I saw the movie today and it was fun.  The movie had a lot of great moments but I got to say that the opening credits just slammed me because it was so unexpected and hysterical.  There is also the scene with the crayon drawing..."have you seen this guy?"  Perfection.  Yep, the film deserves it's 'hard R' rating.  Ryan "motor mouth' Reynolds was born for this role and T.J. Miller is the ideal friend/sidekick.  Loved the taxi driver and OMG!  Leslie Uggams!!

• Love 4

I loved this movie! Best opening credits ever!

It wasn't perfect but it was probably the most enjoyable comic book movie for me. All the meta, all the jokes. Starring "a hot chick", a British villain, a gratuitous cameo" "Stewart or McAvoy?" It seems like the studio couldn't afford to get the other X-Men. Do you think Ryan Reynolds can get by on his acting ability.

Ryan Reynolds was born for this role.

The cameo was Stan Lee, I do believe. I almost fell out of my seat seeing the scene where they used him.

And yep, the studio was cheap in the non use of other X-Men. Which DP made quips about. That huge school/mansion with nary a sound or movement outside of 2 people? Whatever.

And yeah, Ryan Reynolds was totally born to play Deadpool.

The only thing I was kind of disappointed in was the lack of Golden Girls quips or props.

• Love 1

I absolutely lost my shit laughing during the opening credits! The extreme slow-mo shot of him tea-bagging that dude was beyond epic.

It was hilarious to see Colossus eating cereal and just generally doing pedestrian shit while in full metal form. The scene in the cab with the soda cracked me up. Negasonic had the best rendition of an X-Men uniform I've seen onscreen so far. 

You know, I was impressed with Morena Baccarin.  She held her own very well with Reynolds during her initial scenes.

I was, too. I think she's lousy in Gotham, but she didn't phone this one in.

You know, I was impressed with Morena Baccarin.  She held her own very well with Reynolds during her initial scenes.

I was, too. I think she's lousy in Gotham, but she didn't phone this one in.

Have you seen her in Homeland and other roles? She is appearing in a lot of stuff and her nude scenes haven't seem to hurt her career, 

The cameo was Stan Lee, I do believe. I almost fell out of my seat seeing the scene where they used him.

I think this is the first time Lee has cameo'd in a superhero movie where he isn't responsible for creating any of the characters used in it.

This movie had me  from the first strains of "Angel of the Morning" over the opening credits.  It was just such and interesting song choice.  I'm also lucky that I didn't miss the first few credits because unless there is talking and action during them, I tend to get distracted. When I heard the audience laugh, I read what was on the screen and thought "even better!".

I can't say much more about the movie than others have said.  I enjoyed all of the characters and I bought the chemistry and love story between Wade and Vanessa.  I even thought the love scene montage was kind of sweet.   And, I loved his friendship with his blind room mate.

On the last page I wondered if I'd regret buying a ticket for our 14 and1/2 year old, and I don't.  That doesn't mean that all R-rated movies are ok for her now, but this one wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting (the sex, anyway. In regards to the violence, I'd have been a bit worried if she had a violent temper or something like it, but so far, she won't hurt a fly and is generally a joyful kid, so I'm not going to be too worried.).  Now, the handful of preteens (and the one kid who looked to be about 7 years old)?  Yeah, I hope their parents aren't complaining because the information they needed was out there. 

Edited by Shannon L.

The audience clapped at the end of my showing, I was like "Okay, let's all calm down".

It was enjoyable, different but middling at the same time? Like you could tell the studio was taking a gamble on it so they didn't put TOO much money into it (I loved the joke about only showing two X-Men, that got the biggest laugh from me personally). It was nice to see Ryan Reynolds live up to his potential, because he has leading man good looks but he's just not suited for that type of role, he's perfect for this.

My favorite part was actually the romance, they had great chemistry and I liked the holiday sex bit. I was so afraid that they were going to fridge Vanessa, I'm glad that didn't happen.

I didn't like the look or voice of Colossus but the characterization was on point, he just looked and sounded so old.

All in all this was good but I actually think a sequel with a bit more confidence could be miles better.

BTW the MPAA is maddening because this movie was the most violent movie I've seen in years yet it got a pass, I'm sure it would have gotten rejected if the sex scenes were more graphic or not comedic.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 1

BTW the MPAA is maddening because this movie was the most violent movie I've seen in years yet it got a pass, I'm sure it would have gotten rejected if the sex scenes were more graphic or not comedic.

What do you mean by a pass? It's rated R.

What do you mean by a pass? It's rated R.

In the past just a nude scene could make a movie nc-17. Even if nothing was going around and the movie had tons of violence if you dare put bare skin it was nc-17. Unless you were a major league studio that is. Independent or small you were fubared if you tried that. There are tons of books/articles about how out of the touch the MPAA rating board is and what movie makers had to do to get a film approved. 

