Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lantern7

RW: New Orleans (2000)

The Real World: New Orleans is the ninth season of MTV's reality television series The Real World, which focuses on a group of diverse strangers living together for several months in a different city each season, as cameras follow their lives and interpersonal relationships. It is the first season of The Real World to be filmed in West South Central States region of the United States, specifically in Louisiana.

What do you take away from the RW season that took place during the cusp of the Reality Revolution? For me, there's Julie and her Mormon ways (becoming the biggest ingenue since Julie in the original season); David, his massive ego, and "Come On Be My Baby Tonight"; Matt being really, really white; Danny, his sweaters, his sexiness, and his blur-faced boyfriend Paul; Melissa, perhaps the most intentionally funny cast member in the show's history; the Mardi Gras episode; and their cable access show. I reckon this season is a standout from start to finish.

• Like 2

This is actually my favorite season, and I think it marks the end of the "classic" era of the show.

I loved Melissa, especially her confessional the night everything in the house went crazy thanks to Mardi Gras, the time that bird shit on her head while on vacation and her describing her parents I still watch those moments and laugh till I can't breathe. I also loved when she flipped out on David during that meeting; I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to throw a chair and just scream "time the fuck out" Melissa style.

• Like 3

I loved Melissa, especially her confessional the night everything in the house went crazy thanks to Mardi Gras,

Oh my god, something about being in bed with a Mormon on one side of her and a naked gay man on the other and "What am I supposed to do with that?"

• Like 1

And after the commerical, BMP plays Destiny Child's "Say My Name," while David admits not knowing the name of his latest conquest. The look on his face: "My mother is going to KILL me for this."

Melissa still blogs every now and then . . . you can read it here.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2

That Onstar thing is the funniest thing I've ever seen. I love Melissa. She seems really happy in her life. From reading her blogs, she seems kind of snooty now which surprises me.

I'll never forget "you, me and David can get in a menagerie".

She was so funny.

Edited by Maharincess

Actually, Ryan Knight was not part of the 2000 season. He was on in 2010. I created this thread for any remembrances of Knight.

In other news . . . damn, it's going to be 15 years since the original NOLA season. I feel old thinking about it.

This was the last season I half-watched. I must have suddenly gotten old because everyone on the show looked and acted like kids to me.

The only thing I remember was alpha-male David being unable to change a flat tire and was going to have the vehicle towed (TOWED!) to a garage. If I remember right, some others in the house figured out how to raise the car a few inches and turn a few bolts to get the spare on, which made David screaming pissed. 

I don't remember that. Was that on the "never seen" DVD? I wound up tracking it down and saw it exactly once.

It's funny how David doesn't seem that bad compared to recent seasons, but he was so ridiculous, what with the ego trips, the singing/rapping/scatting, and the sexual conquests. Remember when he was producing the cable access show, and the girls (and Danny) were making fun of him in the car? Or the time Julie did an impressive impersonation of him, capping it off with "woo woo"? Good times.

• Like 1

I don't remember that. Was that on the "never seen" DVD? I wound up tracking it down and saw it exactly once.

My memory isn't great and the TWoP recaps are gone so I may be wrong. I remember my roommate laughing that David could just lift the car while they change the tire. 

This is actually my favorite season, and I think it marks the end of the "classic" era of the show.

Yeah, this was the last season I really liked watching. Definitely the end of an era, as a few seasons later the show really becomes a fist-fight and STD factory.

• Like 1

On June 20, 2014 at 0:19 AM, Bastet said:

Oh my god, something about being in bed with a Mormon on one side of her and a naked gay man on the other and "What am I supposed to do with that?"

What did I sign up for? The Belfort Brothel! 

I was reading something from last summer about a New Orleans City Council spokeswoman who was fired for using racial slurs, and one of the African-Americans quoted as being present and outraged when she did so was Elton, the gang's boss at NOA-TV.

I remember one of the cast members having a theory that he wasn't really the director of that station, and had just been paid to act the role (she said she wanted to tell him to "Go back to General Hospital"). I guess Google wasn't as sophisticated in 2000 as it is now, because it's easily verifiable that he has had a long career in New Orleans public television.   

However, I would believe that he took some production notes to be a hard-ass, after Calvin in Hawaii and the radio people in Seattle had been pretty easygoing in letting the casts slack off.