Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

On 2/6/2020 at 12:36 PM, NUguy514 said:

This is hilarious!  I love that the male ice dancer (I think?) and Terry were the only ones to recognize him, and Terry just immediately knew.  Scott Hamilton has always been and will always be a moron.

Also, Terry could still get it in a major way!

I just about died when he started asking about "twizzlers."  Hysterical!

• Love 2
On 2/6/2020 at 9:21 PM, Mellowyellow said:

She was. They gave her ridiculously low GOEs for some reason especially on her spins.

Her team is interesting. There is A LOT of emphasis on perfecting all her elements and not rushing but sometimes I feel like she's held to a higher standard and gets undeservedly penalised for all sorts of things.

I think the top 3 were spot on but I don't understand why Kaori got the highest PCS or was above Higuchi who I thought should have been 4th. 

Ladies did a fantastic job but the judging was odd.

And the commentator. YIKES!!!!!!!!!! 

I don't know how I'm going to watch Bradie's free with his ongoing drivel and incessant butchering of her surname 😵😵😵

One thing I love especially about that free is the angst she conveys. Dude is just going to kill the mood!

I don't understand why Japanese Fed refuses to advocate for their skaters. Especially Rika. Rika even has a proper real textbook Lutz. Why can't they reward her? It seems like Japan would rather hold up the Russian ladies and not their own. 

I suspect ISU might want a Russian sweep at Worlds. I'm sure Rika will go into World's with the fourth spot and judges will lowball her 

Kori shouldn't be landing or throwing out quads. She is going to hurt herself. 

8 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Do Didier finally resigned. I guess when Emmanuel Macron has to get involved ...

About time. 

32 minutes ago, Darknight said:

I don't understand why Japanese Fed refuses to advocate for their skaters. Especially Rika. Rika even has a proper real textbook Lutz. Why can't they reward her? It seems like Japan would rather hold up the Russian ladies and not their own. 

I suspect ISU might want a Russian sweep at Worlds. I'm sure Rika will go into World's with the fourth spot and judges will lowball her 

Kori shouldn't be landing or throwing out quads. She is going to hurt herself. 

About time. 

Yup that's what I think too.

Like I said I love Bradie and thought she should have been a silver. But PCS higher than Rika.....🤔🤔🤔

I'm not even particularly excited by Worlds since I'm pretty sure I know the outcome.

4CC was fantastic though. It's my Worlds for the season 😝

At Japanese Nationals they hammered their skaters for everything but were also docking Rika for spins seemingly out of nowhere.

I really don't get it as her coach is supposed to be very influential in Japan. 

Yay, Jason! And deservedly got higher PCS than Yuzuru (who was not great). Glad he's hasn't given up on at least attempting the 4T. As long as he does everything else as beautifully as he did here and at Nationals, he can still have good results while still working on that quad.

Also just realized the U.S. team got one of each color medal. And a 4th in Pairs if you want to pretend there's a pewter.

• Love 9

The competition for bronze among the men (because something bananas would have to happen for Chen and/or Hanyu to not be 1st and/or 2nd) is going to be fun/stressful for me watching worlds. All of my favorite artistic boys (Aliev, Aymoz, Brown) have a realistic shot if they go clean and other top contenders (like Jin) make mistakes in the free—as has happened multiple times this season. I have the least confidence in Aymoz, since even on a good day his success feels more accidental than assured. Aliev and Brown both seem to be on an upward trajectory since the start of the championships phase of the season.

• Love 3
On 2/7/2020 at 11:17 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

YES, Chock and Bates!

Wow. H/D got the bronze. They had the lead after the rhythm dance, but fell to third after the Free. And that was with C/B having a one point deduction.  The judges really are sending H/D a message. Am I a little happy that Piper Gilles just beat out her old partner Douche Donahue for the silver? Uh huh. 

They'd better do something before World's. This is starting to look like they'll be off the podium, all together, between the way that Chock and Bates have been scored this season, and the love jones that the judges seem to have to Sinitsina and Katsalapov. Now, you also throw Gilles and Poirier (NOT Gadbois!) into the mix as a team that jumped over them onto the podium.  Worlds should be FUN. 

I agree—though Madi has now tripped for the second competition in a row, which seems uncharacteristic. Very happy they won anyway, but that’s got to grate if you scored below them at either competition. 

