Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

Does anybody know what's going on with Ting? I know she had the ankle injury last year but I thought she'd be competing this season. I was hoping I'd see her in one of the ISP events. She's one of the ladies I thought would be giving Alysa a run for her money in 2022.

Speaking of Alysa, I'm curious to know how the triple axel is for her in practice these days. Was the ISP event a fluke thing or does she not really have it anymore? I hope the pressure she's under isn't getting to her. I don't want her to be another example of the hype machine blowing a skater's self confidence. 

I like Mariah's programs. I always feel the joy when she skates even when she isn't at 100%.

Bradie still has work to do but I feel like she always gives it her all. 

I'm always rooting for Amber and hope she kills it at Nationals. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Does anybody know what's going on with Ting? I know she had the ankle injury last year but I thought she'd be competing this season. I was hoping I'd see her in one of the ISP events. She's one of the ladies I thought would be giving Alysa a run for her money in 2022.

She posted a clip of her short program back in July but nothing else skating related since. I’ve seen some posts on twitter that’s she’s still recovering from last year’s injury but that could just be speculation. 

• Love 2
On 10/7/2020 at 7:08 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Read the link in the bio. It looks like they're covering everything between Peacock, NBCSN, and NBC.

From my online cable guide:  NBCSN will be showing Skate America from 8-midnight Friday, 23rd and NBC will show it 3-6 pm Saturday. 

• Useful 4

Has anyone watched any of the skates from the Russian Cup events? 

Kamila had a rough long and I definitely felt for her since she seems to be the current favorite along with Anna. The amount of pressure they're all under must be overwhelming. 

I don't really love Bolero for Kamila. I'm not sure yet what her style is but I feel like her team could have chosen something better for her. I like Bolero in general but I don't think it's working here. That being said, I do think that she's a special skater and it seems like she's more than just being the latest kid off of the Eteri assembly line even with all of the leg kicks and everything. She has a spark and I'm hoping that she gets the right programs next season so that she'll really shine.

Anna continues to wow me. I feel like she has a little bit of everything and it won't surprise me at all if she manages to pull off a threepeat at Nationals. 

I'm definitely keeping an eye on Daria. She has the artistry. Give her some non warhorse music and let's see what she can do. A little unfortunate that she and Trusova have the same music this season. 

Trusova still needs to work a lot on her PCS but I was surprisingly happy about her win. I get the impression that Kamila is the new favorite (for 2022) and it must be hard for Trusova to feel like the underdog with someone younger when she's only 16.

Bummer about Skate Canada. I hope Skate America is still on.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SeanC said:

Loena Hendrickx of Belgium's return to competition in Budapest after a year and a half's absence with various injuries.  So happy to see her again.

Wow, that short program of Loena's is the definition of "nailed it".

And on another note, at least I won't associate that song with Gabby Daleman's meltdown at nationals anymore.

On 10/15/2020 at 1:58 AM, Avaleigh said:

Has anyone watched any of the skates from the Russian Cup events? 

Kamila had a rough long and I definitely felt for her since she seems to be the current favorite along with Anna. The amount of pressure they're all under must be overwhelming. 

I don't really love Bolero for Kamila. I'm not sure yet what her style is but I feel like her team could have chosen something better for her. I like Bolero in general but I don't think it's working here. That being said, I do think that she's a special skater and it seems like she's more than just being the latest kid off of the Eteri assembly line even with all of the leg kicks and everything. She has a spark and I'm hoping that she gets the right programs next season so that she'll really shine.

Anna continues to wow me. I feel like she has a little bit of everything and it won't surprise me at all if she manages to pull off a threepeat at Nationals. 

I'm definitely keeping an eye on Daria. She has the artistry. Give her some non warhorse music and let's see what she can do. A little unfortunate that she and Trusova have the same music this season. 

Trusova still needs to work a lot on her PCS but I was surprisingly happy about her win. I get the impression that Kamila is the new favorite (for 2022) and it must be hard for Trusova to feel like the underdog with someone younger when she's only 16.

