Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OriginalCyn

Figure Skating

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

LIBBY96: Loved your msg for Tara! I believe you've helped me figure out what drove me up the wall re: Tara's skating during her competitive years. She skated like a roller skater (which she was for many years). Her knees were always bent & when she'd land her jumps, her ice skates would ka-lunk back onto the ice as if they were heavy roller skates. A Lady Grace she was not. So, her remarks re: other skaters' style (or lack of it) annoy me.

THANK YOU. And the fact that this Roller Skating technique cost Michelle Kwan her gold medal, STILL pisses me off to this day.

As far as Johnny's pissyness this weekend. I chalk it up to a lack of Russians at 4CC. He couldn't dazzle us with his overly-correct pronunciation of every Russian skater and coach in the building. Oh, but he TRIED to work some in at 4CC!  He brought up comparisons to Russian skaters, and made sure to name names, and even told us the name of a skater's Russian assistant coach in the Kiss and Cry. Didn't mention the HEAD coach, but he told us who the Russian assistant was! 😆

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

I thought Charlie and Tanith doing the commentary on ice dance was really sweet, and I also thought they did a very nice job. They didn't talk much over performances. Charlie did point out two mistakes by Madison Hubbell that were unrelated to the botched lift. Reading between the lines, I think both Whites prefer Madi C and Evan's cheerful but well constructed free dance to Hubbell and Donahue's over the top drama. 

Quote

I also think that C/B have improved a great deal over the course of a year. The Olympic Channel was airing highlights from the ice dance competition from PyongChang tonight, and I watched C/B's FD. Their routine this year was considerably more complex, and I think their skating skills are much stronger now than they were in 2018.

What's truly amazing is that they've only competed three times this season due to Madi's recovery from surgery, so they haven't even had the benefit of the full year to train and improve. I think this might have been a case of a coaching change really coming at the right time for a team. They needed a bit of a reset and, I think, a new style and choreography. The added reputation of now training in Montreal also seems to have helped. Last year they seemed to have fallen out of favor, but with the coaching change they're right back in it this year.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

I thought Charlie and Tanith doing the commentary on ice dance was really sweet, and I also thought they did a very nice job. They didn't talk much over performances. Charlie did point out two mistakes by Madison Hubbell that were unrelated to the botched lift. Reading between the lines, I think both Whites prefer Madi C and Evan's cheerful but well constructed free dance to Hubbell and Donahue's over the top drama. 

Didn't D/W and C/B train together before the Zoueva and Shpilband split?  After the split, Davis and White stayed with Zoueva and Chock and Bates went with Shpilband?  Chock and Bates seem like very friendly people and not caught up in politics, back stabbing or unkind remarks...unlike, say....oh, I don't know....Hubbell and Donahue? 

In my spiteful thoughts, I am attributing H/D's fall from grace at 4CC's due to the fact that the Shib's showed up at the event to watch. Heh. JINX!!!

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Darknight said:

Look, I know I might get bash for this but I don't care. I hate the judging system. The whole judging system is messed up which is why skating has lost viewers and fans. 4CC was a hot mess. I'm tired of the favoritism and politics involved in skating. I don't care about reputation or what someone's country is.  If a skater doesn't land a jump, has crappy choreography, has zero artistry, the music cuts are terrible, and has tech issues they need to be called out. I don't care if that skater is famous or someone like Haynu or Alina. If they mess up they should not be rewarded. If their programs are crappy they need to be called out.  Especially if other skaters work hard or just as hard if not harder to skate and put out good programs. This damn judging system should be the biggest change in figure skating.

I agree in part, but it's a judged sport. I think having the judging scores available for review by the general public (if you can find them!) makes it more transparent.

Speaking as a fan but non-expert: during the skate I enjoy seeing the technical scores for each element, but I do wish the commentators would spend more time explaining the levels for things like spins and footwork sequences, and also the component score. Also they could do a better job explaining why one jump would get a high grade of execution (I don't have a problem with the low ones which are pretty obvious!).

Bottom line: I like the current scoring system much better than the old 6.0 system, and I like the tweaks they gave it for this season.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

THANK YOU. And the fact that this Roller Skating technique cost Michelle Kwan her gold medal, STILL pisses me off to this day.

As far as Johnny's pissyness this weekend. I chalk it up to a lack of Russians at 4CC. He couldn't dazzle us with his overly-correct pronunciation of every Russian skater and coach in the building. Oh, but he TRIED to work some in at 4CC!  He brought up comparisons to Russian skaters, and made sure to name names, and even told us the name of a skater's Russian assistant coach in the Kiss and Cry. Didn't mention the HEAD coach, but he told us who the Russian assistant was! 😆

Johnny, Tara, and US federation have an obsession with the Russians. I'm tired of hearing about the Russians at nationals and every competition. Stop comparing us to the Russians. If Johnny loves the Russians so much then maybe he can do commentary for them and tell them how amazing they are. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I agree in part, but it's a judged sport. I think having the judging scores available for review by the general public (if you can find them!) makes it more transparent.

