Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

In May Pedowitz was saying it was still a possibility but that was long after the start of the pandemic and the actors were out promoting the DVD etc. Shrug. Sucks for everyone to have people keep asking about it and not be able to just say it's not happening. I'm sure Kat will be fine from a work stand point.  

It may have been picked up if it wasn't for COVID but it doesn't seem to have been on their priority list before that either. Oh well. I'm not sad that it ends with Oliver (baring potential comics and guest appearances) and glad I don't have to wonder if they'd have Mia say she's closer to one of them than her mother now in an Auntie or something similar. That would be annoying.

It does grate my cheese that they had William forever kidnapped as a cliffhanger. And then didn't even sign BL. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 3

News article on this January 10th event:
Sara Bareilles, Andrew Rannells and More to Play Broadway-Themed Drinking Game for a Good Cause
By Darlene Aderoju     January 06, 2021
https://people.com/music/sara-bareilles-andrew-rannells-drunken-artists-drinking-game/ 

Stephen Amell and a bevy of his pals — including Sara Bareilles, Jenna Dewan, Andrew Rannells and more — will be having a raucous night of fun this weekend.

Starting at 8 p.m. on Sunday, fans can tune in to a one-night only livestream of the Drunken Artists Drinking Game, in which each celebrity player draws a picture representing a Broadway musical title while participants try to guess it in the quickest time possible.

All proceeds from each $25 ticket, available for purchase on Eventbrite, will go towards The Actors Fund, Black Theatre United and Project ALS. Donations to the latter will be made in honor of late actress Rebecca Luker, who died of complications from the disease in December.

Amell will be hosting the game night along with Broadway couple Patti Murin and Colin Donnell, who recently launched a red blend called Eleven O'Clock Number with Nocking Points Wines, a company co-founded by the Arrow star.
Others participating in the Broadway-themed game include Jelani Alladin, Annaleigh Ashford, Laura Benanti, Alex Brightman, Michelle Buteau, Kerry Butler, Reeve Carney, Donna Lynne Champlin, Michelle Collins, Gavin Creel, Mike Doyle, Scott Evans, Jamie Grayson, Justin Guarini, Erika Henningsen, Nikki James, Steve Kazee, Celia Keenan-Bolger, Telly Leung, Rob McClure, S. Epatha Merkerson, Eva Noblezada, Kelli O'Hara, Josh Segarra, Max Von Essen and Alex Wyse.

Edited by tv echo

Posting here instead of in Arrow Stars in Other Roles thread because KM talked about stuff other than The Stand - for example, she wants to start directing as well (from Jan. 14)...

Podcast links:
https://consequenceofsound.net/2021/01/the-losers-club-katherine-mcnamara/
https://anchor.fm/the-losers-club-podcast/episodes/The-Stands-Katherine-McNamara-on-Bringing-Julie-Lawry-to-Life-eovcv3

Edited by tv echo

Katherine McNamara - Instagram live 01/16/21
CelebFemales    Jan 16, 2021

-- When asked about her favorite scene filmed in Arrow, KM: "There were so many scenes. Honestly, it's very, very difficult to pick. Um, I loved working with Ben. All the Mia and William scenes - the fabulous Ben Lewis - were fantastic. But some of my favorite scenes were in the Russia episode with Stephen, just because we were at a point where we finally got to be that sort of father-daughter team, fighting side by side. Um, and that cage fight we got to do was one of my favorites. Also, just, you know, love a good Mia Smoak cage fight. Never gets old."

-- When asked if she will show up in the DC Universe again, KM: "I sure hope so."

-- KM: "I loved working with Stephen. I had a great time. He was so lovely and really took me under his wing and showed me the ropes or the bow string or however you want to call it - I was trying to make a pun and it just didn't quite work - but, um, showed me how to work the hood, as it were."

Edited by tv echo

New to me - from April 9, 2016...

Stephen Amell Reacts To Social Media Response To 'Arrow's' Big Death | Access Hollywood
#ShinChan   Jan 24, 2021

At the 2016 MTV Movies Awards, Stephen Amell tells Access' Liz Hernandez his reaction to how the social media world reacted to the death of the Black Canary on "Arrow." Plus, what can he reveal about "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows"?

