Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Posting here because it's about Beth Schwartz, Arrow's Co-Executive Producer, and has some interesting b-t-s stuff...

BULLSEYE!
January 24, 2017
https://www.thejewishnews.com/2017/01/24/bullseye/

Although it was nothing more than a drama assignment, it arguably marked the start of a successful career in television writing. Schwartz is now a co-executive producer and writer for the popular CW superhero series Arrow. The show follows Oliver Queen, a secret vigilante crime fighter whose weapon of choice is a bow and arrow — based on DC Comics’ Green Arrow, created by Mortimer Weisinger.
“Beth is one of those rare people who is both a great person and a tremendous talent,” says Wendy Mericle, one of the showrunners (head writers) of Arrow. “She has fantastic story sense, a big heart and,most important, a great sense of humor. One day, we’re all going to be working for her.”

Schwartz is one of seven writers on the show, but her role is unique because she is the writer who facilitates the brainstorming sessions for story lines and then presents the best ideas to the show’s producers.

In her five seasons with Arrow, Schwartz has become the go-to person for any Jewish content on the series. The last episode to air before the mid-season break incorporated the idea of Gematria into the story line. Gematria is a kabbalistic practice where each Hebrew letter has a numerical value. Although she didn’t write that particular episode, she has had a hand in incorporating other Jewish references into the show.

“I’m the super-Jew in the room. Probably from my Hillel education,” says Schwartz, who spends time teaching actress Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity, one of two Jewish characters on Arrow) about Judaism. Around Rosh Hashanah, the two enjoyed apples and honey on the set. Rickards posted a picture of it on her Instagram account. 

Although Schwartz cannot discuss upcoming episodes, she did say that

she had to make a recording of a Hebrew prayer for one of the actors to learn. Even the name of the prayer or the particular character couldn’t be revealed.

Edited by tv echo

I think their Sally Up challenge is cute. I know some people will think this is a bunch of PR for the show but it's clearly not because :

• If it was, then they clearly failed considering this challenge started before the mid-season premier which had subpar numbers... So why keep doing it? 
  • If it was, then they would've told people to tune in on Wednesday to watch
  • They would've  talked about the show a bit and talk about how felicity is training as well? 

If anything this is PR for the gym they work out at. 

Regardless, it's clear these two actors are close. I enjoy seeing them interacting like this because they have a great dynamic. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 13

Facebook! This is the Bring Sally Up Challenge. (Thanks Moby.) The song is 3:24. I attempted this last Friday to the tune of 90 seconds. Today I hit around 2:05 before dropping a ferocious F-Bomb. (You've been warned.) My good friend / co-worker / rock climbing buddy Emily Bett Rickards purportedly completed the challenge. Not surprising really... she likes the yogas. I will keep attempting until my shoulders stop acting like assholes.Thanks again to T3 Athletics. for a phenomenal week of training.

What amuses me is the fact that he really seems to want to make it. There is now a certain, playful, competition going on. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

Stephen also referred to Emily as his "rock climbing buddy".

Do they actually go rock climbing or is that a jab at people who read blind items? Their relationship is on the rocks, sharp jagged rocks. (paraphrasing)  SA admitted once he googles himself to see what people are saying about him but not to him. There were also some tweets that the blind was posted to his FB page but disappeared quickly. 

I'm not trying to start anything. LOL!  I've just found this week highly entertaining.  Keep it up.

As for all the training he's doing, there are rumors that a celebrity American Ninja Warrior will be happening.  No official confirmation.  I actually don't watch many of his videos anymore but I've seen 2 small clips in the last 2 weeks focusing on grip strength which is vital for that competition.  His fan base has always wanted him to go on the show.  My guess is he could do a one-shot appearance but not a multi-week competition (from a time perspective).          

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

As for all the training he's doing, there are rumors that a celebrity American Ninja Warrior will be happening.  No official confirmation.  I actually don't watch many of his videos anymore but I've seen 2 small clips in the last 2 weeks focusing on grip strength which is vital for that competition.  His fan base has always wanted him to go on the show.  My guess is he could do a one-shot appearance but not a multi-week competition (from a time perspective).          

I've been wondering if an appearance on ANW is still on the table (either a celebrity edition or the original).  Time-wise, he'd need way more time for training than filming.  On the original, they do the city qualifying and finals over two days and then just stretch out the airing for each city.  The Vegas finals are then also done over a few days.  My guess is a celebrity edition would mirror the city format, taking a minimal time to film.  I admit to being really curious how he'd do.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, JenMD said:

I've been wondering if an appearance on ANW is still on the table (either a celebrity edition or the original).  Time-wise, he'd need way more time for training than filming.  On the original, they do the city qualifying and finals over two days and then just stretch out the airing for each city.  The Vegas finals are then also done over a few days.  My guess is a celebrity edition would mirror the city format, taking a minimal time to film.  I admit to being really curious how he'd do.