Speaking as a fan but non-expert: during the skate I enjoy seeing the technical scores for each element, but I do wish the commentators would spend more time explaining the levels for things like spins and footwork sequences, and also the component score. Also they could do a better job explaining why one jump would get a high grade of execution (I don't have a problem with the low ones which are pretty obvious!).

Bottom line: I like the current scoring system much better than the old 6.0 system, and I like the tweaks they gave it for this season.

I agree. I also like the current judging system better than the old one but the judging still has flaws. They need to explain more to viewers. Why is that worth more than that? We need detailed commentary. PCS scores also need to be explained. I think there should be separate judges for PCS scores. I like how we know the judges name, their country and what score they gave the skater. 

I'm just tired of all of the politics even under the 6.0 system. It's frustrating to watch judges and tech ignore certain skaters but call out others. It should be fair. Then if a skater protests or says anything they're marked as a brat and it hurts them. So skaters know they can't do anything but keep their mouth shut. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Words fail me, after reading this.

They have surpassed Scott Moir levels of douchetasticness.  Scott was one guy. His dance partner off set his occasional outbursts of bad attitude, by being one of the most likable people on earth. Unfortunately, Hubbell is as bad as Donahue. They open their mouths and it's double the assholery. 

OPENLY rooting for Chock and Bates, Hawayak and Baker, and Carriera and Ponomarenko, now. Does the crew at Gadbois even KNOW that H/D come off like such unlikable, smug, entitled brats? Was this the judges sending them a message (which pretty much went SAILING over their heads).

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

They have surpassed Scott Moir levels of douchetasticness.  Scott was one guy. His dance partner off set his occasional outbursts of bad attitude, by being one of the most likable people on earth. Unfortunately, Hubbell is as bad as Donahue. They open their mouths and it's double the assholery. 

OPENLY rooting for Chock and Bates, Hawayak and Baker, and Carriera and Ponomarenko, now. Does the crew at Gadbois even KNOW that H/D come off like such unlikable, smug, entitled brats? Was this the judges sending them a message (which pretty much went SAILING over their heads).

Did no one tell H/D that they were moving from one letter under the ice to another a couple feet away in that so called "stationary" lift? Didn't they watch the tape of that lift taken from an overhead camera (unfortunately for them)? They obviously live in a different world, up there in their own stratosphere of winners. Re: the judges sending them a msg about their attitude?  Doubt it (unless the msg was: even though you won GP Final & US Nationals, that doesn't mean we're going to overlook a major error + some other minor errors).

I can't get over how impressed I was with Chock & Bates at Nationals. For one thing, he wasn't bent at the waist (which always drove me crazy).  Somebody in Canada made some subtle changes and who knows, maybe that gave them a boost in confidence.  I didn't see a difference in H/B, though. Maybe next season I will.  Did anyone else see a change in H/B?  I'm no expert so I may have missed it (but hey, that never stopped me from critique-ing🙂

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I found the ice dance competition hard to watch.  I don’t know if it was because the majority of competitors were from Gadbois, but all of the angsty routines kind of blurred together.  Chock and Bates were really able to stand out by bringing a level of fun that was missing.  However, I thought that Sui and Han executed the best dance choreography of the competition and they are in a completely different discipline.  I am not sure what that says about the state of ice dance at the moment.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, IdleBrook said:

However, I thought that Sui and Han executed the best dance choreography of the competition and they are in a completely different discipline.  I am not sure what that says about the state of ice dance at the moment.

💯

S/H are the saving grace of FS currently.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Did no one tell H/D that they were moving from one letter under the ice to another a couple feet away in that so called "stationary" lift?

Madison's statement that the judges had seen them doing the lift all week in practice made me side eye also. Did she expect the international judging panel to pull her aside and tell her the lift wasn't stationary? Because I'm pretty sure that's her coach's job, not the judges. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jillibean said:

Madison's statement that the judges had seen them doing the lift all week in practice made me side eye also. Did she expect the international judging panel to pull her aside and tell her the lift wasn't stationary? Because I'm pretty sure that's her coach's job, not the judges.  

👏There we are!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Jillibean said:

Madison's statement that the judges had seen them doing the lift all week in practice made me side eye also. Did she expect the international judging panel to pull her aside and tell her the lift wasn't stationary? Because I'm pretty sure that's her coach's job, not the judges. 

It is common for judges/technical officials to give feedback in practice sessions, etc.