-- Liz Hernandez (Access Hollywood): "I do want to talk to you about Arrow. Big death... How is this going to affect your character? That's what we want to know."
SA: "Oliver doesn't usually, uh, react to death very well. Normally there's a penchant for, um, vengeance and anger and, you know..."
LH: "Have you seen the fan reaction on social media? I mean, people are pretty -"
SA: "Passionate?"
LH: "Passionate about this."
SA: "People are pretty passionate and I know that, uh - look, passion comes with the territory of any kind of genre show. But especially and particularly comic book fans, I think, are incredibly passionate. And I never fault anyone for that."

Edited by tv echo

Well he admits now that the BMD ending was forced, and not just because the network needed a break up because the show would last longer than 5 years. Although he would probably still blame pacing and getting to plots A through D at the right time. 

That said, if someone is still thinking that's "the final blow" for them and yet the writers got them back together and made her William's beloved step mother and sole custodial parent not once but twice, then it's obvious that they don't agree with you. 

It's also funny that almost every other character had low points and terrible writing where they disagreed with Oliver and did shitty things yet Felicity/Olicity are the only ones that get brought up again and again years later to MG. Some people are angry shippers whether they admit it or not. Funny how a lot of them also want Oliver to dedicate himself to redeeming BS and fall in love with her despite her being a murderer who helped kidnap William. 

Surely there's a logical fallacy of accusing the writers of pandering to a small toxic minority? Surely if it was just that then they'd throw them a ship teasing bone once in a while and continue on their grand Lauriver plan? 

• Love 4

Ugh - my initial reaction was to respond to that guy complaining about Olicity, but I decided instead just to focus on MG's tweets...

My takeaways from MG's responses: (1) he once again acknowledged the chemistry between SA and EBR; (2) he acknowledged that the Olicity breakup in S4 was "forced"; (3) he kinda avoided specifically saying that he regretted killing off Laurel; and (4) he described KC's portrayal of Black Siren (not Black Canary) as "next level."

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

Ugh - my initial reaction was to respond to that guy complaining about Olicity, but I decided instead just to focus on MG's tweets...

My takeaways from MG's responses: (1) he once again acknowledged the chemistry between SA and EBR; (2) he acknowledged that the Olicity breakup in S4 was "forced"; (3) he kinda avoided specifically saying that he regretted killing off Laurel; and (4) he described KC's portrayal of Black Siren (not Black Canary) as "next level."

1) And never, ever talks about SA and KC in the same way. For obvious reasons IMHO but this seems to escape some of her fans. 

3) I don't think they regret killing Laurel at all for all they were apparently surprised (again) by the backlash according to WM. They had multiple chances to bring her back and they never did 

4) Black Siren was clearly more in her wheelhouse and actually got some good reviews. 

36 minutes ago, way2interested said:

S4 was also when Wendy became showrunner/co-showrunner, so I wonder how that affected sticking to the plan for 415.

Not sure. There was a lot going on BTS in S4 especially with the CW almost ceasing to exist. That might have had an affect on full steam ahead, oh wait, quickly stall them! Stuff. 

There was also someone's interview where IIRC they said they needed something big for Thea and Laurel to interrupt and that turned into a proposal and they had to figure out where to go after that because it was too soon to have them get married. 

On a side note, does anyone remember which con it was when SA let the cat out of the bag that either he knew it was Laurel in the grave from the beginning or he was given a short list and guessed?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Featherhat said:

On a side note, does anyone remember which con it was when SA let the cat out of the bag that either he knew it was Laurel in the grave from the beginning or he was given a short list and guessed?

I don't remember him saying this. (It's likely that there was a very short list-- Laurel and Quentin) I do remember that Emily said at the Paris con (which happened at the end of season 4) that she knew from the beginning the 3 characters definitely not in the grave were Oliver, Barry, and Felicity. And then of course there was KC who said she never even considered it could be Laurel (even though everyone else was worried it could be their character) and thought that no one would be in the grave.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Some of those memes were funny but all I can see is Barry doing that instead of Grant Gustin and I get really annoyed. I can't believe its been a year. Arrow was pretty much my last TV show (at the time not counting Netflix stuff that dropped later) that got to end normally. Tiny thing. but I'm glad they only had a half season instead of a full one.

