Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Trisha said:

He’s so salty about the Variety article which is odd because A) I assumed he was around that range anyway B) the article was mostly about how the new California law and the influx of shows via streaming has changed things for actors — especially women and POC, and C) if he doesn’t want people to read it, why draw attention to it?

https://variety.com/2018/tv/features/tv-salaries-top-stars-2018-1203008118/

Amell stays Amell. Is he pissed that we know that he is rich and gets paid very well for being an actor?

• Love 9

Remember how he had a fit over that article that talked about how much money celebs (including him) made from cons? I totally believe the numbers they put out for the con article and his per ep salary. I really feel like he wants people to think he's under paid, especially after that podcast he did complaining about his salary back in the early days.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

Remember how he had a fit over that article that talked about how much money celebs (including him) made from cons? I totally believe the numbers they put out for the con article and his per ep salary. I really feel like he wants people to think he's under paid, especially after that podcast he did complaining about his salary back in the early days.

I kinda get him being upset about that article about the cons because it wasn't presented in the best way for the actors "Stars Getting Rich Off Fan Conventions: How to Take Home "Garbage Bags Full of $20s" - bad headline, LOL. But yeah - he does seem to be sensitive about money, and it's not like he hides having it on his social media. You can't really fly in private planes, spend your whole summer on vacation, and have party after party after party most weekends unless you're fairly well off. I guess he just wants to be seen as a man of the people with 3+ houses and access to jets and liquor partnerships and such!

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

You can't really fly in private planes, spend your whole summer on vacation, and have party after party after party most weekends unless you're fairly well off. I guess he just wants to be seen as a man of the people with 3+ houses and access to jets and liquor partnerships and such!

This right here! He wants to live the high life, and he does, tho I bet he has bigger money goals. I feel like he wants people to think he works so hard, for very little, because he's just so great. He loves his fans so much, that he works for pennies lol. I think most of us know he's been fairly compensated.  Let's be real if he were making 30-60k an episode, he'd be much more vocal about it. I mean, this dude went on a podcast basically threatening not to sign on for an 8th season. I don't think anyone else in DCTV has more self worth than him.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

This right here! He wants to live the high life, and he does, tho I bet he has bigger money goals.

Obviously I don't have access to his bank accounts so I don't know what's really going on there, but I think he's set himself up pretty well. I have no doubt that he was terribly paid in the beginning, but he admitted that he got a pay raise, so I'm sure he's fairly compensated for Arrow now. He has his stake in HVFF, in the agency he has where he books talent to cons, in Nocking Point - he's done a lot leveraging Arrow for other business opportunities! I mean, I don't know how well they'll all fare once Arrow is over if he doesn't get another fairly high profile job soon after, but I don't know why he raises a fuss about money. He has a lot to be proud of IMO, and he doesn't have a problem detailing it on Instagram, haha. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

Remember how he had a fit over that article that talked about how much money celebs (including him) made from cons? I totally believe the numbers they put out for the con article and his per ep salary.

Oh yeah, he was *so* angry about that one, which was weird because he agreed to be interviewed for it. What did he expect it to be about? Variety is not a trashy tabloid. Yes, the headline and image (which was actually from a charity con) weren’t great, but the writer likely had no say in either of those things. The article itself was solid. If anything, his haul was probably under-reported. I remember talking to a volunteer who was working his booth during a con, and the amount of people she estimated that went through in his line during those two days was over 2k. At $80 a pop that’s an incredible amount of money for a weekend’s worth of work - and that doesn’t factor in photo ops and appearance fees.

I know he’s not the most emotionally mature person about this stuff, but he can’t have it both ways. He can’t talk about his salary on podcasts as a negotiating tactic, and then demand no one talk about his salary.

• Love 11

I don't know how they do it, but another weekend of partying in a new city (New Orleans) for the Amells and the Jar...

I don't know how they do it, but another weekend of partying in a new city (New Orleans) for the Amells and the Jar...

• Love 1

Next weekend's comic cons (updated, with spoilers)...