Like you could tell the studio was taking a gamble on it so they didn't put TOO much money into it

Any r-rated film is a gamble since most don't go past fifty mill during their theater time. They are lucky to make back their budget. Hence why most r-rated films are low budget often straight to video. At 47 mill Deadpool had one of the largest budgets for an r-rated movie. 

BEST OPENING CREDITS EVER!

This was the best Ryan Reynolds movie in a long time. He certainly made up for all the time he lost having mouth sewn shut in Wolverine. Would have like one other X-Men cameo, but obviously the studio couldn't afford.

I'm gonna miss the marketing campaign....so let's get a move on with that sequel!

• Love 2
Don't you wish Bea Arthur was around to give her thoughts on the movie?

The only thing I was kind of disappointed in was the lack of Golden Girls quips or props.

I love that Wade wore a Bea Arthur shirt.

I could have sworn that there was a Blade 2 reference, but RR was in Blade Trinity.

I love the metaness.  I expected NTW to be an angsty, insufferable teenager, but I really liked her.  Her XMen uniform was great. 

I didn't like the look or voice of Colossus but the characterization was on point, he just looked and sounded so old.

I agree.  Colossus was on point as the comic book characterization, but he did sound old.  You knew what was going to happen while he was monologuing. 

It was hilarious to see Colossus eating cereal and just generally doing pedestrian shit while in full metal form.

When Wizard magazine was still a thing, readers would ask such weird or random stuff.  It discussed how comic book characters lived daily:  Did everything about Colossus turn to metal?  Well, he is called Colossus. (heh) 

That moment on the bridge when Deadpool realized whose balls he was fondling made me think of that. 

Edited by spaulding

You know whos having a good day? Ryan Reynolds. That guy is having an awesome day.

I am also having a great day, because this movie was great. It was everything I wanted this movie to be, and more. It was a Deadpool movie, just the one it should have been. It was a ridiculous romp, but it also took its characters and main plot seriously. It was bloody and sexy, and meta, but also had a heart.  I thought the romance between Wade and Jessica was sweet, and I always like Morena Baccarin. Romance in a lot of action movies tends to often feel pretty tacked on, but I thought this worked. 

I too find the timelines of the X-Men movies to be confusing. I am right there with you Deadpool. 

Colossus has always been one of my favorite X-Men, so it was great seeing him here, all good intentions and nutrigrain bars. I had never heard of Negasonic Teenage Warhead (she is a pretty minor character in the books), but I hope we see more of her. She was a fun character, and her and Colossus were a good team, to contrast with the craziness of Deadpool. 

This was just what I wanted this movie to be, and I cannot WAIT for the next one!

• Love 2

(she is a pretty minor character in the books)

A dead minor character so the movie writers could change her looks and powers etc with no real complaints. The writers are already working on the sequel and Negasonic should be back and even more characters will appear. 

I think this is the first time Lee has cameo'd in a superhero movie where he isn't responsible for creating any of the characters used in it.

Stan also had a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy, which he didn't create.  I was actually surprised to see him pop up here but I shouldn't have been.

I saw at least two kids under 10 with their parents at Deadpool.  I'd like to say I was surprised but I wasn't.  I remember parents taking their kids who had to be under 7-8 to see the South Park movie in 1999.  I also remember a couple in front of me covering the eyes of their little daughter during the Watchmen sex scene.  I kept wondering if they actually bothered to do some research and see if this movie was appropriate for their kids or if they just didn't care.

• Love 2

I was sitting in front of girl who looked about 5.  It really affected my enjoyment of the movie because I kept wondering how she was handling it.  At least most of the dialog would have been over her head.  Some parents are unbelievable. 

Re the movie--it was really funny and I'm not much of a Marvel fan and know zilch about any of the X-Men.  Loved the Hugh Jackman jokes.  "Rhymes with Polverine."

• Love 5

I was sitting in front of girl who looked about 5. It really affected my enjoyment of the movie because I kept wondering how she was handling it. At least most of the dialog would have been over her head. Some parents are unbelievable.

Re the movie--it was really funny and I'm not much of a Marvel fan and know zilch about any of the X-Men. Loved the Hugh Jackman jokes. "Rhymes with Polverine."

I don't understand some parents. Honestly. Who thinks it is a good idea to take any young kid to see Deadpool? Pretty sure that the R rating stated adult language and sexual scenes. I wouldn't be comfortable taking an a younger teen either. But then again, I met a jackass father who thought it was perfectly fine for his brats to try to destroy a restaurant playground with him watching.

The poor couple next to me during the movie, the wife had no idea why most of the theater was laughing at the little stuff. She was like, there is a book this is all based on? Then she didn't feel so bad. The Hugh Jackman/Wolverine stuff was completely over her head. She specifically asked me about that.

Still loved Bob. Bob from something that is now definitely NOT HYDRA!

• Love 4

I'm lucky enough to have an Alamo Drafthouse  close to my neighborhood. They had all sorts of Deadpool-in-other-settings and Ryan Reynolds as comic book character clips ( and the Green Lantern trailer!) before the previews to get folks in the mood.