3 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I don't remember him saying this. (It's likely that there was a very short list-- Laurel and Quentin) I do remember that Emily said at the Paris con (which happened at the end of season 4) that she knew from the beginning the 3 characters definitely not in the grave were Oliver, Barry, and Felicity. And then of course there was KC who said she never even considered it could be Laurel (even though everyone else was worried it could be their character) and thought that no one would be in the grave.

Thanks. Yes I remember EBR saying she knew she was safe. I'm just having a discussion about a whole other fandom with a friend who long story, ended up in a rant about how Arrow treated its female characters and only decided who to kill off a week before filming and did whatever shippers wanted which was a 😲 for me. We were discussing WandaVision and the MCU so I think she's maybe more of a comic purist than I realised. So long discussions about Arrow's writing problems aside, I remember a clip of SA being asked questions and he says there was a short list but at the end basically admits he knew. 

I remember KC saying she didn't think she was in the grave and also that the grave itself was a big fake out. Oh well. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1

KC has talked a lot about Laurel being killed off on Arrow in past comic cons...

During Salt Lake Comic Con on Sep. 2, 2016, KC said that she was told it was Laurel in the grave while she was attending a comic con in NY/NJ in January of 2016. I'm pretty sure  the comic con that she's referring to was the Heroes & Villains FanFest-New York (in Secaucus, NJ) on Sunday, January 24, 2016 (Sat. panels were cancelled due to snow). That weekend happened between the airing of 410 (Blood Debts) and 411 (A.W.O.L.). The episode that KC refers to (see below) in which Laurel put her father and Diggle on the stand was 416 (Broken Hearts, aired Mar. 23, 2016). The episode in which Laurel was killed was 418 (Eleven-Fifty-Nine, aired Apr. 6, 2016). So, according to KC at this con, she found out just after the 10th episode aired (while she was shooting the 16th episode) that her character would be killed off in the 18th episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmmGUlLU_vs

-- Mod: "But your character, Black Canary, got killed off this last season. What was it - what was that like for you? ... Did you know it was coming?"
KC:
“Uh, spoiler alert... Awkward... How do I feel about it? ... Um, no, I did not know it was coming, and it really sucked, and it still sucks. Um, I actually found out two episodes beforehand, uh, during the trial episode when Laurel basically, you know, goes up against - um, she - she puts her father on the stand and Diggle and - uh, the weekend before, it was actually during a convention, um, I was in New York or New Jersey doing, uh, Fan Fest and I found out literally, uh, on the Sunday just be - it was weird. I got an email from my producer and they were like, 'we want to have a meeting,' and I was like, 'can you just tell me now?' I just had this gut feeling and, um, you know, it's television, and this world especially, anything can happen, and I think that’s also, you know, a positive thing, if you think about it, because maybe, you know, they could bring me back, I don’t know. Um, so, yeah, it was - it was definitely tough, but I appreciate the last, you know, four and a half years that they - they wrote for me. And, um, you know, I had such a great arc as a character and as an actor, I had such an amazing character to play and -and  journey to go on. And coming up, you will see me in the premiere of Arrow, Season 5. Very exciting. And I will also be, um - they announced at Comic-Con, which I'm safe to say, uh, across all three shows, Flash, Legends and Arrow, for this next year. So I'm excited about that. Um, as Black Canary-slash-Laurel-slash-Black Siren, which was really awesome to play - spoiler alert for those of you who haven't seen Flash."

-- Fan Q: "Do you know why the producers cut you off from Arrow?"
KC:
“I don't. But I feel as though it could be some politics involved. I don't - I don't really know exactly. But, um, I do have to say, coming from a creative perspective, as a producer, if you kill off a huge - like a main character like that, it - the reaction from all the other characters, it’s creating a plateau for them, you know, to - a platform for them to jump off of; for each different character, and how they're going to react... It gives for more story, and I do understand that. And, um, you know, they - they were very good to me for many years and wrote for me for many years, so  I, you know, you kind of have to be - become at peace with things, come to term with things. That’s sort of how this business goes sometimes, and you kind of have to just grin and bear it, you know? Take a couple punches. You throw some back later on. Don’t worry."

