Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

You'd think she'd be more prudent knowing what the Felicity fandom is like. 

If I was the fourth canary actress I'd be scouring them articles so as not to offend the legions of Felicity fans especially if I'm debuting soon and you've got shippers who might be out for blood if she's the next canary LI.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Pretty much. In terms of anti Felicity articles it was fairly tame and just waxing poetical on the romance to end all romances that is Green Arrow and Black Canary.

You mean the part where Comics!Ollie was cheating on her from Day 1 and then they got divorced?

She's probably excited to see articles about her/her character since this is her biggest role to date and hasn't totally got to grips with do's and don'ts of actors in fandom yet. And as Midnight Lullaby says, angle for a regular gig next year and her chances only increase if she gets "this BC is awesome, Felicity sucks!" notices. Life of an actor I guess.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Featherhat said:

You mean the part where Comics!Ollie was cheating on her from Day 1 and then they got divorced?

Details. That's just part of what makes Black Canary such a bang up girl. That she can show compassion and forgiveness to Green Arrow because he deserves it.

Mainly I had to laugh at the author acting like he doesn't have a sexist view of strong females "I love Felicity, she's totally strong and a hero, but she's not an equal to a man because she doesn't wear spandex is all"

• Love 5

The lack of even minimal social media guidance from her new employers is also hilarious. Like, it's a two minute convo. "You got Twitter? Okay, so if you post anything even slightly negative about Felicity and/or O/F, be aware you'll be saying goodbye to your mentions forever." That's it.

• Love 14

I'm just curious.  Why do fans of the GA/BC romance always disregard the BOP portion of her history?  Because that was the context in which I first learned about her, yet it's hardly ever mentioned by comic fans going on about the "epic" romance.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

The lack of even minimal social media guidance from her new employers is also hilarious. Like, it's a two minute convo. "You got Twitter? Okay, so if you post anything even slightly negative about Felicity and/or O/F, be aware you'll be saying goodbye to your mentions forever." That's it.

I'm a huge Felicity fan and I find the Felicity fandom slightly terrifying.

What amuses me is EBR has a pic of lost gloves on her instagram right now.  Did she EVER try to promote herself back in the day?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I'm just curious.  Why do fans of the GA/BC romance always disregard the BOP portion of her history?  Because that was the context in which I first learned about her, yet it's hardly ever mentioned by comic fans going on about the "epic" romance.

I don't know much about comics but if I had to take a guess based purely on my exposure to comic fans in the Arrow fandom it's probably because it's a side piece Green Arrow is seen as entitled to like how James Bond always has to have a hot woman at his side who falls instantly for him to prove his masculinity as a character.

3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

What amuses me is EBR has a pic of lost gloves on her instagram right now.  Did she EVER try to promote herself back in the day?

I don't think she ever really had to. The bonus of being a fan favourite.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Wasn't there some an underlining vibe with Black Canary and Oracle?

Maybe they don't want that acknowledged.

I'm sorry but I find this so ridiculous. Can't they see how stupid it is to have a fourth black canary? the show doesn't need her and some of their best episodes don't even feature a Laurel or a Sara.

Even though if I had to pick, I'd pick Sara.

I feel like they should give guidance to the newbies: "You can piss off the Felicity fans, or you can piss off the Comics fans, but you can't piss them off at the same time!"

Oh how I wish they gave social media training to the people on this show.  It's not even the CW or the Arrowverse shows that are the problem--the folks on the Flash and Supergirl are fine--its just that the cast on this show seems to ignore polite/effective social media interaction. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

BOP kinda ignores that Dinah and Oliver have a relationship, and more so -- it establishes that Dinah's most important relationship is with Babs. If you're more into BC/GA than Black Canary on her own, then it makes sense to me if those fans are ignoring BOP.

13 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

LOL yeah, they're terrifying! [And I say that with love.] But it is why new hires should be TOLD ABOUT IT. 

• Love 7

The article got edited to remove the part about Felicity not being an equal.  

