Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

Many of the full programs from the Winter Universiade 2019 are up on youtube.  What do people think of the camera work?  They were doing a lot with angles and swooping, but it did capture how fast the skaters move.  

13 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Is there a Worlds schedule out yet for when each event will be? I need to start planning my watching lol.

http://wfc2019.jp/eng/schedule.html

I'm sure videos will get posted by the time we get up on the east coast.

NBC is stupid for not showing dance it’s our strongest event and with the exception of 2008 at least one US dance team on the Worlds podium beginning in 2005. And winning a medal at the last 4 Olympics!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 3/13/2019 at 9:21 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Is there a Worlds schedule out yet for when each event will be? I need to start planning my watching lol.

I found this at SkateFans.  I think the last listing is for Ice Dance (it says singles which is weird):

Listings for the week of Sat.3/16/19 through Fri.3/22/19.
All times Eastern; please doublecheck your local listings.
These listings are from the TVGuide website. 
Asterisks indicate a new program (7 this week).
Note that some times (the ladies SP and the men's FS) are slightly different than originally announced by NBCSN.

****Wed  Mar 20  World FS Championships   NBCSN noon-2 p.m. EDT
                 [Saitima, JPN, 3/18-3/24/19][ladies SP]
****Thu  Mar 21  World FS Championships   NBCSN 1-3 p.m. EDT
                 [Saitima, JPN, 3/18-3/24/19][pairs FS]
****Thu  Mar 21  World FS Championships   NBCSN 3-5 p.m. EDT
                 [Saitima, JPN, 3/18-3/24/19][men's SP]
****Fri  Mar 22  World FS Championships   NBCSN 7-9 p.m. EDT
                 [Saitima, JPN, 3/18-3/24/19][RD]
****Fri  Mar 22  World FS Championships   NBCSN 9-11 p.m. EDT
                 [Saitima, JPN, 3/18-3/24/19][ladies FS]
****Sat  Mar 23  World FS Championships   NBCSN 1-3 p.m. EDT
                 [Saitima, JPN, 3/18-3/24/19][men's FS]
****Sat  Mar 23  World FS Championships   NBC 8-10 p.m. EDT
                 [Saitima, JPN, 3/18-3/24/19][singles FS]

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I found a schedule that I printed out last fall and it shows mens & ladies long programs on the 23rd so "singles" is correct...I think. Is it possible the Free Dance won't be televised by NBC? We have two teams that could very well medal. 

7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is it possible the Free Dance won't be televised by NBC? We have two teams that could very well medal. 

Yea, it doesn't seem like they're showing dance at all, which makes no sense.

Edited by peachmangosteen
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, it doesn't seem like they're showing dance at all, which makes no sense.

NBC generally doesn't show dance, which is particularly weird given that dance is the USA's best discipline.

6 minutes ago, SeanC said:

NBC generally doesn't show dance, which is particularly weird given that dance is the USA's best discipline.

It's following the same logic it did while hiring such stalwarts as Wagner/Lipinski/Weir.

• Love 2

I'm often reminded why I can only watch skating during an Olympic year, why skating viewing has declined so much and why I haven't  followed skating like I use to. ISU should  remarket themselves. NBC sucks. I'm sorry it does. Even broadcasting the Olympics they suck. I don't understand how they can get more fans which means money and views and they don't even show skating. I mean even gymnastics show gymnastics. Why not show skating? Even dance show dancing. 

Of course USA has a very deep ice dancing talent pool but hey let's not show that. Let's hear Tara, Ashley, and Johnny instead and their obsession with the Russians and Chen/Hanyu. No need to watch ice dancing folks. And yet again I can't even watch ice dancing and see wonderful ice dancers because there is no way to watch it. As soon as a video is up, the ISU takes it down. 

Back to Worlds, I hope everyone skates well. The results will be interesting for sure. Now, I'll have to depend on skating fans to keep me updated. 

The skating lesson interviewed a former judged. I haven't watched all of it but it sounds like an interesting interview. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, SeanC said:

NBCSN showed it during Four Continents, which makes it even harder to understand why they aren't showing it for Worlds.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6

Someone posted this at SkateFans:

Also, for everybody in Canada or those from abroad who have access (I ask not how) to the CBC website, CBC is live-streaming pretty much everything. Unfortunately that means that a fair bit of it is in the middle of the night for North Americans, but events like the pairs short, as indicated by Kathy's kind time-translation above, are at a reasonable evening hour even for east-coast viewers.

