Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

Will be interesting to see who Rusfed send to Worlds.

Zhenya just won the Cup of Russia! Oh the drama! 

As much as I would enjoy the celebrity factor of Zhenya and Alina at Worlds I personally think it's better for Zhenya to chill and keep working at it for next season. 

• Love 2

https://www.today.com/video/olympian-gracie-gold-opens-up-about-her-struggles-off-the-ice-1446678595704

Gracie's interview on Today. It's so troubling that she talks about how saying "Oh I ate a tomato today" is so common among figure skaters. Major disordered eating -- wonder if there's any elite skater who hasn't had some disordered eating.

Another profile of Tessa Virtue.

https://thewalrus.ca/the-olympics-are-over-but-tessa-virtue-is-just-getting-started/

Again, she says she didn't even eat a grape withou tthinking "Will this help me win the Olympics." So troubling.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, displayname said:

Rumours indicate that Zagitova might not be on the worlds team.

Unless Zagitova has some kind of injury that we don't know about, she'll be sent to Worlds.  She's now very inconsistent, but her upside potential is extremely high if she can somehow recover that Nebelhorn mojo (I don't think she will) and she has a PCS cushion sufficient to keep her ordinals respectable even if things go badly.

With steady Samodurova there, who I expect will finish somewhere between third and fifth, the Russian team has a very solid base as far as keeping spots goes.

37 minutes ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I don't know how accurate this translation is from a transcription of a youtube video.  Any Russian speakers?  Is Medvedeva hinting that they should pick Tuktamysheva for Worlds instead of her?

That's her being sportsmanlike.  She definitely wants to go to Worlds.

1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Unless Zagitova has some kind of injury that we don't know about, she'll be sent to Worlds.  She's now very inconsistent, but her upside potential is extremely high if she can somehow recover that Nebelhorn mojo (I don't think she will) and she has a PCS cushion sufficient to keep her ordinals respectable even if things go badly.

There are steady rumours, and I believe them from the Russian side. Of course we'll wait.

14 hours ago, Ruby Gillis said:

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva just hit her triple axel at the Cup of Russia!  I feel so bad she got sick when her season was building such momentum.

If I had to choose the worlds team Liza definitely earned her spot. It should be Alina, Sofia, Liza. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

https://www.today.com/video/olympian-gracie-gold-opens-up-about-her-struggles-off-the-ice-1446678595704

Gracie's interview on Today. It's so troubling that she talks about how saying "Oh I ate a tomato today" is so common among figure skaters. Major disordered eating -- wonder if there's any elite skater who hasn't had some disordered eating.

Another profile of Tessa Virtue.

https://thewalrus.ca/the-olympics-are-over-but-tessa-virtue-is-just-getting-started/

Again, she says she didn't even eat a grape withou tthinking "Will this help me win the Olympics." So troubling.

This is why I will never get behind the hype them up train from USA federation. This includes Alyssa Liu. My heart breaks for Gracie. She was hyped up as the next Michelle Kwan and will save USA ladies skating. Even as a junior. I'm so happy she is getting help and taking it slow. I hope she finds her passion for skating again. 

• Love 7

Is it me? But Evegenia looks more like q woman than a girl. Her body looks more grown up now and more healthy. 

I also just watched Alina's Olympic programs. My goodness I still can't believe that was a year ago and here we are a year later and she is a different skater. 

• Love 2

Seems like things can change in the blink of an eye with skating. I remember thinking Alina was untouchable. She zoomed her way through that crazy Don Quixote program like a boss. Still in my eyes she's made history for that and it will always be one of the most memorable programs for me. 

I wonder how many of her issues  can be attributed to stress, growing up and recognising the expectations on her. The Olympics girl looked like she was just bouncing her way through on ice and anything won was a bonus. Alina these days always looks stressed and harassed. 

I really want to see if Trusova and Co will be competitive by 2022 and dominant or will we see them crash and burn after a few good seasons and 2022 will be won by another girl who peaks at the right time.

Rika is another interesting case since her coach seems really meticulous with her career. 

Elizaveta deserves to go to Worlds based on her results but omg she bores me and looks so slow on ice. I couldn't sit through her program.