But way before I got to the end I was laughing how they completely skipped over Sara and Oliver's relationship.  Absolutely no mention of the lunge, just saying Oops!  She's gay and in love with Nyssa so can't have the epic GA/BC relationship.  The Felicity slights also have her not being mentioned as part of Oliver's team going into season four (everyone else is mentioned) and the implied characterization of all of season four as Oliver dealing with his failed relationship with Felicity.  And that they couldn't possibly get back together.  

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I feel like they should give guidance to the newbies: "You can piss off the Felicity fans, or you can piss off the Comics fans, but you can't piss them off at the same time!"

And poor Tinas very exsistence achieves both. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

the implied characterization of all of season four as Oliver dealing with his failed relationship with Felicity.  And that they couldn't possibly get back together.  

I feel like some people think if they say this enough times, it'll become true. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

BOP kinda ignores that Dinah and Oliver have a relationship, and more so -- it establishes that Dinah's most important relationship is with Babs. If you're more into BC/GA than Black Canary on her own, then it makes sense to me if those fans are ignoring BOP.

LOL yeah, they're terrifying! [And I say that with love.] But it is why new hires should be TOLD ABOUT IT. 

I think I never had much interest in Green Arrow was because the only mentions about him in BoP painted him as a dope who didn't deserve Dinah. 

Nightwing, on the other hand . . .Dick and Babs were my OTP.

• Love 4

And didn't GA have a really popular run where it was just him and the Green Lantern traveling the country and righting wrongs?  I don't get this mantra of BC being that important to GA.  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Agreed. I've seen this A LOT. "There's no way Oliver and Felicity can get back together after he killed Billy accidentally" ... Even though Oliver and Felicity originally got together after he fake killed her in Ras gas cage but okay.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Scary thing is, I've seen it work in real life.  There was this lower lever manager that had a driver that worked with her that she constantly made up crazy complaints about and the higher up manager would just roll his eyes and tell everyone to ignore her since he knew the truth, but three months later he fired the driver.  I asked what happened to just ignoring her because she was just making trouble.  He flat out said since she kept saying it, he had to take her seriously despite it still being the exact stuff he and the driver had been able to disprove.   I think it's a form of brainwashing.  You keep hearing the same thing so eventually even if someone knew better, they start thinking it has merit.  

It's why it's important not to leave some statements unchallenged. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I think it's a form of brainwashing.  You keep hearing the same thing so eventually even if someone knew better, they start thinking it has merit.  

It's why it's important not to leave some statements unchallenged. 

Without breaking the rules of the forum this is especially important for the real world!

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 8

I'm sort of half and half with JH RTing that article. I understand she wants praise and support for her role. Who wouldn't? She wants to become a season regular and good press helps. Totally get it. But it's kind of tasteless (if that's the right word, IDK) to RT something that knocks down other female characters, especially ones who have been there since the first season (and you've literally had ONE scene so far). I guess it just demonstrates that people are out for themselves? Because sorry but I don't believe she 'missed' the part with the Felicity bashing. Suuuuuure. *eye roll*

• Love 12

I know nothing about GA and BC other than what these writers have given me the pleasure to watch. Ya poor me.  I don't understand why we can not just have Sara pop in when necessary.

I really don't understand why these writers need to bring Felicity's character down in any conversation so they can build up this so called great relationship between the GA and BC. They should be able to state their argument without involving her. Whether they like Felicity  or find her significant should not matter if BC is such a great character.  Unfortunately, this is their third or fourth attempt and I am not interested because at the end of the day BC does nothing for me in this show.  I am sure she is a great character in the comics but she is not needed on Arrow unless it is Sara (for me).

I hate it when these articles try to pin one female against another. It is just unnecessary.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I'm sort of half and half with JH RTing that article. I understand she wants praise and support for her role. Who wouldn't? She wants to become a season regular and good press helps. Totally get it. But it's kind of tasteless (if that's the right word, IDK) to RT something that knocks down other female characters, especially ones who have been there since the first season (and you've literally had ONE scene so far). I guess it just demonstrates that people are out for themselves? Because sorry but I don't believe she 'missed' the part with the Felicity bashing. Suuuuuure. *eye roll*

I'll give her some leeway because she deleted it but it's pretty dumb as door knob to tweet an article bashing the popular lead of the show before your own big debut episode has even aired. Especially since the Felicity/Olicity fans are probably her best chance at getting traction since the comic dudebros aren't in the mood to help regardless of how hot she might be.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I'll give her some leeway because she deleted it but it's pretty dumb as door knob to tweet an article bashing the popular lead of the show before your own big debut episode has even aired. Especially since the Felicity/Olicity fans are probably her best chance at getting traction since the comic dudebros aren't in the mood to help regardless of how hot she might be.