-- Fan Q: "What was your first reaction about the Black Canary in Season 4, um, about Laurel, spoiler alert again?"
KC:
"Um, in all honesty, it was right before we did a convention, it was that weekend before, and I was in Jersey. It was during that Stormageddon - anyone remember? ... Maybe it's an East Coast thing. Do you know what I'm talking about? February, when there was like - it was like snow up to here? On the East Coast? We couldn't go to the convention on that Saturday, but that's when I found out about Laurel being the one that was in the grave. And I - I'll just be completely honest with you, I got off the phone with the producers and - I was on the phone with the producers and I was like, 'Um-hmm, I have to go now. I'm really upset, and I have to go. Thank you so much.' Hung up the phone. Had a hell of a night. Was obviously quite upset. Um, but I had so many friends around me, cast mates that, you know, they - they helped me through it, and John Barrowman, Stephen, they were great, great supporters. And also they had just found out and they were upset, too, and they knew the next day going to the convention, the final question on our panel - I have to, you know, going there on Sunday, smiling, the last question was, 'Who's in the grave?' And we're all just like, 'I don't know.' Ohh. (Mimes stabbing herself in the heart) 'I don't even think the writers know.' Dying inside. But, you know, it's - this is how this industry works, this is how television goes. Again, from a creative perspective, I understood and I - there was never any, you know, hard feelings towards them and any of - like, it was all a very - they were so good to me for so long, and stuff like this happens and you have to be a team player. And I feel like, you know, I took it and I'm a team player. And so, you know, whatever's gonna help the show, do - you know, different things are coming into Season 5, it's a great platform for all the other characters to launch into different, you know, emotional states. And I think Season 5 is going to be really amazing. It's going to be awesome."

During MCM Hannover Comic Con on May 20, 2017, KC talked about how she wasn't worried because she didn't think anyone was in the grave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJjYVn8piFc

-- Fan said that he really liked her "plot" with SA and always wanted "their relationship" to work out (I'm assuming he meant Laurel and Oliver), and asked if it was her decision to leave the show.
KC: 
"No, it definitely - it was definitely more of a... producer's decision, you know. Um, it's funny, because the whole season, every one of our cast, they - we would talk. Everybody would be like, 'who's in the grave? who's in the grave? who's in the grave?' I remember just - I was never really worried. [Unintelligible words] No one's in the grave. Who cares? Like, we're in this universe, you know. I didn't really ever - and maybe that was, you know, silly on my part. I don't know. It was - it was solely just the producers' and writers' decision. And... needing more writing material. I think that you kill off a main character, that gives you so much - all the other characters react to that. It's like a platform to write so much more. So, again, like from a producing standpoint and writing standpoint, I understood their - the decision. Um, I was not necessarily happy with it. Um, everything happens for a reason. I truly believe that. And, you know, it - it's led me to more and different - I don't want to spoil anything for you guys... It's branched off in a way that I'm very happy about. And I think you guys will be too. So even though it was hard during the time, hearing that I was the one that was in the grave, I was like, 'uhgh, I can't believe I even...' - I was like, 'I thought no one was in the grave, you're telling me now I’m in the grave?' And it was a tough decision, I think, but overall, you know, it - it was the right one and it's led me to a really awesome opportunity, and not necessarily gone. So, keep watching."

During Dutch Comic Con on Apr. 1, 2018, KC talked again about thinking no one was in the grave and finding out it was Laurel in February.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtBw1VSL4M

-- On how she felt when she found out about Laurel's death, KC: "Well, I cried, to be honest with you. I was, you know, obviously sad... It's so funny, we start the season, Season 4, and I'd been roommates with Danielle Panabaker and Caity Lotz - not at the same time, different times - Danielle, then Caity, and now Danielle again - and at the time, I was roommates with Danielle. And it was the beginning of Season 4 and I remember her asking me - and I think I mentioned this yesterday - and she had said, 'ooh, what if you’re in the grave?' I remember looking at her and being like, 'I don't even know if anybody's in the grave. This is television. Maybe there's no one in the grave. Who knows?' No. And then yes, cut to February and getting a phone call that Marc and Wendy wanted to have lunch to discuss things. And I'm like, 'oh crap, I'm in the grave.' ... It sucked, but it happens. I understood from a writing perspective, you know, producer's perspective, because it's a platform for all the other main characters, the storyline, driving them in different directions. And I'm really glad they brought me back. I'm having fun."

