Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

I'm gonna ramble a bit about my personal ice dance theory, sorry. 😁

IMO ice dance judges worship at the altar of skating skills. They have always done so. This is what is happening now with S/K. The Russian fed last season was all ready to promotoe S/B as number one, because they're good and consistent, because of his lineage, because of Tarasova's support. But the international judges clearly signalled in the GP that they rather see S/K as number one, so the Rus Fed was smart and got with the program.

IMO S/K are the closest now to P/C in skating skills. They may not be quite as good, but they are very, very good. Everyone who reports on seeing them live does so stressing how smooth, fast and powerful they are across the ice and how good their bladework is. They've also improved tremendously in the last few years, it's impressive. While S/B, at the same time, have the narrative of "Stepanova can't skate" dodging them. They've improved as well, but still aren't as steady in that aspect, which also makes them more vulnerable in level calls (see this Euros as well).

Judy Blumberg was the tech caller at Euros and she's ridiculously strict. S/K had very good levels, because they are capable of really executing difficult tech elements correctly. IMO their RDs in the last two years have also been stellar. The FDs play it safe because of Zhulin...they'd need to venture beyond him at some point to get more daring material there, I guess.

That said, I think P/C lost this thing all on their lonesome. S/K were just the pair closest who could profit. The RD isn't quite up to par as usual, the FD is not everyone's cup of tea and they made a mistake. Apparently there was discussion because the tech panel (coughBlumbergcough) wanted to call the whole element void because of the mistake and they might have perhaps even ended up outside the podium had that happened LOL.

I can just picture the panicked discussions with battle axe Blumberg and everyone begging her not to go through with it because they didn't want to lose their heads .😎 So yeah, they lost this here all on their own and would have won had they skated their best.

They'll also win in Montreal, lol how could they not. And C/B will also come in, they have the best mix of skating skills, athletics and programs to also be a real challenger IMO.

• Useful 2

I wish I had more thoughts on the pairs event last night, but outside of C/J it was so lackluster. Obviously they'll send the Ks to worlds, but I wonder if they'll give Jessica and Brian the second spot or maybe wait until after 4CC.

As for dance, it felt like a foregone conclusion but thank god C/B won! They have really come alive at Gadbois and I can't wait to hopefully see them on the podium at worlds. As for H/D, I have no sympathy for them losing their title. They've had two seasons of bad material now and seem to have no interest in listening to any constructive criticism against them.

It was nice to see H/B rebound from their rough GP season to retain their bronze medal. The fed seems to be pushing C/P hard and fast, and if I were H/B I'd be getting very nervous. Speaking of C/P, that was by far the best performance of the FD last night, and yet I'm still having trouble connecting to them. Probably because I can feel how hard they're being pushed which makes me chafe against it. Just let it happen organically.

And then there were the poor teams from Wheaton - Green/Parsons and M/C, both with falls. Caroline in particular looked devastated by it and I don't blame her. She's only 16 and making her senior debut...thankfully Michael seemed supportive. I believe G/P and M/C are the first senior teams to come out of Wheaton, and I think it's starting to show.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, katha said:

I'm gonna ramble a bit about my personal ice dance theory, sorry. 😁

IMO ice dance judges worship at the altar of skating skills. They have always done so. This is what is happening now with S/K. The Russian fed last season was all ready to promotoe S/B as number one, because they're good and consistent, because of his lineage, because of Tarasova's support. But the international judges clearly signalled in the GP that they rather see S/K as number one, so the Rus Fed was smart and got with the program.

IMO S/K are the closest now to P/C in skating skills. They may not be quite as good, but they are very, very good. Everyone who reports on seeing them live does so stressing how smooth, fast and powerful they are across the ice and how good their bladework is. They've also improved tremendously in the last few years, it's impressive. While S/B, at the same time, have the narrative of "Stepanova can't skate" dodging them. They've improved as well, but still aren't as steady in that aspect, which also makes them more vulnerable in level calls (see this Euros as well).

Judy Blumberg was the tech caller at Euros and she's ridiculously strict. S/K had very good levels, because they are capable of really executing difficult tech elements correctly. IMO their RDs in the last two years have also been stellar. The FDs play it safe because of Zhulin...they'd need to venture beyond him at some point to get more daring material there, I guess.

