Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, Jeddah said:

She medaled in both her Grand Prix events, and qualified for the Final. People said this about her last year, and she won the World Championship. I think it’s a bit premature to act like her career is over. She’s won everything there is to win. If she was miserable and didn’t want to skate, she wouldn’t be skating.

She isn't the same skater she was two seasons ago. Her technique has so many flaws and is more noticable. I wish her team would fix her tech and skating skills. And I'm sorry to say this but Alina is over scored especially in PCS. I believe her PCS scores were the highest in the SP and FP I'm not sure. How does she have higher PCS than Alena or Rika is quite interesting. Most likely Eteri has her new focus on her new senior skaters. 

2 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Well Virtue/Moir have apparently skated their last skate together:

Let's hope they will be back. . I just can't get into the new number ones in ice dancing. 

Edited by Darknight

Apparently, Russian federation is complaining about Rika's Lz and how it's not called because she has edge issues. Since when did Rika had edge issues? I'm confused.  Yagudin bashed Jason for not having quads and for not skating like a man. I have no clue what skating like a man means or looks like. I truly don't understand what is wrong with him and Russian fed. What did Jason and Rika do? I think it's amazing Jason can skate without a quad and podium and be competitive. 

Rika skated beautifully! 🥰😍

All my flapping around was for nothing, she practically floats on ice. 

I have high hopes for Rika. Although I think Beijing will be won by a 15 yr old (usually always the case) I think Rika could do really well given the slow and steady way her team takes things. 

Rika and Bradie at GPF!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!

The other girls are exciting too but I'm tickled that my two favorites are in given that I thought Bradie was a looooooong shot even though she thoroughly deserves it! 

5 minutes ago, Darknight said:

Apparently, Russian federation is complaining about Rika's Lz and how it's not called because she has edge issues. Since when did Rika had edge issues? I'm confused.  Yagudin bashed Jason for not having quads and for not skating like a man. I have no clue what skating like a man means or looks like. I truly don't understand what is wrong with him and Russian fed. What did Jason and Rika do? I think it's amazing Jason can skate without a quad and podium and be competitive. 

Rika is one of the rare few with a correct edge. She hurt her foot and cannot jump a Lutz right now because it hurts. Rusfed is insane.

If it's going to be the wild west I really wish there Japanese Fed would also have a meltdown. As it stands looks like Rika will have to fend for herself by skating perfectly.

I just want her to medal at GPF. I'm assuming Trusova is going to try 4 quads and still win if she falls twice. In this instance a silver or bronze is a great achievement. 

Just now, Mellowyellow said:

I just want her to medal at GPF. I'm assuming Trusova is going to try 4 quads and still win if she falls twice. 

Trusova is not unbeatable.  She lost multiple times last season.  It depends a lot on what she falls on, of course.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Darknight said:

Yagudin bashed Jason for not having quads and for not skating like a man. I have no clue what skating like a man means or looks like. I truly don't understand what is wrong with him and Russian fed. What did Jason and Rika do? I think it's amazing Jason can skate without a quad and podium and be competitive. 

Russia has a hella homophobic culture in a lot of ways so my first inclination is to hear it as that kind of slur against Jason. 

• Love 3

I don't want V/M back, but at least there was a real rivalry with P/C when they made their come back, instead of the manufactured France vs Russia one currently. Did anyone post here about the possible Shibs come back? Not sure I want to see that either.

11 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

She's got a triple axel too apparently 😱

Not really.

• Love 2

I was sad to see the Shibs retire and had hoped they would return. But the more time passes, the more I think it's better that they don't. They're certainly not going to beat P/C, and I can't see them surpassing the Russians either, so they'd just be in the exact same bronze position they were in 2018.

Plus, if they did come back and made the Olympic team, that would mean we'd be sending the exact same three couples we sent to Pyeongchang. I'd like to see at least one new team make it to 2022. I'm assuming it will either be H/B or C/P (if her citizenship is sorted).

• Love 1

Heh, the ignominious descent of the US Stars on Ice tour has pretty much reached bottom, as it's now been "combined" with the Canadian tour.  It has fourteen cities, only two of which are in the USA, both in California.

