Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

On 7/28/2020 at 3:49 PM, healthnut said:

I remember Shawn Johnson’s parents took out like three mortgages on their house to pay for her gymnastics. And it worked out for them as she became a gold medalist but you never hear the stories of the parents who do that and the child doesn’t make it. 

Odds are most athletes don't make it to where they can be a Simone Biles or Micheal Phelps. Sadly, I've seen parents take out loans and max out credit cards but their child doesn't make it in the end or gets injured and has to quit. Even in dance. That has to be a lot of pressure to do well when your parents are maxing out their credit cards and working jobs to put in on the top. Gabby Douglas mom had to file bankruptcy. I want to see the ones who don't make it. How do they fare? 

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 2

Alena  leaving is shocking but it's  not a surprised. I think there's something else going on at Eteri's camp. She's losing skaters left and right.  It sounds like Alena couldn't get her jumps back or 3A and went back to the coach that helped her Sergi? 

Eteri trashing a 16 yo after winning coach of the year. Then keeps bringing  up her past students who left her. When will she grow up?  We've seen this with Yulia, Polina, Medvedeva, Trusova, and now Alena. It's a cycle. Her skaters don't last long because she teaches them poor technique and keeps them thin. Then creates a hungers game environment. I'm sure the older skaters know they're fighting puberty and see the young ones jump like crazy. Alena is 17 this month. She's already an old lady in Eteri's group. She has been there the shortest and got her technique from someone else. I can't see Anna leaving. I can't  see Alina coming back. I hope Alena can get some good choreography. 

It's actually interesting leaving Eteri is a big deal especially since Eteri takes students who she doesn't teach either. Alena was taught by another coach. So whats the big deal with her leaving? She left her old coach for you. 

• Love 5

Plushenko is also involved with some lucrative ice shows in Russia. If Alena feels like she's "too old" at age 17 she might want to go to a coach that can get her in ice shows before her body gives out and she retires. 

I hope she continues to skate until 2022. She has a lovely lyrical quality to her skating and her triple axel is gorgeous.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

So the ISU has decided to go forward with the Grand Prix, kind of. ISU Announcement.. Lots of details to work out and I doubt that they will allow spectators in. But the ISU will still be able to get the television contracts money, so all is good. I wonder how many skaters will choose to participate.

That's great, Good Queen Jane, thanks for sharing! I can't imagine a whole year without getting to hold my breath every time Jason comes onscreen and hope that Yuzuru doesn't break anything else watch my faves. It's hard enough to be a figure skating fan in the US anyway (thanks for nothing NBC) so this is good news, however changed the GP may look this year.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 5
On 8/2/2020 at 1:04 AM, Crs97 said:

I watched Weight of Gold, and it is very well done and worth people’s time.  It has a triggering warning that should be taken seriously.  Both Sasha Cohen and Gracie Gold take part.

I watched this as well. It was a good start, but for such heavy subject matter it fell short. It really should’ve been much longer. I’d liked to have seen more diversity too from those who were speaking. Though they might’ve asked others to participate who declined. I think this hour long documentary barely scratched the surface, and will do little to make a difference with this issue that does needs to be taken seriously. 

What I found most interesting in the discussion was the statement that even when Olympic athletes are making money off their success, most will still be in financial debt while continuing to compete. I wonder how many Olympic athletes, successful or not, are still paying off fees for training etc. after retirement? I also wonder how this plays out with athletes from other countries where it seems like the federations (for some) play a bigger role in paying for training etc. for their premier Olympic athletes.  

I was glad to see them at least talk to athletes who made it to the Olympics but didn’t succeed (Lolo Jones, Kate Uhlaender, Jeremy Bloom), not all whom they spoke to even medaled at the games. I do have concerns about Gracie Gold, Lolo Jones and Kate Uhlaender. They all seemed to still be struggling, especially Kate. 

BOT: I’m glad to to hear the Grand Prix series will resume. I figured it would. They’d just have to keep out spectators and take special precautions to ensure all who are there social distance etc. However, I do wonder how they’ll handle the locations? Will the U.S. be cut out of the rotation and the event that’s normally held here be held in another country? Because we’re not exactly winning the war on COVID right now. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Enero said:

However, I do wonder how they’ll handle the locations? Will the U.S. be cut out of the rotation and the event that’s normally held here be held in another country? Because we’re not exactly winning the war on COVID right now. 

Since the events are for athletes within the host country and anybody else who can get into that country according to whatever travel restrictions are in place, the US is fine to host an event for its own skaters plus foreign skaters who train there.