H/D have been retooling their FD all season trying to get it to score higher. I think it’s just a clunker of a program, at the end of the day, and Zach can’t seem to skate it cleanly on top of that. 

On 2/7/2020 at 12:44 PM, TwoBitUsherette said:

I'd love to see a total count of just how many senior dance teams Gadbois has. I know there were ten of them at 4CC. Plus you've got teams like P/C, F/G, and S/D. Someone's got to leave eventually and I'm super curious as to who it will be and where they will go.

If it is Madi and Zach I wonder if they might try someone like Marina? For as dominant as she used to be, I feel like she's dropped off the face of the earth when it comes to ice dance. Maybe she's preoccupied enough with T/M right now to care.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:05 PM, Jeddah said:

My prediction is that Hubbell and Donahue won’t be there much longer. I doubt they’ll want to be around Chock and Bates after the way this season has gone.

ETA: Maybe they’ll have a good Worlds, but I’d be surprised. 

Knowing them, there has to be some frustration that they were in Montreal “first,” and C/B have now overtaken them after joining up two seasons ago (and really only one full season because of Madi C’s surgery last year). I do think it seems very crowded there, and very UNcrowded with Marina, especially considering Marina has had a team on the podium for the last how many Olympics now? It’s at least four (Belbin/Agosto in 2006, Virtue/Moir and Davis/White in 2010 and then in reversed order in 2014, the Shib Sibs in 2018). I know some of those were when she was with Igor, but he hasn’t had the same success since the split that she has. All that said, Zach‘s girlfriend and Madison’s fiancée also train in Montreal. I wonder if that might be a sticking factor in their venturing out elsewhere, or if Smart/Diaz would also make a switch at that point. 

I wonder if there’s any regret for leaving Calalang/Johnson off the worlds team after seeing their relative success here in an international field. 

Edited by Jillibean
2 hours ago, Jillibean said:

I wonder if there’s any regret for leaving Calalang/Johnson off the worlds team after seeing their relative success here in an international field. 

One of these days, US figure skating will finally see the light re: the Kneirems (it's always something).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

One of these days, US figure skating will finally see the light re: the Kneirems (it's always something).

In this case I think the Kneirims still would have gone. Calalang/Johnson would have been taking the place of Cain/LeDuc.

17 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Fanyus are all over Twitter complaining that Jason beat Yuzu on PCS. Sorry Fanyus, but Yuzu's program was not without flaws. Jason, quad pop aside, was sublime.

This is my shocked face.

But seriously, come on. Even jump issues aside, I didn't think Hanyu was performing quite as well as he usually does. And yes, that many errors are going to affect some of the overall presentation, fairly so.

Reminds me of after the Grand Prix Final when some were mad Nathan won at all, when he won by over 40 points. Quibble with the size of the margin if you want, but in no way, shape, or form should Hanyu have won that competition.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I'm going tp get slammed for saying this, but after watching 4 continents, I want quads banned for women skaters.  I loved seeing all the other elements/jumps/spins/laybacks, and to see them get rewarded. 

I agree that the women’s competition at 4CC was more interesting, however I don’t think it was solely the lack of quads. I think it’s because the medal favorites all came from different training environments and had different skating styles and personalities that showed through more. I know I enjoyed an international championship where the top 3 didn’t come from the same rink producing the same cookie-cutter programs.

• Love 14

With both Kostornaia and Brown getting so close to 90 TES with their most difficult element being a triple axel, I wonder if it's time to change the GOE rewards. Brown even did it at 4CC with a double toe loop. It rewards skaters with good reputation more than anything else. Same goes for Hanyu and Chen, the rewards they get with mistakes they make are ludicrous. +5 seems to amplify reputation.

Edited by displayname
15 hours ago, redpencil said:

This is my shocked face.

But seriously, come on. Even jump issues aside, I didn't think Hanyu was performing quite as well as he usually does. And yes, that many errors are going to affect some of the overall presentation, fairly so.

Reminds me of after the Grand Prix Final when some were mad Nathan won at all, when he won by over 40 points. Quibble with the size of the margin if you want, but in no way, shape, or form should Hanyu have won that competition.