IDK, I don't think she'll have much trouble winning over the comic dudebros, unless they're hardcore "BC = LL and no one else!" fans. But it was a bit crass, especially when there is a concern that Felicity's importance might be lessened once Tina as BC is on the show. And also because EBR has never RT'd an article bashing anyone and is nothing but supportive of female characters/friendships. She even said it was a mistake to kill off BC. And then here's this new actress already knocking her character down to prop hers up, unintentionally or not. It's not great.

But it's a good sign she deleted and apologized. Can't say the same for other actresses...

• Love 3

It was dumb. Liking an article that was not just pro BC, but pushing BC/GA romance? Is that something she wants? Hopefully she is not going to follow KC pushing for romance. 

If she is smart, she will approach this from a female empowerment angle and ignore the romance, because she is treading on toes all over the place.

People who wanted LL/OQ are already pissed that Tina is here with the canary meta cry they wanted for LL, giving her more of the stuff they wanted for LL will not go down well. Either will sidelining Olicity for more BC/GA hints at romance.

i never expected a Tina/Oliver lunge. I thought we would get gaslighted by having small hints of romance that could be seen as plausible deniability, where when questioned the writers/EPs could be all 'oh we aren't writing romance, that's just their amazing chemistry (no matter if said chemistry exists or not) but who knows? Us writers follow where the story takes us, and with this chemistry.....' 

To be clear, I think it would be insane, it would be rating suicide. But I think with the ratings the way they are, they need to course correct quickly, so I think that brings the chance of BC/GA right down. It's a bad gamble ratings wise, however I did watch the hubris of TVD and it's spin off TO writers disregard everything their audience vocally wanted because of 'artistic integruity' so unfortunately logic can be absent.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I don't think they disregard it. I think it is more of "We have BC in Arrow so we like them together". If God was good and we had gotten a BoP spin off with Laurel, I don't think there would be much fuss over her not being with Oliver while she is on her own.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ladylaw99 said:

I know nothing about GA and BC other than what these writers have given me the pleasure to watch. Ya poor me.  I don't understand why we can not just have Sara pop in when necessary.

I really don't understand why these writers need to bring Felicity's character down in any conversation so they can build up this so called great relationship between the GA and BC. They should be able to state their argument without involving her. Whether they like Felicity  or find her significant should not matter if BC is such a great character.  Unfortunately, this is their third or fourth attempt and I am not interested because at the end of the day BC does nothing for me in this show.  I am sure she is a great character in the comics but she is not needed on Arrow unless it is Sara (for me).

I hate it when these articles try to pin one female against another. It is just unnecessary.

Exactly why Felicity will forever be important to Oliver and the show in general. She's the only female character and CW or DCTV character to be on prestigious lists. That pains them and it makes me so giddy. 

There's no BC on that list. It's Felicity.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MaisyDaisy said:

To be clear, I think it would be insane

Especially -- they're filming 17. That means 18 is written and in prep, 19 is also written and in legal/notes/rewritings mode, and 20 has been broken. IF they've written anything romantic between Oliver and Tina anywhere between episodes 12 and 20, they're doing it before audience feedback re: Tina's reception. Considering this show's past attempts at love interests were all out-right rejected by the audience... it WOULD be insane.

Any other normal regular human-logic show and I'd bet 100% sure they wouldn't EVER do this, after having to spend all that time between 102 and 223 trying to replace an endgame love interest. But then I remember Guggenheim exists in nature and he doesn't seem to be use human logic.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 22

From that ScreenRant article:

Tina Boland looks to finally provide all the necessary components to gel into a Black Canary well-matched to Arrow‘s remorseful, stubborn, and heroic Oliver Queen. As much as the desire for  an”Olicity” romance still dominates the hearts of many Arrow fans, that ship seems to have sailed for those two characters. It makes sense for a superhero like Oliver to be with someone who knows the trials and dangers of fighting the evils of Star City in her alleys and on her rooftops.