During Heroes & Villains FanFest-London on May 27, 2018, KC said that she found out around episode 13 or 14.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm5NodtST7c

-- On what it was like when she found it Laurel was going to die, KC: "It sucked, when I found out I was the one in the grave. It's funny, but it didn't - it's terrible to say this, but it didn't really occur to me until - I don't know,  how many episodes, 13, 14 - that I was going to be in the grave. I was like, 'nobody's in the grave, who knows who's going to be in the grave, this is television!' Um, yep, and then I got the phone call that I was the one that was in the grave. And I actually didn't know that they were going to bring me back. So, you know, it was definitely hard. I think it takes - you know, as an actor in general, it takes a real - It's hard, on your ego, on your confidence, on - it's just - it's hard. And, um - but I just thought, you know what, everything happens for a reason, and if it's meant to be, maybe we go find a way. And, sure enough, I got the phone call that they found a way, to bring me back! And, um, thanks to all of you guys because, um, we have really wonderful, loyal, the best loyal fans in the world. And I think a lot of - um, there were a lot of discussions going on online. And I think, you know - I just wanted to say 'thank you' 'cause I actually think it did sway the writers a bit, you know. [Unintelligible words] like, 'okay, shoot, maybe we should bring her back and make the fans happy.' Um, so I was grateful for that and, um, it's really fun to play a villain."

During L.A. Comic Con on Oct. 27, 2018, KC talked again about not expecting anyone to be in the grave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOTXmzEWuIQ

-- On what she thought of the initial decision to "remove" her Black Canary from the show, KC: "Dude, I was sad. I was so sad... These things happen... I did not expect it. I was - I don't any of us expected it, because, like, the whole season, the cast was like, 'oh, who's in the grave?' I was like, 'you guys, television, none of us are in the grave, c'mon.' And they were like, 'oh, maybe it's me, maybe it's me.' And then, of course, lo and behold, I get a phone call and it was me in the grave. I was like, 'oh, oh, okay, wow.' Um, I was sad, but, for whatever reason, I knew in my gut, it wasn't over yet. And so, it was awesome they brought me back the way that they did on Flash. I'm very happy."

During San Diego Comic-Con International on Jul. 20, 2019, KC again talked about finding out it was Laurel in the grave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5oY5OkBE7E

-- On what was the most surprising thing the writers ever threw at her, KC: "That they were killing me. I'm not kidding... Honestly, I don't think they knew who at the beginning of the season was going to be in the grave... What's so funny and silly also is, I, um, I remember, you know, Emily, a couple of [unintelligible word] were like worried that they were in the grave. I was like, 'You guys, nobody's in the grave, okay? This is television. It's fine. Don't worry about it.' Cut to two episodes before the episode they killed me. I got a text message from Marc. And here's where I have to say, like, I now know, like, I definitely need to just stick with my intuition and gut, 'cause all the text said from Marc was: 'Hi, Katie. Wendy and I are coming, uh, to Vancouver, and we would like to have a meeting with you,' uh, 'We'd like to sit down and talk to you. Uh, let us know.' I immediately - it actually came from his assistant. And I immediately like - anxiety was like...  (Gestures with hand rising up and makes 'hooo' sound) ... I text Marc. I was like, 'Marc, what's happening? I got this email from your assistant, and I don't feel good about it. Please don't make me sit through the weekend.' Because it was a Friday. And the meeting was on a Monday. And I had comic con that weekend as well. Uh-huh. And it was like that 'snowy' - uh, in New York... He was like, 'I'll call you tomorrow.' So we got on the phone, he told me, with everyone on the phone, and I just took a breath and said, 'Okay. Well, I'm really upset. Um, also, this sucks. Also, I have to go, because I don't want to say anything, I gotta go.' So I got off the phone and let myself have emotions and, you know, the whole thing. You know. And Marc said to me later on, um, on the final episode when they killed me off. He said, 'Would you ever be willing to come back and play as a guest star or -?' And I just said - and I think he thought I was going to be mad... I understood from a producer's perspective or a writing perspective, it's a launching pad for them to write for the other series regulars when he kills a series regular off, because everybody's going to react. So I understood from their perspective why. Um, so I said to him, 'Absolutely.' I said, 'Look, I love the show. I believe in the show. I always have. I always will. And yeah, I would absolutely come back for an episode or two.' And a couple weeks later, Flash called and they were like, 'We want to bring you back as Black Siren. Would you be interested?' I was like, 'Hell, yeah. That's awesome.' So I went over to Flash. And then I think Marc saw the episode and saw the reaction to the episode and decided he wanted me - you know, the fans wanted me to come back. I wanted to come back. So they were happy to have me back. So it all worked out in the end. But someone obviously was in the grave, and it was me. So lesson learned. Don't - yeah - it's good. Humbling."