I'm thinking a celebrity edition is the only way that his time availability & perhaps his contract would allow him to do it. The regular one just has too many time commitments, and perhaps too much risk. But I could see the CW/WB granting him permission to go to a celebrity edition because it could raise the profile for the show and/or network.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh wow. CD was dating that Zelda? I never made the connection.

I was told when RW died and when people were asking Stephen why he doesnt speak about it, that the Arrow cast were close to Zelda, his daughter and that she dated Colin. 

I love the side by side of those videos.  I can definitely see the yoga advantage in that one.  EBR wraps her shoulders and keeps her arms straight, SA bends his arms slightly and keeps them straight, making him fight with them.  That's got to be so painful, yoga experience or not.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, kismet said:

I'm thinking a celebrity edition is the only way that his time availability & perhaps his contract would allow him to do it. The regular one just has too many time commitments, and perhaps too much risk. But I could see the CW/WB granting him permission to go to a celebrity edition because it could raise the profile for the show and/or network.

The regular one isn't that much more of a time commitment, though, if you mean filming-wise.  One weekend for city qualifying/finals and a couple of days in Vegas (in June, when Arrow's not filming) and that's only if (and it's a big if, imo) he could make it through (or get a wildcard).  Celebrity edition would probably be same time frame as the city filming (I'm doubtful they'd bother with having the celebrity athletes also run the Vegas rounds when so few actual ninjas can complete them).  I think his most recent comment about it that I can recall was that his contract didn't preclude him from doing it, should he be asked. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Purportedly?  Ass!

You know I took it as a joke until I saw his response agreeing with the woman who explained that what Emily did was easier since she is lighter and has less muscle definition. 

Not sure why he (or anyone) felt the need to undercut what Emily achieved except that he is really not good at knowing when to stop.

• Love 10

SA is a super competitive dude bro. I'd be surprised if he didn't trashtalk.  

Anyway, I'm enjoying the fact that EBR was the first to complete the challenge, with a big smile and way better form too, right up until the end. 

M1MoEaz.gif

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 13
12 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Anyway, I'm enjoying the fact that EBR was the first to complete the challenge, and with way better form too, right up until the end. 

It's also nice that Stephen keeps bringing up she finished the challenge and complimenting her and how NOT surprised he is that she completed it because of her skill (and how she likes the yogas lol). It's not like he hasn't been supportive of her from the beginning.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Velocity23 said:

Matt Iseman, the host of American Ninja Warrior, has been very interactive with the Arrow fandom regarding SA taking part in the show and just like WWE using Felicity Smoak as part of it.

It seems like he's genuinely a fan... He's been tweeting about her for a while now haha

• Love 7

SA did tweet this summer that he'd do it and ANW tweeted back he's totally welcome.  I just don't think he's had enough training lately to be in the kind of shape he'd need to be to do well on that show.  It's so much more than just being fit or ripped.  I just don't think his filming schedule allows for the specialization even though I think he's been trying.  

What I'd love is to see EBR try out.       

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

SA did tweet this summer that he'd do it and ANW tweeted back he's totally welcome.  I just don't think he's had enough training lately to be in the kind of shape he'd need to be to do well on that show.  It's so much more than just being fit or ripped.  I just don't think his filming schedule allows for the specialization even though I think he's been trying.  

What I'd love is to see EBR try out.       

True. That's why I wonder if he'll be at the Celebrity edition, since I imagine they might modify it to allow more celebrities to do better. As it stands now, I don't think he has the skill set for it. He has some of the skills, but not the critical ones that make or break contestants.

• Love 1

I think it's a great message and I appreciate that that's what she's putting out there.  However the character turns out to be, I like the actress.

(Even if I'm thinking, that's easier to say when you start out wit the tall thin body that's the fashion ideal.)

• Love 5

I sometimes wonder about the skinny line... is it something TPTB learned from previous experience. Because KC certainly lost a lot of weight, and I can't imagine that came just from her idea. Also CL mentioned that she was not the CW type, but that could have been on her opinion and not actually from an interview.

I do think healthy body image posts are good. I do wonder about the angle. Then again she was going for a body selfie which is not easy. I'm glad we didn't get some facial shot or boob pic. And it did seem more athletic pose than sexy pose. Although the booty message kinda laughs at that message in the face. I also wonder if shes look for something from LuluLemon, since that pose shows off their logo and would fit their brand.