However, their stationary lift doesn’t normally travel like that, so probably that was an unfortunate fluke.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

However, their stationary lift doesn’t normally travel like that, so probably that was an unfortunate fluke.

Since it directly contributed to their fourth-place finish and missing the podium altogether, I'd call it a fortunate fluke.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, IdleBrook said:

I found the ice dance competition hard to watch.  I don’t know if it was because the majority of competitors were from Gadbois, but all of the angsty routines kind of blurred together.  Chock and Bates were really able to stand out by bringing a level of fun that was missing.  However, I thought that Sui and Han executed the best dance choreography of the competition and they are in a completely different discipline.  I am not sure what that says about the state of ice dance at the moment.

Yup, yup and yup. All this face clutching, bodice ripping, faux romance on ice is one reason that I groaned when I learned so many promising dance pairs were migrating to Montreal. And it REALLY makes me miss the Shibs. They simply CAN'T do this style, and were more of a breath of fresh air. Their strong suit was precision. Maybe that's why they left after getting their two Oly bronze's. They could see the writing on the wall, and that the angsty crap was being rewarded. They couldn't hang with that. Cappallini and Lanotte were another pair that I liked, because they were just fresh air, not "I want to screw your brains out at center ice." 

I just hope that whoever tinkered with Chock and Bates, keeps them on the trajectory that they're on, now. No Romeo and Juliet, sex sneer bullshit next year, please.  

Another nice thing about the two Canadian teams on the 4CC podium, was that neither came from Gadbois. Neither pair skated like they were in heat. 

Meryl and Charlie ALWAYS brought the drama, but they never brought the "are they a couple" questions, because they didn't need to look like they were screwing off ice to convey emotion. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 12
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Yup, yup and yup. All this face clutching, bodice ripping, faux romance on ice is one reason that I groaned when I learned so many promising dance pairs were migrating to Montreal. And it REALLY makes me miss the Shibs. They simply CAN'T do this style, and were more of a breath of fresh air. Their strong suit was precision. Maybe that's why they left after getting their two Oly bronze's. They could see the writing on the wall, and that the angsty crap was being rewarded. They couldn't hang with that. Cappallini and Lanotte were another pair that I liked, because they were just fresh air, not "I want to screw your brains out at center ice." 

I just hope that whoever tinkered with Chock and Bates, keeps them on the trajectory that they're on, now. No Romeo and Juliet, sex sneer bullshit next year, please.  

Another nice thing about the two Canadian teams on the 4CC podium, was that neither came from Gadbois. Neither pair skated like they were in heat. 

Meryl and Charlie ALWAYS brought the drama, but they never brought the "are they a couple" questions, because they didn't need to look like they were screwing off ice to convey emotion. 

US Nationals this year - the Reynolds, the Parsons, and Manta/Johnson and I was really enjoying dance - very interesting takes. Then the last group came out and all the tedious "love" programs with the floaty skirts and the emoting. I really dislike H/D's Romeo & Juliet program, and even though I like Chock/Bates, "Fever" belongs on the warhorse list.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Yup, yup and yup. All this face clutching, bodice ripping, faux romance on ice is one reason that I groaned when I learned so many promising dance pairs were migrating to Montreal. 

Fully co-sign. It's one reason I can't get into ice dancing. I haaaaaate the manufactured drama. I never liked V&M for that reason. I don't care about your angst. I love a good performance but the "face clutching," as you say, is just obnoxious. I want athleticism, precision, difficulty, choreography.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

YouTube randomly recommended the live streaming of the Spring Cup team skating event and I got sucked into watching.  

what do you guys think of team skating in general?  I never liked it before, but as I become increasing aware of the horrible injuries and eating disorders of the singles and pairs events, it's a good break!  I like to see people just enjoying skating.

Share this post


Link to post

Synchronized skating is, at its best, a real treat to watch. Twizzles times 15? Yes, please! 

ISU had been pushing for its inclusion in the Olympics for a while, but I believe the issue IOC has is with housing and accommodating so many athletes. ISU holds a world synchro championship every year - this year, it will be in Helsinki in April. Finland is dominant in this discipline - in fact, its top team did an exhibition at last year’s GP in Helsinki.

Share this post


Link to post

The first time I ever saw synchronized skating was at the start of Nancy Kerrigan's first Halloween special.  The show started, we heard music and all of a sudden all these ghoulish looking characters skated out onto the ice, identical costumes, and were skating in unison so fast.  It was such an amazing sight that I've never forgotten it. Had no idea who/what they were until I saw a post about it the next day.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching skating right now on NBC and I wish Tara will. just. shut. up. 