Bummer about Skate Canada. I hope Skate America is still on.

I'm ok with Kamila experimenting. The SP is more her thing and she is glorious in it so I think it's probably good that she does a really strange free just for the sake of something different. I find out strange but I've watched it several times (the test skate version not the latest version with all the falls). Kamila mesmerises me. Rika is my darling but Kamila is definitely close!

Speaking of falls her falls on the 4T scare the crap out of me. She tilts on this crazy axis and crashes. It just freaks me out.

They need a new choreographer besides that Danni G fellow. It's starting to feel like he just clobbers up random routines with similar moves. The girls actually sell them beautifully for what they are!

I've watched all the Russian Cups so far and they are awesome. Between that and the US Challenge submissions it feels great to have skating back!

• Love 1

As everyone will see I’m completely behind on FS news. With everything that’s been going on I haven’t been keeping up. Just a few comments. 

I’m stunned about the James/Cipres news. I was a fan. Loved them, but I’m disgusted by Cipres alleged actions. I feel terrible for Vanessa as this was her last chance to perhaps win an Olympic medal. She’s too old to start over with a new partner. So her career will remain just what it is and in part tarnished by her partner’s alleged actions. 

With the Grand Prix final being postponed, I don’t think a new date has been selected, and now with the cancellation of Skate Canada and Four Continents, this FS season looks to be turning into a bust. 

I was also shocked to read Medvedeva is back with Eteri. Considering how contentious their parting was I thought it’d be a cold day in hell before they reunited but COVID seems to be wrecking havoc on many situations. Her situation is unfortunate as well as her competitive career is more likely than not over. Very sad.

It’ll be interesting to see what the skating world looks like after the pandemic calms. I suspect many who were staples in the sport before all this happened will disappear into the ether and perhaps those who were up and coming phenoms will too. A lot can change in a year without the motivation that comes with competing, injury, growth spurts (for the tweens), aging (for the older competitors) etc., which can quickly change the game. 

Edited by Enero
Edited after catching up on thread
  • Love 7

The Grand Prix event in France has been canceled. At least Skate America is going forward this weekend. That may be the only skating competition we'll get to see for a long time. I wonder how they will decide the Olympic placements if they don't have World's in the spring.

Edited by Good Queen Jane

It looks like I'll only get to see skating tonight, from 8 PM--midnight. And tomorrow from 9PM--midnight. Does that sound right to everyone who gets NBCSN (but not Peacock)?  Isn't there anything on regular NBC? I keep thinking I'm missing out on something.,

On 10/22/2020 at 12:04 PM, HartofDixie said:

Thanks for this link. I really like Mariah and her skating. Her style reminds me of the good ol' days when we just naturally expected top athletic skills along with stunning artistry & got them both. The sport has moved on, though. So I think I'll be looking at ice dance after MB retires to get my artistic skating fix--unless some quad queen/king emerges whose *artistry* will take my breath away.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

It looks like I'll only get to see skating tonight, from 8 PM--midnight. And tomorrow from 9PM--midnight. Does that sound right to everyone who gets NBCSN (but not Peacock)?  Isn't there anything on regular NBC? I keep thinking I'm missing out on something.,

NBC will be showing SA from 3-6 ET tomorrow.

• Love 3

They are offering a 7-day trial on peacock premium, so you could sign up and watch Skate America for free and then cancel. Just a thought...

I did enjoy the event, some initial thoughts from the short programs and rhythm dance. 

Pairs - Alexa and Brandon are doing well for such a short time together, they need to work on their speed and connection but I expect that to come with time, Jessica and Brian are really strong if they can ever get those SBS jumps consistent, they were a disaster and still only three points behind Alexa and Brandon. Ashley underrotated her salcow and it was downgraded to a double and that triple lutz is so inconsistent, I wish they would just take it out of the short program.

