Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OriginalCyn

Figure Skating

This made me remember when I went to Stars on Ice last year, Zach and Madison got barely any reception when they came out/skated. It cracked me up so much lol.

• Laugh 3
  • Surprise 2

On 6/15/2020 at 3:56 AM, displayname said:

Season not really going to happen, is it?

I hope it still happens. Maybe with modifications it could still be feasible? 

The US Open seems like it's going to happen only without the spectators. Maybe a similar arrangement could be put in place for skating. Maybe cut down on the number of competitors for the grand prix events so that fewer people are on the ice for each warm up. Maybe have people leave the arena right after they get their marks.

Worlds, 4cc, and Europeans are more problematic but ideally they'd still be able to be held. 

I'm just really bummed with the idea of no figure skating season. I want to see how everyone is shaping up since we're less than two years away from the Olympics. 

Edited by Avaleigh · Reason: Clarification and typos.
  • Like 3

I don't know if I'm sad. The skating's been boring, and honestly I can take a break from the godawful stans on twitter. Frankly, maybe the athletes will start feeling like that after a bit.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 4:55 AM, displayname said:

I don't know if I'm sad. The skating's been boring, and honestly I can take a break from the godawful stans on twitter. Frankly, maybe the athletes will start feeling like that after a bit.

I’ve done the same on twitter for skating and gymnastics. The stans have gotten worse since quarantine began.

While watching Athlete A on Netflix (new documentary on the USA Gymnastics scandal), I was constantly reminded of Ladies Figure Skating. They hit hard on the Karolyi's and how they were responsible for ushering in the trend of young gymnasts with child like bodies that could easily do the difficult flips and twists, and how this began the dangerous precedent of young, trusting children being controlled and abused by adults, both physically and mentally. All I could think is that "I hope the ISU is taking notes." 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I'm reminded of seeing the "new" style of Russian pairs skaters. Didn't they refer to them as the gorilla and the ant? Or something like that (big male with tiny, very young female partner).

On 6/26/2020 at 8:09 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I'm reminded of seeing the "new" style of Russian pairs skaters. Didn't they refer to them as the gorilla and the ant? Or something like that (big male with tiny, very young female partner).

G&G come to mind.

54 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

G&G come to mind.

They were one of the original gorilla & ant pair teams (but G&G's look wasn't so extreme--he didn't look like he could crush her with one hand!)

• Like 1

Bummer. I wonder if any of it had to do with citizenship? At some point that was going to have to be resolved if either of them had Olympic goals. Maybe they felt like it wasn't going to happen and better for both to find other partners now. Or maybe he didn't want to continue? In any case, she is wonderful, so hopefully she finds another partner that suits her.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, redpencil said:

Bummer. I wonder if any of it had to do with citizenship? At some point that was going to have to be resolved if either of them had Olympic goals. Maybe they felt like it wasn't going to happen and better for both to find other partners now. Or maybe he didn't want to continue? In any case, she is wonderful, so hopefully she finds another partner that suits her.

Ponomarenko and Carreira won’t be eligible for 2022 (she’s Canadian).