It's really subjective isn't it? Give me Bradie any day. Bradie and her twizzles are exciting!

I know Tara isn't popular on here but I watched her Olympics program last night and she had decent tech for those days.  Even a triple loop triple loop.  I actually felt her program wasn't too out of place with the tech these days whereas some of the other programs don't age well on tech. 

Some of the other older programs there was a lot of skating around and posing with their arms. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Elizaveta deserves to go to Worlds based on her results but omg she bores me and looks so slow on ice.

I love the height of her jumps.  

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I wonder how many of her issues  can be attributed to stress, growing up and recognising the expectations on her. The Olympics girl looked like she was just bouncing her way through on ice and anything won was a bonus. Alina these days always looks stressed and harassed. 

I think Alina and Zhenya are going through the same thing:  puberty.  They are taller now and have to relearn how to jump.  I think Alina might have some injuries they don't talk about.  She twisted her ankle in December.  If they aren't getting proper nutrition, they aren't going to recover fully.  Alina does have the added pressure of all the girls coming up behind her at her rink.

I heard Kostornaia stopped competing her triple axel because she grew, so at least she's thinking of the future instead of powering through elements for points.  If judging continues the same way, I don't think Trusova or Shcherbakova will be at the next olympics.  They will have hit puberty by then and some younger skaters will be the new thing that season.  This video of another junior Kamila Valieva went semi-viral, and Eteri was quick to say the Picasso-inspired program was her favorite short ever.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Seems like things can change in the blink of an eye with skating. I remember thinking Alina was untouchable. She zoomed her way through that crazy Don Quixote program like a boss. Still in my eyes she's made history for that and it will always be one of the most memorable programs for me. 

I really want to see if Trusova and Co will be competitive by 2022 and dominant or will we see them crash and burn after a few good seasons and 2022 will be won by another girl who peaks at the right time.

Rika is another interesting case since her coach seems really meticulous with her career. 

Elizaveta deserves to go to Worlds based on her results but omg she bores me and looks so slow on ice. I couldn't sit through her program.

It's really subjective isn't it? Give me Bradie any day. Bradie and her twizzles are exciting!

I know Tara isn't popular on here but I watched her Olympics program last night and she had decent tech for those days.  Even a triple loop triple loop.  I actually felt her program wasn't too out of place with the tech these days whereas some of the other programs don't age well on tech. 

Some of the other older programs there was a lot of skating around and posing with their arms. 

Eteri doesn't like puberty. On top of that not eating and jumping like crazy jumping beans breaks the body down. There's a reason why her boy skaters dont do well too. Eteri pushes her skaters over the max while the Japanese tend to take it slow and focus on technique and detail. I mean look at the way the Japanese skaters can control the blade and their technique vs the Russian or American skaters. Rika is learning quads the proper and right way in my opinion. She is taking it slow. She is building up strength. Eteri pushes quads and her skaters have poor technique and she selects the  most skinniest shortest girls and delays puberty to the max. I will never forget what she said about her one skater being too tall at 5'7 a few seasons ago. She tells her skaters not to eat and these girls are skating 8 hours a day. I don't understand how their bodies especially growing bodies handle that. 

I didn't expect Alina to go downhill so fast. I think she is also injured. Maybe a stress fracture. She peaked at just the right time for the Olympics. I get bashed for saying this but I don't see any of the soon to be Eteri seniors (maybe  just Alena) at the Olympics. By 2022 Eteri will have two 15 year olds and I'm sure one of them will be doing  quads. Her soon to be seniors will almost be 18 and 19 years old. In Eteri years that's old. I think Anna will be the first not to skate. Maybe one good year in seniors. She hardly leaves the ice anyway  then maybe Trusova. I suspect they'll push Trusova harder than Anna because Russia wants to win and she has quads. I think around 16 is when the injuries really start to set in and Eteri's technique fails. She tries to delay puberty as much as she can. Evegenia's body began to fail around 16/17. Yulia's body began to fail at 16 too. Alina at 16. Both right after the Olympics. I hate making predictions but this goes for Alyssa Liu too. I suspect she will go out just like Eteri skaters and have a skating career like Tara's. One year in seniors before she retires due to hip injuries or the pressure by USA federation. 