RIGHT? Twitter is a mess. The Fanyu's do not accept anything less than perfect scores, no matter how he performs, and if someone beats him...or the scores aren't perfection...calls to bombard the ISU with complaints. And any other skater would be criticized for repeating programs as much as he does, but for the Hanyu fanatics, it's a privilege that he's blessing us with his Greatest Hits. And the fucking Pooh Bears. Jesus Christ. Any skater that performs after him, and has to sit there and cool his jets while they clean a gazillion teddy bears off the ice, should be rightly pissed off. I actually DO feel sorry for him. How does he lead a normal life? It's freaking INSANE. Just the adjectives they use to describe him. Angel sent down from heaven, sublime, ethereal. I'll give you that he might be the "greatest ever," but do we need Fanyu scoregasms every time he competes?  

And I'll have a seat next to you on the anti-quad train for ladies skating, KittenPokerCheater. Bring the LADIES back to Ladies Skating. 

As far as H/D, I can't see them leaving Gadbois. Aside from the girlfriend/fiance also training there, part of the thing that annoyed me at first was their "WE train with Papadakis and Cizeron" bragging point. They were BFF's on Instagram. Lots of pics. It was a little clique. "Our team" this and "Our team" that.  I can see them sticking it out through the next Olympics, and just having salty attitudes if they think C/B have replaced them. If Maddie and Evan end up doing both ice dance components in the Olympic Team event, I fully expect H/D to act like they did toward the Shibs. MH was posting all sorts of buddy photos with MC when it was "us against them," when the Shibs were top dogs, but if she feels slighted again, I don't see that close friendship continuing. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 6

Whenever H/D are skating, I remind my surprised self that they're one of the USA teams. I never feel like they're fellow Americans. Sure hope it's C/B on the team (in the team event). DD & his partner can go practice on a private rink during that special team competition (again!)

Edited by annzeepark914
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Fanyus are all over Twitter complaining that Jason beat Yuzu on PCS. Sorry Fanyus, but Yuzu's program was not without flaws. Jason, quad pop aside, was sublime.

Quad aside, even Jason's jumps were better than Yuzu's.  Changing coaches is really starting to gel for him.

I'm kind of falling out of love with Yuzuru Hanyu. He was just not good.  And enough with the repeating programs already!  

Edited by Omeletsmom
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

As far as H/D, I can't see them leaving Gadbois. Aside from the girlfriend/fiance also training there, part of the thing that annoyed me at first was their "WE train with Papadakis and Cizeron" bragging point. They were BFF's on Instagram. Lots of pics. It was a little clique. "Our team" this and "Our team" that. 

I never understood why anybody thought that was odd.

They train together, that is a much more meaningful association for most skaters than the national affiliations in team events with people they only see once in a blue moon.  Look at any of the Gadbois skaters' Instagrams right now and you'll see lots of photos with their fellow Gadbois people of all nationalities, e.g., Marjo posted this from the gala, and nothing with the non-Gadbois Canadians.

10 hours ago, displayname said:

With both Kostornaia and Brown getting so close to 90 TES with their most difficult element being a triple axel, I wonder if it's time to change the GOE rewards. Brown even did it at 4CC with a double toe loop.

And he didn't get hardly any points for the 2T, so what?  He got to nearly 90 because all of his other elements were quality.  That's what we want to encourage.  Jason's scoring is, if anything, one of the best advertisements for the system working well.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, SeanC said:

And he didn't get hardly any points for the 2T, so what?  He got to nearly 90 because all of his other elements were quality.  That's what we want to encourage.  Jason's scoring is, if anything, one of the best advertisements for the system working well.

And I'm questioning if the scoring system is a good thing. I don't think so. It adds even more room for manipulation, and I definitely don't think Brown should be anywhere close on TES to someone who did 2 quads like Kagiyama did (and had good quality on nearly all other elements). And yet we have Brown with a double toe loop come close on tes. Nope. 

Are Han Yan's skating skills really worse than Brown's? Not for me, anyway.

By the way, for anyone thinking that the system "works" Kagiyama would already have scored more PCS and GOE and beaten Brown had he been participating in the senior GP this season and still delivered what he did here. Lol.

Edited by displayname

I think the time has come for the ISU to take action about the Poohs.  Either ban throwing anything on the ice altogether, or have Pooh time come after the competition is over and the medals have been awarded.  No more of this distracting delay for the next skater.

I really like Jason Brown's grown up look.  I wonder what his plans are for after he retires from skating?  I could see him as an actor--he could light up the Broadway stage.

• Love 10

Is there another sport that doesn’t eject fans from the premises for throwing things on the field of play during the competition?  I truly don’t get the mindset behind throwing stuffed animals at adults for a job well done.  Do the fans really think that the skaters are taking home all those things?

