Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Jeddah said:

That’s horrible. Seeing how many supporters he had, this is very brave of her. I really hope other skaters support her.

It is truly heartbreaking.  I mean, she was not even safe just crashing after a party.  It took a lot for her to come forward and tell this story, especially since Coughlin is gone and his family has portrayed Safesport as the bad actor in the whole situation.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, Jeddah said:

That’s horrible. Seeing how many supporters he had, this is very brave of her. I really hope other skaters support her.

Agreed. Considering some of the comments I’ve seen online with people accusing the usual - that she is lying and seeking attention etc., I hope she has a very strong support system.  I have no doubt she will receive a lot of venom over this from folks inside and outside of the skating community. 

• Love 10
13 hours ago, carrier76 said:

I always wondered if something had happened with him, or if she knew something. After he died, she was completely silent about it, while a lot of other skaters were making statements. 

I wish there were an emoticon showing an angry face (the sad face just isn't enough when it comes to sexual assault).  Maybe more young women will be brave enough to say something after seeing Ashley, a national champion and world medalist, speak up about Coughlin. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wish there were an emoticon showing an angry face (the sad face just isn't enough when it comes to sexual assault).  Maybe more young women will be brave enough to say something after seeing Ashley, a national champion and world medalist, speak up about Coughlin. 

It’s starting. 

https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1157096039993794561

https://twitter.com/OfficialJadaKai/status/1157041439877939200

• Love 2
6 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Scott Moir announced his engagement. The VM Stans are in mourning.

I saw this news and ran over here! How is the secret baby blogger doing? Has anyone checked on her? And has anyone checked on Scott and Tessa's brood in the basement?

• LOL 5
5 hours ago, Minneapple said:

I saw this news and ran over here! How is the secret baby blogger doing? Has anyone checked on her? And has anyone checked on Scott and Tessa's brood in the basement?

The dubemoir blogger's latest entry has some "comments" to the effect of "what about the children?" 

And while I'm happy for Scott anyone find the engagement kind of ... sudden? I feel like last year around this time Scott and Tessa were still doing their post-Olympic "we can't define our relationship" media blitz. Then Scott's magically hooked up with his first skating partner and voila! he's engaged. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

The dubemoir blogger's latest entry has some "comments" to the effect of "what about the children?" 

And while I'm happy for Scott anyone find the engagement kind of ... sudden? I feel like last year around this time Scott and Tessa were still doing their post-Olympic "we can't define our relationship" media blitz. Then Scott's magically hooked up with his first skating partner and voila! he's engaged. 

I found it strange that this was all big news, even the existence of their dating was big news. Weren't these sweethearts seen out and about while dating?  Oh well, I've always found Scott to be strange so maybe this shouldn't surprise me at all.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I found it strange that this was all big news, even the existence of their dating was big news. Weren't these sweethearts seen out and about while dating?  Oh well, I've always found Scott to be strange so maybe this shouldn't surprise me at all.

I actually find both Scott and Tessa strange. Tessa’s instagram is so curated so that it always looks like a Vogue magazine spread. Occasionally she will post a “hot” photo of her and Scott. I like following many figure skaters’ instagrams to see how they are off the ice. But with Tessa there doesn’t seem to be an “off the ice” Tessa if that makes sense. She comes across as a control freak. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

There are probably photos but shippers will see what shippers want to see.

I am part of another fandom that has a faction which ships two particular people in real life despite one party being married. OMG the theories are WILD!!! Perfectly normal husband and wife photo will be dissected as the fellow snarling at his wife! 

I will admit I smile when I see footage of Alina hanging out with Nathan and Co but no I do not believe that they have produced a skating baby who is currently being raised in Eteri's basement and that was why Alina had such a rough time Nationals and Europeans! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

There are probably photos but shippers will see what shippers want to see.

I am part of another fandom that has a faction which ships two particular people in real life despite one party being married. OMG the theories are WILD!!! Perfectly normal husband and wife photo will be dissected as the fellow snarling at his wife! 

I will admit I smile when I see footage of Alina hanging out with Nathan and Co but no I do not believe that they have produced a skating baby who is currently being raised in Eteri's basement and that was why Alina had such a rough time Nationals and Europeans! 

Omg. Memories, memories, memories of the Sergei widows. For those who weren't around, a bit of history: after Sergei Grinkov's death a few fans went ... well, they went off the rails. They especially went off the rails when Katia married Ilia Kulik. For them, that meant she had betrayed her husband and could no longer be reunited with Sergei in heaven. So they took to calling themselves his "spiritual wives" because they would ... wait to be reunited with him? Every picture of Katia and Ilia was dissected to show that Ilia was abusive, Katia didn't love him, and on and on. A great figure skating website I used to frequent had to be shut down altogether because the widows hijacked every thread.