• Love 1

Sorry, but I took her post as a big ole humblebrag about her ass. LOL. That pose looks weirdly similar to the terrible pose with LL/BC on the CW promo stuff last season. Is Juliana trying to mimic that pose but can't put her face in it too?

Didn't LuluLemon have a big controversy about their yoga pants being so sheer you can see all your parts?

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 8

Don't get me wrong, I think she looks great! And I don't think there's anything wrong at all with working hard on your body and being proud of it and posting pictures of it. I just think that her messages are at odds with the pictures she's choosing to go along with them. 

• Love 9

I think she's totally bragging and I have to say it's not unwarranted. Compared to one of the promo pics for next episode there is a big change in a short amount of time

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 1

Oh I think she looks good too, and I think it's fine for her to post what she wants on her Instagram page but I feel like that whole thing reads like a humblebrag. "I'm too skinny for this action role but look at what working out has done for my ass". 

I feel like EBR and Caity are promoting over all physical fitness and maybe Harkovy will post more that seem more about fitness than aesthetics. 

• Love 1

I think she has a great body but I always roll my eyes when celebrities that have very skinny bodies post about how it's not necessary to be skinny to be beautiful. I agree and it's a good message but let's not pretend they don't work out and stay on a diet to be exactly the Hollywood ideal, LOL.

• Love 20
2 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I think she has a great body but I always roll my eyes when celebrities that have very skinny bodies post about how it's not necessary to be skinny to be beautiful. I agree and it's a good message but let's not pretend they don't work out and stay on a diet to be exactly the Hollywood ideal, LOL.

Yep This!

Ive no doubt that the Flarrowverse have personal trainers and probably dietitians all paid for and easily fitted into their let's be real fairly relaxed schedules. 

But hey real women don't stress about what you eat, don't worry if your not skinny, we are just like you.

• Love 2

When I started going to the gym and training in October, @t3athletics, @james2bambamford, and the @cw_arrow team told me something women don't hear very often in Hollywood. "You don't have to be 'skinny'. Be strong."

Yeah, I confess my head instantly went to wondering if they were speaking from past experience and what does NOT work.  Still, it's a nice thing for any actress to hear.  The ones saying it probably know they are going to get skinny right along with strong, but it has to help with the strength training and work outs if the actress isn't near fainting from lack of calories.  

10 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I'm assuming Juliana tweeted an Anti Felicity article judging by Twitter which she removed and apologised for. Did anyone see what the article was?

I'm not on twitter!!! Tell me what happened! Plzzzzzzzz

16 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I'm assuming Juliana tweeted an Anti Felicity article judging by Twitter which she removed and apologised for. Did anyone see what the article was?

She clearly didn't read the article before supporting it. *rolls eyes* 

Seriously it was such a dumb move for her. Always read articles before you support them!

But at least she apologized. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2

I skimmed the article. It's long and not really on a topic I'm interested in, but the gist seems to be that they want GA and BC, and they waited for that with Laurel, only she failed both when it came to chemistry and when it came to fighting. Yes?

Thanks @Midnight Lullaby

I read it. It wasn't the worst anti Felicity article I've seen but I understand the annoyance at the dismissiveness of Felicity.

Mainly it was blah blah blah Comics are awesome blah blah blah Green Arrow ceases to exsist without Black Canaray blah blah blah maybe we will finally have the epic GA/BC romance blah blah blah Felicity doesn't wear a mask or fight villains dammit she is not Olivers equal like the greatest Black Canary who ever greatest blah blah blah 

Honestly I think Juliana is going to follow the grand tradition of canary actresses who tweets and gets off on anything that is unanimous praise of her characters greatness so I'm assuming she didn't even see past the glowing praise to notice the stuff about Felicity, so I'll give her a pass because she deleted it.

I feel like whoever wrote that article wanted to stir up some controversy. I only skimmed it but I found too many points I disagree with to want to read all of it. 

ETA: We've only had one scene with Tina so far. I think it's a little early to write any articles praising or criticizing her. We haven't even seen her in any scenes with any of the main cast yet. 

Edited by insomniadreams88
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, bijoux said:

I skimmed the article. It's long and not really on a topic I'm interested in, but the gist seems to be that they want GA and BC, and they waited for that with Laurel, only she failed both when it came to chemistry and when it came to fighting. Yes?

Pretty much. In terms of anti Felicity articles it was fairly tame and just waxing poetical on the romance to end all romances that is Green Arrow and Black Canary.

• Love 1