That said, I think P/C lost this thing all on their lonesome. S/K were just the pair closest who could profit. The RD isn't quite up to par as usual, the FD is not everyone's cup of tea and they made a mistake. Apparently there was discussion because the tech panel (coughBlumbergcough) wanted to call the whole element void because of the mistake and they might have perhaps even ended up outside the podium had that happened LOL.

I can just picture the panicked discussions with battle axe Blumberg and everyone begging her not to go through with it because they didn't want to lose their heads .😎 So yeah, they lost this here all on their own and would have won had they skated their best.

They'll also win in Montreal, lol how could they not. And C/B will also come in, they have the best mix of skating skills, athletics and programs to also be a real challenger IMO.

Hmm you would think so but if we were judging pure skating skills then Davis/White would never have gotten gold. I love Davis and White but Meryl by herself was not that strong of a skater. She didn't have the deep gliding edges that judges love so much. Whatever you think of Virtue/Moir and P/C they do have the deep gliding edges.

• Love 2

WTF NBC was supposed to air men's short and pairs free yesterday afternoon but the whole 2 hours was just the men's short. 

I'm confused about the GOE. How many bonus points up or down can they go? I thought it was up or down 5 points but Nathan got a 5 point something bonus for his quad flip right out of the gate.

Look, I get it, Jason Brown is a talented artistic skater. So you know what? He should have gone into ice dancing or pairs. If he had a partner half as talented he'd be unstoppable. The reality of today is that he's never going to be competitive as a singles skater.

6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm confused about the GOE. How many bonus points up or down can they go? I thought it was up or down 5 points but Nathan got a 5 point something bonus for his quad flip right out of the gate.

The raw GOE is +5 to -5. However this is scaled wrt the Base Value of the element. For a 4F, for instance, each +1 GOE rewards +10% additional base value. Since the base value of a 4F is 11.00, the maximum GOE +5 scales to an additional +5.5 points.

Edited by displayname
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Hmm you would think so but if we were judging pure skating skills then Davis/White would never have gotten gold. I love Davis and White but Meryl by herself was not that strong of a skater. She didn't have the deep gliding edges that judges love so much. Whatever you think of Virtue/Moir and P/C they do have the deep gliding edges.

Yeah, I got carried away with my sweeping statements. 😁

IMO there are trends and countermovements in ice dance. Sometimes there are other qualities that win out with the judges and the champions carry that trend forward. But even if you had Bestemianova/Bukin sweeping everything with their speed and drama, there was always criticism that Klimova/Ponomarenko were the better skaters. Or with the Duchesnays, winning stuff when their technique was probably barely top-ten-worthy. But they came in at a certain moment in time and ushered in modern dance aesthetic into the sport, so that was reflected in the judging. But the arguments against them winning were the same: They don't actually have the skating goods to medal.

D/W were very good skaters, probably not as good as V/M, but they ushered in a certain athleticism/COP-friendly program that became a trend during that time. Then P/C came in and floaty programs, deep edges became the new thing. In a funny way, sometimes this has been their undoing. I feel that V/M came back and the judges were actually more open to their outstanding technical abilities and skating skills. And when measuring P/C's competition, the logic is "how good are the edges, how clean are the elements, how effortless does it look".

At Euros, IMO P/C couldn't quite live up to their own standard. The FD performance in particular was ragged and had a mistake, so the judges are going to react to that.

Edited by katha
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Blue hues said:

Sad to see that Mariah isn’t going to Four CC.  Anyone know why that is?  

The gossips will say it’s because she doesn’t want to go to South Korea.

3 minutes ago, katha said:

At Euros, IMO P/C couldn't quite live up to their own standard. The FD performance in particular was ragged and had a mistake, so the judges are going to react to that.

I think it's true that they deserved to lose on TES. It's the PCS that makes me annoyed. It's entirely meaningless in ID, I know, and there's barely a difference, but there shouldn't be, and P/C should lead.

Why does Alysa get to compete at the senior level in the US but is clearly too young for international competition at the same level?  Seems like age should be standard.  A 13-14 year old shouldn’t be competing against 21 year olds.  She’ll hit a growth spurt before the Olympics and her skating will change just like Michele Kwan’s did.  I do wonder how much damage she’s doing to her feet with the quads.