Men's - nice to see Vincent jumping strong, don't think this Starry, Starry Night program is good for him but maybe it will grow on me. Missed Jason.

Ladies - I wish Bradie kept her short from last year, it was such a good vehicle, this Florence & the Machines and attempt at a sexy vibe just does not work, IMO. Mariah had to use her long program dress for her short because her new short program dress was messing up her jumps, not sure what she is wearing today. Amber didn't try the triple axel but has been landing them okay in practice, will be interested to see if she throws it today. I thought Karen Chen did well but I believe her combo was downgraded. Gracie only did doubles and didn't do a combo, so...yeah.

Dance - probably the best event of the night, hate Madison Hubbell's new dress but I still like the new program, don't love it but it's so much better than last year. Zach looks STRONG. Way more pop than he's had the last two seasons.

Edited by healthnut
  • Love 2

I didn’t mind they started using music with vocals until all of the ladies started doing all these songs that all sound about the same.  I miss having more dynamic music...much of what they are using is fairly bland, IMO.

• Love 5

Just some thoughts: it's strange, but I found myself watching pairs last night after a long gap. I used to love pairs (back in the Natalia/Artur, Sale/Pelletier days) but it got boring to me later on. Last night's programs were fine, despite bobbles, cause this has not been a typical training year for any of the skaters (all disciplines). Interesting to see Max Naumov, son of Shishkova and Naumov (remember those day?). The music at this competition has mostly irritated me, esp the men's SP (excluding Vincent's & Nathan's--they were the highlights).  Just now though I have to admit it was wonderful to hear Carmen during K/O's LP and Rachmaninov during Cain/Leduc's LP. 

Yes!!! Knierem/Frazier win gold and after only training together since last spring? They looked so solid and steady.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Does anyone else struggle not to check out when they hear Hallelujah now? 

For some reason, I like it more now than I did years ago. Plus, after listening for several hours to some of the dreck skaters use, it's a welcome relief. I was even glad to hear the old war horses, Carmen & Rachmaninov, tonight.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, alexa said:

I didn’t mind they started using music with vocals until all of the ladies started doing all these songs that all sound about the same.  I miss having more dynamic music...much of what they are using is fairly bland, IMO.

Yes!

I never knew there were so many slowed-down versions of mid-tempo and up-tempo pop songs until vocals were allowed. Also, when anyone is skating to music with vocals, the commentators talking over the music is just annoying. It's like they're competing with each other.

14 hours ago, Chaser said:

Does anyone else struggle not to check out when they hear Hallelujah now? 

That's me with anything from Moulin Rouge. It's my cue to fast-forward.

Edited by lurkerbee
avoiding consecutive posts
  • Love 7

I watched a bit of the Ladies’ long last night. Mariah is a lovely, lovely skater. She has expression and grace in her arms and shoulders. She just needs to land those jumps.

Bradie. *sigh* I want to like her, but she needs to hold some of her positions just a half a beat longer. There’s one move she does, I think it’s a Charlotte, she dips down to the ice and pops back up before anyone can admire the line and grace. Ugh. 

• Love 5

Highlights from SA for me:

Alexa/Brandon - was so happy for both of them, being the stronger partners in their previous pairings, this had to feel good to have two (almost) clean skates and win a competition. I cheered when Alexa landed that throw triple lutz and geared up when they finished. Jessica/Brian are unquestionably the stronger pair team, their programs are beautiful but they’ve got to land this SBS jumps!

Hawayek/Baker - LOVE their new free dance, it suits them so well and really shows off their strengths, and it is compelling throughout. 

Karen Chen - her LP was so beautiful, she popped her triple loop and that kept her off the podium but this was the best she’s looked since she won Nationals in 2017. 
Audrey Shin - was not familiar with her, but what a debut! 

• Love 9

What a weird Skate America! I loved how everyone bowed in all four directions like there really were cheering people all around them. I feel like the cardboard cut outs would have been distracting for the skaters. I’m glad they were able to have the event. I just hope nobody gets sick.