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Is there another sport that doesn’t eject fans from the premises for throwing things on the field of play during the competition?  I truly don’t get the mindset behind throwing stuffed animals at adults for a job well done.  Do the fans really think that the skaters are taking home all those things?

It's akin to the old theatrical tradition of thrown bouquets (and indeed, in the beginning it mostly was bouquets; the transition to stuffed animals and other such things is more recent).

It's well-known that most of them get donated to local charities.  Some particularly eye-catching or notable ones get kept (such as that gigantic bear that was thrown on-ice for Anna Shcherbakova last fall), but mostly it's just a raw demonstration of support for the skaters.

Some skaters have a particular identification with one stuffed animal (Evgenia and Sailor Moon's Luna, for instance).  Groups of Piper & Paul fans bring them flower crowns at many events, another example of a skater-specific custom.

• Love 1

Yuzuru needs to Increase his cardio workouts. He has looked majorly gassed at the end of the last 3 competitions (GP qualifying, GPF, 4C)I’ve seen him in. I get he is giving his all, and that his program is quite hard, with the extra quads and being artistic as well...but something in his training is not gelling. He didn’t use to look so fatigued right after in previous years. He could do his 4 bows to the audience at the end without needing a break right after the program, but that is no longer the case.

He needs go up on his cardio the way Adam did....so he can complete the program the way he wants without looking like he’s about to pass out right after. I almost want someone to throw him down some oxygen. His lips were cyanotic at 4C and it’s the first time I have seen that with him. Old age waits for no man. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, SeanC said:

It's akin to the old theatrical tradition of thrown bouquets (and indeed, in the beginning it mostly was bouquets; the transition to stuffed animals and other such things is more recent).

Way better to throw stuffed animals than bouquets. The latter would for sure be a pain in the butt to clean off the ice, and for sure you need to clean off every petal.

6 hours ago, Spiderella2 said:

Yuzuru needs to Increase his cardio workouts. He has looked majorly gassed at the end of the last 3 competitions (GP qualifying, GPF, 4C)I’ve seen him in. I get he is giving his all, and that his program is quite hard, with the extra quads and being artistic as well...but something in his training is not gelling. He didn’t use to look so fatigued right after in previous years. He could do his 4 bows to the audience at the end without needing a break right after the program, but that is no longer the case.

He needs go up on his cardio the way Adam did....so he can complete the program the way he wants without looking like he’s about to pass out right after. I almost want someone to throw him down some oxygen. His lips were cyanotic at 4C and it’s the first time I have seen that with him. Old age waits for no man. 

At Four Continents he seemed generally fine. He was obviously tired, but for the most part okay. In the past, I've seen him look absolutely exhausted after a LP. When he first burst on the scene he'd be so tired after completing his LP that he'd collapse on the ice. This was due to his asthma issues, but over time he got that under control.  That said, I agree, he did seem to lose steam at the end of his LP. Perhaps the 4Lutz is taking too much out of him? I do commend him for getting back on the horse with that jump after his horrible injury from it a couple of years ago. 

On 2/10/2020 at 5:10 PM, Omeletsmom said:

Quad aside, even Jason's jumps were better than Yuzu's.  Changing coaches is really starting to gel for him.

I'm kind of falling out of love with Yuzuru Hanyu. He was just not good.  And enough with the repeating programs already!  

I've been kind of out of the skating loop this season. Hence my question. What happened to Otonal and Tribute to Plushenko? Not that I'm complaining. Though the choreography was gorgeous for Otonal, the music did not suit Hanyu, and the Tribute to Plushenko program didn't suit him either.

Sadly, Hanyu does seem to be on the decline. I did think his SP at Four Continents was superb though. Ballade 1 is definitely his money program. I still enjoy him and will always believe him to be one of the greatest. However, I agree. He needs to stop recycling programs. He is so talented, and there's so much he can do with that talent. It's a shame that throughout his career he's only had a couple memorable programs. I'd really like to see him stretch himself creatively, skate to something different, but that suits his style. No more tributes to his skating idols please. LOL. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Not to mention Ashley Wagner and her Moulin Rouge LP. I actually liked both the music and the program at first - as time went on, not so much.