Links to live coverage generally appear in timely fashion at the top of this page:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/figureskating

Next-day CBC broadcast TV is also going pretty comprehensive, with both afternoon and evening shows on Wed., Thurs. & Fri., an afternoon show (men's free) on Saturday, and,  I think, the free dance on Sunday at 11 am Eastern.

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I just checked my guide and it says NBCSN is airing "Rhythm Dance" at 7 pm est on Friday.

That's not live. I think the RD is Wednesday night, North American time.

20 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't think any of the NBCSN coverage is live. But there's been talk that they're not showing any dance, but that's apparently not true.

Wish I could find out if NBC, et al, will air the FD. If they're going to pay millions of dollars to have broadcasting rights, you'd think they'd air the final competition featuring two USA teams that have the potential to win it all. The federation needs to rethink who's best at broadcasting these events. How are we supposed to attract new fans when our top teams are blacked out?

• Love 4

As long as people pay NBC to watch through their pass setup I don't think they care about those of us who watch their various channels through regular TV that they still get some money from what we pay to our cable, satellite and etc. providers.

Practices going on in Saitama now.

- Nathan has put the 4S back in his free skate.  Now going for five quads, with two 4T-3T combinations in the bonus area.

- Yuzuru keeping everybody guessing, as with the Olympics.

- Aurora Cotop is doing the 3T-3T in the short again, seems like her physio is going well.  The other Canadian ladies looked erratic.

- Tursynbaeva hammering away at the 4S, mostly unsuccessfully.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

featuring two USA teams that have the potential to win it all.

Uh, no offence, but I think what you mean is that they have the potential at a silver/bronze.  I'm pretty sure Pap/Ciz, with their overinflated scores, are going to to win, even if they spend the 4 minutes lying on the ice not moving.  And while I don't deny that the two US teams have a very decent shot at the podium, Hub/Don did get their butts handed to them at Four Continents and while I don't think Piper/Paul have a chance at the podium,  I do beleive Kaitlyn/Andrew do.  Not to mention at least one Russian team that the judges are chomping at the bit to get onto that podium.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Perkie said:

I'm pretty sure Pap/Ciz, with their overinflated scores, are going to to win, even if they spend the 4 minutes lying on the ice not moving

Their scores might be inflated, but there is no one else who should be winning if they all skate clean. And P/C WILL skate clean. They're not H/D.

Edited by displayname
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, displayname said:

Their scores might be inflated, but there is no one else who should be winning if they all skate clean. And P/C WILL skate clean. They're not H/D.

We all know they will win, and if they are clean they deserve to win.  I just still wish the commentators would make an effort to tell us how what they do is THAT much better than everyone else.

Of course, I guess most of us won’t get a chance to see it at all since NBC can’t be bothered to broadcast it on any of their channels.

As for the other disciplines, I hope Johnny and Tara can reign in their superlatives about Nathan.  I like Nathan and think he can win if Hanyu isn’t 100%, but T and J need to take it down a notch. We saw how the hype train derailed at the Olympics.

In the ladies, let’s see if they can commentate without a mention of Alysa Liu since, you know, she’s not at this competition.

With the pairs I mainly want to see my dear Sui and Han skate cleanly!

• Love 7

Libby96, I am going to follow your lead and put my wish list for Worlds out into the universe.

For men, I am rooting for Hanyu to take the title in front of the home crowd.  I can't decide who else I want on the podium with him, but it would be great if Boyang, Nathan, Shoma, and Kolyada were to round out the top 5.  

For ladies, I really hope that each of the ladies on Team Japan are able to put out two clean skates.  With her jump content and skating quality, Rika deserves the win if she nails her programs.  I hope all of the ladies of Team Russia do well and work together to maintain the three spots.  I am also rooting for Tursynbaeva to nail the quad in her long program, and for both Bradie and Mariah to make it in to the top 10.  

For pairs, my biggest wish is for Sui and Han to skate safely and protect their injuries as best they can.  Peng and Jin are there to help China get back its three spots, so hopefully they won't feel the need to push themselves if they are hurting.  I am also rooting for Cain and Leduc to make it in the top ten and get two spots for the US.  

For ice dance, all I want is fair judging.  That may be the biggest wish of all, but anything is possible.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, IdleBrook said:

For ice dance, all I want is fair judging. 