Skate Canada International's ice dance event is going to be absolutely nuts.  Four of last season's six Grand Prix Finalists train in Canada. 

Similarly, the Rostelecom ladies' event.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Since the events are for athletes within the host country and anybody else who can get into that country according to whatever travel restrictions are in place, the US is fine to host an event for its own skaters plus foreign skaters who train there.

Skate Canada International's ice dance event is going to be absolutely nuts.  Four of last season's six Grand Prix Finalists train in Canada. 

Are any top skaters training or representing countries who don’t usually host a Grand Prix event? I’m thinking no, but I could be missing someone. 

Edited by Enero
7 hours ago, Enero said:

Are any top skaters training or representing countries who don’t usually host a Grand Prix event? I’m thinking no, but I could be missing someone. 

The Korean girls would be the biggest losers, assuming they can’t get into China or Japan.

Travel is currently allowed in the Schengen Area, so non-Russian Europeans can go to France.

• Love 2

I thought The Weight of Gold was good, not great. I also thought it needed to be longer and go more in depth. It tried to cover too many things so nothing was really covered well. I’m shocked they didn’t have any other interviewees besides athletes, no coaches or sports writers. The glaring miss was the lack of mental health professionals. I, too, thought they needed more athletes, it seemed to have mostly winter sports except for Lolo and Michael. Shocked they didn’t have a gymnast and while Lolo and Apollo are POC, it didn’t seem to have enough diversity either. I think ESPN could probably do a really good 30 for 30 on the topic and do it justice. From the skating perspective, Gracie was extremely honest whereas Sasha didn’t really add much in my opinion. She was whining about falling in the Olympics but it was like, Sasha you NEVER skated a clean long, literally no one expected you to win gold. 

• Love 9

Haven't seen any mention of this news that appears to have come out ca. August 4, about major problems in the French federation - and I can totally understand nobody wanting to mention yet more distressing reports of this kind.  https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/french-figure-skating-probe-sex-abuse-allegations-1.5673589

In happier news, an article linked from the one above confirms dates and places for Skate America (week before Skate Canada, Las Vegas) and Skate Canada (wkend of Oct 29, Ottawa), though there's little detail, as you'd expect.  Local pool of skaters, as we knew, but also all officials will be local, so no doubt there will be more than usual griping about judging bias.  And no international scoring points to be awarded at these Grand Prix events. No decision on the final.  I haven't seen any news about TV broadcast or streaming of these "localized" GP events, either, so please post if you find anything. 

Edited by surreysmum
On 8/4/2020 at 9:51 PM, SeanC said:

And save for places like New Zealand, there are often loopholes to allow entry to a country under assorted 'exceptional talent' clauses.  Which can be anything from admitting a scientist, engineer, or medical professional to a location where no local can do that kind of specialty work (Germany has done this for a while) to athletes for specific competitions. Track and field's Monaco Diamond League event worked with French border control to create an entry procedure for athletes from otherwise banned locations like the USA so they could compete in yesterday's meeting. 

16 hours ago, honeywest said:

Bradie Tennell is going to Tom Zakrajsek.

Why am I not excited by this news? I really don't know much about TZ, how effective he is with top skaters, what his specialties are (well, today those specialties would *have* to be triple Axel's & quads). 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yuzu is in Japan, right? Why not at least do NHK? The Fanyus would love to see him perform.

I have seen a longer version of this article in which he hinted broadly that the Fanyus (and their propensity to travel in masses to see him) were a major reason for his decision. When he says he has to do what he can not to spread the virus, he's not just talking about himself and any coach he would bring.  And yes, I'm sure we all know that even if no fans are allowed into the arena for a competition, that won't hinder the Fanyus from finding other ways to gather.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

Here's the quote from "International Figure Skating". See especially the last paragraph:

The Japan Skating Federation announced today that Yuzuru Hanyu will miss the Grand Prix Series this season.

“I would like to act with caution as much as possible, because there is information that if a person with a basic respiratory disease suffers from a new coronavirus, it will be more likely to get severe," he said with respect to him being asthmatic.

“It is expected that it will be difficult for a coach living in Canada to come to Japan. On the other hand, if I participate in a Canadian competition, it is necessary to be self-isolated for two weeks. During that period, I cannot perform any skating activities such as practice, so I could not compete in perfect condition with the athletes.

“In the coronary [typo for corona, I assume] catastrophe, as I move, many people may move and gather and, as a result, the risk of infection may increase. If I try to refrain from it and try to prevent the spread of the infection, I think it can be one of the activities to help prevent the spread of the infection."