ETA: FYI, Colin Donnell had a six-year contract and he was killed off at the end of the first year. During SA's April 18, 2020 Instagram video chat with CD and Andrew Harding, SA’s Nocking Point partner, it was revealed that CD found out that Tommy was going to die at the end of S1 "somewhere around the 17th episode."
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_IsNL2hNVh/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

MG's comments in 2016...

'Arrow' Boss Explains Grave Shocker: "We Knew That It Would Enrage a Lot of People"
Sydney Bucksbaum   April 6, 2016
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrow-laurel-dies-katie-cassidy-881297

"Arrow is always a show that's evolving. Every character arguably except for the Arrow is fair game," executive producer Marc Guggenheim told reporters following a recent screening. "We started off this year with a promise of a death and when we worked our way through our various creative choices, we realized that the thing that will give us the most pop going into the end of the season, going into next season, unfortunately would be Laurel."
"We knew that it would enrage a lot of people," Guggenheim said. "We're not immune to the [fans rooting for Oliver and Laurel] and we're not blind to it. We knew people would think, in the season where Oliver and Felicity get engaged and Laurel dies, that's clearly making a choice about who's going to end up with who. We told the Laurel/Oliver romance story in season one. We never really thought about going back to it. [Fans rooting for them] was not an element or a factor for us."
"We recognize that that upsets a lot of fans, particularly the comic book fans," Guggenheim said of Laurel's death. "In the comics, Dinah Lance and Oliver Queen are in a romance together in various iterations. To some people, that is considered canonical and iconic. We respect that, but at the same time, we've always made no bones about the fact that we are telling our own version of the Green Arrow mythos. ... But it made the most creative sense for us going forward despite the fact that we love Katie. Every time we've killed off a character on the show, it's really been for the affect on all the characters left behind."
"Not getting a chance to work with Katie day in and day out is tempered by the fact that we now live in a world and universe where there is resurrection, parallel earths, time travel and flashbacks," Guggenheim said. "We have all these different ways of keeping Katie in the Arrow-verse family. In fact, you will see her on an episode of Flash playing the Earth-2 version of Laurel Lance. Katie is reprising her role as Laurel of Earth-1 to be in Vixen season two. Death does not mean goodbye on any of these shows."
"We made a creative choice and we're sticking to it," Guggenheim said. "We're recognizing that Black Canary and Laurel have an incredibly loyal fanbase and Katie has an incredibly loyal fanbase but the show has never been just about the comic book history. It's never been just about one or two different particular fanbases. We make the creative choices we feel benefit the show as a whole and the story we're telling overall."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

SA and DR comments in late 2015...

Arrow season 4: Stephen Amell talks about the mysterious funeral scene in episode 1
Arjun Varma    November 30, 2015 
https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/arrow-season-4-stephen-amell-talks-about-mysterious-funeral-scene-episode-1-1531116 

During a recent appearance at Heroes & Villains Fan Fest in US, Arrow star Stephen Amell was asked if he now knew who was in the mysterious grave, to which the actor jokingly replied: "It's not me." He then added, "That's not for me to know. That's for our producers to know." (via ComicBook)

"It's only for me to know if and when I need to do something if we end up doing another flash forward in the show. I needed to know certain things about the scene without knowing who it actually was when we did the initial flash forward. I just needed to simply know that the person I wanted to kill was a him and that the person that was in the grave was someone I cared a lot about. That's all I needed to know. I don't need to know the specifics until if and when we shoot another flash forward scene if there was something else that I had to say."

