Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Unfortunately, Bradie and Mariah did not do well enough to get the USA three places in next year's Worlds

Then I'm misunderstanding...what did they have to do? I thought they only had to both place in the top 10 to earn 3 places for next year. Does it go by points?

6 hours ago, Jaded said:

image.thumb.png.0edd77c027fb1dc4defcf1467401146f.png

Interesting that a team that got level 2 on their Twizzles, was held up enough by their PCS to be in 2nd place. I love Stepanova and Bukin, but Sinitsina and Katsalapov? Not so much. I'd rather see Hubbell and Donahue on the podium, if they're my only U.S. option. That said, it is a virtual tie between 2nd and 4th places.  Hell, it's a point and a half between 2nd and 6th! The final group will be a dog fight for the silver and bronze. 

GO, Chock and Bates!

Like any of us think that there's really a battle for the gold medal. Whatevs. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Then I'm misunderstanding...what did they have to do? I thought they only had to both place in the top 10 to earn 3 places for next year. Does it go by points?

Their placement had to add up to 13 or less, right?  Ninth and seventh is 16. 

Anyone see a live stream and see how the crowd reacted to Mariah? She obviously fell three places in the standings from the short program, so it couldn't have been a clean skate. I wonder if she was rattled by the accusations? Lim also fell to 10th place. She had been one spot above Mariah, but finished one spot below. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

It goes by placement and the number of skaters. If a country only has one skater, a top 10 finish gives the country two spots next year. This is what happened with the USA in pairs this year. If a country has two (or three) skaters, the two places have to add up to 13 or less to send three the next year. Bradie was 7th and Mariah 9th, so their total is 16. The USA still can send two next year, since their total was 28 or less.

There are a little different rules for Olympics but that's still three years away.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Anyone see a live stream and see how the crowd reacted to Mariah? She obviously fell three places, so it couldn't have been clean. I wonder if she was rattled by the accusations. 

She skated about as well as she does, and well Miyahara, Kihira, and Tennell who faltered in the SP, skated better than she did in the LP, more up to their potential. I thought Lim looked more affected.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Darknight said:

Nope, it's about quads now. That's why Elizabet came up fast. Next season her scores will be through the roof. Even UR quads are quads. it's a quad feast. Now, when injuries happen ISU will be forced to look at that. I was hoping Rika pulled through because she's the whole package. Nope. Quad feast. 

I know. I admire Alina, Zhenya, and Elizabet for their hard work and competitive fire, but I don’t particularly enjoy watching their programs. They look like they are concentrating on their next elements rather than feeling the music. Rika just floats across the ice and engages with the audience.  Seeing Jason Brown do well gives me a bit of hope for the future of judging.

• Love 7

This photo was....interesting 

Kudos to Zhenya for being a pro. Kinda baffling they got this shot.

This is cute though

Rika is gorgeous on ice (and a jumping bean to boot!) but unfortunately that SP cost her. She was a star this season but she had one too many dramatic comebacks while the others clung on for dear life this competition. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing Rika next year. She's a very exciting skater. And I'm interested in her quad progress.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

This photo was....interesting 

Kudos to Zhenya for being a pro. Kinda baffling they got this shot.

This is cute though

Rika is gorgeous on ice (and a jumping bean to boot!) but unfortunately that SP cost her. She was a star this season but she had one too many dramatic comebacks while the others clung on for dear life this competition. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing Rika next year. She's a very exciting skater. And I'm interested in her quad progress.

Did Evgenia get taller? She looks so tall here. Maybe it's the pic. So happy Alina and Evgenia can finally be together without fans and the media saying they hate each other

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Did Canada go from 3 spots for ladies to 1?

Yes, Daleman was 11 and Chartrand was 22, so 33 (the third skater didn't make the cut to skate in the Free, although only the highest two counts).They needed to place a combined 28 or less for 2 places next year. Yikes!

And if they slip very far in Men (they are currently 13 and 14), they might only have one spot next year there.

Someone wondered if the FD might be shown at 1:00 PM on Saturday on NBCSN. Not according to my tv schedule (in the metro DC area). Heck--the Washington Post has hockey listed at 7:00 tonight (I checked the onscreen schedule that shows ice dance--got my fingers crossed cause you never know!)