Mr. Hanyu is a smart cookie - and an ethical one.

Edited by surreysmum
Edited to make clear the distinction between IFS' text and my comment.
  • Love 16
22 hours ago, surreysmum said:

Here's the quote from "International Figure Skating". See especially the last paragraph:

The Japan Skating Federation announced today that Yuzuru Hanyu will miss the Grand Prix Series this season.

“I would like to act with caution as much as possible, because there is information that if a person with a basic respiratory disease suffers from a new coronavirus, it will be more likely to get severe," he said with respect to him being asthmatic.

“It is expected that it will be difficult for a coach living in Canada to come to Japan. On the other hand, if I participate in a Canadian competition, it is necessary to be self-isolated for two weeks. During that period, I cannot perform any skating activities such as practice, so I could not compete in perfect condition with the athletes.

“In the coronary [typo for corona, I assume] catastrophe, as I move, many people may move and gather and, as a result, the risk of infection may increase. If I try to refrain from it and try to prevent the spread of the infection, I think it can be one of the activities to help prevent the spread of the infection."

Mr. Hanyu is a smart cookie - and an ethical one.

Yes, I give him props for not only having the wisdom to sit the Grand Prix Series out, but also for setting forth very clearly and logically his reasons for doing so, including a subtle admonition to the Fanyus themselves to exercise a little common sense and restraint. Well done!

• Love 10
10 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Ah, yes. I was a bit confused at first, but then I remembered that the Knierims had made the mutual business decision to skate with different partners this year (although they're still very happily married OFF the ice).

Chris isn't skating with anybody, he retired because he's been struggling with depression and general motivation of late (which was obvious to some extent from the last season or so).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Chris isn't skating with anybody, he retired because he's been struggling with depression and general motivation of late (which was obvious to some extent from the last season or so).

Thanks for clearing that up!

18 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

It was just announced that Johnny Weir will be one of the "stars" in Dancing with the Stars starting in September. I can't imagine that he will wear dancing costumes even more outlandish than his normal outfits.

I’m torn because I would love to see Johnny on DWTS but I don’t want to watch after they fired Tom Bergeron. Sigh. 

• Love 6
On 8/4/2020 at 2:35 PM, Growsonwalls said:

Plushenko is also involved with some lucrative ice shows in Russia. If Alena feels like she's "too old" at age 17 she might want to go to a coach that can get her in ice shows before her body gives out and she retires. 

I hope she continues to skate until 2022. She has a lovely lyrical quality to her skating and her triple axel is gorgeous.

According to the skating lesson which I don't like to listen to but hell they're the only ones who keep up with drama she has multiple injuries. It doesn't shock me. You can't keep jumping and forcing run-throughs like Eteri does. Especially doing high risk elements. The body gives out. Watching the novice and junior Russian skaters holy hell. I hope Alena can last. She's a wonderful skater but with younger girls having quads and 3a and the force on the body many ladies will not last long. Liza is the exception but her coach actually cares about her health. 

On 8/24/2020 at 1:28 AM, honeywest said:

Bradie Tennell is going to Tom Zakrajsek.

Tom Z. Can't forget how he treated Josh Farris and make excuses. He was upset Vincent was called out for his UR and made excuses for it.He also loves attention and only cares about jumps. His constant repetitions is scary. Good luck to Bradie. I hope she stays injury free and does well. 

Josh Farris. Today's figure skating could've benefited from his influence, IMO. To me, he was another one of those rare skaters who perfectly blended artistry & athleticism (which is what the sport of figure skating was created to be--something not easy to accomplish). 

• Love 8
On 9/5/2020 at 2:56 PM, Darknight said:

Tom Z. Can't forget how he treated Josh Farris and make excuses. He was upset Vincent was called out for his UR and made excuses for it.He also loves attention and only cares about jumps. His constant repetitions is scary. Good luck to Bradie. I hope she stays injury free and does well. 

Josh Farris was one of my favorites, I always loved watching him. Such a beautiful skater. IIRC he had a lot of injuries, sadly. What’s the deal with his coach?

• Love 2

AIM (formerly Gadbois) is running a fundraising stream for the Academy next weekend that will feature a practice session/program stuff from 19 of their teams, including all the big names.  Jordan Cowan (OnIcePerspectives), who works for them now on promotional materials, is handling the camera work, and posted some tests that he's doing.