After their skate last night while still on the ice Zach apologized to Maddie.  I wonder if he insisted on the program?   It’s mind boggling that they wouldn’t have been able to tweak it enough to get at least the scores they had last year.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, katha said:

Yeah, I got carried away with my sweeping statements. 😁

IMO there are trends and countermovements in ice dance. Sometimes there are other qualities that win out with the judges and the champions carry that trend forward. But even if you had Bestemianova/Bukin sweeping everything with their speed and drama, there was always criticism that Klimova/Ponomarenko were the better skaters. Or with the Duchesnays, winning stuff when their technique was probably barely top-ten-worthy. But they came in at a certain moment in time and ushered in modern dance aesthetic into the sport, so that was reflected in the judging. But the arguments against them winning were the same: They don't actually have the skating goods to medal.

D/W were very good skaters, probably not as good as V/M, but they ushered in a certain athleticism/COP-friendly program that became a trend during that time. Then P/C came in and floaty programs, deep edges became the new thing. In a funny way, sometimes this has been their undoing. I feel that V/M came back and the judges were actually more open to their outstanding technical abilities and skating skills. And when measuring P/C's competition, the logic is "how good are the edges, how clean are the elements, how effortless does it look".

I feel like the whole 2018 Oly's podium was a sort of "back to basics -- can they SKATE?" thing. P/C's infamous wardrobe malfunction notwithstanding, the podium of V/M, P/C, and the Shibsibs were the teams considered to have the best basic skating skills. 

With that being said re: S/K and P/C I saw both their FD's and I feel like P/C are like Dr. Frankenstein with monsters they can't control. If someone had told me that S/K's program was P/C's I would have believed them. Soft, floaty music, with the woman in a long chiffon floating dress and blond hair half-pulled back and half-flying. That with some showy V/M style lifts and that's basically S/K's free dance.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Why does Alysa get to compete at the senior level in the US but is clearly too young for international competition at the same level?  Seems like age should be standard.  A 13-14 year old shouldn’t be competing against 21 year olds.  She’ll hit a growth spurt before the Olympics and her skating will change just like Michele Kwan’s did.

Kwan was competing senior domestically when she was twelve, as an example.

Competing senior domestically is a good way to dip your toes into the waters of senior competition before hitting the international big leagues.  Most of the time, juniors (and especially people like Alysa who weren't even eligible to be international juniors) wouldn't be expected to actually contend for medals -- that tends to happen only when either the current senior field is really weak (see, e.g., if Kaiya Ruiter wins the Canadian title next year; she would have had she competed there this year; also Russian ladies in the late 00s and early 10s) or they represent a gigantic technical advance (as with Liu, or the Russian quadsters).

21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Three quarters of the way into Mariah's LP, I started to hear the audience. (It was so much like Kwan's LP's, when Michelle said she could no longer hear her music due to the audience noise). Then they were on their feet. I too wish she had won, but I'm glad she experienced this, esp after so many frustrating times at previous Nationals. I love watching her skate. Her style reminds me of Michelle, Alissa Czney, Sasha, Jennifer (Kirk??), and some others whose names I can't remember.

I keep watching it!

• Love 5

Very happy with the dance results. I agree that H/D’s program has improved, but IMO isn’t on the level of C/B even though the snake dance still makes me vaguely uncomfortable. I feel like both H/D and P/C started taking their top spots for granted and getting a bit too...I don’t want to say pretentious, but honestly I’m thinking pretentious...with their choices. H/D keeps choosing music with a prologue and spoken dialogue and I think everyone has caught on that their only chemistry and performance level is overdramatic romantic agony/clutching.

Regarding Zach’s on ice apology time Madison, apparently (according to Madison) they came out of their first spin in the wrong direction, which reversed the next four elements for them. I assume that was his goof, not hers, hence the apology.  

I still don’t like H/B’s free at all (and international judges seemed to widely agree), but this was the best I’ve seen them perform it. 

Amazing skate by Calalang and Johnson. Really beautiful pairs elements and skills. They have a lot of potential if they can skate cleanly. I am so done with Les Mis in general for skating programs—but if you’re going to choose it, why oh why would you pick the MOVIE version? 

Andrea Joyce is really embarrassing, you guys. 

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 5

Yay for Chock and Bates! I was so excited that they won. While the very petty part of me would have loved to have seen h/B's bitch faces when C/B's scores were announced, I was also happy to not have to see them after they performed.

While I was worried that C/B might get lost in the mix in Montreal, the change in coaches has made a huge difference in them. Gadbois has certainly done them a world of good both in terms of skating skills and in material. I've been impressed that they moved away from the face clutching, romantic programs they did with their previous coach (and that their current training mates P/C and certainly H/D tend to go with) and instead go with programs that have more personality. I loved their Elvis free dance last year, and this year's free dance has served them very well.

