Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

I wonder how many skaters are not already in Canada/North America. I feel like it's probably a lot of them? If so, I would have thought they could just do it without fans. How many of those are now going to be traveling anyway?

My heart goes out to all the skaters who worked so hard to get there 💔. What a disappointing end to everyone's season.

Yeah. I'm bummed for myself and all of us fans who can't watch, but I'm mostly sad for those skaters who may not get another opportunity, or if they do, may not be in the same competitive position. Or even extending that, for the 2nd or 3rd skater from some country who may have had a chance next year and now might not depending on how they end up allocating spots.

ETA: On the number of spots, I'm really curious to see what they'll end up doing (like others, I don't see how October is remotely practical). Will they just do the same allocation again? Will they do some one-time mishmash of current spots and Grand Prix standings or something?

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, healthnut said:

They’ve cancelled Worlds. It’s not surprising but still sucks. I feel bad for Chock/Bates who had a lot of momentum and a great chance to medal and the US ladies who had a chance to get three spots next year. 

Yeah, its not surprising but it still sucks. I was so looking forward to it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, redpencil said:

ETA: On the number of spots, I'm really curious to see what they'll end up doing (like others, I don't see how October is remotely practical). Will they just do the same allocation again? Will they do some one-time mishmash of current spots and Grand Prix standings or something?

I imagine they'll just push the existing quotas forward; countries earned them in Saitama and haven't gotten to use them yet, there's nothing else that would be as simple and fair.

I agree that this was the right decision but I'm super bummed and feel sad for the athletes, coaches and families. It must feel so frustrating. 

I can't imagine it making sense to hold it in October unless they push back the Grand Prix and that would just throw off the timing for next season. I'm guessing it'll just stay canceled. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, healthnut said:

They’ve cancelled Worlds. It’s not surprising but still sucks. I feel bad for Chock/Bates who had a lot of momentum and a great chance to medal and the US ladies who had a chance to get three spots next year. 

And denying us the chance to see H/D's bitch faces when they finish 4th? DAMN YOU, Virus!

Feel the need to lighten shit up. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 7

Yes, I am sad but glad that they put the health of athletes and people before ticket sales.  

I WILL be wondering who would have won/medaled/finished.

In my fantasy world:

Mariah would have won Bronze.  

The men would be: Nathan, Hanyu, Bojang, and then Jason (not Nathan as I mistyped).

Ice Dance would have been:  Chock/Bates, The French Team, Gillies/Poriet and then H/D..

Pairs, I have no idea anymore. 

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Yes, I am sad but glad that they put the health of athletes and people before ticket sales.  

I WILL be wondering who would have won/medaled/finished.

In my fantasy world:

Mariah would have won Bronze.  

The men would be: Nathan, Hanyu, Bojang, and then Nathan

Ice Dance would have been:  Chock/Bates, The French Team, Gillies/Poriet and then H/D..

Pairs, I have no idea anymore. 

Pairs:

1. Sui/Han

2. Random Russian Pair

3. Random Russian Pair

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Love that idea! My fantasy medals:

Dance - G:Chock/Bates S:Papadakis/Cizeron B:Gilles/Poirier

Pairs - G:Sui/Han S:Boikova/Kozlovskii B:Pavlieuchenko/Khodykin

Mens - G:Nathan S:Hanyu B:Jason 

Ladies - G:Sherbakova S:Mariah B:Rika 

• Love 6

It looks like the Ice Academy of Montreal has asked a videographer (On Ice Perspectives, who skaters frequently post videos from) to come film their routines in full costume and will stream it online. No judging, just a celebration of their programs. 

• Love 11

Since we're doing fantasy placements:

Men

1) Nathan 2) Jason 3) Kevin (Hey, this is fantasy! I love Shoma and Hanyu but in my fantasy they withdrew. I would be okay with Michal Brezina getting a bronze too. He's been in the game a long time and I felt bad for him at this year's Europeans after being first after the short and totally bombing in the long.)

Ladies

1) Aliona 2) Mariah 3) Anna (I wouldn't mind seeing Rika in third but I prefer Anna's programs this year.)

Dance

1) Chock/Bates 2) Papadakis/Cizeron 3) Gilles/Poirier (Same as healthnut here. I'd have been fine with Sinitsina/Katsalapov in third too.)

Pairs

Apart from Sui and Han I don't really have a favorite team in pairs right now. I like Tarasova and Morozov but I haven't been into their programs the past couple of seasons. 