Liza's programa are so empty for me but I'm happy to see a grown woman on the podium in Russia. She definitely deserves her spot and I wish Russia Federation would stop messing around. 

Honestly, I'm still upset Michelle didn't win. I will never forget Tara screaming when she won. That's history. 

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I love the height of her jumps.  

I think Alina and Zhenya are going through the same thing:  puberty.  They are taller now and have to relearn how to jump.  I think Alina might have some injuries they don't talk about.  She twisted her ankle in December.  If they aren't getting proper nutrition, they aren't going to recover fully.  Alina does have the added pressure of all the girls coming up behind her at her rink.

I heard Kostornaia stopped competing her triple axel because she grew, so at least she's thinking of the future instead of powering through elements for points.  If judging continues the same way, I don't think Trusova or Shcherbakova will be at the next olympics.  They will have hit puberty by then and some younger skaters will be the new thing that season.  This video of another junior Kamila Valieva went semi-viral, and Eteri was quick to say the Picasso-inspired program was her favorite short ever.

I love Kamila's program. She is a beautiful skater. I'm hoping Eteri does well with her. I love her costume too. It sucks I can't get attached to her because in 3-4 years she'll be gone for another new skater. 

Eteri also has a 10 year old skater who is also good. I didn't want to believe she has a factory of skaters but she does. My goodness it's like one after the other. 

10 minutes ago, Darknight said:

Japanese tend to take it slow and focus on technique and detail. I mean look at the way the Japanese skaters can control the blade and their technique vs the Russian or American skaters. Rika is learning quads the proper and right way in my opinion. She is taking it slow. She is building up strength.

I'm hoping the judges tire of the Eteri style and start favoring the Japanese.  I blame the Sochi Olympics.  They felt the pressure to inflate the scores and we're still feeling the effects.  Honestly, I prefer Tuktamysheva's empty programs over the clutter of Eteri programs.  Alina's Don Quixote program could have been one of the all-time bests if she had the time to hold more of the elements.  That great knee slide went by so fast that the audience had no time to react.

I'm interested to see if the Chinese skaters get tons of money and have competitive singles skaters in Beijing.  

Edited by Ruby Gillis
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I'm hoping the judges tire of the Eteri style and start favoring the Japanese.  I blame the Sochi Olympics.  They felt the pressure to inflate the scores and we're still feeling the effects.  Honestly, I prefer Tuktamysheva's empty programs over the clutter of Eteri programs.  Alina's Don Quixote program could have been one of the all-time bests if she had the time to hold more of the elements.  That great knee slide went by so fast that the audience had no time to react.

I'm interested to see if the Chinese skaters get tons of money and have competitive singles skaters in Beijing.  

I'm still not over Sochi. The whole thing was a mess and again I was turned off by the Olympics and skating. Eteri has beautiful skaters but awful programs. I think the huge thing is she only creates programs to win and get as many points as possible. Some of her programs are recycled.  Alina's program is a hot mess this year and she deserves better. Danii and his music cuts. I would take of points for that. I do wish skaters would hold elements longer. It's impressive but with lacking technique how will they hold elements? 

China is already sending skaters to America and abroad. South Korea has skaters too. At this rate, I see China and South Korea catching up before we Americans do. 

• Love 5

Maybe it's time for some american skaters to move/train to Japan?

It's nice to see Gracie talking on tv.  If she wants to go to/medal at a world championships, I hope she does.  Listening to her, it seems like even at Socchi she was very unhappy.  I wonder if she ever liked her music, or if other people chose them for her.  Poor Gracie.  But if Mirai (lately of the Poor Mirai) can do it, then I suspect that Gracie can too.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I wonder if American skaters would be welcome. Chris Reed is accepted there *but* he has a Japanese partner (& is Japanese-American himself). The coaches there seem to train their skaters very well. What's their secret? Maybe they make them skate figures for the first 5 years!  But gee, did we have so much underrotating back in the day? Just guessing here. I'm no expert.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

It's nice to see Gracie talking on tv.  If she wants to go to/medal at a world championships, I hope she does.  Listening to her, it seems like even at Socchi she was very unhappy.  I wonder if she ever liked her music, or if other people chose them for her.  Poor Gracie.  But if Mirai (lately of the Poor Mirai) can do it, then I suspect that Gracie can too.