As for the cast, so far it's basically the Canadian Stars on Ice cast (Chan, Osmond, Stojko, Browning, Weaver & Poje) plus Davis & White, who there was room for since Virtue & Moir are retired.  With some American skaters like Nathan guesting for the tail-end American shows.

• LOL 1

While watching the dance event on the Olympic Channel earlier this week, I have to agree with Charlie White about the "spoken word" free dance of P/C. I really hate it. Not the actual skating. It's beautiful, but the spoken word is distracting, like Charlie said. He loved the skating, but said that the spoken word takes from your enjoyment of P/C's performance, because you're trying too hard to understand the words. I think he pretty much nailed it for me, 

It's also pretentious as hell. "We're so good, that we don't need no stinking music..."

Yeah, you're basically a lock for every gold medal now that a certain other couple has officially retired. We get it. 

• Love 6
On 11/24/2019 at 1:12 PM, TwoBitUsherette said:

I was sad to see the Shibs retire and had hoped they would return. But the more time passes, the more I think it's better that they don't. They're certainly not going to beat P/C, and I can't see them surpassing the Russians either, so they'd just be in the exact same bronze position they were in 2018.

I actually think bronze medal position is a long shot. After an extended absence from the sport, I think it would take something truly spectacular to push them past H/D and possibly even C/B. This isn’t Tessa and Scott we’re talking about. Even before their break from figure skating, they were clinging to their top National position by their fingertips. I think the momentum now is definitely with Zach and Madison. The only wild card is their scoring this year, but I don’t think the US fed will dethrone them over it. 

6 hours ago, Jillibean said:

I think the momentum now is definitely with Zach and Madison. The only wild card is their scoring this year, but I don’t think the US fed will dethrone them over it. 

If Chock & Bates beat them at Grand Prix Final, I absolutely think they will be dethroned. I expect the the US judges to go with the team they think has the best chance to medal at Worlds. That being said, I expect H/D to come with a retooled free dance and win the bronze but I’ll be cheering hard for C/B.

• Love 4

The thing about the spoken word piece though is that it's not something new. It's P/C's usual style over spoken word. I wish they'd really step out of the box with a number that was more uptempo, that pushed them with quicker footwork instead of the long deep edges that have become their trademark.

I think they're a beautiful team and I'm always happy to see them dance but this looks like they just superimposed their greatest hits from other free dances into a spoken word piece.

• Love 6

The coverage on NBCSN this weekend isn't live right? They've only got Men's and Ladies short/free listed and I mostly care about Ice Dance. Is there somewhere online I can watch it live? If not I'll have to wait until Wednesday for it to air on the Olympics channel.

Eteri’s daughter, Diana Davis, is also competing in the GP final in junior ice dance.

2 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

The coverage on NBCSN this weekend isn't live right? They've only got Men's and Ladies short/free listed and I mostly care about Ice Dance. Is there somewhere online I can watch it live? If not I'll have to wait until Wednesday for it to air on the Olympics channel.

Here is some info:

https://soyouwanttowatchfs.com/post/189460183285/2019-junior-senior-grand-prix-final-cs-golden

• Love 1
On 11/24/2019 at 10:49 AM, selkie said:

Russia has a hella homophobic culture in a lot of ways so my first inclination is to hear it as that kind of slur against Jason. 

We don't know about Jason's sexuality. It's truly disgusting what I heard from Alexei. I liked his Olympic program too. I don't understand what Jason has ever done to him. Saying he skates like a girl and Trusova should take his place in men's is rude. Just because Jason doesn't have a quad doesn't mean he's not good. Alexei lost my respect. Jason is competitive with triples and that's impressive. I also hate how Alexei said girls and men need more quads so they can't skate like Jason. I truly don't understand what's wrong with this man. 

Then bashing Rika and her lack of edge issues. Some of the Russians right now I'm disappointed in. 

• Love 6

Hanyu vs Chen showdown. 

Alysa vs Kamilla

The Russians vs Rika 

S/H are in a league of their own in my opinion 

P/C I think are the favorites right now In my opinion. I just can't get into them for some reason. 

This is a wild Grand Prix Final. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

ISU streams them live on YouTube, get a free VPN app and change location from US to Canada. 