2 minutes ago, healthnut said:

Who has seen the rhythm dances because I haven’t but I have a hard time believing Sinisita & Katsalapov were not grossly over scored. 

I've always loved Katsalapov's style. He's the standout (even with his previous partner), sooooo artistic. But I too am surprised re: their being in 2nd place.

3 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Did Canada go from 3 spots for ladies to 1?

2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Yes, Daleman was 11 and Chartrand was 22, so 33 (the third skater didn't make the cut to skate in the Free, although only the highest two counts).They needed to place a combined 28 or less for 2 places next year.

A skater who makes the free skate automatically counts for 16 points, so it’s 11+16.  Canada kept two with one ordinal to spare.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, healthnut said:

Who has seen the rhythm dances because I haven’t but I have a hard time believing Sinisita & Katsalapov were not grossly over scored. 

It will air later today on NBCSN.  Any update on whether they will air the free dance?  They are finally airing the ladies short tonight.  NBC Sports added Alina and Zhenya's free skates.

5 hours ago, Chaser said:

Given the field, I think the US should be happy their skaters ended up in the 10 top. I am curious how Liu would have stacked up here.

I'll say top 10 or 12 if they call her UR. Definitely not top or 4 even with her 3a. That's just my opinion. 

• Love 1

I'm going to post this here so I think Alina will have a tough season next year and/or retire. Which will be sad but she did her job for Russia. Russia's new number one lady and Eteri skater will be Alexandra Trusova if she still has her quads. Anna next if she has her quads. If Alena can get her 3a she will be right up there with Trusova. Their PCS scores will rise suddenly in seniors. I just hope Eteri's team will get new choreography and music cuts. I can't stand Danii's music cuts or choreography. 

And I hate how Russia and Tatiana Tarasova bash the Russian men. Kolyada is a good skater. Just so much pressure. No need to call him a disgrace. Give him a break. The Russian men is like USA ladies. Both federations pushing skaters as the next big thing and putting so much pressure on them. 

And I love to see skaters from small federations at Worlds. I wish they got more exposure/coverage and skating politics weren't involved. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Darknight said:

I don't like Jean Luc and Kaitlin together. They look awkward. 

Yes!  I like them, I like their skating & programs.  But, IMO, she's too big for him (or, he's too small for her).  They do look awkward together. I'm always amazed to see him twirl her around his shoulders.

• Love 1

I just saw Alina and Evgenia's long programs. I will say this ... Eteri does produce skaters who are tough as nails. The way both of them fought for their programs after such rough seasons is inspiring. I kind of hope Alina retires. She's achieved all there is to achieve. OGM, World Championship, Junior Worlds. Anyone who follows her on instagram knows that she's a talented artist and seems to be a lovely young lady. Watching her getting berated by Eteri is painful. She deserves some happiness.

• Love 10

I wish Eteri did well with her Male skaters. She has very talented Male skaters but sadly, I don't think she knows how to work with them. Most of them burn out. 

6 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I just saw Alina and Evgenia's long programs. I will say this ... Eteri does produce skaters who are tough as nails. The way both of them fought for their programs after such rough seasons is inspiring. I kind of hope Alina retires. She's achieved all there is to achieve. OGM, World Championship, Junior Worlds. Anyone who follows her on instagram knows that she's a talented artist and seems to be a lovely young lady. Watching her getting berated by Eteri is painful. She deserves some happiness.

I agree. Poor girl has had it rough. Please Alina take a nice long vacation. You deserve it. Seeing the hate she gets from everywhere is so heartbreaking. I'm guessing Alina will bring Eteri flowers next season. At least she has sponsors and fans all over the world. 

• Love 4

I understand that until P/C retire the judges will continue to give them gold every time their blades touch the ice, but a full eleven points ahead of the next closest team is something that I just don't get. At all.

I'm glad at least one US team made the podium, even if I would have preferred C/B. To H/D's credit, tonight was probably the first time this season that I actually liked their free dance.