Then, after the Coming Attractions? "Angel of the Morning" started up over the usual Marvel open and then the deal was sealed with those effing delicious credits. *sigh* As my Valentine's treat, it was everything I hoped it would be! Sweet, sexy, and funny with a bit of violence, gore and (good heavens!) Leslie Uggams! My 6 year old TV-lovin' self was delighted at the last item.

I really enjoyed Nega and Colossus, as well as Ajax and "Angel".  Vanessa was cool and Weasel was as fun as I thought he'd be, but he also ended up with a bit more heart than I expected.

Was I the only one hoping that after all the 'go home!' that Jackson would stick his head out of the other door, maybe favor us with a "Wilson" drawl? ::shrugs:: 

My superhero movie year got started quite well. Here's hoping that sequel doesn't take another frelling decade!

PS: Betty White is fun! It had to be Wade's tee that tipped the Golden Girls from 3 to 4.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

I didn't mind how he sounded (I was just happy to finally hear a Russian accent), but he did look old in the face. I found it a little odd.

Was I the only one hoping that after all the 'go home!' that Jackson would stick his head out of the other door, maybe favor us with a "Wilson" drawl? ::shrugs:: 

I seriously thought Hugh Jackman would pop out of the door wearing a robe, implying that they had been showering together. Yeah, my mind went there.

• Love 3

I'm completely unfamiliar with the comics, but I liked it and laughed a lot anyway. I was worried about how I'd do with the violence since I'm a softy, but it was so over the top that I generally didn't mind it. (I minded the other Gita suitor in the trunk the most actually since as far as we can tell, he was totally innocent of any wrongdoing. I thought it was odd that Deadpool was encouraging the taxi driver in creepy, stalker, criminal behavior given the beginning). I wanted more Negasonic Teenage Warhead since she seemed interesting  to me but was mostly just sort of there, but I did love the reveal of her power when Deadpool was so dismissive of her ability to take on Angel Dust.

Since coming home, I read up on a bunch of the characters and I'm bummed that the movie opted to hide Vanessa's powers. I'm wondering if her brief time in the box is going to be enough to have triggered them for the next movie, especially since she and Deadpool presumably can't be having a happy ever after if there's a sequel. 

• Love 5

I'm completely unfamiliar with the comics, but I liked it and laughed a lot anyway. I was worried about how I'd do with the violence since I'm a softy, but it was so over the top that I generally didn't mind it. (I minded the other Gita suitor in the trunk the most actually since as far as we can tell, he was totally innocent of any wrongdoing. I thought it was odd that Deadpool was encouraging the taxi driver in creepy, stalker, criminal behavior given the beginning). I wanted more Negasonic Teenage Warhead since she seemed interesting to me but was mostly just sort of there, but I did love the reveal of her power when Deadpool was so dismissive of her ability to take on Angel Dust.

Since coming home, I read up on a bunch of the characters and I'm bummed that the movie opted to hide Vanessa's powers. I'm wondering if her brief time in the box is going to be enough to have triggered them for the next movie, especially since she and Deadpool presumably can't be having a happy ever after if there's a sequel.

Deadpool encouraging the cabbie to murder his girlfriend stealing cousin is totally DP. 'Pool is not a hero. He sometimes wants to be a hero, but it usually doesn't last too long. The man also has stalked Siryn/Banshee for years to watch over her.

I can buy depowering Vanessa. The film could barely afford showing the powers of 2 X-MEN and two powered baddies along with Wade's abilities. Hell of alot harder to have DP play hero to a powered person. Especially in a movie already on a budget.

One thing annoying me? Deadpool really shouldn't be called a mutant. His abilities came about via outside tampering. Captain America, Hulk, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom are all generally considered mutates.

• Love 1

Deadpool encouraging the cabbie to murder his girlfriend stealing cousin is totally DP. 'Pool is not a hero. He sometimes wants to be a hero, but it usually doesn't last too long. The man also has stalked Siryn/Banshee for years to watch over her.

I can buy depowering Vanessa. The film could barely afford showing the powers of 2 X-MEN and two powered baddies along with Wade's abilities. Hell of alot harder to have DP play hero to a powered person. Especially in a movie already on a budget.

One thing annoying me? Deadpool really shouldn't be called a mutant. His abilities came about via outside tampering. Captain America, Hulk, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom are all generally considered mutates.

They aren't mutants though since they don't have the mutant x-factor gene. 

Comics Deadpool is a mutate not a mutant. Movie Deadpool is iffy, Ajax tells him that the serum they use stimulates any dormant Mutant Genes in his DNA. If Wade didn't have the X Gene he wouldn't have manifested and eventually they would have killed him.

As such i don't really know if Movie Deadpool is a mutate (given mutant/mutated DNA) or a latent mutant.

To be honest, it doesn't matter much to me since they kept to the heart of his origin story. They made a few other changes (like Blind Al and the origin of "The Deadpool"). I don't think any change they made detracted from the overall heart/soul of Wade Wilson/Deadpool.

• Love 3