I'm befuddled by H/D's choices. How did anyone think that those programs were top-tier material? Do H/D select the programs/music, and no one stops them? The Marilyn Monroe number is a hot mess (I will never be able to get behind "My Heart Belongs to Daddy"), and even with the improvements, I find the A Star is Born free dance disjointed (I also don't care for the music).

I tried watching H/D's free as objectively as possible (difficult since I loathe their smug, entitled personalities so very much). They are fast skaters and can certainly fill the rink, but the attempts at "passion" come off as messy to me. While they might want to be the next V/M, they lack the chemistry, talent, and precision/discipline of that pair.

• Love 4

Will they show the long program for Nathan and Jason on youtube?  Unfortunately our NBC and I am sure this is a national thing-- they have gone to special report about Kobe Bryant right before Nathan's skate.  I get it, but I have a feeling they will skip right over it, and they are just talking and talking.  The national news comes on fairly soon, and this could be done then 😞  It just came back on and we just missed Jason Brown and Nathan Chen.  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Nathan had some pretty wonky landings on his jumps but still got +3 GOE scores on them for a total of 330 points. This judging is ridiculous. 

NBC News cut into their coverage of the men's free just as Chen took the ice and returned just as Jason Brown was leaving it for a press conference in which the sheriff in California talked about the helicopter crash that killed 9 people but declined to even suggest Kobe Bryant was among them.  Nice work, NBC!

I realize that Bryant's tragic death is a big story, but it seems to me that they could have predicted that the press conference wasn't going to add much to the story.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4
Just now, doodlebug said:

NBC News cut into their coverage of the men's free just as Chen took the ice and returned just as Jason Brown was leaving it for a press conference in which the sheriff in California talked about the helicopter crash that killed 9 people but declined to even suggest Kobe Bryant was among them.  Nice work, NBC!

That is what I just said and wondered if it will be on youtube later?  I am so bummed to miss the two skaters I was waiting for.

59 minutes ago, sab85 said:

Okay, whose highlighter leaked on Nathan Chen's shirt?

This is the perfect description of Nathan's shirt, which is an odd choice for an Elton John number. 

I’ve never felt particularly emotionally invested in Vincent Zhou as a skater before, but damn if his performance today didn’t hit me in the feels. I hope he is put on the 4CC team.

Nathan’s score was particularly ridiculous considering some of his jump landings, but there’s no question he is in a league of his own among the current crop of US men. Like Charlie and Tanith in their commentary, I continue to hate the costumes. But love everything else.

Jason’s 2nd place finish is well-deserved. Watching a performance like his today feels special. There aren’t a lot of skaters in the mens field who excel at the non-jumping aspects the way he can. I know he’ll never win a world medal at this point, but I’m so glad to get to watch him do what he does.

My heart broke a little for Andrew Torgashev after his free skate. He has so many great qualities. Next to Jason, he is one of my favorites to watch just move around the ice. I hope he can improve his consistency.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

NBC did show Nathan's long program at the end of the broadcast since they knew it was cut for the press conference.  No sign of Jason's though.

They have the short programs available on youtube, so hopefully Jason's long will be posted soon/later today.  I am still bummed they did that though--such bad timing considering there was no new news, and that national news comes on fairly soon.  It really made no sense.  

• Love 1

I taped the Philly station. We got 90 minutes of coverage at Kobe’s old night school, interviews with people whose father played hs bb with him, shots of flowers, a jersey and basketball outside a gym, and shots of people taking cell photos outside the gym. No top 6 men at all. It’s a tragedy and my heart breaks for his family. None of that coverage was breaking news. 

• Love 2

Well I'm happy Jason Brown had the skate he did. Many skaters who struggle with consistency often just give up on the troublesome jumps. It was great to see Jason fight for the quad toe and land a triple axel. It's probably not good enough to beat Chen or Hanyu ever but every skater has different goals. 

Nathan Chen's style of skating reminds me so much of Plushenko. Not exactly his jumping content, but his presentation and style.

• Love 2

Nathan’s landings were off on half of his jumps. The fact that he saved them is a testament to how good he is. That said, I hate to see how overscored he gets after performances like these. It’s crazy, he’s going to win anyway in this field. It just gives the haters more to yell about. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Nathan’s landings were off on half of his jumps. The fact that he saved them is a testament to how good he is. That said, I hate to see how overscored he gets after performances like these. It’s crazy, he’s going to win anyway in this field. It just gives the haters more to yell about. 