Bummed that it looks like Russia is going to push S/K over S/B, as I much prefer the latter. S/K nearly put me to sleep tonight.

• Love 5
On 3/11/2019 at 3:51 PM, Libby96 said:

Anyone see a live stream and see how the crowd reacted to Mariah? She obviously fell three places in the standings from the short program, so it couldn't have been a clean skate. I wonder if she was rattled by the accusations? Lim also fell to 10th place. She had been one spot above Mariah, but finished one spot below. 

Mariah had a great skate. Season's best for her FS and overall. She just doesn't have the tech content of other skaters (no 3-3 in her FS).

Good for Elizabet landing a quad. As for ladies becoming all about quads, wake me up when someone other than a tween or with the body of a tween lands one.

With how stacked the ladies field is right now, I think the US ladies did about as well as could be expected. They needed others to falter to get that 3rd spot, and nobody did.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, redpencil said:

Mariah had a great skate. Season's best for her FS and overall. She just doesn't have the tech content of other skaters (no 3-3 in her FS).

Good for Elizabet landing a quad. As for ladies becoming all about quads, wake me up when someone other than a tween or with the body of a tween lands one.

With how stacked the ladies field is right now, I think the US ladies did about as well as could be expected. They needed others to falter to get that 3rd spot, and nobody did.

Mariah also doesn't have a triple salchow in her free skate (which is a little strange, since she's done them in the past, they must be working on her technique), so all things considered, her score was pretty generous, even though she has great flow out of her jumps. One judge even had her in fifth in the LP. Honestly, a top ten finish is definitely not what it used to be-a clean sp and long with triple triples still could have you just inside the top ten. This worlds definitely seemed like a new frontier with quad salchows and triple axels landed. I think that the US obsesses a little too much over the three spots thing, and that it's fine not to have them for now. Let Ting et. al battle it out next year if they want one of those two spots.

I'm a little heartbroken for Kaori. I'm sad for Rika, but she did single her axel in the short so it's fine that she didn't medal here. It was nice to see Elizabet land the quad salchow, if only because her short score was a little controversial. But I'm not particularly looking forward to the onslaught of quads next year. I have to admit, I'm super impressed that Alina pulled it out, even if I don't agree with her PCs. Phil Hersh did his usual "I wonder how Alysa Lui would have done here" BS. Alysa is impressive, but she is very lucky that she did not have another competition following nationals (not even jr worlds, like past young national champs) where she would have been subjected to an international technical panel and with the pressure of being national champion. 

Edited by BelleBrit
  • Love 4

Nathan!!!!!! Omg!!!!!!

I was sooo worried for him after Hanyu's fantastic skate and all those damn pooh bears needing to be cleaned up but OMG he delivered!!!!!!! 

The boys were impressive and the quads were flying. Crazy and so awesome.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, TwoBitUsherette said:

I understand that until P/C retire the judges will continue to give them gold every time their blades touch the ice, but a full eleven points ahead of the next closest team is something that I just don't get. At all.

I'm glad at least one US team made the podium, even if I would have preferred C/B. To H/D's credit, tonight was probably the first time this season that I actually liked their free dance.

Bummed that it looks like Russia is going to push S/K over S/B, as I much prefer the latter. S/K nearly put me to sleep tonight.

Re: S/K nearly putting you to sleep? Tanith said that they were skating w/ more control now, esp Nikita. I was a bit disappointed because he's usually more dramatic & fun to watch. But I think World's silver is the best they've done (he won bronze at Sochi w/ a previous partner).

I was stunned to see P/C's score. How can they be *that* much better than the other top teams?  It makes me wonder how the other teams will have the drive to keep training, knowing this is what they face at every competition P/C are in until the next Olympics. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was stunned to see P/C's score. How can they be *that* much better than the other top teams? 

I mean, they kind of are, though.  I think people aren't quite used to this because in the last decade of ice dance there tended to be two super-teams at one time (Virtue/Moir versus Davis/White, and then by the time Papadakis/Cizeron had really reached superteam status V/M came back for one last ride), but that's not always going to be the case.