Supanova Brisbane, November 9-11, 2018 (AU)
John Barrowman and Manu Bennett (also Dean Cain)
http://www.supanova.com.au/events/brisbane-2018/guests/
Event Programme (page 32)
-Fri. (11/9) at 3:00pm - 'DC Universe' panel (incl. Dean Cain and Manu Benett)
-Fri. (11/9) at 5:30pm - Torchwood panel (incl. John Barrowman)
-Sat. (11/10) at 11:30am - Dean Cain panel
-Sat. (11/10) at 4:30pm - John Barrowman panel
-Sun. (11/11) at 2:00pm - Manu Bennett panel
-Sun. (11/11) at 4:00pm - John Barrowman panel

Also coming up:
UAlbany Alumni Association: "Person Place Thing with Randy Cohen" live podcast recording, November 13, 2018 (New York, NY)
Featuring guest Marc Guggenheim '92 (at 6:30pm)
https://www.alumni.albany.edu/s/1642/02-alumni/index.aspx?sid=1642&pgid=2306&gid=2&cid=5795&ecid=5795&post_id=0

11 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

@Soulfire I think Emily puts more energy into raising Ophie than the Amells do to raise their kid. Also I always get the impression SA trots the kid out for a few pics when he wants good publicity as a loving father. 

I don't disagree. Seems like the most solid decision the Amells ever did was hiring a nanny. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

@Soulfire I think Emily puts more energy into raising Ophie than the Amells do to raise their kid. Also I always get the impression SA trots the kid out for a few pics when he wants good publicity as a loving father. 

For someone who said the crossover was so hard you'd think he'd go straight home. Makes no sense. 

Edited by olicityfan25
  • Love 5
On 02/11/2018 at 11:19 AM, Trisha said:

He’s so salty about the Variety article which is odd because A) I assumed he was around that range anyway B) the article was mostly about how the new California law and the influx of shows via streaming has changed things for actors — especially women and POC, and C) if he doesn’t want people to read it, why draw attention to it?

https://variety.com/2018/tv/features/tv-salaries-top-stars-2018-1203008118/

Stephen Amell has first world problems. Poor soul. 

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Also, I still can't believe Arrow wasted a guest star like Alex Kingston. 

I wonder sometimes if they had bigger plans and scrapped them.  Because it makes no sense otherwise.  

• Love 1
23 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:
Also, I still can't believe Arrow wasted a guest star like Alex Kingston. 

They kinda had to. Once Laurel became irrelevant, there was no reason for Dinah to show up. 

This show couldn’t be bothered to show a decent relationship/friendship for Felicity and Thea when she was still around but wants me to buy into this redemption of that killer via Felicity. No, thanks. 

• Love 16

Has SA welcomed Older Zoe yet? Will be interesting to see what words he uses.

I'm not overly fond of the direction of the show but I think Tonya did ok in terms of writing what she had to write. It wasn't a dumpster fire like some eps of Arrow in previous seasons. hehe I say this as someone who tunes out Dinah 95% of the time so maybe I'd give Tonya less credit if I had to actually pay attention to Dinah.

• Love 2
On 11/5/2018 at 7:06 AM, Mary0360 said:

Stephen Amell has first world problems. Poor soul. 

I can see how he would view it as an injustice though.  He's not part of a true ensemble (like Game of Thrones), he's the star of the show that helped spawn a bunch of successful spinoffs.  He has to do more physically than a lot of other actors and he's been doing it for seven years.  However, he's making a lot less than a bunch of kids on a netflix show.

He might also be irritated about how all of the broadcast dramas shown are cable/streaming except for some CW shows.  Where are the NCIS stars, or the Chicago stars? 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

I can see how he would view it as an injustice though.  He's not part of a true ensemble (like Game of Thrones), he's the star of the show that helped spawn a bunch of successful spinoffs.  He has to do more physically than a lot of other actors and he's been doing it for seven years.  However, he's making a lot less than a bunch of kids on a netflix show.

He might also be irritated about how all of the broadcast dramas shown are cable/streaming except for some CW shows.  Where are the NCIS stars, or the Chicago stars? 