This.  As a Canadian, I want Weaver/Poje and Gilles/Poirier to get the marks they deserve and not to be leap frogged over by anyone, just because we haven't had a Russian team on the podium in a while.  

My predictions, based on what I expect, not what I want:

Men:  Hanyu, Chen, Uno

Ladies;  Kihira, Zagitova, Miyahara

Pairs: Tara/Moro, James/Cipres, Sui/Han (though I would prefer France to win it)

Dance: Pap/Ciz, Hub/Don, Russian  (though I would prefer my two Cdns to be 2n and 3rd!)

Keeping fingers crossed that Nam and all three of our girls manage to get to the final.  

• Love 3

Ok I'll just admit I want Rika to be first and don't care who's second or third. Rika won me over. I also love Kori . I hope Alina skates clean. USA can pray they keep two spots. 

Nathan has improved so much but he has zero artistry and I hate his costume. He looks like a penguin. I hope Hanyu is in top shape since his injury. I secretly hope Kolyada medals because I have a soft spot for him. Just like the USA ladies the Russian men are under pressure to hold down Russian men skating. The hate he got from Russia after Europeans is so sad. Give him a break. And for goodness sakes no more Carmen. The only Carmen I like is Katerina Witt's. 

I really like James/ Cipres. I don't really follow pairs as much but I really like them as a team. 

I think we know who will win in ice dance. Skating politics. Yet again. I hope Russia can be competitive in ice dance and pairs again but we do need to keep judging *fair*. I use fair loosely here because there is no such thing as fair in figure skating. 

Tara and Johnny need to shut up. Between Hanyu/Chen, the Russian ladies obsession,and calling Alyssa Liu the next Michelle Kwan and mentioning her when she can't even compete as senior yet or didn't go through puberty. Let's talk about the skating that's in front of you. Do your jobs. Explain and tell people what's happening at the competition. Heck, I wish I understood Russian and Japanese because maybe they can do commentary better. 

Also, I don't understand why they don't have the team event at worlds but the have it at the Olympics. 

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 6

I'm unhappy with the women's competition, because it's all about triple axels.  And I'd like to see more than that.  Not to take away from the prowess of the top women skaters, but I'm just...meh about all the hype.

Selfishly, I want Chock/Bates to win or get silver, and for the us pairs to do well enough to get the use two spots again.  

I'm hoping for dark horses to surprise us all, but I hope everyone skates well.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I'm unhappy with the women's competition, because it's all about triple axels. 

There’s only one woman in the event doing a triple Axel.

Obviously if she gets them (even 2/3 of them) she’ll win, but Rika’s a very well-rounded skater.

• Love 4

I want Rika to not give me a heart attack and have one of her "comebacks"

Land that triple axel in the short baby!!!!!!! And the long too obviously!

Is Bradie in the same warm up group as Alina and Zhenya?

I see someone blonde doing a lutz loop in the back ground of a very wobbly camera Alina practice video. Looks like Bradie.

These group practices are good! Hopefully Eteri won't/can't hassle Alina in front of everyone. Alina looks like she's in good shape!

Edited by Mellowyellow

Someone posted this info' at SkateFans re: repeats of Worlds on the Olympic Channel:

It's weird the FD won't be on this week. Especially when the US has a good chance to medal.

The schedule I pulled up on my tv shows repeats of all disciplines on the Olympic Channel next week. Starts at 5 pm PDT each night. Does that mean 8 pm EDT, etc? Check your local listing, as Kathy says.

Pairs SP & FS on 3/25

Ladies SP & FS on 3/26

Men SP & FS on 3/27

RD & FD on 3/28

And I forget which channel will show the FSs and FD after 3/28. Maybe Olympic Channel again?

• Love 1

Well looks like Rusfed knew what it was doing with it's shenanigans! Alina and Zhenya brought it today. 

Rika just kills me with that SP. Sadly I think Alina is beyond reach now. I wonder if her first senior worlds on home turf was just a bit too much to handle.

So happy Alina was clean though! She looked really relieved and Eteri didn't look like she wanted to eat her. Zhenya was cleanish (UR called that fans are arguing about) so things are not all bad!

• Love 1

There's a 1 PM and an 8 PM broadcast NBC show on Saturday - the 8 is men's and women's but the 1 PM is not tagged onscreen as any discipline, maybe that will be the free dance? 

16 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I'm unhappy with the women's competition, because it's all about triple axels.  And I'd like to see more than that.  Not to take away from the prowess of the top women skaters, but I'm just...meh about all the hype.