Arrow: David Ramsey shares his theories on who's in the grave
By Natalie Abrams Updated November 25, 2015
https://ew.com/article/2015/11/25/arrow-grave-dead-theories/ 

Oliver’s right-hand man is not immune to suffering the consequences, though Ramsey notes there’s one possible explanation why it’s not him: “I would think that Diggle would have more in terms of the military ceremony,” he says. “There would be flags in place. You would think that, but maybe the flag was out of frame, so it could be Diggle.”
Since both Oliver and Barry were at the gravesite, the popular theory is that Felicity has fallen. “I just can’t see them messing with that relationship,” Ramsey counters. “Also, I don’t even know if [Oliver] would be able to talk if it was Felicity. He would just be so broken.”

ETA: I can't find the source for SA saying that he knew who was in the grave since the beginning of S4, but I do recall reading about it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

ETA: I can't find the source for SA saying that he knew who was in the grave since the beginning of S4, but I do recall reading about it.

I've seen it too. I remember he was sitting behind one of those large con tables. Someone was sitting on his left. It might be another guest or the moderator, I don't know. It was definitely after season 4, or after 4x19 aired. The question was something like "is it still true that you didn't know who was in the grave when you shot the episode". Stephen said no. There was some chatter in the room and they moved on to another question. 

Edited by RS3
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, RS3 said:

I've seen it too. I remember he was sitting behind one of those large con tables. Someone was sitting on his left. It might be another guest or the moderator, I don't know. It was definitely after season 4, or after 4x19 aired. The question was something like "is it still true that you didn't know who was in the grave when you shot the episode". Stephen said no. There was some chatter in the room and they moved on to another question. 

Yes, that's it, glad I'm not just imagining it. I've done soon googling but I can't find it at this late stage. Doesn't really matter, I just thought it was interesting what we all do and don't chose to take as gospel. Some won't believe a word out of MGs mouth about why Olicity started but will take that "we truly didn't know who's in the grave until episode 16/17 (right before they called KC to tell her)" and not hearing the evidence for "but we had a pretty good idea who we planned to be in the grave at least and had a back up just in case."  And of course, I've also picked and chosen what I believe from BTS as well but I try to evaluate it based on some sort of quantifiable metric. 

Re: The idea that 2049 Oliver was supposed to be the one Sara had met before but had lost his marbles. That DEFINETLY didn't come across like that. It ended up looking like Sara and Ray had been wrong and they hadn't gone to that parallel earth before because that Oliver seemed sane enough for a lonely, anguished guy and just desperate to tell a Sara that he hadn't even seen on the Amazo how sorry he was. Whereas the other Oliver was the same up until S4 (baring pre Flashpoint JJ) and just diverged afterwards. 

56 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Some won't believe a word out of MGs mouth about why Olicity started but will take that "we truly didn't know who's in the grave until episode 16/17 (right before they called KC to tell her)" and not hearing the evidence for "but we had a pretty good idea who we planned to be in the grave at least and had a back up just in case." 

Cherry picking information comes with every fandom. People will only hear what they want to hear if they had already made up their minds about something or someone. I only remember that particular bit of SA's con because it was a big deal when he said it. The hiatus between s4 and s5 was, by far, the worst the arrow fandom has ever been. It was a cesspool of negativity. Both sides were angry at the writers and even more angry at each other. So having that be confirmed by SA, well let's just say we were a little giddy. And petty. No, the writers didn't go in blind and they didn't make a last minute decision. The only ones who didn't know who was gonna be in the grave by the time 409 aired were BC stans (and the skeptics who didn't think they had the guts or the means to fire her). Execs lie to avoid big spoiler leaks and actors have to fall in line if they want to stay in their boss's good graces, which is exactly what happened with SA and the grave storyline.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Re: The idea that 2049 Oliver was supposed to be the one Sara had met before but had lost his marbles. That DEFINETLY didn't come across like that. It ended up looking like Sara and Ray had been wrong and they hadn't gone to that parallel earth before because that Oliver seemed sane enough for a lonely, anguished guy and just desperate to tell a Sara that he hadn't even seen on the Amazo how sorry he was. Whereas the other Oliver was the same up until S4 (baring pre Flashpoint JJ) and just diverged afterwards. 

If that was the plan then they failed on the launchpad. I enjoyed the visit to Earth whatever 2049 but, other than Sara and Ray making assumptions, it had nothing to do with the 2049 episode from LOT season 1. Oliver hadn't lost an arm so was the intention to be that the LOT episode happened later? Then why was LOT Oliver in control of his faculties while Crisis Oliver lost his mind?