There was one woman named Donna whose father died in a manner very similar to Sergei (sudden heart attack). She devoted her life to his memory. When Sergei passed away she went totally off the chain and had this blog where she said she threw up and locked herself in the room crying bc of Katia's betrayal. She then had a blog post complaining that her husband told her that he didn't read her "crazy" blog. Ah, good times.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

• LOL 6
39 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good grief.  Do other sports have such sick puppies as fan(atic)s?  This is pathetic.

Duh.  I just figured out where the term shippers comes from--worshippers, right? Took me a while 🙄

No, it comes from X-Files fandom. The Mulder/Scully partisans called themselves “relationshippers” and it got shortened to shippers. 

The Sergei folks, well, there were the Snape wives married to him on the astral plane, so all fandoms are the same....

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ML89 said:

No, it comes from X-Files fandom. The Mulder/Scully partisans called themselves “relationshippers” and it got shortened to shippers. 

The Sergei folks, well, there were the Snape wives married to him on the astral plane, so all fandoms are the same....

I don't find the fanfic shippers as creepy as the real life skater shippers. Because, you know, fictional characters will inspire fanfic. And if it gets a bit creepy ... you know, active imagination and that sort of thing.

But Katia, Ilia, Sergei, Tessa, Scott, Scott's fiance -- they're actual people. I'm sure Tessa and Scott can laugh off the baby blog but with Katia I would imagine her feelings must have been real raw following Sergei's death, and to have these Sergei widows accosting her at the rink with Sergei angel figurines ... 

OT but by far the nuttiest 'shipping is this woman who got banned by all the royal family accounts because she's convinced she and Harry are married and Meghan "stole" Harry from her and every day her feed is a stream of "updates".

Behold "elleroseking". Harry doesn't know it, but he's secretly married to her.

https://www.instagram.com/elleroseking/

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/10/2019 at 5:33 PM, Growsonwalls said:

I don't find the fanfic shippers as creepy as the real life skater shippers. Because, you know, fictional characters will inspire fanfic. And if it gets a bit creepy ... you know, active imagination and that sort of thing.

Real life shippers come from all fandoms, not just skating. In the early days of Grey's Anatomy there were people who were absolutely convinced that Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey were in love. Hell, there are people who are convinced that Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles from Supernatural are in a secret relationship and that their wives are beards and their children are there for show. The network is in a giant conspiracy to keep them in the closet. 

• LOL 2
On 8/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, Chaser said:

The meltdown on Twitter is hilarious.

Them: So much betrayal! Poor Tessa! 

Me: 🥳

I jumped down that Twitter rabbit hole and read the comments. Yikes. Yeah, the engagement seems rather sudden (her name is Jackie, I believe), but the comments...WOW.  From the predictable "he's traded down," meaning "not as hot as Tessa," to "she's been photographed in a MAGA hat!" So, the girl definitely has a fan hate target on her back. 

And I agree with the above assessment of Tessa's Instagram. It's not really candid. Or personal. It reads like it's run by her PR rep. Mostly glamour shots and product endorsement. 

I keep reading about a Supertramp number that Tessa and Scott did. I was a HUGE Supertramp fan in high school. What song did they do? Yeah, I guess I could Google it, but....whatever. LOL

Shippers are hilarious, but some to the point of crazypants. Look at the Gaga/Bradley shit after the Oscars. I follow an Adam Driver Instagram, mainly because he grew up around here and attended a local high school (and makes fun of redneck Mishawaka, which is hilarious and TRUE).  But there are a faction of fans (especially those that ship him with Daisy Ridley) who are sure that he and his wife are headed for divorce and that their toddler son isn't his. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

Re: chemistry haven’t they seen this video of Joey explaining how performance chemistry works? 

But as for Scott and Tessa, something about their chemistry seems so “performance” that I can believe it was just that — a performance. If you watch their videos from juniors onwards you’ll see the same things — the deep staring into each others’ eyes, Scott singing to Tessa mid-skate, and over time, the O faces timed to a dramatic moment in the music. Something about it is so prepared that I can’t imagine them as a real couple doing Netflix and chill. 

• Love 1

The funny thing is, if you're interested in rooting for skating couples, there are tons of dance (and pairs) teams who actually are together.  I believe three of the top five dance teams at last Canadian nationals are together, as are two of the top three at last US nationals (and the third were a couple in the past, but are now each dating one half of another dance team).

Unrelatedly, this has quickly become my favourite junior RD so far this year:

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2019 at 1:29 AM, SeanC said:

The funny thing is, if you're interested in rooting for skating couples, there are tons of dance (and pairs) teams who actually are together.  I believe three of the top five dance teams at last Canadian nationals are together, as are two of the top three at last US nationals (and the third were a couple in the past, but are now each dating one half of another dance team).

Unrelatedly, this has quickly become my favourite junior RD so far this year:

Beautiful video! So elegant!  Thank you for sharing. Completely agree with the whole couples thing, I believe it helps to be a couple because you have a trust with your partner that nobody else would understand!

3 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Lipinski/Eldridge may not want to talk about it, but I bet they are going to be asked. 

It would be so great if these two could each say something genuine, whatever their current feelings are about RC.  I know they risk being slaughtered on social media by saying anything, but it would still be good to hear from them.