I'm unhappy with men'a roo because it's all about who can land the most quads.   Skating is a jumping contest now. Artistry is dead. Judges want to see jumps. There are very few ladies who can do a 3a. Right now in seniors it is Rika and Liza who has a 3a. Now ladies I mean kids with quads are a different story. 

So ladies were on 2am usa time and already videos are being taken down because the ISU live in the stone age and don't like fans watching skaters. Can anyone update me with ladies sp? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Darknight said:

I'm unhappy with men'a roo because it's all about who can land the most quads.   Skating is a jumping contest now. Artistry is dead. Judges want to see jumps. There are very few ladies who can do a 3a. Right now in seniors it is Rika and Liza who has a 3a. Now ladies I mean kids with quads are a different story. 

So ladies were on 2am usa time and already videos are being taken down because the ISU live in the stone age and don't like fans watching skaters. Can anyone update me with ladies sp? 

This channel has some of the ladies sp: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-dH1k1LqtA9aRzANvBZJA/videos

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Darknight said:

Can anyone update me with ladies sp? 

Zagitova skated clean, and is in first. She might have deserved a call on her +3Lo, and deserves lower PCS, but I'd still have her second anyway.

Sakamoto was lovely, and is currently in second (would have her first).

Tursynbayeva got a huge boost for some uninspired skating and is in third.

Kihira popped her axel and is in 7th. Medvedeva, Lim, and Samodurova round out the top 6.

On a different note, Bell is being accused of racist harassment towards Lim and of intentionally injuring Lim during practice. Lim has filed a complaint.

Edited by displayname
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think specifically Lim's management company requested that KSA file a complaint against USFS/Mariah for the incident. They allege that there has been bullying going on behind the scenes at their rink that's lead to separate practice sessions, etc.  Hopefully Raf weighs in. Honestly have a really hard time believing someone would injure another athlete intentionally (save the Tonya situation), but I have no trouble believing that there could be some tension behind the scenes that has escalated, etc. It's pretty normal to see collisions on the ice but the background could have lead to some misinterpretations. Honestly, Mariah always struck me as the type who is not aggressive ENOUGH so this whole storyline is interesting. Not sure that Adam needed to weigh in with his 500k Twitter followers...

The SP was weird.  Sofia got no PCS boost despite going clean and being European champion (granted she is tacky), Mariah's toe under in the combo was completely ignored, Elizabet's PCs came out of nowhere, and Satoko got burned on PCS IMO.  Rika's SP did not surprise me, it's so tough to put a triple axel in the SP, honestly her score was pretty generous considering the issues.

Edited by BelleBrit
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/19/2019 at 8:26 AM, Perkie said:

Uh, no offence, but I think what you mean is that they have the potential at a silver/bronze.  I'm pretty sure Pap/Ciz, with their overinflated scores, are going to to win, even if they spend the 4 minutes lying on the ice not moving.  And while I don't deny that the two US teams have a very decent shot at the podium, Hub/Don did get their butts handed to them at Four Continents and while I don't think Piper/Paul have a chance at the podium,  I do beleive Kaitlyn/Andrew do.  Not to mention at least one Russian team that the judges are chomping at the bit to get onto that podium.  

If the U.S. lands just one dance pair on the podium, PLEASE let it be Chock and Bates!! The bitch faces on Hubbell and Donahue would be EPIC BEYOND WORDS. We got shocked faces at 4CC, but not medalling at World's would be all out pissy bitch faces!! I'm so excited at the possibility! 

Also, hoping that Cain and LeDuc get a second U.S. spot for next year. Looks like they're in 9th after the short.  UGH. James and Cipres! What happened? 

Pairs Short Results

Ladies Short Results 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

James and Cipres! What happened?

They collided with Della Monica and Guarise during the warmup, which clearly rattled both teams.