• Love 1

Thoughts from the IAM Live:

Chock & Bates didn’t skate, they do have a new FD, I know nothing about it. 
Papadakis & Cizeron - both programs are new, they showed parts of their new free dance to Jalouise tango, it’s very good but definitely needs work and they seem out of shape. They were really huffing  and puffing. 
Hubbell & Donahue - new programs, showed their new rhythm dance to selections from Burlesque. Express was the first song not familiar with the second song. They made a lot of mistakes and stopped a couple of times so I wasn’t able to see the whole program but folks, IT IS SO MUCH BETTER than last year. HALLELUJAH. I have hope for them again. 

This is the first time I've ever like Trusova. Did Plushenko really teach her lyricism that quickly? Looking forward to her stretching out her choreography further and maybe holding that cantilever a second longer.

Also agree with Jackie Wong that Kostornaia should just go with Bad Guy if she wants to use Billie Eilish.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:35 PM, halopub said:

This is the first time I've ever like Trusova. Did Plushenko really teach her lyricism that quickly? Looking forward to her stretching out her choreography further and maybe holding that cantilever a second longer.

Also agree with Jackie Wong that Kostornaia should just go with Bad Guy if she wants to use Billie Eilish.

When I watched the short program I thought I saw improvement in Trusova. Then I saw the long program and I basically feel like she's still in the same place artistically. The Romeo and Juliet program is a miss for me. It's like they want the music to do the artistic heavy lifting for her because she still isn't capable. She really, really can't afford to miss the jumps because she doesn't have much else to offer.

I think Anna looks good. I wish that she knew how to properly point her toes. It's such a shame because she has great extension and she'd look a lot more finished if she could manage to point her toes and hold positions. She may have missed the quad but it didn't take away from the program in the same way it took away from Trusova's because there are so many other enjoyable aspects of her skating. 

I love Aliona but that short program didn't work for me. I wonder if she still has the triple axel? 

Speaking of the triple axel, Elizaveta seemed like the wind was taken out her sails after the fall. The entire program felt labored and uninspired. 

I root so hard for Evgenia and keep walking away feeling disappointed. I want somebody leave the Eteri camp and be successful. Obviously many people have walked away from her and been successful in life, but I want somebody to walk away from that camp and have the best season of their life the following year or so. I was starting to think that person might be Aliona, but I'm not feeling confident based on that short program. Was she there for the long? I didn't see her or Sofia's long. 

Kamila has a lot of potential. I don't think Bolero is a great choice for her but I enjoy her skating. Actually tbh I wasn't super happy with any of the musical choices from this group. Not one selection was a stand out. The Masquerade Waltz does seem like a good fit for Evgenia, but the overall program still needs a lot of work. 

Any word on why Alina wasn't there? I thought I read she was back in the hunt?

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

In the continuing bizzare-ness that is 2020 Zhenya is apparently going back to Eteri!!!!!!

What the...

2020 is unreal and the Russians have so much drama. They need their own reality show. 

Maybe this is a political move. Eteri skaters get bonuses. Alena isn't in good shape. Alina retired. Trusova looks that same but improved a little bit. Eteri has two open spots. No skater past 17/18 survived Eteri school. Maybe Medvedeva and Eteri will prove she can survive after puberty but I doubt. This change sounds like a political move. Med gets the Eteri bonus. Poor Brian. I feel bad for him. He put a lot of work in to help her heal and fix her bad technique. I read her back is bothering her. Well, I guess Eteri will be easy on her then and teach her properly. Just like she taught Elizabeth and Alina. 

• Love 3

This is why you teach proper technique. Anna is barely getting up there.  She's another Yulia. I like Anna but how hard is it to teach proper technique to prevent injuries and to make it grow with a skater? 

Kamilla deserves better. Danii needs some choreography classes asap. 

Alena sp is a mess. 

Trusova I hope she continues to work more on things besides jumps. Her SP was good. Her long not so much. She should focus on one quad the 4T. That's her good quad and build other aspects of her skating up. If she doesn't she's going to fall behind and someone with skating skills and technique like Rika will be ahead of her. Judges tend to look for other aspects when skaters have similar ones. At least they should 

The real star was Mikhail Kolyada. 

None of these girls were ready. I don't understand why Russia held  test skates. 

And I cringe not seeing people wear masks. Sofia had a fever and apparently she's fine but I worry about people like Tarasova and Mishin who are high risk. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

This is a bit conspiracy theorist of me but I really hope Zhenya is ok.

The latest Instagram picture patted by Eteri's team seems....distressing.

It probably was really difficult training with Orser in Canada in the middle of a pandemic. She probably also gets more access to ice shows being located in Russia during the pandemic.