I called this 7 years ago when they were hyping Gracie up as the next Kwan. She seems to have an eager to please personality and hates letting people down. She can't say no or disappoint people. On top of that USA federation created the Gold Wagner rivalry and hyped her up. Her last name is Gold for goodness sakes. Gracie had so much pressure to win a medal in 2014 and win at worlds. To live up to the Gold name. She was the next it girl. I saw her struggles back in 2015 and 2016 and she looked over it. Going to Frank didn't help. 

I think moving to Japan would be hard. New language, new culture. New school. What about money? Costs? Would Japan accept and train an American skater? I mean they do send Japanese skaters to North America and aren't strict like Russia. I wonder how that would work. The skater would have to learn Japanese, be away from home, and learn about a new way of living and training. Maybe some Japanese coaches can hold a few training sessions here. I think the big issue is from what I've seen is  the USA has technical issues they refuse to admit to. Skater jumps 3a falls, they're rewarded for trying. Skating has UR USA federation ignores it as long as they don't fall. At Japanese nationals, I think they score their skaters lower than what they would actually earn internationally and give them fair scores. No brownie points. USA inflates their scores too much. IN my opinion, the Japanese judges are fair. I think USA is in such a rush to prove their ladies can do quads and triples that they don't care about tech issues or taking things slow. They keep pushing the baby ballerina's and focus on the wrong things. Meanwhile, the Japanese pay attention to details and take things slow so their skaters can grasp things before moving onto the next thing. I doubt they're worried about what Russia or what other countries are doing. They're focusing on themselves. USA is too focused on Russia and Japan. They're fishing out the pre-adolescent skaters who might look good and hyping them up as the next Michelle Kwan while ignoring everything else. Then they scratch their heads and wonder why they keep falling behind. 

It's going to be hard for Gracie but if she puts in the work I think she can do well. There are up and coming juniors/seniors in USA who look good besides Alyssa. Ting, Hannah, Lindsay, Isabella are all good potentials moving forward. I hope Gracie can start to heal and has a good support system. My heart breaks for her. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder if American skaters would be welcome. Chris Reed is accepted there *but* he has a Japanese partner (& is Japanese-American himself). The coaches there seem to train their skaters very well. What's their secret? Maybe they make them skate figures for the first 5 years!  But gee, did we have so much underrotating back in the day? Just guessing here. I'm no expert.

Their secret? They don't push baby ballerinas and hype skaters up as the next Mao or Hanyu at 12 years old. Heck Rika is doing good and she is the first Rika not next Mao.  They focus on technique and themselves and don't give out brownie points. They don't push their skaters to do things they're clearly not ready to do. They take each thing step by step. Also, the Japanese culture is about respect and being kind. This is why you'll see many Japanese fans and people clap and cheer skaters from other countries and even make documentaries about them. It sucks Worlds is in Japan this year because you have zero chance at getting tickets. Even if you live in Japan. 

• Love 3

Isn't the secret money?  The government puts more money into training programs.    

Meanwhile in the US, healthcare, child care, and college costs are skyrocketing.  Fewer people would pick such an expensive sport for their kids.  And skaters now have to be more trained than Tonya Harding could get away with.  I think Gracie Gold mentioned her father losing his job in the last few years as one of the major pressures on her.  I would think rink time in the US is more expensive too?  Other countries seem to have more community-owned ice rinks, tennis courts, pools, etc.  

Honestly though, our skaters are doing okay.  Gracie and Ashley Wagner performed well at Sochi.  I enjoyed watching their skating.  Mirai landed a triple axel at Pyeongchang.  Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen were loved for their artistry rather than nailing it at the Olympics.  That's what I think the US should be focusing on:  innovative programs.  Bring on Jimmy Ma and Turn Down for What.  I'd rather see music that young athletes really connect to.  The French team is doing so well this season with the Charlie White-choreographed free program.    