When MG makes these kind of claims I wish he'd follow up with more details because it seems more like someone in the room thought it would be a great idea, it got vetoed, and they forgot to change the initial comments from Sara and Ray which caused more confusion. SIGH.

Colin Donnell and his wife, Patti Murin, were guests on this show yesterday (a lot of silliness)...

Villain: DeBlanks with Guest Host Brenda Braxton | Stars in the House, Saturday, 1/30 at 8 PM ET
Stars In The House    Streamed live on Jan 30, 2021

It's Guest Host Week!  Join host Brenda Braxton for... Billy Mitchell's Villain: DeBlanks (a fill-in-the-blanks comedy) *A madcap Mad-libs murder mystery adventure with guests Carly Hughes, Patti Murin, Colin Donnell, Barrett Foa, Lesli Margherita and Frank DeCaro!

Two Wizard World panels featuring former Arrow actors, David Nykl, Teryl Rothery, and Dolph Lundgren, from yesterday (I have not watched these videos, so I don't know if they made any Arrow-related comments)...

STARGATE | SAT, JAN 30TH | 1PM PT, 4PM ET
Wizard World   Streamed live on Jan 30, 2021

with Alexis Cruz, Cliff Simon, Corin Nemec, David Nykl, Joe Flanigan, & Paul McGillion & Teryl Rothery!

DOLPH LUNDGREN | SAT, JAN 30TH | 4PM PT, 7PM ET
Wizard World   Streamed live on Jan 30, 2021

Edited by tv echo

FYI: Less well-publicized than MG's comment (that they told the Laurel/Oliver romance story in S1) is this comment by then-EP WM...

‘Arrow’ Producer Teases Laurel’s Return, Introducing Talia al Ghul Ahead of Midseason Premiere
Jacob Bryant   Jan. 25, 2017
https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/arrow-producer-teases-laurels-return-talia-al-ghul-midseason-premiere-1201969626/

Does [Laurel's return in 5x10] affect Oliver’s relationship with Susan Williams (Carly Pope)?
[Wendy Mericle:]
I think the short answer to that is no. Any sort of romantic relationship between Laurel and Oliver we pretty much put to bed in Season 2.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

This upcoming comic con features individual Q&A panels with the following former Arrow/Arrowverse guest actors...

Creation Entertainment's Virtual Fan Experience: Weekend with Lucifer Stars, March 12-14, 2021 (Zoom, StageIt)
Guests: Kevin Alejandro (also Tom Welling and Tom Ellis)
https://www.creationent.com/vfe/vfe_luci.html 

Esri9LsXEAAk5V2?format=jpg&name=small

ETA: This comic con was rescheduled from February to March.

Edited by tv echo

Next weekend's comic cons (updated, with schedules)...

GalaxyCon's Arrow Virtual Experience, February 20, 2021 (Virtual Event)
Juliana Harkavy, Ben Lewis, Amy Gumenick, Anna Hopkins, Michael Rowe and Nick Tarabay
https://galaxycon.com/blogs/07/feb-20-arrow
-Sat. (2/20) at 4:00pm ET - Arrow Live Stream Q&A Panel with JH, BL, AG, AH, MR and NT
-Sat. (2/20) at 5:00pm ET - Individual Video Chats with JH, BL, AG, AH, MR and NT

Dream It At Home 8, February 20-21, 2021 (Virtual Event)
Katherine McNamara and Juliana Harkavy
https://www.eventbrite.fr/e/dream-it-at-home-8-tickets-136703508875
Sunday Schedule
-Sun. (2/21) at 8:00pm CET* - Arrow Meeting Room with KM and JH
-Sun. (2/21) at 9:05pm CET* - Arrow Panel with KM and JH
-Sun. (2/21) at 9:35pm CET* - Arrow Quiz with KM and JH
-Sun. (2/21) at different times - Individual or 3-On-1 Video Chats with KM and JH
(* CET, or Central European Time, is 6 hours ahead of EST)

And two weekends from now...

Spectrum Celebrity Events: Ben Lewis Virtual Q&A, February 27, 2021 (Virtual Event)
Ben Lewis
https://spectrumcelebrityevents.simpletix.com/e/62639
-Sat. (2/27) at 2:00pm ET - Virtual Q&A with Ben Lewis

Edited by tv echo