For fans of the comics, the pairing of Green Arrow and Black Canary just feels right. They balance each other, watch each others’ backs in the midst of battle, and save each others’ lives. Black Canary makes the Green Arrow more human, and a better man. She pulls him from the abyss he too often skeeters towards, and she does it with wit and style. Without Black Canary, Green Arrow is incomplete. They are a package deal, and frankly, Green Arrow and Black Canary simply belong together. After five seasons and two previous attempts, Arrow may finally have found Oliver Queen the Pretty Bird he’s always needed

The first argument makes no sense. Felicity has been with Oliver through almost 5 years of crime-fighting.  I think she knows "the trials and dangers of fighting the evils of Star City in her alleys and on her rooftops." She may not have been with him physically all the time, but she's certainly monitoring him throughout and providing necessary backup. She's also been out in the field with him.

The second argument also makes no sense. Over almost 5 seasons, Felicity is the one who has been shown to "balance" out Oliver, to watch his back "in the midst of battle" and to make Oliver "more human, and a better man." Oliver & Felicity have saved each others' lives on multiple occasions. Felicity is the one who has been shown to pull Oliver back "from the abyss." So is the show just going to start all over again, with Tina doing everything that Felicity has already done? Is that what the EPs meant by S5 being "back to basics" and a "reboot"?

That entire ScreenRant article's arguments really just boiled down to one thing - Because Comics.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 24

The problem with this entire article is that it's written before we see anything about Tina. We've had one scene with her, and  no one from the cast was in it. This writer is assuming that because she's going to be the new BC, she's going to be the comics' BC? What, because she has the metahuman canary cry, she = comics Black Canary?

(Also, please don't bring "pretty bird" into this. I really don't want to hear that on Arrow.) 

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Hehe did she really promote an article that says the Olicity ship has sailed?

That has got to be the dumbest thing to do a few days before your debut. I'm surprised Olicity fans are not out for blood!

Olicity fans were out for the writers blood which is where it should have been directed. I mainly saw Olicity fans civilly questioning why Juliana would tweet something like that on her @'s but its tarnished her rep slightly.

And if anyone needs to get a fandom on side it's probably her as she is the most controversial of this seasons new editions. She really should take tips from Echo or Charlotte on how to win friends and influence people. 

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, tv echo said:

From that ScreenRant article:

The first argument makes no sense. Felicity has been with Oliver through almost 5 years of crime-fighting.  I think she knows "the trials and dangers of fighting the evils of Star City in her alleys and on her rooftops." She may not have been with him physically all the time, but she's certainly monitoring him throughout and providing necessary backup. She's also been out in the field with him.

The second argument also makes no sense. Over almost 5 seasons, Felicity is the one who has been shown to "balance" out Oliver, to watch his back "in the midst of battle" and to make Oliver "more human, and a better man." Oliver & Felicity have saved each others' lives on multiple occasions. Felicity is the one who has been shown to pull Oliver back "from the abyss." So is the show just going to start all over again, with Tina doing everything that Felicity has already done? Is that what the EPs meant by S5 being "back to basics" and a "reboot"?

That entire ScreenRant article's arguments really just boiled down to one thing - Because Comics.

Yep You should also be aware that he actually edited this article after he got called out for it on Twitter. I'm pretty sure in the original article he wrote " it makes sense for Oliver to be with someone who is his equal".... Implying Felicity is not.

Its the douchiest most sexist and typical male comic asshat version of feminism article ever and IMO the author trying to defend himself and his "support" for Felicity/Emily was worst then the article itself.

He literally said in one tweet that he thinks Felicity is a hero but she's just not right for Oliver because she doesn't wear a costume to defend his argument.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, ladylaw99 said:

I hate it when the show does it too - which the show blatantly did this past episode. And frankly, they did it subtly for 5 years.

• Love 5

She looks great. That's the best hair and makeup on her I've seen in a while. And she looks so much prettier when she smiles like that, instead of her usual closed mouth, tight lipped smiles. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 6