13 hours ago, Darknight said:

Alina's program is a hot mess this year and she deserves better.

Those cuts of Phantom of the Opera are unbearable. I haven't even been able to sit through her program.  

I also have enjoyed Bradie and Mariah this season.  Bradie doesn't have a lot of inherent artistry but she's a lot better this year.  Mariah is a beautiful skater but she doesn't seem to have the competitive fire.  I don't think skating is ever going to be as popular as it was in the 90s, but with the internet, the US should easily be able to build up a passionate following who will buy tickets and merchandise and really be engaged.  They aren't helping themselves at the moment with hard to find broadcasts and commentators who don't educate the audience.  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Darknight said:

Would Japan accept and train an American skater?

Countries aren't monoliths; you're talking about what individual coaches would do.  Japanese coaches have consulted with other countries' skaters (e.g., Mie Hamada worked a bit with Vincent Zhou over the summer), but it's generally not the case that foreign skaters train in Japan -- and yes, I'd expect the language barrier is part of the reason for that.

But I don't think that's necessary, in any event.  There are plenty of coaches in the US who are as good as anybody you'd find overseas.

I think the big issue is from what I've seen is  the USA has technical issues they refuse to admit to. Skater jumps 3a falls, they're rewarded for trying.

I'm not sure what you mean here; there aren't many America skaters who've even attempted a 3A.  But yes, attempting the 3A excites people, because trying it is the only way you'll ever get good at it.

Skating has UR USA federation ignores it as long as they don't fall.

Nationals judging is more lenient everywhere, but if you're talking about Vincent, he's had numerous URs called at the national level.

Meanwhile, the Japanese pay attention to details and take things slow so their skaters can grasp things before moving onto the next thing. I doubt they're worried about what Russia or what other countries are doing. They're focusing on themselves. USA is too focused on Russia and Japan.

Japan absolutely pays attention to what other countries are doing -- the push for quads and 3As in Japan (which even Satoko is now working on, despite how tiny her jumps are) is 100% a response to the imminent arrival of the next wave of Russian juniors on the senior scene.

There's nothing unusual about that.  You have to know what your competition is doing and respond as necessary.

• Love 1

Rika gets sent off to train the 4S and 4T periodically so I'd say Japan is pushing the tech just as hard. Rika's coach just seems to be more careful about her student though.

Speaking of Rika, oh I love her but she kills me with her need for dramatic comebacks. She entered some tiny competition and didn't do well in the SP only to come back and win it after the FP.

Worlds is going to be so exciting!!! 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Ruby Gillis said:

Isn't the secret money?  The government puts more money into training programs.    

Meanwhile in the US, healthcare, child care, and college costs are skyrocketing.  Fewer people would pick such an expensive sport for their kids.  And skaters now have to be more trained than Tonya Harding could get away with.  I think Gracie Gold mentioned her father losing his job in the last few years as one of the major pressures on her.  I would think rink time in the US is more expensive too?  Other countries seem to have more community-owned ice rinks, tennis courts, pools, etc.  

Yes. The first issue is how expensive figure skating is. Many families even upper class families wouldn't invest or want their child to be an elite skater. It's too expensive and it's not worth it in the end. Meaning there is no pay off like basketball or gymnastics. Here, skating puts in in poverty or debt. In Russia and Japan skating gets you out of poverty. You can became a huge star skating. Once you add up everything it's so expensive. It's sad because some skaters have talent but can't skate because they don't have the money. Other countries invest and its paid for by the government. Our government would never invest in sports like this. Many skaters get endorsement deals here. That's only if they're on top and create buzz. 

Besides money, I think it is the technical issues too. Many US skaters I've have technical issues. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SeanC said:

Countries aren't monoliths; you're talking about what individual coaches would do.  Japanese coaches have consulted with other countries' skaters (e.g., Mie Hamada worked a bit with Vincent Zhou over the summer), but it's generally not the case that foreign skaters train in Japan -- and yes, I'd expect the language barrier is part of the reason for that.