• Love 5

If I were going to pick my dream podiums that were also at least somewhat possible, I would go:

Men: (1) Nathan (2) Hanyu (3) Jason or Vincent

Ladies: (1) Aliona (2) Anna (3) Mariah or Bradie

Dance: (1) Chock/Bates (2) & (3) anyone but Hubbell/Donahue

Pairs: (1) & (2) No preference (3) Calalang & Johnson

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

It's always such a shock when things like this happen to young people. I always enjoyed watching the Reeds skate together.

Specifically to young athletes, who are believed to be some of the most heathy people out there.

Condolences to Chris’ family, friends and coaches. 

I was rewatching the Vancouver original dance today, since we've got nothing but time to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlQdbpZnxGY

- Two cycles into the IJS, still so many teams with poor-quality twizzles that wouldn't be fit for a JGP podium today.

- So many American country programs, only one of them from an American team. The Kerrs win, among those.

- Domnina/Shabalin's program remains terrible in every sense.

- Seeing Tessa & Scott kill it on home ice is still so powerful, after all these years.

- I think there are only three people from this event who are still around (Allison Reed, Paul Poirier, Evan Bates), all with different partners (and in Allison's case, different countries) now.

• Love 1

Russian Dolls Have Transformed Figure Skating But At What Cost?

Interesting article. I’ve been out of the loop this FS season. So I had no idea Zagitova had decided to take a break from the sport. This is unfortunate. However, with many of her training mates dominating the sport nationally and internationally, that leaves her not only with less opportunities to compete at the big competitions, but likely reduces her importance to Eteri. 

It’s understandable that she’d take a break to reassess how to proceed or even if she wants to proceed. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

2018 Olympic Free Dance event

I love the Shibs so much! They had the program of the night in my opinion! Those twizzles!

I wasn’t a big fan of Chock and Bates back then, but that was sad. I’ve really started liking them a lot in the past two seasons, and I really hope they medal in Beijing. 

• Love 1
On 3/29/2020 at 7:24 PM, Jeddah said:

I wasn’t a big fan of Chock and Bates back then, but that was sad. I’ve really started liking them a lot in the past two seasons, and I really hope they medal in Beijing. 

I wasn't a fan of C/B until someone at Gadbois performed a miracle with this team. Not sure what they did but it worked. Maybe they helped Chock? Evan has always been a superb skater.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

It’s hard to be optimistic about any American pairs team. With their old partners they both lost the US two spots for the Olympics and Worlds. I doubt they’ll do much better together

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

It’s hard to be optimistic about any American pairs team. With their old partners they both lost the US two spots for the Olympics and Worlds. I doubt they’ll do much better together

That seems unduly pessimistic, especially since the biggest weakness for both was their other partner’s jumping problems (and, in the case of Alexa, Chris’ general depression).

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

That seems unduly pessimistic, especially since the biggest weakness for both was their other partner’s jumping problems (and, in the case of Alexa, Chris’ general depression).

I don’t think all of their problems can be blamed on their previous partners. But I’d love to be wrong in this instance!

1 hour ago, carrier76 said:

When did Denney and Frazier split?

Only a week ago! 

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I don’t think all of their problems can be blamed on their previous partners. But I’d love to be wrong in this instance!

Nobody is ever error-free (especially in pairs), but Alexa and Brandon were both the more consistent jumpers in their pairings.  Brandon can certainly do the lifts and throws and a solid twist.

15 hours ago, mrsnolatron said:

The Olympic Channel is re-airing the 2002 Salt Lake City figure skating events tonight. Just watched Ina and Zimmerman's free skate. Such babies!

I don't get the Olympic Channel, but during the 2002 Olympics I was on a work assignment out of town. I carefully set up my VCR with an extra-long tape (I think it would do 8 hours at the slowest record speed) to record the men's and women's events. That tape was passed around my friends for weeks.

That was the event where I finally sat down and analyzed the 6.0 system, so I could see how Sarah Hughes won. An amazing competition. And of course I saw the pair's competition because it was so controversial it was on all the time.

• Love 2

The ice-dancing competition made me laugh so hard.  It felt so...extra extra extra over the top.  It looks like it's become a little more skill based now.

The french team won the gold; was this why the pairs event was so messed up and there was a judging scandal?

6 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

The french team won the gold; was this why the pairs event was so messed up and there was a judging scandal?

Yes, it was the Russians trading with the French so that their dance team would win and the Russian pair. Allegedly - I don’t remember that anyone really got punished except the French judge who told. 

• Love 1