As far as Sinitsina/Katsalapov, their free dance doesn't inspire me, but they're very, very good technically, and other than Euros Nikita seems to have stopped getting in his own way, so it makes sense that they've risen like this.

Men's free is listed as 1-3 PM EST on NBCSN today (Saturday). FYI.

It's really amazing that the US men are now outpulling ice dance, when for the last few years, that was the discipline where we did the best. So happy for Vincent Zhou. Very sad for Jason Brown - such a great start in this competition, but his FS must have been a disaster for it to rank 14th. Also a little surprised that Cha wound up so low - he's basically the second coming, according to Johnny Weir. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Men's free is listed as 1-3 PM EST on NBCSN today (Saturday). FYI.

It's really amazing that the US men are now outpulling ice dance, when for the last few years, that was the discipline where we did the best. So happy for Vincent Zhou. Very sad for Jason Brown - such a great start in this competition, but his FS must have been a disaster for it to rank 14th. Also a little surprised that Cha wound up so low - he's basically the second coming, according to Johnny Weir. 

Jason wasn’t a 100% disaster in the free, but pretty close to one for him. Fell on the quad salchow—as usual—had less than great landings on the next 1 or 2 jumps, messy landing on the first triple axel, and completely missed the second triple axel in combination. He popped it to a single and missed the combo. I know from hearing other skaters in interviews that going last is a group can be difficult since you have so much time between the warmup and competing. And I can’t even imagine how it would feel to go after the 2 best skaters in your discipline in the world, who both gave awesome performances. It was going to be a a tough flight for him anyway, considering who else was in it. It’s too bad he wasn’t able to deliver what he’s capable of.

• Love 1

The men’s competition was great. I’m sad for Jason though. I hope Vincent can keep this momentum going.

Maybe Johnny isn’t as self-involved as everyone thinks because he never mentioned Hanyu’s SP is a tribute to him. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BelleBrit said:

Phil Hersh did his usual "I wonder how Alysa Lui would have done here" BS. Alysa is impressive, but she is very lucky that she did not have another competition following nationals (not even jr worlds, like past young national champs) where she would have been subjected to an international technical panel and with the pressure of being national champion. 

Exactly. Between Tara, Jonhnny, USA fed, her dad making it look like Liu would beat the Russians or win gold. She is 13, has ur jumps, weak skating skills, and didn't feel the pressure to win yet. Try defending her title. Internationally they wouldn't let her get away with what USA fed allowed her to get away with. She would not win unless everyone else fails. I don't see her doing well in seniors unless she fixes her technique. 

They should be looking at Hanna, Ting, and even Starr. Hanna and Ting are both stronger than Alyssa. 

How in the world did Vincent get third? Please someone tell me. Worlds was bs. The Japanese ladies were robbed. They should just announce the winners beforehand instead of making it look like skating is judged. 

Nathan looks great. His jumps are cleaner and his height is amazing. He still doesn't do it for me in the artistry department. 

Also, Evgenia is in a new nike ad. 

Ice dance will always have their favorites. Sad because others don't have a chance. 

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Darknight said:

How in the world did Vincent get third?

I'd love to know too. I guess just not falling is all that is needed now to not have more of your jumps reviewed.

Congrats to Nathan, well deserved defense. I still find him boring, but that's a better performance than at nationals.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

The men’s competition was great. I’m sad for Jason though. I hope Vincent can keep this momentum going.

Maybe Johnny isn’t as self-involved as everyone thinks because he never mentioned Hanyu’s SP is a tribute to him. 

I wish there was an emoticon that was half sad face/half laughing face. Sheesh...it must've killed Johnny to have kept quiet about *that* 😎

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, displayname said:

I'd love to know too. I guess just not falling is all that is needed now to not have more of your jumps reviewed.

Congrats to Nathan, well deserved defense. I still find him boring, but that's a better performance than at nationals.

I guess they ignored his tech issues. I often remind myself why viewership is down for the sport and why do I keep watching it when skaters are being screwed. Vincent should not even be on the podium. In what world? ISU rejected two separate panels for tech and PCS. I wonder why

• Love 3

Who should have been 3rd though?