Personally I don’t need to hear from Lipinski and Eldridge on this. 

I’m sure they have thoughts and feelings about what’s happened which hopefully, if addressed, will be done privately, within their inner circles. 

Being as both were coached by him and had successful amateur careers, Tara specifically, under his tenure, their feelings about this situation and towards him will probably be difficult to unpack.

We as the public don’t always need a celebrity to comment on a situation, even if they were close to it. Sometimes silence is golden. 

• Love 11

JGP France

- If you had asked me beforehand to guess who would win Canada's only medal of the event, Aleksa Rakic would have ranked fourth of the five possible contenders, so that just goes to show how unpredictable things can be.  In general, I get the sense that the feds largely meant to give Adam Siao Him Fa a wide berth at what would have been a home JGP, but then Adam withdrew, leaving a field where there are hardly any quads or triple Axels, and two of the three medalists did only a double Axel.  Yuma Kagiyama, who had two quads, won by about thirty points, and came within a hair of breaking Stephen Gogolev's free skate score record (he took the record for total score).

- Ladies, Kamila Valieva had a couple of falls, but her 4T was breathtaking. The South Korean silver medalist was technically flawless, has a ways to go on interpretation.  The young French skater Sophie Sprung was my discovery of this competition, she was terrific.

- Ice dance, Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy expectedly won, though it was closer with Demougeot/Le Mercier than I would have expected.  Rough for Bronsard/Bouaraguia, my faves, who narrowly missed the podium.  I had been hoping that Aissa's twizzle problems were a thing of the past, given his two strong summer competitions, but they reared their head again in the RD, and then Emmy's FD stumble meant they missed even when the second Russian team fell (not on an element).

• Love 2

Aww she's a cutie and she can skate!

Excited to see how she progresses this year! One of the advantages of skating for the US is with that kind of arsenal unless she falls apart I don't see her missing Beijing unlike the Russian Skaters where it's a complete bloodbath.

• Love 4

We as the public don’t always need a celebrity to comment on a situation, even if they were close to it. Sometimes silence is golden. 

True, but Lipinski at least will be obliged to comment, because she's still actively involved in the sport, commentating with Johnny Wier at events for NBC. There's no way for her to maintain radio silence unless she quits her job.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, Enero said:

Personally I don’t need to hear from Lipinski and Eldridge on this.

I’m sure they have thoughts and feelings about what’s happened which hopefully, if addressed, will be done privately, within their inner circles. 

Being as both were coached by him and had successful amateur careers, Tara specifically, under his tenure, their feelings about this situation and towards him will probably be difficult to unpack.

I don't need to hear from them about it and agree that the wisest course of action is to say nothing.

That being said, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being curious about how they're processing the news particularly Eldredge. What a range of emotions they both must be experiencing. They spent so much time together, especially Todd, this has to be hard to hear about. They may or may not believe the allegations. They might have their own stories to tell about things they witnessed that were initially glossed over or shrugged off only to wonder if there was indeed something sinister at work and they're only just now realizing it. 

Before 2000 Richard Callaghan was on the track to having a legacy like Frank Carroll. Even though it's been years since he's been a top coach, to know that he's been banned still has to send shock waves to the people who remember him from the 80s and 90s. (ETA: It isn't so much that the allegations are shocking. There have been whispers for over 20 years. It's that something has been done about it that will be shocking to people who knew/know/remember him.) Tara and Todd aren't the only people whose reactions I'd be curious to hear about. There are several coaches and choreographers whose take I'd be interested in hearing. 

On another note, I have such high hopes for Alysa. It's very exciting to see how far she's come in such a short time. 

Edited by Avaleigh
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

True, but Lipinski at least will be obliged to comment, because she's still actively involved in the sport, commentating with Johnny Wier at events for NBC. There's no way for her to maintain radio silence unless she quits her job.

Lipinski was 14 when she won the Olympic gold, around 18 when chronic hip problems forced her to retire.  I have no problem if she says she didn't know about Callaghan's treatment of other skaters, I hope to God she didn't.  

As for what she thinks about the charges against him, she seems like a reasonable, sentient being and I don't need to hear her say it to know that she is probably shocked and disgusted.  And, if she still has some positive feelings about Callaghan despite knowing how he treated others, well, she's human, it's bound to be the case.

• Love 2

The problem with Tara responding is that the public will conveniently forget that she was only a teenager when she was his student.  I don’t doubt the outrage against him will spill over onto anyone who says anything about him, especially if it’s “I didn’t know.”  I hope Todd and Tara remain quiet and are able to process their experience/feelings in peace.

• Love 2
On 8/24/2019 at 5:12 PM, SeanC said:

Ladies, Kamila Valieva had a couple of falls, but her 4T was breathtaking.

I generally hate the Eteria camp choreography because it's so busy and full of pointless transitions.  But Valieva is so graceful she almost makes it worse.  I wish they would hire more choreographers and let the skaters feel the music.  

• Love 2