But I don't think that's necessary, in any event.  There are plenty of coaches in the US who are as good as anybody you'd find overseas.

I'm not sure what you mean here; there aren't many America skaters who've even attempted a 3A.  But yes, attempting the 3A excites people, because trying it is the only way you'll ever get good at it.

Nationals judging is more lenient everywhere, but if you're talking about Vincent, he's had numerous URs called at the national level.

Japan absolutely pays attention to what other countries are doing -- the push for quads and 3As in Japan (which even Satoko is now working on, despite how tiny her jumps are) is 100% a response to the imminent arrival of the next wave of Russian juniors on the senior scene.

There's nothing unusual about that.  You have to know what your competition is doing and respond as necessary.

I understand nationals are inflated but USA is the worse when it comes to this in my opinion. Tech just pretends they didn't see anything. If the jump is UR then call it out as UR. If a skater falls then call it out. Internationally the judges will call it out. 

I didn't know Mie worked with Vincent. That's awesome. I hope he fixes his jumps because I cringe when I see them. I guess I don't read or hear much about Japan so I'm not up to date with everything. Satoko working on her 3A? I'm sorry but yikes. 

I think many talk about the top coaches here like Raf, Tom Z, Frank. I do think there are a lot of wonderful coaches here that don't get recognized. I know a few coaches who I think are wonderful but they're not well known. So skaters might not go to a less known coach. 

I'll admit it would be kind of cool to see an American skater train in Japan but I just can't see it happening for many reasons. 

Edited by Darknight
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

I swear Rusfed are so shady.

Refuse to name anyone for worlds!

According to the translation they want to submit a list of people and then name their final selection just before worlds.

CRAZY!!!!!!! 

The Skating Lesson was speculating on whether they are trying to name someone and then have that person drop out so the person they really wanted to pick could go.  For example, they have to choose Zagitova but maybe Eteri could tell her to say she is injured and not go.  That way, if she isn't skating well, she can save face.  

14 hours ago, Ruby Gillis said:

The Skating Lesson was speculating on whether they are trying to name someone and then have that person drop out so the person they really wanted to pick could go.  For example, they have to choose Zagitova but maybe Eteri could tell her to say she is injured and not go.  That way, if she isn't skating well, she can save face.  

I doubt they would do this. Alina needs to prove herself in the eyes of everyone . If anything Stasya, would pull out. What the heck was the point of Russian cup then? I predict a Japanese sweep. 

57 minutes ago, Darknight said:

Can anyone tell me who Russian Fed chose for their men's team? 

Kolyada, Kovtun, Samarin.

As far as the ladies go, due to a relative lack of depth in the ladies field right now outside of Russia and Japan, there’s very likely a limit to how far down the standings people like Zagitova could sink even if she bombed the free like at her last two events.

• Love 1

Rika posted some lovely pics of herself and others at the 4CC dinner. She's so cute and pretty 😍

She's like a head shorter than Bradie!!!

I think Junliet ducked down in their photo so the height difference was not as obvious 😂

Rika is very good at posting her pics with other stars! She takes a photo with everyone in every comp 🤗 

• Love 2

Zhenya is going to Worlds!!!

https://fsrussia.ru/news/4271-ispolkom-ffkkr-nazval-sostav-sbornoj-rossii-na-chempionat-mira-v-yaponii.html

I am not sure if I feel excited or very worried! 

I've got goosebumps! Who knew that watching the Olympics last year would lead to such a big figure skating adventure!

Those of you who have followed figure skating for years, are the other Federations as dramatic/shady as Rusfed?

There was a vote and everything! 

I absolutely love Zhenya so much but this was kinda shady on Rusfed's part. 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, displayname said:

What an extremely foolish decision. At least Samodurova is looking consistent, and Zagitova is unlikely to go below 6th.

Maybe the judges will still have a soft spot for Medvedeva if she skates clean?  It would make an exciting narrative for figure skating. (Not that I agree with the decision but they've always loved her skating for some reason.)    

These are what they are saying the votes went:

6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Johnny Weir just had a Russorgasm. "I get to say her name! I get to say her name! Over and over and over, I get to say her name!"