Mariah was great! I was happy she mostly put it together here. I definitely would have given the bronze to Karen. I thought she was lovely. Audrey Shin was great, but I think Karen’s skating skills and spins were much better.

The men’s event was very predictable. I feel bad for Vincent, just because he will always be in Nathan’s shadow. The narrative is always “Nathan is best in the world, and he goes to Yale!” and “Vincent is doing okay, and he stopped going to Brown.” In most years, an American man who has a World Medal and sixth place finish at the Olympics would be treated like a star, but Vincent will never have that recognition. I love Nathan, and he 100% deserves the accolades. I just feel bad for Vincent.

Bradie used to seem more confident, and now it seems like there is no spark there. Both of her costumes were terrible. They both had a weird jewel design in the back that looked like it was leading into her butt crack. There were a lot of terrible costumes, but Bradie’s were the worst.

And poor Gracie. I feel like she is torturing herself for a comeback that isn’t going to happen.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 5

H/B had the best program of the competition IMO. 

Mariah’s ABBA program doesn’t work for me at all. It felt flat and the choreography simple.

I’m not a fan of Bradie’s short. I don’t think that rock style works for her. I like when she goes quirky and modern. Her long has more potential. I like the build in the music and the transitions between elements. She just needs to take her time. 

Jessica seemed like she could not get her feet under her. Sad because I think her and Brian are a gorgeous pair. They probably had my favorite long (I’m a sucker for Queen).

Gracie looks miserable and it doesn’t look like she’s improving. I just hope this ‘comeback’ doesn’t set her back. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Jeddah said:

What a weird Skate America! I loved how everyone bowed in all four directions like there really were cheering people all around them. I feel like the cardboard cut outs would have been distracting for the skaters.

Just watching from home I find those cutouts wildly distracting - I keep looking at them instead of the skaters: "Hey, is that a cutout of Bea Arthur? Nah, they wouldn't want to pay for the likeness of a celebrity. Is that a kitten with a placard written in Japanese? Must be a Yuzuru fan. Speaking of, there's a Pooh Bear knock-off. And another. Oh, wait, watch the skater. Hmm, sure are lots of Geico lizards watching this event, too. Hey, is that another one of the man holding the Nathan sign? I wonder if there are any duplicates out in the 'audience.' Oh yeah, watch the skater." Sad.

Still, it's definitely better than nothing. Any word if Cup of China, Rostelecom, or NHK are still going to happen?

And I'm with everyone hating the music. Thank goodness for the mute button.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Maybe I'm weird, but I liked having the cardboard cutouts (and the recorded applause). It would've been awful without them. I really didn't notice them much.

I thought I saw that the Russian event was still on. I wonder if any Americans will go. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Any word if Cup of China, Rostelecom, or NHK are still going to happen?

They're all still listed on the Peacock schedule. I assume it's kind of a day-to-day thing though and any of them could be cancelled at any time.

I think the skaters competing at each event could only be ones that were currently living in the place the event was occurring, right?

And speaking of, does anyone know who exactly is competing at any of the upcoming events?

Also, on the Peacock schedule they have U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series (Senior and Junior) listed for November/December. What are those? I never really follow figure skating too closely so I'm confused. But this year, I'm more interested in it just because it's something to do/watch to keep my mind off this hellscape we're living in lol.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Also, on the Peacock schedule they have U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series (Senior and Junior) listed for November/December. What are those?

They are new this year because of Covid.  They are taking the place of Regionals and Sectionals to decide what skaters get to go to Nationals. The rules of how it works is listed here.  It is pretty complicated. Basically the top five finishers in each discipline from last years Nationals and the top four from the ISP Points Challenge get a bye, and the rest come from these competitions.

11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Maybe I'm weird, but I liked having the cardboard cutouts (and the recorded applause).

I'm even weirder. I (or my picture) was one of the cardboard cutouts!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3