For some reason, this never bothered me. Maybe because Ashley wasn't just skating from one element to the next; she was telling a story, skating as the character (sort of like Sale/Pelletier making the theme from Love Story interesting so it wasn't annoying--to me-- when they used it again in '02). But I do recall groaning when Butryskia hauled out Otonal for another miserable year of listening to that wobbly recording.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

But I do recall groaning when Butryskia hauled out Otonal for another miserable year of listening to that wobbly recording.

Yes, it sounded like a bad vinyl record recorded on a boombox cassette player.

Who did "Seventeen Moments in Spring" over and over - years later I found out that it was a World War II miniseries - someone mentioned the miniseries on Twitter or Tumblr and I thought "wait a second, I know that name from somewhere!"

And of course, who can forget the timeless "Medley by Various Artists."

Edited by ML89
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Way better to throw stuffed animals than bouquets. The latter would for sure be a pain in the butt to clean off the ice, and for sure you need to clean off every petal.

If memory serves, they put rules in place that prohibited either bouquets or bouquets that weren't wrapped for that very reason.

10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I have a vague recollection of Tonya Harding refusing to take flowers from one of the little girls because of her allergies.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:48 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Has no one seen Ice Castles?

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
On 2/9/2020 at 6:08 PM, KittenPokerCheater said:

I'm going tp get slammed for saying this, but after watching 4 continents, I want quads banned for women skaters.  I loved seeing all the other elements/jumps/spins/laybacks, and to see them get rewarded. 

The main issue is judges don't care about anything but quads with the ladies and Eteri skaters who are over scored. No way should Trusova has eight and nine in PCS. Anna is not doing a 4Lz. She should be called on it. The Eteri skaters are overscored even Alena to the point it doesn't bother showing up. Even with falls and lack of skating skills they win. Europeans were a joke compared to 4CC. If scored correctly Trusova would not been third and Anna would be called on her jumps. Alena too. 

Skating skills and PCS doesn't matter anymore. Judges are rewarding half cheated not real quads. That's why 4CC in my opinion was better than Europeans. I'm going to be extremely upset if the Eteri skaters sweep worlds if they perform like they did at Europeans. Rika should podium. 

I believe women can do quads not little girls. Coaches should focus on the whole package not just jumps. 

• Love 6

ISU wants to change the rules again. SP three minutes long. LP three minutes long. Their issue is their judging. I still don't understand why machines don't judge technical elements and we have two panels for PCS and technical scores. Stop rewarding skaters with bad technique and bad skating skills/musicality 

10 hours ago, Darknight said:

If scored correctly Trusova would not been third and Anna would be called on her jumps. Alena too.

Even if you downscale Trusova's PCS by quite a few points, she would still have been third, which is more reflective of the weak European ladies' field than anything else.

53 minutes ago, healthnut said:

Phil Hersh article on proposed changes

I think the change is intriguing, but I don't believe it will really fix the problem. I don't know a lot about skating, but isn't the problem not just the overemphasis on technical elements, but the fact that technically proficient but artistically deficient skaters are getting high PCS in spite of the latter fact? I'm not sure how you would fix that.

What if skaters were just given a base score for each element of their TES without a GOE, and the overall GOE was combined with the PCS, or even one of the components considered for PCS? The judges could still limit the number of jumps a skater does while adding more elements that can boost the TES, like spirals.

1 hour ago, Domenicholas said:

What if skaters were just given a base score for each element of their TES without a GOE, and the overall GOE was combined with the PCS, or even one of the components considered for PCS?

I don't see how that would work, and disassociating GOE from the individual elements themselves would just allow judges to paper over any minor mistakes that favoured skaters did make.

• Love 2
On 2/15/2020 at 6:11 AM, Domenicholas said:

What if skaters were just given a base score for each element of their TES without a GOE, and the overall GOE was combined with the PCS, or even one of the components considered for PCS?

I agree with this. I'd rather have two layers of reputation (PCS and tech calls) than three (PCS, GOE, and tech calls).

• Love 1
On 2/13/2020 at 9:39 PM, Bewitched said:

Has no one seen Ice Castles?

I'll take "Movies that have not aged well," for $1000, Alex.

Sixteen year old figure skater/thirtysomething sportscaster. I'm thinking SafeSport would be all over that shit. now. 

Whatever happened to Robby Benson. He was one of the "it" heartthrobs of the 70's. Couldn't act for shit, but was kinda cute. His voice grated on my last nerve, though.

And was Annette Brashlout supposed to be based on Linda Fratianne? 🙂