Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Really, though, women who worry about getting too big from lifting don't know their biology.  A normal woman doesn't make enough testosterone to get "big," no matter how much she lifts.  I lift about as much as the hipster dudes at my gym [ie, definitely nowhere near a strong/muscly man, but in the same ballpark as the skinny ones] and my arms are just kind of slight and ropey, def not "big."  Rest assured that someone like Caity is lifting far more than the average girl worrying about getting too big, and she seems pretty slight to me.  I mean, ripped, but lean.

• Love 1

That is true, but it is also possible for women to overtrain their obliques, which leads to a thicker waist.  Not a bad thing in itself, but doing thousands of crunches will not spot-tone the belly and give a stereotypical hourglass figure. 

Of course, I think that the solution is to get more images of CL and other athletic women out there so people can see that sexy comes in many forms; maybe then people can focus on exercises that they like and that make them feel good without trying to achieve one sort of "ideal."

(edited)

I wonder if she took something, or if that's CGI enhanced because that's an awful lot of arm muscle..  (Manu Bennett is open about taking things for some of his roles.)

sakura, do you recommend Krav Maga?  I got up to a green belt in judo but that was years ago.  I'm not sure I'm up to sparring now.

Edited by statsgirl
(edited)

Krav Maga is very physical, it's mostly drills and sparring. I like it because it shows you what to do if you are attacked out on the street. You are taught how to disarm someone with a gun or a knife, what to do when someone attacks you from behind or the front. It's a defense martial arts so it's completely different from the rest of them where you have to memorize forms and things.

I wanted to learn Kali stick fighting, the place I go to has that too, but right now Krav Maga is enough for me I'm drenched when I get out of that class. lol.

Edited by Sakura12

Thanks for those articles Zalyn good stuff! Good to know about the abs, looks like I'll stick with my 30-40 crunches a day lol. Wow, Sakura yeah I saw a clip, I wish it was playing in my area.

I think I need to be in better shape before I attempt Krav Maga.

That picture of all the female athletes is amazing!  Thanks for posting it, Zalyn.  (Why does nobody there have hips?  If you have hips, does that mean you can't be an athlete?)

I'm going to print out the work-out too (skipping to part about getting 60% of your calories from fat).  This is a good place to get motivated to get into shape.

• Love 1
(edited)

Totally is. Although I just inhaled two chocolate granola bars ha! But I had en epicly good workout today complete with jumprope so to the victor go the granola spoils. Decided to take y'alls advice and watch Arrow from episode one this summer, on ep one now. The parkour moves he just did were awesome, no stunt double eh?

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

I also really appreciate the fact that Arrow shows us the ripped characters working out.  Not just for pervy purposes [though full disclosure, I've watch Caity do the salmon ladder more times than my wife would approve], but because most shows have a beautiful, fit cast who are never seen working on their bodies.  I don't think it's the standard itself on tv that's unrealistic, it's that achieving that standard is never depicted.  You too can look like that, America.  But it's a lot of fucking work, is the thing.  So I like that Arrow has established that Oliver, Diggle, Sara et al aren't just naturally ripped, they actually work very hard to maintain that standard.

• Love 4

I appreciate that too. It's very a+b=c which is definitely missing on other shows, they very much give the impression of "ooh I was born this way" I like the overall message on Arrow that hard work and sacrifice lead to results and you get that from all of Team Arrow so it's good.

(edited)

I guess those are some serious abs eh? Can't see them that well but she looks awesome. She said on twitter or insta she just started another film so looks like she got in even fitter shape for it.

ETA Finally saw CL on the salmon ladder on the show. Woooow like 4 rungs! She's so badass.

Edited by slayer2

Since the cast seems to be trying to be at as many comic cons as they can, here's a place we can post the ones we're going too (and share pics or stories) or post where they'll be. These are the ones I know about.

Caity Lotz is at Comic Con Chile this weekend.

Eek Comic Pop Fest Saint Albert, Alberta - Stephen Amell this weekend.

http://theeek.com/

Wizard World San Antonio August 1st - 3rd - John Barrowman and Manu Bennett

http://www.wizardworld.com/home-sanantonio.html

Wizard World Chicago August 21st - 24th- John Barrowman, Michael Jai White and Katie Cassidy.
http://www.wizardworld.com/home-ch.html

Since I went to Walker Stalker con and met the trio and Manu I can't afford to get to Wizard World Chicago this year. 

• Love 1
Eek Comic Pop Fest Saint Albert, Alberta - Stephen Amell this weekend.

St. Albert is about twenty minutes outside of Edmonton, and only five hours away from me. Sadly, I do not drive and my sister who I watch the show with is busy this weekend, otherwise I would most likely have boughten tickets just now. I'm kind of bummed that I didn't know about it before today. 

(edited)

statsgirl, oh I'm sure there's a bus but I'm not sure about the schedule for it as my city is a smaller one so buses have really strange schedules- and while it would still be a great time it just wouldn't be as fun to go by myself! One of these years I will get myself to a con...And speaking of comic cons as luck would have it my sister's wedding is actually the same weekend as this years SDCC. So I'm going to be checking this thread for any news whenever I get the chance. 

Edited by HighHopes

If I could, I would go to a small con rather than a big one like SDCC.  There are three near me (no one from Arrow booked yet). Two are huge and scary.  The third is a small one run by fans and while the stars aren't as big, you get a chance to know them better.  (Peter Davison of Dr. Who/Albert Campion was a real sweetheart last year.)

SDCC is huge but it's worth it. I went in 2008. It's even better because you don't have to pay for autographs like you do everywhere else. Meeting Jensen Ackles and John Barrowman were the highlights for me. 

The smaller ones are more intimate, I actually got to talk to Manu Bennett and Emily Bett Rickards at Walker Stalker con. 