@ChicksDigScars:  Thanks for the update on pairs and ladies.  At least Cain & Leduc are in the Top Ten (whew).  And Mariah is in 6th place?  Be still my heart.  Her beautiful skating reminds me of the good ol' days with Kristi Yamaguchi and Michelle Kwan.  But the LP for Mariah is going to be the nailbiter.  Yes, indeed, Chock and Bates on the podium would make my day--heck, my year!  Love their free dance (no OTT mushiness and/or angst--yay).  And to think I was never a fan of theirs before this season.  Someone at Gadbois made some subtle changes in their skating or presentation (I no longer see him bending forward; really upbeat & creative FD) so it was worth it for them to go there. It may not be humanly possible for them to surpass the French but I'm still going to root for them to be on top of the podium😉

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

@ChicksDigScars:  Thanks for the update on pairs and ladies.  At least Cain & Leduc are in the Top Ten (whew).  And Mariah is in 6th place?  Be still my heart.  Her beautiful skating reminds me of the good ol' days with Kristi Yamaguchi and Michelle Kwan.  But the LP for Mariah is going to be the nailbiter.  Yes, indeed, Chock and Bates on the podium would make my day--heck, my year!  Love their free dance (no OTT mushiness and/or angst--yay).  And to think I was never a fan of theirs before this season.  Someone at Gadbois made some subtle changes in their skating or presentation (I no longer see him bending forward; really upbeat & creative FD) so it was worth it for them to go there. It may not be humanly possible for them to surpass the French but I'm still going to root for them to be on top of the podium😉

Yup. I also never really cheered that madly for C/B until this year.  I also think that the days of Madison Chock making their costumes, is done. Love their look this year.

And I know I have a dislike bias for H/D, but the spoken word at the beginning of the Romeo and Juliet number really irritates the beejesus out of me. The middle section that slows down, is quite flowy and pretty. But, I don't need the spoken word in the first 20 seconds to tell me that a Romeo and Juliet routine is going to be filled with faux angst and face grabbing dramacakes. "In Verona...." REALLY? NO SHIT!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, displayname said:

Zagitova skated clean, and is in first. She might have deserved a call on her +3Lo, and deserves lower PCS, but I'd still have her second anyway.

Sakamoto was lovely, and is currently in second (would have her first).

Tursynbayeva got a huge boost for some uninspired skating and is in third.

Kihira popped her axel and is in 7th. Medvedeva, Lim, and Samodurova round out the top 6.

On a different note, Bell is being accused of racist harassment towards Lim and of intentionally injuring Lim during practice. Lim has filed a complaint.

Omg what? That's terrible. I never ever would ever expect Mariah to do this. This is terrible. 

Poor Rika. It also must be hard being at worlds, being a first year senior, and being at home. So much pressure. I think it's mental for her. 

Elizabet came out of nowhere. I guess they're hoping she lands her quad. 

Thank you for the update 

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 2

Also, I'm just going to say it and I'm not being mean, Eteri's face look like she had botox or work done. She looks so different with Yulia than with Alina. 

Also now Liza has skating drama with Anna. Apparently AnnaPogorilaya  she's a Russian skater criticized Liza's gala program and said Evgenia deserved to attend Worlds over Liza

Drama at US nationals and Worlds plus the drama in the season this year. Too much skating drama. 

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, specialj67 said:

If the judges are going to unnecessarily elevate someone, I wish they’d stick with Samoduorva over Tursynbaeva. Sofia is tacky, but fun—like her compatriot Tuktamysheva. 

But Elizabet has a quad. Judges want quads. Why go with Samoduorva when Tursynbaeva might land a quad? And she is with Eteri. I honestly thought she was 16 or 17 she just turned 19. She's so tiny. Eteri's style fits her I guess. The judging is all over the place. 

Edited by Darknight
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Yup. I also never really cheered that madly for C/B until this year.  I also think that the days of Madison Chock making their costumes, is done. Love their look this year.

And I know I have a dislike bias for H/D, but the spoken word at the beginning of the Romeo and Juliet number really irritates the beejesus out of me. The middle section that slows down, is quite flowy and pretty. But, I don't need the spoken word in the first 20 seconds to tell me that a Romeo and Juliet routine is going to be filled with faux angst and face grabbing dramacakes. "In Verona...." REALLY? NO SHIT!!!

Heh heh. OK, Chicksdigscars...steady on, as they used to say. You need to prepare yourself in case the worst (in our opinion, of course) happens. Since we can't watch the FD live & we'll only find out what happened from the forums online, prepare yourself. Do like Sally Fields in "Soap" and have a b.i.g. bottle of wine w/ a straw sticking out of it ☺ I'll join ya!

• LOL 3

I'm not a huge fan of pairs but I love Sui/Han. Beautiful SP. I wish I can understand Russia so I can understand Tatiana's commentary. Their SP was just amazing. Too bad I can't rewatch it because I'm sure when I wake up it will be gone. 

And Satoko's along with others PCS scores are a joke. Really?