Alysa's going to pull a Trusova but with more charm and actual performance ability. I love watching the Russian meltdown about her 😂

It is hilarious to watch them excuse Trusova's skating and then have a blooming fit about Alysa's PCS. Heee

She was soooooo cute, practically skipping with joy and singing along to her music out there! 😍😍😍

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 6

Nathan killed it. Hanyu was so close to skating clean but stepped out of his quad toe and didn’t get the combo in, cost him about 12 points. Would’ve been neck and neck otherwise. Kevin Amoyz skated the short program of his life and everyone else made mistakes. 

The pairs was short program was really good. Sui & Han are in first despite a touch down on their throw triple loop. Everything else was flawless. Boikova & Kozlovskii missed a level on their throw triple twist otherwise they would’ve been in first. Looking forward to ladies and ice dance tomorrow!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Alysa Liu in first place after the junior ladies short. Ahead of the parade of Russian jumping beans. Huh. 

Eteri must be doing a slow burn right about now. 

I heard Kamilla broke her leg from doing quads. Poor kid. I like her SP program but it wasn't her best. 

S/H are beautiful. I can watch them all day and I don't usually watch pairs. 

Hanyu vs Chen. Clearly Chen was better today and if Hanyu wants to win Chen has to mess up a lot. I'm actually really in awe of Nathan and Hanyu. It's not easy being a full time student at Yale nor is it easy coming back from injuries. I hope both stay healthy. 

As for juniors. I'm sorry, you can clearly tell Liu lacks speed and the basics when you see the other skaters. She had a few UR's too but I don't believe tech called any skaters technique. So much for having a technical ppanel. I don't like her Lz at all.  I hope she stays healthy. Again, people need to stop bashing Liu for beating the Russians and stop bashing the Russian juniors for being weak. Kamilla broke her leg doing quads and is starting to get back to skating. Poor girl. 

Trusova doesn't need five quads. I don't care if she wants them or not. Eteri actually needs to put her skaters health first. She doesn't even need 5 quads to win at this point. I don't know any 15 year old senior man performing 5 quads. Not even Hanyu and Chen are doing five quads Work on her skating skills and basics. I'm actually surprised Alena has a close score with Trusova. That goes to show you what the skater needs to work on. 4 quads and a score or 241 and a skater with good skating skills and two 3a getting a 240. That says a lot. 

And what is Nathan wearing? I need a word with Vera Wang please. 

7 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Alysa's going to pull a Trusova but with more charm and actual performance ability. I love watching the Russian meltdown about her 😂

It is hilarious to watch them excuse Trusova's skating and then have a blooming fit about Alysa's PCS. Heee

She was soooooo cute, practically skipping with joy and singing along to her music out there! 😍😍😍

Yes, I'm actually surprised by that. Alysa had UR's but the Eteri skaters aren't called for this technique either. So why complain? Alysa has 4Lz and 3A that's all that matters at this point. It's similar to Russian fed complaining their skaters are finally being called. 

• Love 2

I haven't read anything to verify that Kamila's leg injury was from doing quads.

Interestingly I did a bit of reading on Bradie and she's been in a back brace twice for long periods each time when she was younger. Figure Skating is brutal with or without quads.

• Love 2

A little bummed that Chock and Bates are in the first group, while Hubble and Donohue skate last. I hope that doesn't ruin C/B's chances. I'm really pulling for that upset. I think their free dance can beat H/D, but if they're too far behind after the rhythm dance, it won't matter. Just like what happened in China when they won the free dance but lost to S/K by a point. 

I'm seeing a lot of rage over Hanyu's score and screams of him being subject to unfair judging.

What's up with that? Nathan was clean and delivered a delightful hip hop sequence. Hanyu popped two jumps and looked really lethargic. I feel bad for him but on no planet was he judged unfairly.

He ran out of steam! It was obvious when to my none FS watching husband.

• Love 8

I can agree with those that say that Nathan’s scores were a bit high. But I don’t get this outrage over Hanyu’s. I like to follow along with Figure Skating Twitter but sometimes it’s so ugly. I feel bad for Nathan.

• Love 3

Nathan was INCREDIBLE today and Hanyu definitely ran out of steam, he looked exhausted the last 60-90 seconds of his program and his choreography had no life. He’s not conditioned to do that many quads but he did a beautiful quad loop and quad lutz to start his program. 