(edited)

I live in San Diego and I have never been to Comic-Con.  I feel kind of ashamed:(.

Holy shit, sakura12, you met Ackles and Barrowman? Are they as wonderful and more beautiful than I already think they are? They seem like it.

Edited by catrox14

I live in San Diego and I have never been to Comic-Con.  I feel kind of ashamed:(.

If I lived in San Diego I'd be there every year even if I had to stop eating to do it. I'm from Chicago so that was one expensive trip just for that. 

Holy shit, sakura12, you met Ackles and Barrowman? Are they as wonderful and more beautiful than I already think they are? They seem like it.

Yes, yes they are. 

• Love 1

Man....that's......sigh.......I'm going to internet shake your hand, sakura12 and pretend I shook Ackles and Barrowman's hands via you. 

I don't know why I've never gone, mostly time, money, life interruptions. I was thinking about going this year but my nephew is getting married and I'll be out of state for that.  I also could never find anyone to go with me because most of my IRL friends thinks that stuff is stupid and too crowded and it felt a bit intimidating to go by myself. 

Yeah, I have that problem with my IRL friends too, that's what my brother and sister are for. As the older sister I got them into the same shows I watch. I went with my sister to SDCC. It is very crowded, I'd hate to live around the convention center. 

So many people are going to Wizard World Chicago this year and I don't have the money. The venue is perfect for me for the cons here because it's 5 minutes from my house. We rarely get anyone good but this year they've been managing to get people. 

I also could never find anyone to go with me because most of my IRL friends thinks that stuff is stupid and too crowded and it felt a bit intimidating to go by myself.

Maybe we could connect with other people to go with here on the board so we wouldn't have to go alone.

SDCC is too far away for me but something closer and more affordable I could do. 

• Love 1

Stephen Amell Phoenix ComicCon June 5-8 (only on the Saturday)

https://phoenixcomicon.com/guests/1118

He posted yesterday on Facebook that now he'll also be there Friday night.  He said something about "overflow" and he hoped this would take care of it.  Awesome guy.

He'll also be at Denver Comic Con - June 13th to 15th (as of right now, he'll only be there on Saturday the 14th)

http://denvercomiccon.com/dcc/guests/stephen-amell/

(edited)

I just came back from the gym where I painstakingly skipped through the last half hour of The Listener {they took Arrow off of demand for some reason} felt like a boss, a suffering, sore, boss. Thanks Arrow! I still want a bar that I can do crunches on though, I blame that on Amell and The Tomorrow People's John.

Edited by slayer2

Oh whoaaa! She totally got ripped up! Awesome thanks! That really helps, especially since I just came from the gym {more motivation for Friday}. Also this 

Does anyone know if Amell had any gymnastics, free-running or just regular gym training before he started this? That backflip off the wall is pretty impressive if not, well heck it's impressive anyway, Caity does it too. Caity.is.sick.
  • Love 2
(edited)

Emily and Colton are in London promoting Arrow for Warner Bros, they heading to Madrid on Monday and will be meeting some private event that is organized by some TV blogs i think. They even have a contest so two fans will get the chance to meet the pair. 

So if anybody is from Spain they can join the contest. Here is the contest in Spanish:

Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity) y Colton Haynes (Roy) estarán el lunes en Madrid, y dos afortunados fans podrán conocerles. Si quieres ser uno de ellos, cuéntanos en esta publicación por qué Arrow es tu serie favorita. Los dos comentarios que mañana (a las 11:00 de la mañana) tengan más "Me gusta" ganarán una invitación (individual) para el evento de prensa que tendrá lugar a las 8 de la tarde en el centro de Madrid.

Edited by Velocity23

I didn't know Colton was gay. Not that it matters! Just didn't realize.

I have a friend who followed him since early beginning of his career and he says he was far more open about his preferences. Posted intimate pics, photoshoots and that those are still on tumblr and the net. 

I have a friend who followed him since early beginning of his career and he says he was far more open about his preferences. Posted intimate pics, photoshoots and that those are still on tumblr and the net. 

Yeah, I think you can still find those out there. He keeps things more private now, but I do chuckle a little about the Tumblr belief that he and EBR are a couple.

• Love 1

They didn't go to NYCC last yeah either, maybe it's a filming issue? Or perhaps they were sent to NYCC in 2012 by WB/CW to increase attention for the show. Would have been right around the series premiere

They weren't at the NYCC in 2013, no.  the big shows were The Killing (Kevin Bacon), the Walking Dead and Sleepy Hollow.  Agents of SHIELD was there, too, but they only had "FitzSimmons" and a lot of very disappointed people............

I'm not sure why the WB/CW didn't have a presence in NY.  None of their shows were at the con.  No clue who's going to be there this year.  Tickets go on sale soon but the program doesn't get announced until later.  We're going on Sat & Sun.

I happened to accidently flip the channel to Fashion Police today just as Katie Cassidy came on.  Mostly it stuck to her dad and fashion, but  Joan Rivers mentioned that everybody on Arrow looks amazing and KC said they have trainers and it's part of their job to stay in shape.  I guess the show pays for their trainers.  (Kelly Osborn and the rest of the talking heads got all envious about that). 

So I guess the fact that we hear stuff about EBR training doesn't have to mean much of anything (though it's a very nice perk) and it also makes me wonder if all of KC's talk about her upping her training is all stuff she's initiated rather than it being a mandate from the show. 

(edited)

This week Katie Cassidy was on The Fashion Police (that E! show with Joan Rivers, where they look at what celebrities wore the past week and either praise or make fun of them).  She looked quite healthy and happy. 

Does this count as a public appearance? She seems to be popping up everywhere lately.

Edited by tv echo