Kostner is out of Worlds, but I had ended up getting attached to the idea of holding this over @CHICKSDIGSCARS' head for this quad

Heh. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, displayname said:

All jokes aside, though, this is unfair to Tukt, and her reaction is heart-breaking.

Triple Axel? Federation that doesn’t believe in you? She’s the Mirai Nagusu of Russia. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, displayname said:

All jokes aside, though, this is unfair to Tukt, and her reaction is heart-breaking.

Well gee Russian Fed, I thought you cared all about the jumps. The Japanese has a 3a. So why not put Liza on the team? Liza earned her spot. Both Alina and Evgenia are having s tough season. Skating politics suck. I hope this doesn't bite them in the ass and they only have to spots next year..

I don't understand wtf was the point of Russian Cup. It seems like emotional abuse to pit these girls against each other like that. Russian federation knew no matter what they would choose Evgenia in the end. So why not just say that earlier? Ugh

And there are no American, Russian, or Japanese judges at worlds this year. 

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

Triple Axel? Federation that doesn’t believe in you? She’s the Mirai Nagusu of Russia. 

I'm secretly hoping Liza trains two quads next season and beat these younger girls. Let's see how Russian fed will react 

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 2

I'm wondering how much star factor has to do with their decision.

Zhenya is undoubtedly one of their biggest stars and together with Alina is going to bring a lot of glitz and glamour to their worlds campaign. Hell release a photo of both interacting and the masses will go wild. 

Not sure if that will help with the 3 spot retention but at this point it feels like that is partially the reason for the decision. 

I dont care for Liza's skating at all but there's no denying she would have been a more stable choice given Zhenya's challenges this year. 

My other theory is after seeing Alina struggle they are going all in to invest in Zhenya for future years. Sure she doesn't have the tech but if she gradually rebuilds her jumps, they can rely on her as a veteran in case their future crop of big tech skaters have issues in the years to come. 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1

I though USFSA’s selection process was convoluted/sketchy, but the Russian Federation is a whole different level.

Given how deep the Russian senior girls/women field is right now, there was no chance that there weren’t going to be hurt feelings over who did or did not get selected. 

• Love 6
On 2/27/2019 at 6:11 PM, specialj67 said:

I though USFSA’s selection process was convoluted/sketchy, but the Russian Federation is a whole different level.

Given how deep the Russian senior girls/women field is right now, there was no chance that there weren’t going to be hurt feelings over who did or did not get selected. 

Imagine next year. Especially with Eteri's group. I'm sure there will be hurt feelings all around. I like Alina, Alena, Alexandra, Anna together but I wonder if down the line it will hurt their friendship. Especially the upcoming seniors. They're also rivals fighting for their spot. 

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 2
On 2/27/2019 at 5:25 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Zhenya is undoubtedly one of their biggest stars and together with Alina is going to bring a lot of glitz and glamour to their worlds campaign. Hell release a photo of both interacting and the masses will go wild. 

Not sure if that will help with the 3 spot retention but at this point it feels like that is partially the reason for the decision. 

I dont care for Liza's skating at all but there's no denying she would have been a more stable choice given Zhenya's challenges this year. 

My other theory is after seeing Alina struggle they are going all in to invest in Zhenya for future years. Sure she doesn't have the tech but if she gradually rebuilds her jumps, they can rely on her as a veteran in case their future crop of big tech skaters have issues in the years to come. 

Evegenia has full support of Tatiana and Russian Fed. She also has sponsors. More than Alina and many other Russian skaters I believe. I wonder if they know ladies only get one or two years in seniors before their technique starts failing so they're replaced. Maybe they want to prove they can have an adult lady skater like Liza. 

On 2/27/2019 at 5:25 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Evegenia has full support of Tatiana and Russian Fed. She also has sponsors. More than Alina and many other Russian skaters I believe. I wonder if they know ladies only get one or two years in seniors before their technique starts failing so they're replaced. Maybe they want to prove they can have an adult lady skater like Liza. 

And poor Evgenia. She is getting so much hate in Russia. The comments are so nasty. She should just get rid of social media or let her agent handle everything 

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 2