They can keep Johnny and ditch Tara. It's like she can't help but fill any silent and not so silent moments. It's worse because she doesn't have one of those voices you can listen to for long.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was watching Jason Brown skate in the US Championship Skating Spectacular and I realized I had a big stupid grin on my face. He has so much fun out there he is fun to watch.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/16/2019 at 4:50 PM, stet said:

Synchronized skating is, at its best, a real treat to watch. Twizzles times 15? Yes, please! 

I really enjoyed the Japanese team in this!  It must be hard to choreograph so many people.  The Canadian team did a creepy Handmaid's Tale Program.

Edited by Ruby Gillis

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/16/2019 at 6:13 PM, MaryMitch said:

I was watching Jason Brown skate in the US Championship Skating Spectacular and I realized I had a big stupid grin on my face. He has so much fun out there he is fun to watch.

I LOVED Jason's exhibition routine this year, but pretty much every year too. He has such an infectious enthusiasm and energy. It's always great to see someone who truly enjoys skating and entertaining an audience. And that cartwheel!

Now if he'd JUST get that quad!

I'm still working my way through the recording of the gala but a few takeaways so far....Vincent isn't a skater who can cut loose, is he? The Austin Powers routine was awesome. And Alysa Liu's interview....yup, she's really 13! Super cute though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/15/2019 at 11:21 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

All this face clutching, bodice ripping, faux romance on ice is one reason that I groaned when I learned so many promising dance pairs were migrating to Montreal.

Speaking of face clutching, On Ice Perspectives just posted a video of Virtue and Moir's Moulin Rouge from the Thank You Canada tour.  It's pretty cool, although it did make me dizzier than his videos usually do.  It seems to be higher resolution?  It gives an especially interesting angle on the crotch-face lift at 1:55.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I taped Today, sped through it and didn't see this - did anyone?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Gotta say that that camera angle on that V/M video, paired with the dark back ground and Moir's black skating costume, does him no favors.  He just disappears and you watch Tessa.  It seems to be a camera following them while they skate, with no audience. 

Also, does anyone besides me not like how BACKLESS her dress is? And it seems common since she went to Montreal. Backless is fine, but this is backless on steroids. They dressed her like that a LOT once she went to Gadbois. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

What's going on with MF and P?  Were they like this when they were competing? I sure don't remember OTT sexy attire & all that OTT steaminess in their programs.  Sure, they did a lot of romance-themed programs but nothing like what we're seeing from H/D (and the intense face to face angst from the French).   How does one pronounce Gadbois?

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I loved the Spectacular and it looked like they were all having fun. 

I was really happy to see Jason and Mariah, and Manta/Johnson. But Hallelujah needs to be on the warhorse list...

I enjoyed Hawayek and Baker's Austin Powers but it will never top Laurent Tobel's, which was so amazingly gonzo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/20/2019 at 5:13 PM, ML89 said:

I taped Today, sped through it and didn't see this - did anyone?

I just saw a promo that Gracie will be on the Today show tomorrow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What's going on with MF and P?  Were they like this when they were competing? I sure don't remember OTT sexy attire & all that OTT steaminess in their programs.  Sure, they did a lot of romance-themed programs but nothing like what we're seeing from H/D (and the intense face to face angst from the French).   

Dubreuil and Lauzon's own programs weren't much in this style, but there's nothing strange about that -- coaches and their students design programs for the students' strengths, not based on whatever the coaches themselves may have done in their competitive careers.  Papadakis/Cizeron have pioneered the sort of deep lyrical style that you now see other teams imitating, though there's plenty of program diversity among the Gadbois teams, ranging from things like Fear/Gibson's pure fun disco to Chock/Bates' flirty program to, among the junior teams, Lajoie/Lagha's uber-dramatic classical program.

Quote

How does one pronounce Gadbois?

Gad-bwah.

Share this post


Link to post

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva just hit her triple axel at the Cup of Russia!  I feel so bad she got sick when her season was building such momentum.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Will be interesting to see who Rusfed send to Worlds.

Zhenya just won the Cup of Russia! Oh the drama! 

As much as I would enjoy the celebrity factor of Zhenya and Alina at Worlds I personally think it's better for Zhenya to chill and keep working at it for next season. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.today.com/video/olympian-gracie-gold-opens-up-about-her-struggles-off-the-ice-1446678595704

Gracie's interview on Today. It's so troubling that she talks about how saying "Oh I ate a tomato today" is so common among figure skaters. Major disordered eating -- wonder if there's any elite skater who hasn't had some disordered eating.

Another profile of Tessa Virtue.

https://thewalrus.ca/the-olympics-are-over-but-tessa-virtue-is-just-getting-started/

Again, she says she didn't even eat a grape withou tthinking "Will this help me win the Olympics." So troubling.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size