ETA: Nikita & Victoria got hammered on levels and ended up sixth. Chock & Bates beat Hubbell & Donahue decisively. I suppose H/D did some things to their free but it’s still boring to me, least favorite of the free dance for me. 

Edited by healthnut
  • Love 4

Nikita & Victoria got hammered on levels

Actually, the big issue for them was that they put a hand down on the choreographic sliding move, and the rules say that is automatically to be counted as a fall.  So they lost like four points right there.  (I didn't know this until I read it on a figure skating board five minutes ago!)

It sucks that, for a certain segment of Hanyu fans, it seems as though any success Nathan Chen has in competition with Hanyu is somehow a threat to Hanyu’s GOAT status. Like, no. One skater’s success doesn’t negate another’s legacy. Who knows, maybe one day Nathan will also be labeled a legend in the sport. Hanyu just wasn’t in peak form for this particular event. I feel lucky, as a fan and viewer, that we get to see these athletes perform at such a high level relatively consistently, and during the same period of time! How cool!

I can’t complain about the dance result. Papadakis and Cizeron are untouchable. Chock and Bates have really dialed in on what works for them with this year’s free dance, and I am Here For It! Hubbell and Donohue have superior skating skills and speed, in comparison, but their free dance this year doesn’t showcase their strengths as effectively as Chock and Bates’ does.

The result of the senior women’s competition was only surprising in that Alina Zagitova finished in 6th. I thought for sure that she would get more world champion bonus points in the PCS scores than she did. Props to Bradie for handling the pressure as well as she did, though it’s too bad she couldn’t top what she did at Skate America earlier this season. As far as the medal winners, I am not mad at those placements. If all of the medalists must come from the same rink and coaching team using choreography that often has no relationship to what the music would dictate, at least the winner was one who can actually skate with the music when she’s given half a chance. Kostornaia’s free skate music selections still make no sense, but at least she can interpret the music better than her training mates.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Actually, the big issue for them was that they put a hand down on the choreographic sliding move, and the rules say that is automatically to be counted as a fall.  So they lost like four points right there.  (I didn't know this until I read it on a figure skating board five minutes ago!)

This is true but they did lose levels on a at least one lift and step sequence, their tech BV was 43.59 whereas P/C, C/B, and G/P all had BV of 45.84, that’s another two points. 

It's so obvious P/C are the new judges it couple. 

I caught junior men and Sato caught my eye. I don't even watch juniors that much but I can see him improve and podium as a senior. 

What in the world happen to Alina? She was third. I didn't watch but saw she came 6th place. Alena came first and Trusova third? Didn't she have five quads and a 3a? Not sure. I wish they would work on her skating skills.

Chen won fair and square but I do think he was a bit overscored. His costumes are interesting too. I wish people would bash Nathan for winning. Blame the judges. Not him. 

56 minutes ago, Darknight said:

What in the world happen to Alina? She was third. I didn't watch but saw she came 6th place. Alena came first and Trusova third? Didn't she have five quads and a 3a? Not sure. I wish they would work on her skating skills.

Alina had a very rough free skate. She had one outright fall and a couple of stumbles on other jumps, and every one of her triple jumps was (rightly) called under. At least one of them was downgraded too.

Trusova and Shcherbavoka both fell once and had a quad jump called under in their free skates. But Trusova also popped what I assume was a planned quad salchow into a double, her PCS score was the lowest, and she got lower GOE on her non-jump elements in comparison to her fellow medalists. Honestly, I’m a little surprised her PCS scores are as high as they are.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, specialj67 said:

The result of the senior women’s competition was only surprising in that Alina Zagitova finished in 6th. I thought for sure that she would get more world champion bonus points in the PCS scores than she did.

Even if they had given Zagitova the same PCS she had at the Olympics she would have finished behind Bradie here (albeit by a hair), due to how bad her technical score was.

I caught the Sunday recap show on NBCSN.  Nathan's program still isn't my favorite but there is more personality than I usually see from him in a competition program.  With the ladies, the correct skater won, but I think I enjoyed Anna's program more.  She had more lyricism and maturity to her skating than I was expecting (this was my first time seeing these young Russians).  Bradie's skating is more mature than it was at the Olympics but it still wouldn't be a stretch for her to go full Disney Princess.