Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OriginalCyn

Figure Skating

19 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

And let's not forget his finest moment, his role as Sergei in Center Stage. 

Yes! Love that movie!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

That hideous giraffe jacket--*shudder.* 

That outfit! Has he ever given an explanation about what he was thinking with that outfit?

I’ll never understand Scott Hamilton talking about how good Ilia will be in four years. Hey, Scott, you don’t have to wait 4 years to watch his gold medal performance. You literally just watched it.

1 minute ago, Jeddah said:

That outfit! Has he ever given an explanation about what he was thinking with that outfit?

I’ll never understand Scott Hamilton talking about how good Ilia will be in four years. Hey, Scott, you don’t have to wait 4 years to watch his gold medal performance. You literally just watched it.

One thing that was so annoying about Scott Hamilton was that he was very shameless about plugging anyone on Stars on Ice. After awhile it became really obvious -- if you weren't on SOI, he always peppered his commentary with little backhanded compliments. Sandra Bezic was the same way.

• Like 3

On 1/11/2022 at 8:54 AM, Lady Whistleup said:

I actually wonder what convos between David Pelletier and his now-wife Katia Gordeeva are like re: the SLC scandal. I have a feeling B&S's skating would have been way more to Katia's tastes. 

I remember that when Katia was asked (in the midst of the scandal) which team deserved the gold, she said that B/S did. Guess DP decided to let that slide. They look very happy together.

11 hours ago, healthnut said:

Current ladies could definitely make IJS work better for them by trying more difficult combinations or doing them in the second half vs the first half. I, too, would like to see spins worth more points and I'm SO SICK of Beilmann spins, can we give out level 4 for centered spins with more revolutions instead of just achieving hypermobile positions?

I think revaluing 3A is a good idea, I think it's sad 30 years after Midori and Tonya we are just now getting to a place where there is more than one or two ladies attempting them. The gold standard in the men's event used to be the 3A/3T combo and that's such a rarity now. I'd love to see it make a comeback.

I get what you're saying about falls having pretty fair penalties. At the same time the ladies who won gold, silver and bronze at Worlds this year all had falls, some more than one. Meanwhile the skaters in fourth snd fifth had clean programs that were winners artistically. Something is wrong with the sport when the people who are on the podium always have one or more falls. Europeans was the same thing--falls for two out of the three medalists. It makes it seem like falls aren't a big deal anymore. 

Agreed about Biellmann's. My suggestion would be classic, centered layback for the short program and Biellmann or catch foot positions for the long. Very few skaters do a proper layback now. Karen Chen is one of the few.

Agreed too about reevaluating the triple axel. I wouldn't have it be worth more than a quad lutz, flip or loop but definitely worth more than a quad toe or salchow.

While we're changing things, please add a spiral sequence for the long program. Flexibility and extension should be valued in figure skating. 

Also, can something be done about step sequences to keep them all from looking so similar? Everyone now feels the need to slide on their knee at some point whether or not it makes choreographic sense. Illusions are forced in where they don't look good because---points.

• Like 3

Didn't they say no lying, sitting, etc , on the ice (maybe in the '90's, after all the "dying on ice" scenes)? At the time I think that included all the slides and moves that looked like falls. To me, these moves look like show skating, not competitive.

• Like 1

I can't believe they won gold^^^^. Must've been that slide at the end by Platov--that was what got them the 6.0, definitely! 🙄.  Torville & Dean were way ahead of the other two teams, athletically and artistically. Even U/Z were more athletic. 

• Like 2