Yeah. I’m really not sure he deserved the GOE he got on all his wonky landings. He still would have easily won without those points, so I don’t understand why they feel the need to inflate his score. 

• Love 4

U.S. Figure Skating Announces Men’s, Pairs and Ice Dance Selections for World, Four Continents

Worlds:
Nathan
Jason 
Vincent

Tomoki (1st alt)
Andrew (2nd alt)
Camden (3rd alt)

Ashley & Tim
Alexa & Chris

Jessica & Brian (1st alt)
Tarah & Danny (2nd alt)
Haven & Brandon (3rd alt)

Madison & Evan
Madison & Zach
Kaitlin & Jean-Luc

Christina & Anthony (1st alt)
Caroline & Michael (2nd alt)
Lorraine & Quinn (3rd alt)

4CC:
Jason 
Tomoki
Camden

Alex (1st alt)

Alexa & Chris
Jessica & Brian
Tarah & Danny

Haven & Brandon (1st alt)
Audrey & Misha (2nd alt)
Olivia & Mervin (3rd alt)

Madison & Evan
Madison & Zach
Kaitlin & Jean-Luc

Christina & Anthony (1st alt)
Caroline & Michael (2nd alt)
Lorraine & Quinn (3rd alt)

• Love 2

It sucks for Tomoki and Jessica and Brian to have medaled but then be alternates for the world team. I’m sure it’s down to having somewhat disappointing results on the Grand Prix this season and competing against skaters with better established/ competitive international reputations. 

I would love someone’s informed take on these selections.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JayCeeJ said:

U.S. Figure Skating tweeted links to both Nathan's and Jason's programs, in case anyone is still having trouble. Still can't believe NBC cut them from the live feed.

Even though I have finally seen both programs, it is just really odd that they did that.  It impacted the skaters and the competition along with the viewers.  When the news came on they repeated almost everything they had done on the special report...all just 45 minutes later.  I guess they don’t really know it isn’t breaking news if everyone already knows about it. 

In the end, part of the fun of watching it live is seeing it happen and feeling a part of it.  They just really ruined a good competition.  

• Love 4

USFS has a whole selection criteria, and Nationals is only part of it. Remember, it was a whole big thing back in 2018 over the Olympic selections (when Adam and Vincent were chosen over Ross Minor).

In any case, while I feel badly for Tomoki, I think Vincent is the correct choice. Their scores weren't that far apart, and Vincent clearly is still ramping up his technical content. With one more quad he probably would have beat Tomoki. If Vincent performed that well after only a month of training, I'm sure he can be back to form by Worlds (he's not returning to school this semester). He also has generally been very consistent, which Tomoki has not been. Not to mention, he IS the reigning World bronze medalist.

• Love 3

To be fair they didn’t know what would be said in the press conference. This story today was huge, and I’m sure they were kicking themselves that the press conference was delayed to the point that it aligned with the two star skaters, but there was no way they were going to skip coverage of what will be the biggest story of the week for afternoon figure skating. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, alexa said:

Even though I have finally seen both programs, it is just really odd that they did that.  It impacted the skaters and the competition along with the viewers.  When the news came on they repeated almost everything they had done on the special report...all just 45 minutes later.  I guess they don’t really know it isn’t breaking news if everyone already knows about it. 

In the end, part of the fun of watching it live is seeing it happen and feeling a part of it.  They just really ruined a good competition.  

It's unfortunate for sure, but I don't see how it impacts the skaters? I think they're in a tough spot. They don't know what the press conference is going to say ahead of time. This is a HUGE story, not just in the U.S. but world wide. I don't blame them, and they DID try to warn people. Unfortunate timing, but I don't necessarily think the wrong decision from the bigger picture.

And I say this as someone who missed both Nathan and Jason because I was watching on delay and by the time I heard them say they would be switching to NBCSN at some point, it was too late for me to start recording there. Luckily I did see Nathan when they re-aired it later.

ETA: Basically what absnow54 said.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 1

I'm sorry to have missed seeing Jason's performance on my TV rather than my computer. Wish that NBC would have shown his after the press conference since they did Nathan's. I've seen Jason's program before but I think this was the best performance of it yet. Truly sublime.

There's no commentary - just a beautiful performance (especially in full screen).

Edited by justmehere
link already provided above
  • Love 3