It seemed to me like he was more pissed off that his salary was made public and he couldn't pretend like he is a struggling actor to his fans and dude bros. Sort of how he got angry that the Hollywood Reporter reported that he can make $200,000 a weekend at cons that he tried to claim was fake news even though he was quoted in the article. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, way2interested said:

Same. She's not the first person to have an episode to do those things, and slow your roll, you are episode 4.

Not even the first Arrowverse show to do it. LOT has pretty much done it every week the last couple of seasons. At one point Arrow had 4 female regulars and rarely passed so I guess this is progress. I do wish Felicity and Thea had had more than a bare handful of scenes though.

Re Alex Kingston it's difficult to tell. The show has a habit got getting well known/good actors and wasting them.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Re Alex Kingston it's difficult to tell. The show has a habit got getting well known/good actors and wasting them.

What set her apart in my mind is the role of Laurel's mom is a throwaway role except for that part where she had the original mask of BC in the comic lore.  To bring in Laurel's mom meant something and got the fandom excited.  There's no way the showrunners wouldn't have known that but If they never had any plans to do anything with her, why would they tease and stir up the audience like that with the special casting when any no-name local would have been fine? 

The audience would still have had expectations no matter who was cast,  but how do you lure in a big name in the sci-fi world without at least making them think they are getting a special part? 

The only other thing I can think other than aborted plans was they brought her in as a big fat red herring but honestly, that just feels like trolling at that point and the show was so young when it happened, would they really have done that?

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

What set her apart in my mind is the role of Laurel's mom is a throwaway role except for that part where she had the original mask of BC in the comic lore.  To bring in Laurel's mom meant something and got the fandom excited.  There's no way the showrunners wouldn't have known that but If they never had any plans to do anything with her, why would they tease and stir up the audience like that with the special casting when any no-name local would have been fine? 

The audience would still have had expectations no matter who was cast,  but how do you lure in a big name in the sci-fi world without at least making them think they are getting a special part? 

The only other thing I can think other than aborted plans was they brought her in as a big fat red herring but honestly, that just feels like trolling at that point and the show was so young when it happened, would they really have done that?

Hmm. The reason I wasn't sure that they had aborted plans for her is that her first episode was late in the season when they were planning on dismantling LL to a certain extent anyway and setting up Sara isn't dead as well. And Sara had no need of following in her Mom's footsteps, Laurel ended up Single White Femaling her sister instead. Maybe she was hired months before when she was pitched a bigger part, more than just heart broken mother? Both she and Laurel ended up quite awful in the episode, which is appropriate for a dead sister/daughter storyline I guess. She didn't show any physical badassery when kidnapped by Nyssa either and in early S1 LL put any physical skills down to cop father. 

I could also see she was just an "easter egg" casting. I think I tend to forget that a lot of "big(ish) sci fi names" are also often local Vancouver actors so not a huge amount of logistics is needed. AK isn't but JB wasn't originally supposed to be as big a character as he became, although way more than DDL ended up. It's obviously difficult to know as we don't really know how Laurel's trajectory changed and when. I don't think she would have been BC much quicker, even if KC and the storyline had worked out better but Dinah might have hung around more as Donna ended up doing. 

• Love 2

MB talking about Deathstroke at Comic Con Panama two weekends ago (no spoilers)...

#COMICCONPANAMA2018 Q & A @manubennett @peterfacinelli @jdfffn Part 4
Published on Nov 7, 2018, by Jennifer Perez

#COMICCONPANAMA2018 Q & A @manubennett @peterfacinelli @jdfffn Part 5
Published on Nov 8, 2018, by Jennifer Perez

Tonya seriously is the biggest twit. Promoting that article after the shit bomb they dropped on us in Ep 4. I hope the fandom (politely) crucifies her. 

Stupid woman. The fandom can be nervy about Felicity at the best of times and she tries this now?????

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Haven’t read the article but read some of the replies to her tweet and saw a screenshot of one she liked and “yikes” may be putting it mildly. 

Yeah. The author comments on the writers finally giving fandom what they wanted (Felicity’s death - the comment linked to her dying on LoT), when they least expect it. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if she agreed with every word in the article (obviously, given the tweet she liked), but I don’t think tweeting it out was a great decision, LOL. I think she just likes the adulation of ~her work. 

• Love 2