Quite a few of the others splatted. Also is it obvious he underroated and how many jumps did he under rotate? How many points should he have lost?

I watched his skate twice and I enjoyed it. His ninja routine was adorable. 

I liked the quad combo with the arm over the head. 

I felt like this was as fair an outcome as could be in both the mens and womens. I'm not a fan of the silver medalist in ladies but I can't say she robbed anyone. 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Who should have been 4th though?

Quite a few of the others splatted. Also is it obvious he underroated and how many jumps did he under rotate? How many points should he have lost?

I watched his skate twice and I enjoyed it. His ninja routine was adorable. 

I liked the quad combo with the arm over the head. 

I felt like this was as fair an outcome as could be in both the mens and womens. I'm not a fan of the silver medalist in ladies but I can't say she robbed anyone. 

Medvedeva robbed Kihira. She had an edge call ignored in the LP that alone would have put Kihira ahead of her. Apart from that, for the rest of the podium it's debatable, but just this one thing would have changed a placement.

Jin Boyang had cleaner jumps than Zhou in terms of rotation (his 4T looks around to me in the LP, too, but it was called), nor are his PCS in the LP five points worse than Zhou. Zhou had URs ignored in the SP too. That is enough even if you considered Jin's 4Lz fall in the SP. Shoma is a better overall skater than both, but he made too many mistakes overall, and his LP skate wasn't great. This is less egregious than the Ladies for now, to me.

Edited by displayname

Chen is a great jumper. I will give him that and the choreography for his program was excellent, but he has NO PRESENCE whatsoever. Watching him is like watching paint dry. Thus I will never understand the PCS he gets, but congrats to him on winning and defending his WC title.

Hanyu always impresses. He really fought for that program. I know that ankle is still giving him trouble which is perhaps why we did not see him put a quad in combination. However the 4T/3A SEQ was WOW. So happy he had a clean skate. I know that he was pleased to have skated clean in his home country, but this Origin program is not one of his best IMO.  Congrats on the silver though! 

Surprised that Zhou sneaked in for the bronze. I thought Jason might hold on for that. I'm happy for him. Shomo has such presence on the ice and potential, but he's had a tough season. He's been on the podium, but he's at times stalled out or regressed. I believe he was fighting an injury at one point. So perhaps that was causing his issues as well as his technique which looks to not be that great. He struggled at the start of his program, but got better in the second half. I hope he can have better success next season. So glad Boyang was able to pull up to 5th. I hope he will continue to improve on this next season.

I thought Jason Brown would at least win bronze, but his LP was just not good. And it wasn't just the missed jumps. It was the music, the choreography and the performance. Very forgettable program. Sorry he ended up in 9th place, but with that program and performance, I don't know where else he could've landed. No pun intended.

Though the top 3 skated clean and  the overall event wasn't a splatfest, I thought this men's event was a snoozefest.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Enero said:

Though the top 3 skated clean and  the overall event wasn't a splatfest, I thought this men's event was a snoozefest.

100% agreed. In fact, already I am going "ah, that happened". I already remember nothing apart from S/H's performances, and the recent-and-fresh Zhou's uncalled URs. (ETA: And Med's edge call, before someone @s me)

Edited by displayname

I'm opposite. I was buzzing with excitement after Hanyu's skate and then started freaking out about the Pooh bears and how this would affect Nathan. Then I kinda felt ill before his first jump, felt better after the triple axel and then it was all good after that as I watched his tech score climb 😅

Was semi distressing but fun😂

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I enjoy his modern style and think he has come a long way in interpretation. I like watching him.

I do think he has improved in terms of presenting a program. I don't automatically think that means he has a good presence or performance ability though. Not particularly magnetic.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Darknight said:

I agree. Poor girl has had it rough. Please Alina take a nice long vacation. You deserve it. Seeing the hate she gets from everywhere is so heartbreaking. I'm guessing Alina will bring Eteri flowers next season. At least she has sponsors and fans all over the world. 

I've seen a lot of vile comments directed towards Alina from Russian fans because she's of Tatar origin. Same thing towards Aliya Mustafina in gymnastics. I can't at how bigoted and narrow-minded people are.

• Love 5